Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,450 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Sanity Is Deception - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sanity Is Deception (1036 Views)

Sanity Is When You Are In Love With Yourself,... / Why You Should Stop Paying Attention To Bad News For Your Sanity / Deception - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanity Is Deception by gracile(f): 11:16pm On Jan 14, 2020
I met Eric a few weeks ago probably a month or thereabout. He was a jolly good fellow. He always beamed, and his eyes always lit up when he saw me. I remember the first time we met. I went to get a recharge card from a kiosk just outside my office. I loaded it on my phone immediately and stalled with the phone against my ears because I was trying to make the call before going back to the office. There was this guy talking to the recharge card seller that smiled when I greeted them at first. The contact I was dialing was not answering. So, while I stalled, I listened in on their conversation.

They were talking horoscopes; a topic I love. I couldn’t resist the urge to join them, so I did. He was saying something about cancer, so I chipped in one or two random stuff I could remember. And that set the ball rolling as we went further to talk about our own signs and made good jokes about them. We got along well and by this time I had successfully displaced the recharge card seller who wasn’t even as enthusiastic about the topic as I was, and this seemed to please my new friend.

I had to rush back to the office, so my new friend asked to have my contact, but I turned him down and told him I’ll see him again. I did see him again and a couple more times. He was always at this recharge card sellers shop and that happened to be my way home when I close from work. My new friend would always beam at me and try to be chatty, but I was always in a hurry.

So last week, I went to get peanut cookies this time with another friend of mine from the office, when we were about leaving, the recharge card seller told me ‘’Eric says I should greet you’’.

And I was like “Who’s Eric?”

“You don’t know Eric?” he asked. “That your friend now”.

‘’Oh, that’s his name?’’

‘’Yes, but you know he’s not okay ba?’’

‘’How’’ I asked

‘’He’s not too okay, his head is not correct o’’ he said making gestures using his hands towards his head.

‘’Wow!’’ I exclaimed. ‘’Are you serious? I didn’t know now”.

Then he went on to say, “And he was never in the army don’t mind him that’s just what he tells people’’.

“No wonder he’s always on khaki, but how did I miss it?” I thought.

As if reading my thoughts.. “Sorry” the recharge card guy said, “I thought you knew o”

‘’I didn’t know”. I replied, thanked him and left.

As I walked back to the office, I continued to ponder on the news I had just heard.

Eric seemed intelligent, his smile was genuine (okay maybe he smiles a little too much) and he made an excellent conversationalist.

“So what” I thought to myself;

What if he is not insane like they claim? How could they be so sure? What if he’s just on another level of intelligence? Like above the normal. And since most people don’t relate, they termed him ‘insane. What if it’s we who are insane?

Sanity is deception, a monumental façade requisite for anyone that begs to be consequential in this age. So much so that, the moment you let out a teeny-weeny bit of insanity or quirkiness, the average man sees you as ‘unconventional’, ‘uncivilized’ or insane.

Now the insane in this context is not the medically ill type, it’s the outrageous and spontaneous state the mind yearns for occasionally, that let’s one do shocking or uncommon behaviors, like belching before on your crushes face. While this is natural, society defines them as disapproving. Permit me to confess this; most times I assume that some of the prophets spoken of in the bible were perceived to be mad men in their time. Prophets like Ezekiel, Isaiah etc. Before you look at me that way, imagine someone not having their bath for days, sleeping on only one side of their body for 390 days and baking cake with cows dung! You’d think they were insane right? But, they weren’t. They acted like one because they were driven by something higher than them. What if my friend Eric acts insane not because he’s mentally ill but probably because he is driven by something higher than him.

Let’s face it, we are all insane (in varying degrees though). And it’s about time we embraced it.

It’s 2020 friends, don’t be afraid to be insane. So, go on, laugh out loud, fart out loud, slap your boss (you know I don’t mean this right), empty your account and go for that dream vacation; death is boring enough, do something crazy! (Just try not to kill yourself). Insane can be cool too you know, like my friend Eric.

What do you think about mad people? Do you find them scary, sick, pathetic, endearing?

2 Likes

Re: Sanity Is Deception by gracile(f): 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2020
Agapecharis, oluwabuqqyolo, tiffanyj, sammyhoe, royver, larrysun, divepen, repogirl, misspicey, elantraceey, twaci, cutehector4u (not sure about this moniker) will modify whenever I remember more

Yeah modified; the persons moniker I was trying to remember is sammyhoe and his legendary EBIAG story. That story captured my heart that year mehn

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanity Is Deception by gracile(f): 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2020
��
Y’all still on this space at all??
I’ve missed you guys tho

I have no friends left in here cry
Re: Sanity Is Deception by Deluxewize(m): 10:39pm On Jan 17, 2020
Aren't we all insane?

2 Likes

Re: Sanity Is Deception by gracile(f): 6:57am On Jan 18, 2020
Deluxewize:
Aren't we all insane?

I think we are grin

1 Like

Re: Sanity Is Deception by Deluxewize(m): 11:14pm On Jan 18, 2020
You just have to be "sane" in spots that better your life.

2 Likes

Re: Sanity Is Deception by gracile(f): 6:03am On Mar 15, 2020
Deluxewize:
You just have to be "sane" in spots that better your life.

Well said smiley
Re: Sanity Is Deception by misscherrysmith(f): 12:41am On Apr 12, 2020
gracile:
Agapecharis, oluwabuqqyolo, tiffanyj, sammyhoe, royver, larrysun, divepen, repogirl, misspicey, elantraceey, twaci, cutehector4u (not sure about this moniker) will modify whenever I remember more

Legends of Literature section ��

1 Like

Re: Sanity Is Deception by TiffanyJ(f): 10:39am On Apr 12, 2020
Gracie, I don pitch my tent here. I've not visited the literature section in a while, though.

1 Like

Re: Sanity Is Deception by misscherrysmith(f): 2:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
TiffanyJ:
Gracie, I don pitch my tent here. I've not visited the literature section in a while, though.
TiffanyJ! You're still here?

Was a follower back in the days!
Hope you're good ma'am

2 Likes

Re: Sanity Is Deception by gracile(f): 9:22am On Apr 15, 2020
TiffanyJ:

It misses you ma’am and so do I but we all know the queen has to run her kingdom else we might starve. Brings me to ask, are you or will you work on a new story for us soon? wink
Re: Sanity Is Deception by gracile(f): 9:23am On Apr 15, 2020
misscherrysmith:

Legends of Literature section ��

You know this dear
Re: Sanity Is Deception by TiffanyJ(f): 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2020
misscherrysmith:

TiffanyJ! You're still here?

Was a follower back in the days!
Hope you're good ma'am
I'm still here, my dear. I'm good. How have you been?

1 Like

Re: Sanity Is Deception by TiffanyJ(f): 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2020
gracile:

It misses you ma’am and so do I but we all know the queen has to run her kingdom else we might starve. Brings me to ask, are you or will you work on a new story for us soon? wink
Lol.
I am working on a new story.

1 Like

Re: Sanity Is Deception by misscherrysmith(f): 8:20pm On Apr 16, 2020
TiffanyJ:

I'm still here, my dear. I'm good. How have you been?

Awesome!

1 Like

Re: Sanity Is Deception by gracile(f): 10:36am On Apr 18, 2020
TiffanyJ:

Lol.
I am working on a new story.

Yassssssss can’t wait cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Book's Excerpt: Max Siollun's Soldiers Of Fortune(history Of Nigeria) / The Starfish Story / How To Stop Your Man From Cheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.