Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties (33922 Views)

“I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up / Harry And Meghan Angry As Their Kids, Archie And Lillibet Won't Get HRH Titles / Harry And Meghan Will No Longer Use Official Titles - Buckingham Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by midnighter(f): 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2020
LordAdam16:

I'm not sure what you mean by that sentence in bold.

Harry was raised a royal to further the interests of the same institution that had offered him innumerable privileges. If he chose to start a family with a woman who doesn't buy into that generational way of life. That's solely his business. The British crown will remain long after Meghan and Harry are gone.

If you observe the press coverage concerning their relationship, you will understand what that sentence means.

I'm not referring to their flouting rules or royal protocol. I'm talking about the bullying and haranguing nature of particular elements who want him to remain "fun, silly, happy-go-lucky prince Harry" for the rest of his life, following his elder brother and sister-in-law everywhere like a dog without having a life or mind of his own.

If youve been paying attention to prince Harry in particular before now you will know that that dude has been chafing under the royal stuff for a long time.

Maybe Meghan helped him realise it, but he already had doubts about staying in it for the rest of his life.

Their actual behaviour as regards the throne and British crown wasn't what I was talking about. I am a huge adherent to the belief that you should be realistic about the kind of family you are marrying into so I don't necessarily agree with whatever she/they may have done that irritated the establishment but what I know is that the way that she/they have been treated has been unfair.

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Legendguru: 3:03pm On Jan 09, 2020
Oh
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Americanboy35: 3:05pm On Jan 09, 2020
henryobinna:

I wonder why you folks like to force your opinion and choice on people. If William wants he would have done same.

Must everyone be a rebel?

This Harry guy is just being controlled by his divorcee wife. I hope she doesn't divorce him the moment he wants to take control of his life.
You are right

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by LordAdam16: 3:28pm On Jan 09, 2020
midnighter:

If you observe the press coverage concerning their relationship, you will understand what that sentence means.

I'm not referring to their flouting rules or royal protocol. I'm talking about the bullying and haranguing nature of particular elements who want him to remain "fun, silly, happy-go-lucky prince Harry" for the rest of his life, following his elder brother and sister-in-law everywhere like a dog without having a life or mind of his own.

If youve been paying attention to prince Harry in particular before now you will know that that dude has been chafing under the royal stuff for a long time.

Maybe Meghan helped him realise it, but he already had doubts about staying in it for the rest of his life.

Their actual behaviour as regards the throne and British crown wasn't what I was talking about.

Well, it just so happened that when he decided to "have a life or mind of his own," he chose to have it with a woman who also had no problem flouting rules or royal protocol. That sounds like double jeopardy.

The life of royals is one fraught with lots of competing interests, expectations, and opinions. He should be no stranger to this.

His great-grand uncle, Edward VIII, lasted less than a year on the throne. He abdicated the throne to marry a two-time American divorcee and lived in exile in France until his death.

Similar account occurred with Princess Margaret, his grand aunt; sister of Queen Elizabeth.

So if that's the line he wants to tow, he certainly isn't the first. I would think that as a Windsor and knowing just how volatile the British monarchy has been historically, he'd make better choices; but he seems to have inherited the worst genes of the family (and Diana).

As a royal or scion of a leading House, happiness is secondary to duty. Everyone sees the glamour and privilege, few understand the responsibility, lack of choices, and how suffocating it can be.

I wish he and Megan the best.

Heaven knows it doesn't get easier here on out. The Windsors are ruthless even to fellow family members.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by midnighter(f): 3:47pm On Jan 09, 2020
LordAdam16:

Well, it just so happened that when he decided to "have a life or mind of his own," he chose to have it with a woman who also had no problem flouting rules or royal protocol. That sounds like double jeopardy.

This discussion is about to come full circle; If you read my original comment I only pointed out that it's likely that other royals would also like to throw in the towel. You've already chosen to frame my original comment from a place of bias, which you then sized upon to segue into what is actually biting you, which is the behaviour of that "strident woman".

Comparisons with Mrs Simpson have already been made but I am ambivalent because Simpson was white. And princess Margaret was deliberately controversial, as in she totally lost it.

Anyway you have a point in pointing out his duty. I'm a traditionalist to some extent but my own Issue was just the way they had been treated. He is no longer anywhere near inheriting the throne so it seemed pointless to keep collecting insults over nothing.

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Ashley86400: 3:58pm On Jan 09, 2020
GraGra247:

Oh! you admitted she was even once divorced. Now is that not bad enough? Does that not prove my point. Is that the kind of person fit for a prince that has the whole world of the best of the best of single successful women that aren't manipulative at his beck and call.
So? Because he's a Prince we should not hear word. Do you know his history? He's done more bleeped up things than her- dressed as a nazi, danced naked ,he's kissed a man before ,in front of camera.
No one is perfect. Get a life.

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Kayyy: 4:00pm On Jan 09, 2020
Harry and Meghan are not particularly blameless is all this, like said above she knew what she was marrying into, the people also have right to be aggrieved, tax payers money is used to fund the royal family, these are part of people's hard earned money, infact for many years now the people have not been particularly happy with this, from fashion, to special occasions, to security assigned to royal family members, to their estates, so when you say you are stepping down from public functions as duke and duchess which means you are a face of the public , you want to brake the protocol of hundreds of years by taking jobs, making income on duties that royal families are barred from, but at the same time trademarking the duke and duchess tittle you have , you just had a £2.4m renovation done for your residence which you also want to keep from tax payers money, you want to eat your cake and have it .

when you break away from all public duties, you should also break from all the privileges attached to it , the privilges are what makes you a royalty, and a public figure and also makes you run so much charities. Already there is a public outcry from politicians, and members of public to strip the them of their tittles, their residence, their security attachments funded by london MET, and even asking their trademark to be blocked. people should not use the different labels we have now a days (feminism, awoke etc ) to just break long lasting traditions and values just because they deserve to do whatever they want to be happy, full commercialization of the royal family will trigger mass reactions amongst the british people and could be the end of the royal dynasty faster than we can imagine. The people will not allow them get away with funding them while they also take on international roles, jobs and contracts and be raking in hundreds of millions, they are public figures, ooni of ife will not leave ife and move back to lagos and be running his real estate, properties and other business while getting royalty monthly from the osun state governments and other benefits accrued to him. he knows he signed up for a tradition that is over centuries .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Kayyy: 4:11pm On Jan 09, 2020
Copied from a quote on daily mail by Dr Danger Mousette

'The reason people are so angry is that taxpayers got fleeced to pay for a wedding (20 M), Frogmore renovations (3 M), a baby shower (350 K) and a six week holiday (god knows how much). Then as soon as they've swiped the cash, H&M announce that they don't want to do the hard work royal bit but instead keep the titles and associated benefits. All without having the decency to inform the Queen. That's why people are angry.'

3 Likes

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by LordAdam16: 4:22pm On Jan 09, 2020
midnighter:

This discussion is about to come full circle; If you read my original comment I only pointed out that it's likely that other royals would also like to throw in the towel. You've already chosen to frame my original comment from a place of bias, which you then sized upon to segue into what is actually biting you, which is the behaviour of that "strident woman".

Comparisons with Mrs Simpson have already been made but I am ambivalent because Simpson was white. And princess Margaret was deliberately controversial, as in she totally lost it.

Anyway you have a point in pointing out his duty. I'm a traditionalist to some extent but my own Issue was just the way they had been treated. He is no longer anywhere near inheriting the throne so it seemed pointless to keep collecting insults over nothing.

Margaret was not deliberately controversial.

We are who we are. Edward's father predicted Edward wouldn't last 12 months on the throne.

Every family has its black sheep. It's amplified amongst upper class families where members have more agency.

If you as a Prince, who's the grandson of one of the longest reigning monarchs, the son of a Lady who figuratively gave the Queen and Crown Prince the middle finger, somehow decided to marry a divorced person of color who curiously decided to take in Diana's footstep; how can you possibly feign surprise when the British media and courtesans come for your head?

Justified or not, if he didn't see the heat coming from a mile off, then his naivety is one for the history books.

This is one of the biggest gripe of monarchy as a political system. You simply don't know what you're getting. One day it might be Cyrus, the next it might be a reincarnate of Caligula.

Prince Andrew is no where near inheriting the throne. Yet, his association with Jeffrey Epstein cost him his elevated royal standing. Royalty isn't just about who wears the crown. The supporting cast--other family members and relatives--are just as if not more important. It's why the European ruling families until the late last century married each other.

Now Harry and Meghan want to step away from the roles and responsibilities of being "senior royals", but want to keep the titles and privileges. Even the financial independence they are gunning for will be turbocharged by Harry's royal inheritance.

-Lord
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by kayusely70(m): 4:25pm On Jan 09, 2020
henryobinna:
if you must inherit the throne you must abide by the rules set for the throne. The throne of every Kingdom is not a place every Tom, dick and harry(unintentional) can just walk into because he thinks deserves it. If the throne demands a pure breed then so be it. For the sake of love, emotion and other personal things you can marry whoever you want but you can't just get into any office that you want.

Good luck with their lives but I hope she doesn't divorce him once again as she did previously.
I bet she can't wait to go back to her life that's why he's doing all her biddings
I agree with your submission. I read it sometime somewhere that a sitting english king on the throne (cant remember the name) was forced to abdicate for marrying outside their circle.
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 09, 2020
midnighter:

Exactly so why is their decision paining you?

Everybody can see that Harry craved adventure but was lacking in direction which is why he kept misbehaving. You just cant stand to see a lady who can give him those things.

Her divorced status has nothing to do with the matter at hand but you keep bringing it up because you are sentimental.

You want him to be trapped in that dilapidated palace, chewing nonsense salad and squirming in wooden chairs for the rest of his life, but he wont! Sorry sweetheart kiss
Nigerian mentality!!
Dilapidated buildingshocked

If he is the next to the throne, would you still reason like this?? undecided
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by tundess: 4:34pm On Jan 09, 2020
Just to clarify re Edward VIII and Mrs. Simpson; The abdication was not triggered because the King wanted to marry a divorcee. After all, Henry VIII, er, divorced and remarried. 6 times to be precise.

The abdication was necessary because the King was very sympathetic with Nazi views and Britain was about to enter into a war with Germany. The british royal family are from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, paternally. ie German in origin.

The vile gutter press has had it in for Meghan from day....2 ?

Trending hashtags from "moonbump" (ie questioning whether she had used a surrogate to give birth), to "Meg-Gain" to "Megxit," to "duchess of woke", have sought to discredit her family, her colour, even her professional success (she was friendly with Harvey Weinstein don't you know). Sickening stuff.

Harry has seen this coming and has had enough. I don't blame him. He's an admirable young man; He has served his country in uniform and has been fundamental in starting out the Warrior Games in which disabled former armed forces members from coalition countries engaged in the War on Terror compete in a kind of Olympic games. He is very committed to the charities in Southern Africa his mother started.

All this outrage against their retreat from Royal duties is entirely manufactured by the right wing press. So the Nazi-dressing, fun-loving prince is now dour because he is married and wants to insulate his young family from the vitriol and scrutiny of the tabloids ? The same tabloids that hounded his mum to death?

As to public funds, he is supported by his father's business ventures from the Duchy of Cornwall. His public expenses are mainly from his security detail, as a result of him having served in Afghanistan.

I wish them success. For nothing, it will expose the little Englander mentality that has saturated Britain, post Brexit. And yes, a big part of this mentality is racist in nature.

2 Likes

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by midnighter(f): 4:42pm On Jan 09, 2020
LordAdam16:

Margaret was not deliberately controversial.

If you don't call hard partying with rock stars being deliberately controversial then I don't know how to answer you.

I didn't say that he was or wasn't naive or that he was blameless, I said that the ire being directed their way is not (totally) warranted. I think I said this already.

That's exactly one of the reasons why they have almost no political power anymore; because it's not given on merit. I'm not really a royalist either but I recognise their cultural importance.

The prince Andrew stuff is a false equivalence because Ive already clarified that I wasn't advocating for them to misbehave. You are battling a strawman.

I want to see what privileges they want and what work they still plan to do before I pass any judgement on it. It may work, it may not but the point is that the people who caused the problem are the ones still complaining.
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Barzinime(m): 4:58pm On Jan 09, 2020
Then Prince Harry is a beta male right? cos he choose to marry the person he felt most comfortable with?
He got balls for going against the royals, not some of you that will bring a girl home and say my folks dont like her and be disturbing us here.
The girl of your wildest dreams can only dream about dating Harry and in all your infinite wisdom, how many big girls have you dated?
Alpha my ass.
Wont even reply your kindagain. Clown(Pennywise).
GraGra247:

Dear penniful man that has it all yet foolish enough to join penniless people on nairaland.

Did the royal family marry for prince Harry. Was it not clear that many among the royals were not comfortable with his choice but had no say in his decision.

Penniless thinking from you there.

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 09, 2020
pocohantas:
Bad news for Alpha Males.

I hope omo.koginimi won't overdose on red pills out of anger grin

I actually do respect their decision. People think it is easy living your life according to some laid down rules, it is not. Harry should be about the 6th in line, which will probably not get to him till death- except every other person before him decides to do what he just did.

So, why should he live in bondage till DEATH?

They should go hustle, make a name for themselves and enjoy life without unnecessary Royal rules and regulations.
grin grin
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by GraGra247(m): 5:56pm On Jan 09, 2020
Barzinime:
Then Prince Harry is a beta male right? cos he choose to marry the person he felt most comfortable with?
He got balls for going against the royals, not some of you that will bring a girl home and say my folks dont like her and be disturbing us here.
The girl of your wildest dreams can only dream about dating Harry and in all your infinite wisdom, how many big girls have you dated?
Alpha my ass.
Wont even reply your kindagain. Clown(Pennywise).

Just look at the senseless empty kind of thing you spewed in stark ignorance.

You come across to me as a female hiding under a male moniker. Do I not know you?

You're nothing but an dumb thinking feminist.

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by GraGra247(m): 5:59pm On Jan 09, 2020
Ashley86400:

So? Because he's a Prince we should not hear word. Do you know his history? He's done more bleeped up things than her- dressed as a nazi, danced naked ,he's kissed a man before ,in front of camera.
No one is perfect. Get a life.

You need to get a life if you think being imperfect is an excuse to do things wrong the more.
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Ashley86400: 7:40pm On Jan 09, 2020
GraGra247:

You need to get a life if you think being imperfect is an excuse to do things wrong the more.

Is the prince complaining?
Why are you getting headache for someone else's problem?
Bitterment.
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Horus(m): 7:51pm On Jan 09, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPQ7Ca3DYM

Meghan & Harry "QUIT" The Royal Family After "Racist attacks"
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by GraGra247(m): 7:52pm On Jan 09, 2020
Ashley86400:

Is the prince complaining?
Why are you getting headache for someone else's problem?
Bitterment.

Mumu, are you the prince. When you quoted me, was I complaining to you?
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Ashley86400: 9:17pm On Jan 09, 2020
GraGra247:

Mumu, are you the prince. When you quoted me, was I complaining to you?

You're an idiot.
Stupid moralistic bastard that doesn't even follow the rules of morality.
Continue howling at the moon.
Bitter Bastard
Quote me again and silence will greet you at your utmost stupidity.

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by bluefilm: 9:34pm On Jan 09, 2020
This woman don finally succeed in turning this mumu prince into her floor mat.

I pity the poor idiot.

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by LordAdam16: 10:15pm On Jan 09, 2020
midnighter:

If you don't call hard partying with rock stars being deliberately controversial then I don't know how to answer you.

I didn't say that he was or wasn't naive or that he was blameless, I said that the ire being directed their way is not (totally) warranted. I think I said this already.

That's exactly one of the reasons why they have almost no political power anymore; because it's not given on merit. I'm not really a royalist either but I recognise their cultural importance.

The prince Andrew stuff is a false equivalence because Ive already clarified that I wasn't advocating for them to misbehave. You are battling a strawman.

I want to see what privileges they want and what work they still plan to do before I pass any judgement on it. It may work, it may not but the point is that the people who caused the problem are the ones still complaining.

It's enough to describe her behavior as controversial. Deliberately controversial implies she did it for a reason other than that being her nature.

Margaret was the Paris Hilton of the royal family. Elizabeth is the good daughter. Margaret wasn't. It's that simple.

Same way Williams is the good son who is committed to the institution (or in your opinion 'parents and siblings') while Harry isn't.

The whole "it's unfair" shtick is lazy. He knows what he could have done if he didn't want certain blasting. Marry a royal or a noble woman. Stay traditional. But if he insists he has the right to marry whoever he wants and also wants to be too progressive for his own good, then he can't f*cking complain.

Don't walk around fire if you can't deal with the heat.

You're calling Andrew a straw-man, but they both didn't meet the expectations traditionally asked of Royals, and have both been browbeaten. Harry is the one making it seem like he's being singled out.

To whom much is given; much is expected.

Now this would be a dark cloud hanging over his marriage. Cos whatever happens in it will be used as a cautionary tale.

-Lord

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by ucham: 10:34pm On Jan 09, 2020
The bastard great Britain who put Nigeria in this mess is here telling us about their evil royal family.
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Brush1: 11:45pm On Jan 09, 2020
GraGra247:
Prince Harry allowed a small girl to hijack his brain.

A two time divorcee for that matter.

What a disappointment. He should join her as junior actor in the Suits series since he's a sissy.

Small girl? She's older to prince Harry.

1 Like

Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by GraGra247(m): 3:39am On Jan 10, 2020
Ashley86400:

You're an idiot.
Stupid moralistic bastard that doesn't even follow the rules of morality.
Continue howling at the moon.
Bitter Bastard
Quote me again and silence will greet you at your utmost stupidity.

I easily spotted another nairaland brain dead lunatic from the onset.

When was your last mental health check up.

My offense was to air my personal opinion directed at prince Harry and I never quoted you.

Bastard return to you and your foolery through all generations. Senseless imbeciIe!!
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by carnal: 7:19am On Jan 10, 2020
Not an easy decision, wish them the very best
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by midnighter(f): 8:11am On Jan 10, 2020
LordAdam16:
It's enough to describe her behavior as controversial. Deliberately controversial implies she did it for a reason other than that being her nature.

No problem, I think Ive already clarified my original position anyway
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by chukwugoziegi: 9:22am On Jan 10, 2020
Kayyy:
Copied from a quote on daily mail by Dr Danger Mousette

'The reason people are so angry is that taxpayers got fleeced to pay for a wedding (20 M), Frogmore renovations (3 M), a baby shower (350 K) and a six week holiday (god knows how much). Then as soon as they've swiped the cash, H&M announce that they don't want to do the hard work royal bit but instead keep the titles and associated benefits. All without having the decency to inform the Queen. That's why people are angry.'

"Spoilt Brats" according to Piers Morgan
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by tck2000(m): 9:21am On Jan 13, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Who cares
Re: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2020
Thatssobeyonce:
Yay my seventh FTC on NL
I dedicate it to that first guy that followed me gomojam
Thanks Sweety. But why ain't u replying my mail? At least give me a reason.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Donald Trump's Supporters Pray & Speak In Tongues At Clark County / LMAO See The Honourable Minister For Water And Irrigation In South Sudan (photos / Iran’s Commander Mohammad Reza Zahedi Killed In Israeli Airstrike in Syria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.