Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

"I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" (1029 Views)

I'm Afraid I Will Die And Find Out Christians Or Jews Were Right And Not Muslims / I'm Afraid That This Might Come To Reality. / I'm Afraid Of Being Born Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by Joagbaje(m): 6:57am On Dec 05, 2010
We contantly hear  words such as "I'm afraid our time is up" or " I'm afraid [/b]that's all we can take today"
  Does it sound familiar to you? We are surrounded with such statement from time to time. Broadcasters use it , some preachers use it. We feel it sounds polite . But it's a wrong use of tongue. There are several things the enemy has programmed in our daily life. He operates by fear and tries to saturate our lives with it. Fear is of the devil . Your life goes in the direction of your speakings. Words are spirits and not mere sounds.

[b]Ephesians 4:29

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 

So why is the talk of fear a corrupt communication? Because fear is not of God.

2 Timothy 1:7
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

The tongue naturally may go negative , especially if you grow up in an atmosphere where such wrong language is a norm.  It may be a little challenging to tame the tongue at first.

James 3:8
8 But the tongue can no man tame;[ it is] an unruly evil, full of deadly poison

But that doesn't mean it's not possible to tame the tongue. The more you fellowship with the Word of God on daily basis , the more your tongue and language is transformed . 

James 3:2
2 We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. 

One sure way to know you're growing as a Christian is  to WATCH YOUR TONGUE!

Instead of using the devils language "I'm afraid it's time to close" why not simply say "it's time to close" or  If you want to add some courtesy or politeness. Just say I'm sorry, its time to close." I think it's time to close" " sorry, I got to go"  

Colossians 4:6
6 Let your speech[ be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Re: "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by Image123(m): 11:24am On Dec 05, 2010
Paul said 'i'm afraid of you',or is it for you. Jesus said to 'Fear Him who is able'. In the end, it boils down to context and understanding/Revelation, not just reciting some set of well phrased words.
Re: "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by e36991: 11:30am On Dec 05, 2010
Joagbaje:

We contantly hear  words such as "I'm afraid our time is up" or " I'm afraid [/b]that's all we can take today"

Does it sound familiar to you? We are surrounded with such statement from time to time. Broadcasters use it , some preachers use it.

We feel it sounds polite . But it's a wrong use of tongue. There are several things the enemy has programmed in our daily life.

He operates by fear and tries to saturate our lives with it. Fear is of the devil .

Your life goes in the direction of your speakings. Words are spirits and not mere sounds.

[b]Ephesians 4:29

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 

So why is the talk of fear a corrupt communication? Because fear is not of God.

2 Timothy 1:7
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

The tongue naturally may go negative , especially if you grow up in an atmosphere where such wrong language is a norm.  It may be a little challenging to tame the tongue at first.

James 3:8
8 But the tongue can no man tame;[ it is] an unruly evil, full of deadly poison

But that doesn't mean it's not possible to tame the tongue. The more you fellowship with the Word of God on daily basis , the more your tongue and language is transformed 

James 3:2
2 We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. 

One sure way to know you're growing as a Christian is  to WATCH YOUR TONGUE!

Instead of using the devils language "I'm afraid it's time to close" why not simply say "it's time to close" or  If you want to add some courtesy or politeness. Just say I'm sorry, its time to close." I think it's time to close" " sorry, I got to go"  

Colossians 4:6
6 Let your speech[ be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

@Joagbaje

Good call in highlighting the danger of not using fear the right way, the right time and still be on God's right side whilst using it

On the contrary afraid is not the devil's language but a word the devil exploits with delight to the hilt

Afraid is a state; a condition; anxiety; a feeling, a distressing emotion etc

brought about by a real or imagined threat, impending danger, evil, pain, inferior complex, low self-esteem, lack etc

It is a situation that the devil will exploit to an advantage. Part of one of the strategies the devil uses to reinforce a grip on a hold.

As a matter of fact God would rather we confess a destination and not confess a disadvantaged situation

Remember Elisha and the Shunammite woman (i.e. 2 Kings 4:17-20; 24-26 KJV)

The Shunammite woman's son died but when asked what was wrong she confessed her destination (i.e. where she wants or needs to be)

She confessed her destiny. “Everything is all right,” she said

“Everything is all right,” was truly alright because at the end Elisha prayed to the Lord and handed the boy alive back to the Shunammite woman.

The devil basks in fear but God rather basks in faith

2 Kings 4:17-20; 24-26 KJV:

17But the woman became pregnant, and the next year about that same time she gave birth to a son, just as Elisha had told her.

18The child grew, and one day he went out to his father, who was with the reapers.

19“My head! My head!” he said to his father.

His father told a servant, “Carry him to his mother.”

20After the servant had lifted him up and carried him to his mother, the boy sat on her lap until noon, and then he died.

24She saddled the donkey and said to her servant, “Lead on; don’t slow down for me unless I tell you.”

25So she set out and came to the man of God at Mount Carmel.

When he saw her in the distance, the man of God said to his servant Gehazi, “Look! There’s the Shunammite!

26Run to meet her and ask her, ‘Are you all right? Is your husband all right? Is your child all right?’”

“Everything is all right,” she said

Undoubtedly we have a time and place to fear . . .

Deuteronomy 10:12 KJV:

And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God,
to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

Proverbs 1:7 KJV:

The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge . . .

Re: "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by tpia1: 11:56am On Dec 05, 2010
ps 56:3

When I'm afraid, I will trust in you

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2056:%203&version=NIRV
Re: "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by e36991: 12:11pm On Dec 05, 2010
tpia1:

ps 56:3

When I'm afraid, I will trust in you

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2056:%203&version=NIRV

@^^^

Trust. Exactly what the Shunammite woman did (i.e. 2 Kings 4:17-20; 24-26 KJV)

Trust and faith . . .
Re: "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by Joagbaje(m): 1:13pm On Dec 05, 2010
Luke 12:32
32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Re: "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by Joagbaje(m): 1:39pm On Dec 05, 2010
We should understand the perspective of my exhortation. There is difference between the fear for God. It is a fear of reverence and not a negative fear of torment . A man may feel fear negatively, that's why God always say " fear not"
Re: "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by e36991: 2:01pm On Dec 05, 2010
Joagbaje:

We should understand the perspective of my exhortation.

There is difference between the fear for God.

It is a fear of reverence and not a negative fear of torment. A man may feel fear negatively, that's why God always say " fear not"

e36991:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-562516.0.html#msg7274845

@Joagbaje

Good call in highlighting the danger of not using fear the right way, the right time and still be on God's right side whilst using it

On the contrary afraid is not the devil's language but a word the devil exploits with delight to the hilt

Afraid is a state; a condition; anxiety; a feeling, a distressing emotion etc

brought about by a real or imagined threat, impending danger, evil, pain, inferior complex, low self-esteem, lack etc

It is a situation that the devil will exploit to an advantage. Part of one of the strategies the devil uses to reinforce a grip on a hold . . .

As a matter of fact God would rather we confess a destination and not confess a disadvantaged situation . . .

The devil basks in fear but God rather basks in faith . . .

Undoubtedly we have a time and place to fear . . .

@Joagbaje

. . . you have been credited for the encouragement

The distinctions were noted too

Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us

so no room for fear (i.e. the negative fear) - a defeatist's vocabulary
Re: "I'm Afraid My Time Is Up" by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:32pm On Dec 05, 2010
@36991 it is good of you putting things in the proper context :-) forgive my rather scant post. I am doing this from a mobile phone. I meant your follow-up after joagbaje's post.

(1) (Reply)

Why Enigma Callls Atheists And Others Mumus / Iraq:Muslim Mob Shouting "Allahu Akbar" Attacks, Ransacks, Burns Christian Shops / Are Nigerian Christians Intimidated By Muslim "hijab"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.