Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport (79600 Views)

Qassem Suleimani: At Least 20 Killed In Blasts Near Grave Of IRGC Commander. / US Airstrike Kills ISIS-K Planner In Afghanistan / Rockets Fall Near US Embassy In Baghdad Injuring Five As World War 3 Fears Mount (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Trapping(m): 5:04am On Jan 03, 2020
US President Donald Trump has authorized a US military strike near Baghdad's airport which resulted in the death of Iran’s Quds Force commander Qasem Soleimani, the Pentagon confirmed in a statement on Thursday.
“At the direction of the President, the US military has taken decisive defensive action to protect US personnel abroad by killing Qasem Soleimani,” the Pentagon said in a statement.

“This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans. The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and interests wherever they are around the world.”

The Pentagon said that the assassination was a response to “attacks on coalition bases in Iraq,” accusing Soleimani of being the mastermind behind a recent spate of missile attacks on joint US and Iraqi military installations. In particular, the Pentagon blamed Soleimani for orchestrating the December 27 rocket strike at a US base in Kirkuk that killed one American contractor as well as “approving” the siege of the US embassy in Baghdad that almost ended up in the compound’s takeover by protesters furious over the US strikes that killed 25 members of Kataib Hezbollah, part of Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), over the weekend.
HomeWorld News

Pentagon says Trump ‘directed’ assassination of Iran’s Quds Force chief Soleimani to ‘deter future Iranian attacks’

Pentagon says Trump ‘directed’ assassination of Iran’s Quds Force chief Soleimani to ‘deter future Iranian attacks’

US President Donald Trump has authorized a US military strike near Baghdad's airport which resulted in the death of Iran’s Quds Force commander Qasem Soleimani, the Pentagon confirmed in a statement on Thursday.
“At the direction of the President, the US military has taken decisive defensive action to protect US personnel abroad by killing Qasem Soleimani,” the Pentagon said in a statement.

“This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans. The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and interests wherever they are around the world.”

The Pentagon said that the assassination was a response to “attacks on coalition bases in Iraq,” accusing Soleimani of being the mastermind behind a recent spate of missile attacks on joint US and Iraqi military installations. In particular, the Pentagon blamed Soleimani for orchestrating the December 27 rocket strike at a US base in Kirkuk that killed one American contractor as well as “approving” the siege of the US embassy in Baghdad that almost ended up in the compound’s takeover by protesters furious over the US strikes that killed 25 members of Kataib Hezbollah, part of Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), over the weekend.

ALSO ON RT.COM
Pompeo blames ‘terrorists & Iranian proxies’ for attack on US Embassy in Baghdad as Tehran rebuffs accusations
Washington has pinned the blame for the attacks on its embassy in Baghdad squarely on Tehran, with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accusing “terrorists” and “Iranian proxies” of instigating the unrest.

Tehran, meanwhile, has vehemently denied the accusations that it was somehow complicit in the storming of the US diplomatic quarters in the heavily-fortified Green Zone, taking aim at Washington’s “audacity” to blame it for the outrage sparked by American airstrikes.

The strikes, which the US military framed as a tit-for-tat response for the Kirkuk attack, drew ire not only from the Iran-backed Iraqi militias, but also from the authorities in Baghdad, which denounced the sorties as an "unacceptable vicious assault."

The protests saw scores of Iraqi Shia militia members swarming the area in front of the embassy, chanting “Death to America” and settling the entrance checkpoints on fire.

Earlier, the news of Soleimani’s demise was confirmed by the Iran Revolutionary Guards Corps. The influential commander was killed when Iraq's Popular Mobilisation Forces’ convoy traveling near the Baghdad airport was targeted in a US missile strike on Thursday.

At least seven people were killed in the raid, including the deputy chief of the Popular Mobilization Forces
https://www.newsweek.com/iraq-militia-official-killed-us-iran-tensions-1480181?amp=1

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Trapping(m): 5:07am On Jan 03, 2020
People things can get bad really quickly. I dont know how the Iranians are going to react over this news, but I pray Trump don't get to be dragged into war

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by jeffizy(m): 5:09am On Jan 03, 2020
The US keeps bringing ants infested firewood home.

Well, they have the capacity to override any repercussions.

170 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Olominira(m): 5:10am On Jan 03, 2020
More crises for Trump and an average American. This is unnecessary. Trump is committing a huge mistake by canceling the initial agreement reached with Iran.

Firstly, US can't even manage the ongoing crises she created in the past with Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, Libya and others. Who's advising Trump? Crises in Libya is still a crisis in some parts of Europe. Germany already has millions of refugees from Syria. These are countries of smaller populations yet you seriously want to destabilize another country of 70-80 million people all at once.

The entire America with Europe would have a serious impact if Iran is set into crises. In fact, the entire world feel this impact because by the time 40 percent of oil output is cut off due to total blockage of Strait of Hormuz. The global market would respond immediately. This is not a wise choice. Even in Nigeria, a litre of petrol may go as far as N500

304 Likes 43 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by uninspired07: 5:11am On Jan 03, 2020
Trapping:
cc Mynd44, Ishilove, lalasticlala This needs to be on FP.

People things can get bad really quickly. I dont know how the Iranians are going to react over this news, but I pray Trump don't get to be dragged into war

Any which way, Donald Trump will win both the war & elections in November. The alternative cannot even be contemplated. America must never fall into the hands of democrats ever again.

186 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by uninspired07: 5:12am On Jan 03, 2020
jeffizy:
The US keeps bringing ants infested firewood home.

Well, they have the capacity to override any repercussions.

?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by BrotherJesu(m): 5:15am On Jan 03, 2020
Lesson learnt; NEVER EVER TOUCH AN AMERICAN.

While back at home our Governmnt dont care who kills who;

....if the xenophobic attack in S.A was about Americans, i am sure that part of the world would have become history.

#NIGERiANLIVESMATTER

257 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by jeffizy(m): 5:16am On Jan 03, 2020
uninspired07:

?
The strikes, which the US military framed as a tit-for-tat response for the Kirkuk attack, drew ire not only from the Iran-backed Iraqi militias, but also from the authorities in Baghdad, which denounced the sorties as an "unacceptable vicious assault."

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by khiaa(f): 5:29am On Jan 03, 2020
BrotherJesu:
Lesson learnt; NEVER EVER TOUCH AN AMERICAN.

While back at home our Governmnt dont care who kills who;

....if the xenophobic attack in S.A was about Americans, i am sure that part of the world would have become history.

#NIGERiANLIVESMATTER

CORRECTION!

Never touch a white American, there's a difference.

319 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Trapping(m): 5:30am On Jan 03, 2020
uninspired07:

Any which way, Donald Trump will win both the war & elections in November. The alternative cannot even be contemplated. America must never fall into the hands of democrats ever again.

Thanks. You know exactly my worry. Tbh, if Iran decides to retaliate (which I guess they will) America will not find it easy.

I also pray that the democrats don't come close to power

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Trapping(m): 5:32am On Jan 03, 2020
Olominira:
More crises for Trump and an average American. This is unnecessary. Trump is committing a huge mistake by canceling the initial agreement reached with Iran.

Firstly, US can't even manage the ongoing crises she created in the past with Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, Libya and others. Who's advising Trump? Crises in Libya is still a crisis in some parts of Europe. Germany already has millions of refugees from Syria. These are countries of smaller populations yet you seriously want to destabilize another country of 70-80 million people all at once.

The entire America with Europe would have a serious impact if Iran is set into crises. In fact, the entire world feel this impact because by the time 40 percent of oil output is cut off due to total blockage of Strait of Hormuz. The global market would respond immediately. This is not a wise choice. Even in Nigeria, a litre of petrol may go as far as N500

I don't know why Trump decided to take this bait. But I hope this doesnt lead to serious things happening

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by daddytime(m): 5:39am On Jan 03, 2020
Hmmm

These usual war-mongering tactics. Their defense budget needs to be spent and ammo needs to be tested.

War is an annual budget for the US.

Iran will respond in kind, directly or by proxy.

The battleground remains Iraq and Syria plus Afghanistan.

If only our leaders can take advantage of the boom in oil price that would accompany this latest brouhaha, and allow her citizens to enjoy the benefits therefrom.

171 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Olominira(m): 5:40am On Jan 03, 2020
Trapping:

Thanks. You know exactly my worry. Tbh, if Iran decides to retaliate (which I guess they will) America will not find it easy.

I also pray that the democrats don't come close to power
War with Iran would have a global effect. This is coming at the time Russia, China and Iran plan to have a joint military drill. Did Trump actually think Iraq in Iran in 2020? War with Iran would likely be the last country US would ever invade in human history.

93 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Trapping(m): 5:57am On Jan 03, 2020
Olominira:

War with Iran would have a global effect. This is coming at the time Russia, China and Iran plan to have a joint military drill. Did Trump actually think Iraq in Iran in 2020? War with Iran would likely be the last country US would ever invade in human history.

But I'm somehow happy that US took this action. For months now iran has been running gaga and abusing US. the ball now is in their court to prove their military might.

163 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Olominira(m): 6:07am On Jan 03, 2020
Trapping:

But I'm somehow happy that US took this action. For months now iran has been running gaga and abusing US. the ball now is in their court to prove their military might.
It's Trump that caused that when he canceled the agreement. The worst part is that Trump did it unilaterally. The entire EU opposed it. An average Iranian would hate anything American today because at the moment, their currency is nothing due to several sanctions. Their entire economy is down. Trump even ordered UK to seize Iranian oil ship despite the fact that Iran is not part of EU, and wasn't heading to Europe. Trump needs to understand that we are all humans and his hatred towards anything non-white should be minimized.

132 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Nobody: 6:27am On Jan 03, 2020
Impeachment and election politics by Trump.

Usual republican tactics while approaching tricky presidential elections: Try to start a war and rally the country behind you. Before you know it election is won while lives of American soldiers are sacrificed on the altar of politics.

When he tore up the Iran nuclear deal,i told friends that he will start a war with Iran closer to the election .

145 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Trapping(m): 6:38am On Jan 03, 2020
I believe killing Soleimani is a bad decision

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Nobody: 6:58am On Jan 03, 2020
Trapping:

U are happy.? It’s like u are seeing this as a movie.......this might usher in bad consequences for the UNited states....if care is not taken it might mean a big war.....the EU won’t support the United state on this..... unless we wanna deceive ourselves..China, Japan, Germany and russia and not friends of the Americans deep down....they are just trying to co-exist for trade and to avoid war.....:but if war is inevitable, I foresee they will take sides with Iran.... and japan will gladly return the favor America dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki

112 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Fash20: 7:00am On Jan 03, 2020
Who remembers this.

Modified

This is the guy that was assassinated.

He posted this image on his instagram page in response to trumps sanction threat a year ago

18 Likes

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:05am On Jan 03, 2020
This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans. The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and interests wherever they are around the world.”
War is the last thing we want in the world right now.

The protests saw scores of Iraqi Shia militia members swarming the area in front of the embassy, chanting “Death to America” and settling the entrance checkpoints on fire.
International shiites!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Criticaltemp: 7:06am On Jan 03, 2020
War, please this should not lead to the use of nuclear bombs mbok.. But if them like make them kill dem selves finish.. Am not from either country.. So,

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by Roon9(m): 7:06am On Jan 03, 2020
Will this war ever end?

Call for our 250,000mAH lithium-ion solar powerbank that could power your TV, laptop, and up to 4 lighting points for up to 10 hours daily

4 Likes

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by zoedew: 7:06am On Jan 03, 2020
Big Brother Is Watching You.
Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by airminem(f): 7:07am On Jan 03, 2020
The US have recieve some boost by this betrayer of their actions in the east

Wow

Vengeance is an open sore. This is war.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by MrPresident1: 7:07am On Jan 03, 2020
President Trump, the chosen one, authorised the strike.

So therefore, the conclusion, is that, Iran will whine, and whine, and finally, do nothing.

If you watch the news and also read it very well, you will see that there is much emphasis on Trump directing, or ordering, or authorising the attack

It was Trump, not us o!

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by sotall(m): 7:08am On Jan 03, 2020
undecided

Conspiracy theories formulators food don done

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by ZombieTERROR: 7:08am On Jan 03, 2020
Trapping:
cc Mynd44, Ishilove, lalasticlala This needs to be on FP.

Iran will do nothing

They are not even the size of two US states

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by IpobAntidote: 7:08am On Jan 03, 2020
I trust Iran to get their revenge one way or the other. Trump will be crying when they take their revenge.

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by itsme01: 7:08am On Jan 03, 2020
cool

when US and christians kill Muslims its joy and celebration if muslim retaliates then its evil

Iran would blow up some US base thats for certain

50 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by PointZerom: 7:08am On Jan 03, 2020
Olominira:

Story for the gods.

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Qasem Suleimani Killed In US Airstrike Near Baghdad Airport by DIKEnaWAR: 7:08am On Jan 03, 2020
Will Iran give President Trump what he wants? I doubt.

Trump wants war with Iran. He knows a wartime President has a higher hopes of being reelected as fear and uncertainty bonds people with their responsive leaders. Just as George Bush jnr got reelected because of the 911 attack and consequent war and Obama was handed a reelection with his reaction to the hurricane that happened close to his reelection.

Iran is too much of a chicken hearted coward that thrive in noise making to enter into a war with America. The Ayatollah is a power drunk biish who loves to cling to power and knows a war ith America will threaten his position. Nothing will happen from this. Infact, Iran might secretly seek to pacify America cos Ayatollah is peeing in his pants by now.

PS: Why are some of you quoting and cussing me on this post out of sentiment? grin grin grin I understand you might be a Muslim and all, but the truth is nothing will happen. The only two people that will dream to retaliate America's attack today are China and Russia. Even at that it only exists in their mind.

Trump is a lose cannon and the whole world knows. Let Iran try nonsense and he will use them to win elections by pounding them to smithereens. Infact, strong voices in Iran are already calling on their govt to tow the path of peace.

66 Likes 8 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Kim Yo Jong Set To Become World’s First Female Dictator In Modern History (Pics) / Hurricane Irma Destroys Entire Barbuda, Caribbean Island (Photos) / Donald Trump Gives His Victory Speech, Congratulates Hillary Clinton (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.