Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,325 members, 7,829,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home (85780 Views)

Meet Adebola Rebecca, GIGL’s First Female Captain (photos) / Owerri Lawyer Wore Blue Suit To Court (Photos) / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Charles545: 5:57pm On Jan 04, 2020
It is a restaurant aunty... You deal with food services. You can't come and serve your customers with the dropping veil

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Ttipsy(f): 5:57pm On Jan 04, 2020
sammyj:
I don't know which is why I wouldn't comment on it
I don't think so....
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by midnighter(f): 5:58pm On Jan 04, 2020
cooltola:

Still they violated her rights. Her head was covered well so her hair will not enter with food preparation. I work in a restaurant before so I know I am writing about. The law is the law whether employer agrees or do not agree in which they must comply and obey. And she has the right in which she went about it, it is called freedom of speech. She should hire lawyers and sue the restaurant for violating her rights.

Hijab is not for preventing hair from entering food, is it? That is what hairnet or cap is for.

Her human rights are nowhere; if she has an issue with her uniform she should have arranged an appointment with her manager, discussed it and let them tell her what colour and material to wear. You dont just show up to work wearing what you feel like and expect the manager to take it lightly. Its an affront to his authority. Doesnt Islam tell you to submit to authority

Theres nothing like freedom of speech here; she should have followed workplace protocol for bringing up an issue with your immediate superior. Then if the manager begins to misbehave, she would have some e-mails or something to buttress her claims.

If you worked in a restaurant before you should know that That hijab is not suitable for food preparation. Its not supposed to be hanging down like that. It can get caught in the kitchen equipment and kill her, it can go inside hot oil. It can brush on dirt and enter people's food.

If you go to any respectable corporate food outlet, nobody is wearing anything as untidy as that.

Stop defending rubbish just because youre a Muslim; Qur'an didnt tell you to do that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by jamace(m): 5:59pm On Jan 04, 2020
Disobeying a company's rule on dress code because of religion is wrong.

The lady is wrong, not the company.

Religious fanaticism is anti-religion.

3 Likes

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Spicycat(f): 5:59pm On Jan 04, 2020
Marine54:
Her mate are moving forward, and she is moving backward by converted to islam! slam is means backwardness. Shame to her......

If only you are fortunate to know Islam.
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by spacechuks(m): 6:01pm On Jan 04, 2020
Mummymahdi:

She will be in US in that very firm and will cont. Wearing hijab. The firm has apologized and call her back. What will u do about that wailer
Muslim always being deviant, we have Christian's working in Saudi Arabia and they obey the laws of the land, for Godsake America is a Christian country and she should play their rules.it seems this Muslim religion has a way of changing their thinking faculty,every Muslim country is a terrorist country,the likes of Iran,Iraq,Saudi, northern Nigeria etc speaks volumes.when I develop my nuclear weapon,I would wipe out all the muslims in the world out of these planet so that christians and other religions would have rest of mind.

1 Like

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by quickly: 6:04pm On Jan 04, 2020
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by BigBankBlack(m): 6:04pm On Jan 04, 2020
Esseite:

You were employed as a none hijab wearing muslim, then out of the blues, you tell your colleagues 2months after you would start wearing hijab without checks if the outfit has reservations for hijab?...

That is a breach of employment contract.

You just said it all...she was employed as non hijab..its a fast food chain which obviously Won't like their attendants covered...she should tell us if it was agreed then by October that she'd later on have yk put on hijab and stop the cheap sympathy
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Stalwert: 6:09pm On Jan 04, 2020
Bookmarked
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by West2019(m): 6:10pm On Jan 04, 2020
when u come back to Nigeria ur eyes will clear
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by quickly: 6:12pm On Jan 04, 2020
Mummymahdi:

Ppl can be funny , and who told u the place belong to a xtian? Whites are not like u that one that's not a Muslim is a xtian NO. Securities, medical practitioners etc widely wear hijab all over USA. Read this story well u will see that the firm has already apologized to her on the ground of the Misbehavior of Its manager. Think

In Texas most of the white guys like whearing their cowboy hats. IF an employee continue to wear that and an employer says that violates work code policy.

You can be sacked for that easily.

OR foR no reason at all.

Employment is at will- meaning either you or the employer can terminate the relationship
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by brodalikeme(m): 6:15pm On Jan 04, 2020
livebyday:
Hmmmmm
No comment abi? It’s better before you talk and get attached
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Kennydoc(m): 6:16pm On Jan 04, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
AS USUAL, CHRISTIANS ARE JUBILATING BECAUSE IT'S ISLAM THAT IS BEING PULLED.
BUT IF YOU BAN A CHRISTIAN FROM PREACHING OR PRAYING PUBLICLY, OR YOU BAN CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS BOOKS OR ITEMS YOU'LL FIND THEM WAILING ABOUT THE ATTACK ON CHRIST AND HOW THE GATES OF HELL CANNOT PREVAIL, ALONG WITH OTHER NONSENSES THEY UTTER WHENEVER THEIR RELIGIOUS ACTIONS ARE QUESTIONED.

THE TRUTH IS, CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS.... YOU ARE ONE.

YOU ALL HAVE TO STOP FIGHTING EACH OTHER. YOU NEED TO EMBRACE EACH OTHER LIKE ONE LARGE CONGREGATION OF GULLIBLE DIRECTIONLESS HERD OF CATTLE THAT NEITHER KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING OR WHERE THEY'RE GOING. cheesy

How many churches are in Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan? Yet mosques are littered all over US, UK, Italy, France, Germany etc.

2 Likes

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by SctDonald(m): 6:18pm On Jan 04, 2020
Must you put it on...Religion, has dealt with humanity terribly...
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by CoolAmbience(m): 6:19pm On Jan 04, 2020
post=85486969:
When you are in Rome, do as the Romans do.

That is nonsense.

What you said doesn't apply to people's faith.

People must be allowed to express their religious liberty.

That's why I always come hard on people who say United States this, United States that....the country isn't what we think it is. There is a whole lot of intolerance and inhumanity going on there.

In Nigeria for instance, Christians, largely, do not go to work on Sundays but Muslims are required to work on Fridays yet no one sees any imbalance about that.

Were it the other way round, we for nor hear word.

That's the reason why, as a person, I try to play down religion as much as I can, while prioritizing humanity and the unseen creator in all my dealings.

1 Like

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Farki: 6:20pm On Jan 04, 2020
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Kennydoc(m): 6:22pm On Jan 04, 2020
madridsta007:

Aluta Continua sister.

Don’t worry, MURIC will threaten Trump for you.
The foolishness of young people with access to a social media App and an Internet-connected phone always amazes me. They just seem to loose their heads for the craving of "likes" and "retweets".

Do you realise that you are also black? You see all these racism stories in the US and you still think it’s OK to be foolish?

By the time you find it hard to get into employment in the US— asides being employed in a Mosque, maybe— you will understand that social media clout is actually a stupid thing to chase.

She is:
1. Black
2. African
3. Muslim
These 3 combinations put her in a position of discrimination (in the US) ordinarily, yet she doesn't realise it.

1 Like

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Jollof123: 6:31pm On Jan 04, 2020
Firebomber:

I'm so sure that the guy won't have a problem of removing the cross if you ask him to remove it unlike your Muslim sister up here. Lol.

And mind you no one sack your oversized sister they give her an option and she choose the one she want, so why are you making it as if she's the victim?

You see your life...critizing the stature of a fellow human being you can create.

If she is not the victim they won't apologise to her....it seems u only read the topic and not the entire text.

She only covers her head and that warrants sending her back home... So you know more than the company that apologize to her

Why will I tell him to remove the cross? He is free to practice is religion provided it's not harmful to me.
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
will they allow you wear head scarf or carry a bible in Saudi Arabia, Iran or Indonesia? You get luck say no be China you do this one .......you Muslims like performing certain act in another man's land but will never tolerate such in your country...

2 Likes

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by lacastre: 6:37pm On Jan 04, 2020
Muric should react asap
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:38pm On Jan 04, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:

Sadly home is hell for most of us that we'd rather lick our fingers after packing shiit in elderly homes of organized, functional countries than live lavish in Banana Island.
Bro u re very wrong here

Not everyone of us want to be slaves abroad because it's abroad

I REPEAT for the umpteenth time that I m doing very well in Nigeria and I do not intend to ever trade this country for anything or any reason

Not all of us want to leave this country, some of u need to understand this

1 Like

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:43pm On Jan 04, 2020
Charles545:
It is a restaurant aunty... You deal with food services. You can't come and serve your customers with the dropping veil
Bro, the problem isn't with the 'dropping' as u call it. The part of the veil that drops can very easily be hinge on the head.
The problem is the fact that most Christians hate to see Muslim women who wear the veil
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by AryEmber(f): 6:44pm On Jan 04, 2020
NOETHNICITY:
Bro u re very wrong here

Not everyone of us want to be slaves abroad because it's abroad

I REPEAT for the umpteenth time that I m doing very well in Nigeria and I do not intend to ever trade this country for anything or any reason

Not all of us want to leave this country, some of u need to understand this
Wa gbayi ojare
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Bahamas95(m): 6:44pm On Jan 04, 2020
Mummymahdi:

It won't stop her from being a Muslim but when she decide to wear it who are u to ask her to take it off.
She will take it off because am her boss, if she isn't ready to comply with the company's policy because of fvcking religion she should resign shikena!

To hell with religion

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Kokoebapluse(m): 6:45pm On Jan 04, 2020
midnighter:

Youre a very nonsensical creature, St. Paul was talking to the Corinthians and Corinthian culture which mandated covering the head for those women in particular to show their submission to their husbands and to God.

Corinth had a reputation for promoting a loose lifestyle and St Paul was telling the Christians there to keep a good image for themselves.

That teaching has nothing to do with hijab of today. You cant compare Greek people in their culture living thousands of years ago with what obtains for modesty in the 21st century.

Stop taking things out of context! It does not help you at all

I thought you Christian always claim that Bible was inspired by God why can't you accept and adopt what make women of Corinthians better?

I can see clearly Christian are just full of confusion people you see it in your Bible and you are here condemn people who follow that way,

Come are you normal?
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Kokoebapluse(m): 6:47pm On Jan 04, 2020
Firebomber:

Is it her company?

You will know that the owner of the company is a evil man, I ask you what wrong in the way the girl chose to cover herself?
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Kokoebapluse(m): 6:49pm On Jan 04, 2020
Firebomber:

Hopeless troll.

So out of my points naa only body you see?

If I don't see body nah spirit you want me to see?

What happened to your brain? Am not sure if you gbadun
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Farki: 6:54pm On Jan 04, 2020
BuhariAdvocate:
Ipob propaganda. Just to paint yoruba bad.

What concerns this and ipob? undecided
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by mmadu5(m): 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2020
this woman is stupid and dont deserve to live and work in the US i know people who would do anything to be in her position she even have the nerves to come on twitter to post it . very stupid nigerian woman . Bleep islam
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by lagdmark(m): 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2020
SctDonald:
Must you put it on...Religion, has dealt with humanity terribly...
Be specific, Christian religion shaped our modern civilization, set standards for education, values, norms social services and democracy. I wonder what benefits have the world derived from other beliefs since the history of modern civilization.
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Ubdavis(m): 6:56pm On Jan 04, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
AS USUAL, CHRISTIANS ARE JUBILATING BECAUSE IT'S ISLAM THAT IS BEING PULLED.
BUT IF YOU BAN A CHRISTIAN FROM PREACHING OR PRAYING PUBLICLY, OR YOU BAN CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS BOOKS OR ITEMS YOU'LL FIND THEM WAILING ABOUT THE ATTACK ON CHRIST AND HOW THE GATES OF HELL CANNOT PREVAIL, ALONG WITH OTHER NONSENSES THEY UTTER WHENEVER THEIR RELIGIOUS ACTIONS ARE QUESTIONED.

THE TRUTH IS, CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS.... YOU ARE ONE.

YOU ALL HAVE TO STOP FIGHTING EACH OTHER. YOU NEED TO EMBRACE EACH OTHER LIKE ONE LARGE CONGREGATION OF GULLIBLE DIRECTIONLESS HERD OF CATTLE THAT NEITHER KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING OR WHERE THEY'RE GOING. cheesy

ur illustration does not fit the theme! we have decorum... im not a christian incase u dont knw
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by aduku1(m): 6:57pm On Jan 04, 2020
otipoju:
If they have a dress code / uniform, she just might not be able to wear it. She can wear whatever she wants at home.

But if they do not have uniforms and everybody dresses as they please, she might have a valid case for discrimination

I once worked for a firm that had a business casual dress code and did not allow jeans nor T Shirts even though the main company we were working for had a very lax dress code. Their own staff could were slippers and leggings on the same premises.

To prove discrimination, she has to be prove that all the others are allowed to dress as they choose while she is not.

Sir you are wrong,
This is a clear case of indirect discrimination which means that a neutral criteria or requirement or grounds of discrimination is introduced putting persons of a racial or ethnic origin at a particular disadvantage compared with other persons.

The neutral criteria in the sense is the requirement of wearing the company cloth which is not a ground of discrimination but the fact that it will put persons of racial or ethnic origin e.t.x at a particular disadvantage compared with other person, in this case persons of the Muslim region will be disadvantaged.

Thus making it a form of discrimination, the company can only exonerate themselves from this if the neutral requirement (that is the compulsory adherence to the company dress code) is objectively justified.

Objectively justified means that if the requirement in place is necessary to do the job that is without the requirement the job cannot be properly done. And we can clearly see in this case that the wearing of hijab will not stop her from doing the job successfully as such the company argument cannot hold water and will be held for indirect discrimination.

Although the case might be different if the job was a modeling job and she insist that she will have to wear the hijab even on walk way parade were u might be need to showcase some part of your body, this may affect the performance of what the company intend to showcase and in this case the argument of the company might be objectively justified and as such discrimination will not be said to have occurred.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) / See Someone's Salary In Kogi State - Photos / Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.