Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why (72035 Views)

The 7 Courses To Replace Mass Communication Degree In Nigeria / Mass Communication Degree To Be Phased Out As Professors Submit New Curricula / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by wowo2: 8:44am On Jan 09, 2020
They need more....just turn every area of specialization into a dept.
..like this list from an Arabian uni

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Nasir123(m): 8:52am On Jan 09, 2020
destinyy23:
Lol. Just need something doing temporarily before other plans are perfected. Thanks though.

Lol!
Thank you.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by MISTAICEY02288(m): 8:53am On Jan 09, 2020
Nice one.. Meanwhile grin

1 Like

Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by RapistOnBail: 8:58am On Jan 09, 2020
Thryphosa:

Going back may not be easy as you think.
Yea that may be true.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by sosospence(m): 8:59am On Jan 09, 2020
9jayes:
All those who have graduated from the said course their certificate is now null and void
No
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Awoo88: 9:00am On Jan 09, 2020
Olalabs:

Abi ooo! I don't see the essence of that course.
Jack of all trade master of non
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 09, 2020
With which money we go find lecturers heh. We no fit pay the current ones we dey split course, tor add nuclear physics too na.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Nobody: 9:22am On Jan 09, 2020
destinyy23:

BSc. Microbiology
MSc. Environmental Microbiology/ biotechnology. MSc still in view though, result not out yet.
waste of beautiful years. You could have studied a better course. Getting a job is pain. Later nah lecturer you go be
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by lexxyrule(m): 9:23am On Jan 09, 2020
RapistOnBail:
This is how my next life will be.

Go to primary school And then Secondary School. After which I hustle and gain grounds/Make sources of income. Even though it takes me 20 years to gain grounds.

Finally, I go to the University.

Focus on this life first, fvckn rapist... Lol
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Gokoyer0(m): 9:42am On Jan 09, 2020
This remind me of a close pal that needs help regarding redeployment. Can you help someone that had already been posted to North and started teaching in the secondary school he is posted to?
MrSix:
Ok

Should you need redeployment, I can help with that.
100% guarantee.

Anyway, need a US used laptop?
Check my signature and chat me up if you're in Lagos or Abuja.
Note: it's pay on delivery.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Gokoyer0(m): 9:45am On Jan 09, 2020
Nice courses, but have you thought about going abroad? It's tougher in this country with graduates of those background o.

Modified: just read your other post where you mentioned you have 1.1. just wanna give you some hints. You should be able to get funded position abroad.
destinyy23:

BSc. Microbiology
MSc. Environmental Microbiology/ biotechnology. MSc still in view though, result not out yet.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by GeneralPula: 9:49am On Jan 09, 2020
destinyy23:

BSc. Microbiology

I just called my Dad who happens to have some sort of connection! He said he’s got no slot available, tho I told him I don’t know you at all!

I grad with 2.1 and 2 lecturing slots came in but wasn’t interested!

It’s been years and that’s why I called him first before asking you further questions!

Wish I could help tho!

Goodluck ah wish you!
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by wiseone28: 9:55am On Jan 09, 2020
RapistOnBail:
This is how my next life will be.

Go to primary school And then Secondary School. After which I hustle and gain grounds/Make sources of income. Even though it takes me 20 years to gain grounds.

Finally, I go to the University.
I can't agree less you're right
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by madgoat(m): 9:57am On Jan 09, 2020
Rubbish... How can one have a degree in ADVERTISING. Nonsense
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by JABAIDO(m): 10:03am On Jan 09, 2020
Awoo88:

Jack of all trade master of non
Morning sir. Could you please expatiate more on this?
Agricultural engineering was a course I opted for in 2017 but was not admitted.
I'll be through with my NCE program this year and I'm thinking of giving it a try again till I saw your comments.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by MrSix: 10:04am On Jan 09, 2020
Gokoyer0:
This remind me of a close pal that needs help regarding redeployment. Can you help someone that had already been posted to North and started teaching in the secondary school he is posted to?
Yes of course.
It's all about the money. If he pays, then it'd be done ASAP.

1 Like

Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by BluntBoy(m): 10:09am On Jan 09, 2020
babtoundey:

I wanted to ask the same question.

But, Theatre Arts an extension of or alternative to Mass communication? No. It can and will never be. Theatre Arts is a world on its own. As listed above (with reference to Masscomm), Theatre Arts has very numerous arms and each arm is elaborate and interesting. That's why Theatre is always called a synthesis/complexus of many Arts.

It's only in Theatre Arts you will be doing history, classics, Masscom, Linguistics, English related course. Of you can't endure, theatre isn't for you

Theatre Art is not a world on its own. It is a branch of performing arts. If you read further, you would understand why they take up courses such as classics, mass communication, linguistics.

Every department does a variety of courses outside their major discipline. There is nothing special about that. It is just how education should be. There is hardly a department where you won't do history, statistics, English and some English-related courses, even if they are all combined into a GES course.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by BluntBoy(m): 10:22am On Jan 09, 2020
destinyy23:
Our universities should focus more on STEM courses. We need research to grow... these art courses will do us no good. Why should one be studying broadcasting and advertising in the university? Waste of resources.

I agree that we need to focus more on STEM courses than we presently are.

But, don't look down on the importance of other courses. Every course has its place in society. Mass media will always be a part of society, and an important agent of socialization.

And broadcasting can provide research grounds for graduates of STEM courses.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by babtoundey(m): 10:39am On Jan 09, 2020
BluntBoy:

Theatre Art is not a world on its own. It is a branch of performing arts. If you read further, you would understand why they take up courses such as classics, mass communication, linguistics.

Every department does a variety of courses outside their major discipline. There is nothing special about that. It is just how education should be. There is hardly a department where you won't do history, statistics, English and some English-related courses, even if they are all combined into a GES course.

Theatre Arts is a branch of performing Arts?? What is performing Arts What's Theatre Arts? Please, tell me, I need to learn.

And I'm not talking about the courses borrowed outside the department, that's normal and should be expected. I'm talking of courses within the department that have little or no difference from the courses from those related departments.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by durubennie(m): 10:47am On Jan 09, 2020
Harbioye:
Same should be done to Computer Science department abeg
Why do you say so bro?
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Gokoyer0(m): 10:50am On Jan 09, 2020
Can I send him your WhatsApp number to contact you?
MrSix:

Yes of course.
It's all about the money. If he pays, then it'd be done ASAP.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by MrJaay(m): 10:50am On Jan 09, 2020
BluntBoy:

Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Mummymahdi(f): 10:52am On Jan 09, 2020
9jayes:
All those who have graduated from the said course their certificate is now null and void

Nop . only with effect from 2025 Sir
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by kinzation(m): 10:53am On Jan 09, 2020
IntellectOzone:
Kukuma add Blogging as a course too

Over 3k+ students graduate from department of Mass Communication in The Polytechnic, Ibadan every year without boasting of 10% of 100% making out with there course of study

Nigeria can't cater for splitting of courses at all
ise loogun ise

Polytechnic Ibadan, my Alma mata

repping insurance

the school Don finish
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Awoo88: 11:04am On Jan 09, 2020
JABAIDO:

Morning sir. Could you please expatiate more on this?
Agricultural engineering was a course I opted for in 2017 but was not admitted.
I'll be through with my NCE program this year and I'm thinking of giving it a try again till I saw your comments.
Some old school lectures have refused to allowed for progress. Agricultural engineering is a broad course. Some schools now go by the agricultural and environmental engineering which is more appropriate. The course is a good program on it own. But the way it being handled in some schools, you will end up learning everything and learning nothing. If you can get a school that will allows you specialize after two year, the better.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by BluntBoy(m): 11:16am On Jan 09, 2020
babtoundey:

Theatre Arts is a branch of performing Arts?? What is performing Arts What's Theatre Arts? Please, tell me, I need to learn.

And I'm not talking about the courses borrowed outside the department, that's normal and should be expected. I'm talking of courses within the department that have little or no difference from the courses from those related departments.

Performing arts include dance, theatre, music, circus art, comedy, and even magic.

Theatre is just a branch of performing arts. It is not the only performing art that we have.

As for borrowed courses, those courses are related to theatre in one way or the other. You will have to do courses such as histories related to theatre or performing arts generally, as well as English-related courses.

For instance, in Psychology, there are departmental core courses that are Social Works courses as well as Statistics, Biology, and even Law. In short, psychology students do courses in nearly, if not, in all departments. Because psychology is relevant in all spheres of life. So, in psychology, you will do varieties of courses (not borrowed) in the arts, the social sciences and the sciences. Do you know there is even an engineering psychology?
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Cousin9999: 11:21am On Jan 09, 2020
I understand why they feel the need to do this and I think it's great that they want to push hard towards a certain future. However, they need to stop and consider a few things.

If someone starts a business, if an engineer develops great technology, if we need the support of the public in a key effort, or anything similar -- someone needs to effectively communicate that value and engage people.

There are literally tons of engineers who are ignored despite having amazing ideas and developing awesome technology. They're great at development, but not at getting people to appreciate what they've done. There are great business people, scientists, doctors, and politicians who struggle with the same thing. There are people with backwards or weak ideas, but great marketing and understanding of this.

I don't think it's wise to dismiss the value of communications.

Why don't these schools change the programs to align with STEM, business, politics, and etc? Train them not just to be great communicators, but to have a rich understanding of how to make the biggest impact with that training.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by eitsei(m): 11:33am On Jan 09, 2020
destinyy23:
Not that easy for those without connections. I've been searching and no good news yet even with my 1.1
the old ones with outdated notes and research with no breakthrough are not ready to leave, instead they are taking more roles in other universities mostly private, that's why majority of young people can't get lecturing job except with connections
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 09, 2020
CHESTER48:
waste of beautiful years. You could have studied a better course. Getting a job is pain. Later nah lecturer you go be
Yea, I love research and I want lecturing. If you know the kinda advanced research being conducted in this field, you'd agree it's no waste. You can check the username "wip7" and see the type of research/publications he has.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 09, 2020
GeneralPula:

I just called my Dad who happens to have some sort of connection! He said he’s got no slot available, tho I told him I don’t know you at all!

I grad with 2.1 and 2 lecturing slots came in but wasn’t interested!

It’s been years and that’s why I called him first before asking you further questions!

Wish I could help tho!

Goodluck ah wish you!
Wow! 2 slots? I envy you..kai. Thanks for your willingness to help. Permit me to send a pm.
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by babtoundey(m): 12:01pm On Jan 09, 2020
BluntBoy:

Performing arts include dance, theatre, music, circus art, comedy, and even magic.

Theatre is just a branch of performing arts. It is not the only performing art that we have.

As for borrowed courses, those courses are related to theatre in one way or the other. You will have to do courses such as histories related to theatre or performing arts generally, as well as English-related courses.

For instance, in Psychology, there are departmental core courses that are Social Works courses as well as Statistics, Biology, and even Law. In short, psychology students do courses in nearly, if not, in all departments. Because psychology is relevant in all spheres of life. So, in psychology, you will do varieties of courses (not borrowed) in the arts, the social sciences and the sciences. Do you know there is even an engineering psychology?

You made me.laugh, sir. Theatre Arts isn't a branch of performing arts. Infact, Theatre Arts is more encompassing. Simply put, Theatre is a synthesis of many Arts (be it performing or not). Theatre Arts 8s not limited to performance. You may study Theatre and have no need to appear before the audience while your arts speaks directly to the audience.

By your ruling, Play writing, media, children theatre, management, stage management and lots more are outside the scope of Theatre Arts.

I understand your point as regards courses borrowed outside the department. My reference is not to that. I was talking of the internal courses taken within the department that have affirms the similarity and closeness of the course with other courses
Re: No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why by GeneralPula: 12:11pm On Jan 09, 2020
destinyy23:
Wow! 2 slots? I envy you..kai. Thanks for your willingness to help. Permit me to send a pm.

Yo...You can

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Isn't This Too Much For A Nursery 1 Pupil?(picture Attached) / Drone Shot Of Adeleke University At Night And In The Day Time (photos) / Lasu 2012/2013 Academic Section. Lets Meet Here Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.