Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,152 members, 7,811,296 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / . (1665 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by AheadAhead123: 1:58pm On Dec 29, 2019
Re: . by AheadAhead123: 3:35pm On Dec 29, 2019
Abeg, no just read, tell me abeg o.
Re: . by HappyCanadian: 5:23pm On Dec 29, 2019
AheadAhead123:
Hello My people of Nairaland. I had to open this moniker to make this enquiry. I am a contributor in this platform. I am a mature male and married.

I am making enquiries about Ghana or any Country (Africa or not) I can easily move to WITH my family and start a business in. Please if you live(d) in Ghana, especially if you have done business, kindly furnish me with your experience. I just need a change of environment, so don't tell me to stay blah blah bla. FYI, I didnt vote so, dont tell me to enjoy what I voted.

I considered Qatar/Dubai, Japan, Ivory Coast, Senegal, The Gambia, London etc but salaries in those countries for legit jobs for non-expat immigrant (like cleaning, security etc isnt good for a family man and some, like Japan needs one to go via study)., languare barrier - which one can learn anyway.

I have read many posts about Ghana, and is considering it based on language similarity with Naija (Ivory Coast too is good) but I thought it wise to ask specific questions.

My Questions are:
1. How much is the cost of rent (self con to 1 bedroom flat?
2. What LEGIT and lucrative businesses can one engage in? You may tell me inter-border business or businesses that I don't have to travel out of Ghana to do (sourcing, supply etc).
3. What is life like there?
4. I read about 90-day window after which I have to apply for residency, how do I go about it?
5. What affordable areas of Ghana do you advise a businessman to live and rent a shop? Current average rent in those places? How secure are those areas?
6. Any legal or taxes etc issues to consider?
7. How much is ok to relocate with?
8. I know that I can go from Lagos here (Maza Maza) with or without intl Passport, where do I do currency exchange?
9. How is healthcare cost for foreigner like?
10. How is schooling for kids like (costs, standard etc).

Please, as a family man, I have to plan and I can only do legit business over there, any business registrations, etc?

Please help someone's Daddy!

cc: ifyalways, justwise, basalt, NONNYG, HappyCanadian, Vanhooijdonk, murphy02
Bros, in as much as I don't have all the info, but Google has all the information u just wrote out there, let me add mine.. in terms of relocation for lucrative business > Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia, Mauritius and Morocco tops the list but I would prefer "Rwanda" because the country is growing massively in all growth index. Browse more, inquire about Nigerians living in your preferred country of choice and get those information u asked it is way more easier, this is where Nairaland comes into play, get the info and japa!.. Good luck!
Re: . by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 29, 2019
AheadAhead123:
Hello My people of Nairaland. I had to open this moniker to make this enquiry. I am a contributor in this platform. I am a mature male and married.

I am making enquiries about Ghana or any Country (Africa or not) I can easily move to WITH my family and start a business in. Please if you live(d) in Ghana, especially if you have done business, kindly furnish me with your experience. I just need a change of environment, so don't tell me to stay blah blah bla. FYI, I didnt vote so, dont tell me to enjoy what I voted.

I considered Qatar/Dubai, Japan, Ivory Coast, Senegal, The Gambia, London etc but salaries in those countries for legit jobs for non-expat immigrant (like cleaning, security etc isnt good for a family man and some, like Japan needs one to go via study)., languare barrier - which one can learn anyway.

I have read many posts about Ghana, and is considering it based on language similarity with Naija (Ivory Coast too is good) but I thought it wise to ask specific questions.

My Questions are:
2. What LEGIT and lucrative businesses can one engage in? You may tell me inter-border business or businesses that I don't have to travel out of Ghana to do (sourcing, supply etc).
4. I read about 90-day window after which I have to apply for residency, how do I go about it?
5. What affordable areas of Ghana do you advise a businessman to live and rent a shop? Current average rent in those places? How secure are those areas?
8. I know that I can go from Lagos here (Maza Maza) with or without intl Passport, where do I do currency exchange?

Please, as a family man, I have to plan and I can only do legit business over there, any business registrations, etc?

First thing is to get legal papers to work there before relocating. You have to obtain a valid residence permit first and work permit. and will be able to apply for permanent residency after fulling the following requirements: Many Nigerians go there on a visitor visa and stay there illegally and setup shops and businesses which is not the way to go.
This are the requirements to obtain permanent residence:
-Has resided in Ghana for more than 10 years and can prove that they have made a substantial contribution to the Ghanaian economy; or
-Is married to a citizen of Ghana for a minimum of five years and that foreign national:
-has resided in Ghana throughout the period of twelve months immediately preceding the date of the application.
-has immediately preceding the period of the twelve months, resided in Ghana for an aggregate period of not less than two years.
-has not been convicted of any offence and sentenced to a period of imprisonment of twelve months or more.
-intends to reside permanently in Ghana upon the grant of the status; and
-is in possession of a valid residence permit on the date of the application.
Re: . by NaijadrivaCars: 11:06am On Dec 30, 2019
Na only posts wey make FP people de comment o. Dem go see am waka pass but if e reach FP, dem go drag space.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by AheadAhead123: 10:10am On Jan 01, 2020
Are there no Nigerians on Nairaland doing business in Ghana

@ngoven tell me what you want to ask here, I cant read your email.
Re: . by Nanatrendy(f): 1:45am On Jan 02, 2020
If you are planning to do retail business then it's best you stay in your country, foriegners are not allowed to do retail, if you can do wholesale then you are welcome. It's not wise to go invest in something that is illegal for a foreigner to do in another, anything can happen it's likely youay loose your investment in future. The living standard in ghana is highee than nigeria so obviously rent is expensive
Re: . by AheadAhead123: 2:16am On Jan 02, 2020
Nanatrendy:
If you are planning to do retail business then it's best you stay in your country, foriegners are not allowed to do retail, if you can do wholesale then you are welcome. It's not wise to go invest in something that is illegal for a foreigner to do in another, anything can happen it's likely youay loose your investment in future. The living standard in ghana is highee than nigeria so obviously rent is expensive

OK Nana. Thanks for your input. Spoken like a Ghanian. What wholesale businesses do you think is profitable and can the goods be sourced in Ghana or outside? Can you pls tell me the average shop rent?
Re: . by Nanatrendy(f): 11:50am On Jan 02, 2020
AheadAhead123:

OK Nana. Thanks for your input. Spoken like a Ghanian. What wholesale businesses do you think is profitable and can the goods be sourced in Ghana or outside? Can you pls tell me the average shop rent?
depends on the location of the shop, it's best you pay a visit to find out what can be profitable and what rent prices

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by AheadAhead123: 8:27pm On Jan 06, 2020
Nanatrendy:
depends on the location of the shop, it's best you pay a visit to find out what can be profitable and what rent prices

Ok Thanks.
Re: . by oghenakhua(m): 1:57pm On Jan 07, 2020
I will suggest you come to Ghana first, spend like 3 to 4 weeks and move around. I'm in Kumasi metropolis, lived 8 months in Accra. Accra is expensive, rent is triple compare to rent in Kumasi. Rents are usually paid upfront, I mean cumulatively...for instance I paid 70k in naira for 2 years, single room here in Kumasi. Others might ask for 3 years upfront.

In Accra rent is triple.

Business wise, there are Nigerians doing business most own thier shops.
You need to come and investigate.
I'm not into business, I a teacher here otherwise I could suggest more base on business

Of course there's stable electricity 24/7,so what ever business you plan to do will thrive.

Crime is low except when some crazy people misbehave, I don't associate with people that are loud,most Nigeria youths here are loud...I avoid them and I haven't had any issue with the Ghanians.

Be ready for discrimination sometime...the average ghanian see Nigerian as a fraudulent person or is into fraudulent activity. So choose friends well, I stay off most Nigerians who are not clear in their ways.

Overall, pay a visit first and see for yourself.

I've been here 2 years now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by spiralwedge(m): 4:57pm On Jan 07, 2020
Go on a vacation there first.
I did, I liked Cape Coast but I couldn't stand the heat both in Accra and CC.
Re: . by Triniti(m): 6:51pm On Jan 07, 2020
Ghana is very expensive...go there and test the water before making a decision. About businesses, recently, Ghanaian traders union has been messing around closing Nigerians shops after the government refused to implement the $1million investment plan for any foreigner that wants to do business in Ghana
Re: . by NoLotty7(m): 8:46pm On Jan 07, 2020
If l should advice you,l will say stay in Nigeria, apart U S of A,CANADA or EUROPEAN COUNTRIES please don't travel and base in an african countries like Ghana.WHY,so much hatred,discrimination,jealous e tc,naija de learn.l have been here for 3+ years,hmmm,check well.l was in Nigeria recently and saw how things were done currently,you can still make it in Lagos,soon l will return back to Nig because l have plan of migrate to Liberia,BUT de inside because of the hatred,no friend,always a suspect to neighbors because of your nationality,TUFIAKWA,who does in Nigeria all the time.l can go on and on.
Re: . by NoLotty7(m): 9:14pm On Jan 07, 2020
In add, be contented what you have,l realised this in November,2019.ln my quest of looking for more over the years l tend to lose the one l saved.So,look well before you leap,some nationality are nice from far but get closer to them,and l hope you have been reading about what was and still happening to Nigerians businessmen here,goodluck on your decision.
Re: . by murphy02(m): 10:35pm On Jan 14, 2020
AheadAhead123:

I considered Qatar/Dubai, Japan, Ivory Coast, Senegal, The Gambia, London etc but salaries in those countries for legit jobs for non-expat immigrant (like cleaning, security etc isnt good for a family man and some, like Japan needs one to go via study)., language barrier - which one can learn anyway.

My Questions are:

Not enough info here to really work on, I don't know your financial status, so it's difficult to state here categorically the best countries.

But I will advise you travel alone first to see things for yourself before putting your family through the stress.

Secondly please make you have a skill before leaving naija, it's very important, skills like phone repairs, barbing, aluminum, etc.

The cheapest I pad for hair cut while in cape Verde was 3 Euros.

Wish you the best bro

(1) (Reply)

HHHHH / STOP!!! Do Not Post Road Accident Topics Here! / Ever Been To Costa Rica?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.