Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,516 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage (4004 Views)

Lagos Plans Expansions Of Ikeja-alausa Road To Tackle Gridlock / Obasanjo's Letter Is An Attempt To Instigate A Coup - Afenifere / Lagos Plans Hi-Tech Traffic Management System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Kobojunkie: 10:18am On Dec 06, 2010
Pharoh:

^^

It doesn't matter if it was processed by state government or FRSC, the point is what ever is valid in state A is also valid in state B. It is like saying having a degree in accounting say Nigeria cannot be used to obtain an accounting job in Ghana. Lagos state is part of the federal republic and this is highly illegal.

You are right on the part in bold, however, this development does not seem to state that will no longer be the case. From the @Poster's own post, it seems the demand wil be for drivers to carry an additional document issued by Lagos state (this is in addition to valid documents from other states where that applies), not instead.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Akainzo(m): 10:24am On Dec 06, 2010
johndoe200:

Look , the traffic regulations guiding vehicle documents are not issued at state level, they federal wide regulations. In this country there are those regulations that are within the ambit of the states to make or amend. This is a FEDERAL issue. Is this clear enough. No state government can decide that they are going to change these without the consent of the body / bodies that regulate these issues.

This is a relatively simple issue, they could have simply tried to amend these regulations the legal way, but I suspect that they are aware of the reaction they will receive from the other states who have equal say on this.

No state has jurisdiction over what constitutes a valid vehicle document in the Federal Republic of Nigeria. This is a SOLE function of the Federal Government.

Is there anything else you don't understand?

I think you missed the main point of that regulation. Yes, the Driver's license, vehicle Particulars and Insurance documents are valid across the federation, however, the law allows any state to demand or prescribe any other requirements for road usage within its territory. Therefore what Lagos State is proposing is not illegal but within their rights.

Remember the case of the mobile communications masts, Lagos State does not have a right to grant mobile license but has the authority to regulate thongs within its territory. If Lagos State feels that for safety reasons, all tanker drivers operating within Lagos State needs to have some form of safety clearance, then they can enforce such. All that means is this, for a while there might be fuel scarcity, but once other marketers realize how much business is in Lagos, they would comply and Lagos roads and inhabitants would be safer for it.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by pheesayor(m): 10:52am On Dec 06, 2010
Akainzo:

I think you missed the main point of that regulation. Yes, the Driver's license, vehicle Particulars and Insurance documents are valid across the federation, however, the law allows any state to demand or prescribe any other requirements for road usage within its territory. Therefore what Lagos State is proposing is not illegal but within their rights.

Remember the case of the mobile communications masts, Lagos State does not have a right to grant mobile license but has the authority to regulate thongs within its territory. If Lagos State feels that for safety reasons, all tanker drivers operating within Lagos State needs to have some form of safety clearance, then they can enforce such. All that means is this, for a while there might be fuel scarcity, but once other marketers realize how much business is in Lagos, they would comply and Lagos roads and inhabitants would be safer for it.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Pharoh: 11:02am On Dec 06, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You are right on the part in bold, however, this development does not seem to state that is no longer the case. From the @Poster's own post, it seems what is being demanded is that the drivers have extra document to show, along with the valid documents they already have.

I get your point but this is where the problem lies now, we are trying to establish a precedence that will be replicated in other states.

What is so special about lagos roads that tank drivers need extra license to ply in the state and not in other state?

Did those truck just appeared at the border of lagos or don't you think those trucks traveled through other states as well and they will also impose the same license scheme if lagos goes ahead with it.

If it is free no problem but if they start collecting money i am sure every state will implement such schemes as well provided the truck passes through their state.

To me it just seems like someone traveling from nigeria to ghana and the border control in togo says that they need toll fee to maintain their border post and don't you think other countries like ghana and benin will do same thing?

Some things should be left at the national level else driving round the 36 state of the federation will require you to have road safety license for each state and if it is not free then 36 different license fees.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Pharoh: 11:06am On Dec 06, 2010
If Lagos State feels that for safety reasons, all tanker drivers operating within Lagos State needs to have some form of safety clearance, then they can enforce such. All that means is this, for a while there might be fuel scarcity, but once other marketers realize how much business is in Lagos, they would comply and Lagos roads and inhabitants would be safer for it.

No problem every state of the federation will impose safety clearance on tank drivers operating within their state since you do not realize that some of these same tankers travel out of lagos to other parts of the country.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Kobojunkie: 11:07am On Dec 06, 2010
Pharoh:

I get your point but this is where the problem lies now, we are trying to establish a precedence that will be replicated in other states.

What is so special about lagos roads that tank drivers need extra license to ply in the state and not in other state?

Did those truck just appeared at the border of lagos or don't you think those trucks  traveled through other states as well and they will also impose the same license scheme if lagos goes ahead with it.

If it is free no problem but if they start collecting money i am sure every state will implement such schemes as well provided the truck passes through their state.

To me it just seems like someone traveling from nigeria to ghana and the border control in togo says that they need toll fee to maintain their border post and don't you think other countries like ghana and benin will do same thing?

Some things should be left at the national level else driving round the 36 state of the federation will require you to have road safety license for each state and if it is not free then 36 different license fees.

This is reason why I suspect some of you do not understand the real reason for this move. I believe @oyb addressed this in his post earlier on. It is not about Lagos roads but about the road worthiness of most of these contraption and the high number of accidents recorded, especially on Lagos roads as a result. I am certain you must have heard of the many tanker explosions and the huge loss of life and property that has followed most everyone of those explosions. Well the State feels that many of the contraptions shouldn't have been allowed to plow the roads, let alone haul the sort of goods and weight they do.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Pharoh: 11:16am On Dec 06, 2010
Kobojunkie:

This is reason why I suspect some of you do not understand the real reason for this move. I believe @oyb addressed this in his post earlier on. It is not about Lagos roads but about the road worthiness of most of these contraption and the high number of accidents recorded, especially on Lagos roads as a result. I am certain you must have heard of the many tanker explosions and the huge loss of life and property that has followed most everyone of those explosions. Well the State feels that many of the contraptions shouldn't have been allowed to plow the roads, let alone haul the sort of goods and weight they do.

The MOT test already covers that i guess? undecided
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by netotse(m): 11:29am On Dec 06, 2010
Pharoh:

The MOT test already covers that i guess? undecided
even here in abuja, cars dont have to appear at the offices to receive roadworthiness cetificates, not to talk of lagos that is a jungle. . .like someone said implementation is key. . .

but i wan see the official wey dem born wey go tell me say my papers and drivers licence is fake just cos i didn't get them in lagos, na then im go know sey na for lagos i grow up. . .loooonnnngggggg hiss

@kobo
why you want give the poor guy heartburn now? you for just descend to im level small make im happy now. . .lol

p.s.
i once said i was going to give you some specifications, just got them, would it be ok if i uploaded them on this thread for you?
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Akainzo(m): 11:34am On Dec 06, 2010
Pharoh:

Did those truck just appeared at the border of lagos or don't you think those trucks traveled through other states as well and they will also impose the same license scheme if lagos goes ahead with it.

My guy, what is special is that a government in Lagos State has seen a need to protect its people from the effect on non-compliant or hazardous tankers being on its roads. If all other states start to copy this and effectively put in place M.O.T centers of quality and using the same Lagos standards then our roads would be safer and Nigerians would be better for it.

BTW, since fake goods don't also just appear in chemists or pharmaceutical shops across Nigeria, we can as well scrap NAFDAC since they would have been checked at the border grin
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Akainzo(m): 11:38am On Dec 06, 2010
Pharoh:

The law actually requires that if you are going to be resident in that state for longer than 90 days, you are required to obtain new documents from that states motor licensing authority. That is what the Nigerian Motorway & Highways code says. The only difference is we've all been flouting this law and it now seems to be the norm. The truth, the law recognizes that you need new papers once you settle in another state!
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by johndoe200: 11:52am On Dec 06, 2010
While all you are looking at the proposed illegal actions of the state, the real issue is when the tanker drivers go on strike with the backing of the owners, how long do you think the people will care about all these "good intentions" of the state?

When the pain and economic loss from such a strike reaches the appropriate level, the Federal Government will impose it's authority and everything will go back to the way it was.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Akainzo(m): 11:56am On Dec 06, 2010
johndoe200:

While all you are looking at the proposed illegal actions of the state, the real issue is when the tanker drivers go on strike with the backing of the owners, how long do you think the people will care about all these "good intentions" of the state?

When the pain and economic loss from such a strike reaches the appropriate level, the Federal Government will impose it's authority and everything will go back to the way it was.

And how do you know there is no back-up plans by the Lagos State government? Or are there no tanker operators from Lagos State? Note that NUPENG is a union and the beginning of a break-up might be when you take actions that a section wants to break out of. All Lagos has to do is to start the campaign early and get some registered. If NNPC can have tankers, Lagos can surreptitiously back some people to own tankers.
Everyone prepares for a war it wants to fight.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by johndoe200: 11:59am On Dec 06, 2010
Akainzo:

And how do you know there is no back-up plans by the Lagos State government? Or are there no tanker operators from Lagos State? Note that NUPENG is a union and the beginning of a break-up might be when you take actions that a section wants to break out of. All Lagos has to do is to start the campaign early and get some registered. If NNPC can have tankers, Lagos can surreptitiously back some people to own tankers.
Everyone prepares for a war it wants to fight.

Do you live on the moon?
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Kobojunkie: 12:06pm On Dec 06, 2010
johndoe200:

ROFLMAO!!! Now I can't help but laugh at how you continue to go on and on about how all hell will break loose because of a measure to help protect lives, especially after yet another disaster just last week.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 06, 2010
Misleading topic
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2010
johndoe200:

the moment LASG sues a tanker driver employer/owner  for loss of life, reckless endangerment and engages in a media campaign cataloguing gross irreponsibility etal, the owners will get into line.

you seem to be unaware of the pain and economic loss caused everyday by the death traps plowing our roads

90% of lagos go slows are caused by broken down trailers. be on a slope with a traailer, and you will see the driver's boy with the 'shock' to prevent the trailer from rolling back ward or forward. be in a go slow in front of, beside or behind a trailer, and keep hoping for no sudden movement, and the ensuing avalanche of a beg sir, please sir,
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 06, 2010
Misleading title
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by axeman85(m): 12:52pm On Dec 06, 2010
As a matter of FACT what lagos is intending to do is unconsitutional in all cases. First of all the state government has no right to be turning back trucks or instructing driving licences not issued in lagos to be seized. THIS IS THE JOB OF THE FRSC they should be in charge of the transport divison in relation to law enforcement and the state government thru their MOT stations have the right to make sure MOT is genuine and cars are road worthy BUT we all know how its been done. even in developed countries its the DVLA that issues driving licence and also partner with accredited garages to provide MOT Cert for vehicles. and not the council( state) a drivers licence or mot issued on a vehicle can be sued in any town city in the united kingdom and u can even use it in france.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by hardbody: 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2010
Guys, do not lose sleep over this. We will file and obtain restraining Orders from the Courts to ensure that this does not happen. It is still speculative; as soon as there is substance to this, we will make sure we get an order stopping them from doing or continuing to perpetrate any such illegality. the alternative to this will be anarchy on the roads as all the other states will then exercise a similar right on illegality by insisting that vehicles entering their sovereign domains should not only carry their state recognized MOT but perhaps licence numbers of those states.

It is a crazy idea and will die a natural death. I do not believe we are a community of madmen, No.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by johndoe200: 3:22pm On Dec 06, 2010
Who changed the title of this thread? This is not the tittle I gave the thread. This has nothing to do with the issue I have tried to bring out.

[size=16pt]This thread is about the STRIKE that is likely to ensue.[/size]
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by johndoe200: 3:27pm On Dec 06, 2010
aisha2:

Misleading title

I have to agree with you, someone changed the tittle (a moderator), why I don't know. Maybe because kobojunket thinks it should be something like that. angry
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by bababuff(m): 4:03pm On Dec 06, 2010
The moderators have NO right to change titles of any thread.  angry  angry

What kind of absolute power is that?
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by netotse(m): 4:36pm On Dec 06, 2010
bababuff:

The moderators have NO right to change titles of any thread.  angry  angry

What kind of absolute power is that?
if e dey pain you reach this one, sey you no go free NL go start your own forum?
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by ikeyman00(m): 9:42pm On Dec 06, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@

rubbish thread

i think the state should revamp lagos road then we can talk

the same own liecence that was given to me in less than 5,000 in lagos on dec 2008 abi

human beings in animals form!!
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by DisGuy: 10:22pm On Dec 06, 2010
^^ actually this sums its up, under this very serious state government one can procure a drivers' license by just paying the fees and snapping a pic voila!

The state government can address this issue first then make it mandatory that all drivers' actually go for a course
too many suicidal drivers in lagos
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by ikeyman00(m): 12:22am On Dec 07, 2010
^^^^^haaaaaaaaaaa tell them hahha

eko eyaohh
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by johndoe200: 2:20am On Dec 07, 2010
Dis Guy:

^^ actually this sums its up, under this very serious state government one can procure a drivers' license by just paying the fees and snapping a pic voila!

The state government can address this issue first then make it mandatory that all drivers' actually go for a course
too many suicidal drivers in lagos

There is no political capital to be made from that.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by Kobojunkie: 6:41am On Dec 07, 2010
It is very immature of you to think that because I do not see this through the paranoid lense you choose to, means I am your enemy. I have simply made sure to ask you, over and over, to produce factual information on the particular laws that are being broken in this case. More than 10 posts later, none still.

Nigerians are used to fuel shortage -- it occurs most every month and so I don't see why that should be used as excuse not to get some progress now.

Yes, the government is yet to perfect it's system but we should not discount a good move that could potential save 1000's of lives from  time of implementation. I know I am tired of reading stories of people roasting alive in one tanker fire or another. If making sure only roadworthy vehicles are allowed to transport the fuel will aid in reducing the problem, I am good. If you do not like that, that is fine by me but whining because I hold a different opinion only shows you the slowpoke here.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by nipoga(m): 6:49am On Dec 07, 2010
Am a very passionate, loving, caring, admirable young man who has a zeal for meeting new people everyday without hurting any of them.
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by stranger: 6:52am On Dec 07, 2010
nipoga:

Am a very passionate, loving, caring, admirable young man who has a zeal for meeting new people everyday without hurting any of them.

Welcome to NL

See the poster above you?

Say hi to her. You guys are fit for each other
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by wazobiang: 9:09am On Dec 07, 2010
hornets nest!
Re: Lagos Plans To Instigate Nationwide Petrol Shortage by netotse(m): 9:28am On Dec 07, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It is very immature of you to think that because I do not see this through the paranoid lense you choose to, means I am your enemy. I have simply made sure to ask you, over and over, to produce factual information on the particular laws that are being broken in this case. More than 10 posts later, none still.

[b]Nigerians are used to fuel shortage -- it occurs most every month [/b]and so I don't see why that should be used as excuse not to get some progress now.

Yes, the government is yet to perfect it's system but we should not discount a good move that could potential save 1000's of lives from  time of implementation. I know I am tired of reading stories of people roasting alive in one tanker fire or another. If making sure only roadworthy vehicles are allowed to transport the fuel will aid in reducing the problem, I am good. If you do not like that, that is fine by me but whining because I hold a different opinion only shows you the slowpoke here.
much the same way you accuse people of not being able to substantiate their claims, you seem to have a thing for making questionable statements, fuel shortage occurs every month ke?. . .i reject it IJN.

i take it you dont want the panel specifications anymore?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akpabio Donates N50m To Xmas Day Bombing Victims / The Best State Governor Nigeria Ever Had-the man Suswam / Presidential Media Team Releases Official Photos Of Jonathan's Visit To OAU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.