Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,072 members, 7,811,008 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? (7397 Views)

We Can Be As Perfect As God, Here Is How - Pastor Sunday Adelaja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 10:06am On Jan 15, 2020
Considering the fact that the majority of Christians have been taught that Jesus is God, that is a very good question. “And the answer is…”—Yes, and No. Huh?

The answer is Yes only because most versions of the Bible wrongly capitalize the word “God” in Hebrews 1:8 and elsewhere. In a sense, the answer is also Yes because Jesus is called “god” in the Bible. The answer is No because Jesus is never called “God” in the same way as is the Father, who Jesus himself referred to as “the only true God” (John 17:3). There is only one “capital-G” God, and that is the Father (1 Cor. 8:6). And, as we will see, Jesus is far and away the best of all the “small-g” gods.

Jesus is called “god” in the Bible? Yes, and so are Satan, Moses, the spiritual leaders of Israel, and pagan deities. A study of the word “god” in Scripture will show that there are quite a number of different ways that word is used, and that whether or not it is capitalized makes a big difference in its meaning.

So let’s look into the answer to this frequently asked question, starting in John 10:25-39. For the sake of brevity, and because the scriptures I will cite are covered in our book, One God & One Lord: Reconsidering the Cornerstone of the Christian Faith, I will paraphrase (and perhaps colloquialize) some of them. On this Biblical Unitarian website, you can go to “An Explanation of Verses Sometimes Used to Support the Trinity” and see what we say about the verses I mention or click on the hyper links for further study.

In John 10, the Jews were bugging Jesus to tell them once and for all if he was the Messiah, and he replied by saying (v. 25ff) that it should have been obvious to them by the miracles he did. He then drew a parallel between him and his Father (vv. 28,29), saying that no one could snatch a chosen one from either of their hands. His next statement has been too often wrenched from its context and grossly misinterpreted: “I and my Father are one.” How so? Clearly, in the sense that he just stated.

The Jews, very dissatisfied with Jesus’ answer, picked up stones to kill him, whereupon Jesus asked them which miracle they didn’t like. “It’s not the miracles,” they said, “it’s that you, a man, claim to be a god.” That is the proper translation of the verse, but nearly all Bible versions mistranslate it as “…claim to be God,” and, without a shred of textual justification, the NIV goes so far as to add in the adjective “mere” before the word “man.” Both of those translational foibles serve only to confuse people about this classic and critical section of Scripture. No Jew in his right mind would have said that Jesus was claiming to be God (Yahweh). Had they thought that, they would have dismissed him as demented. They all knew that the Messiah was to be a man, but they had it in for Jesus and refused to believe that he was that man.

Had Jesus been “God” in the sense that most Christians today think he is, this was his golden opportunity to make that clear: “You’re right—I am God.” Instead, quoting from Psalm 82, he said, “Hold it, doesn’t the Old Testament call the judges of Israel ‘gods’? Well then, what’s so bad about me saying I’m the Son of God?” By the way, if words have definitive meanings, one cannot be both the Son of God and God.

Look at Psalm 82—it’s only eight verses, and is talking about God’s evaluation of those He had called to lead Israel. In verse one we see the cultural Hebrew usage of the word “god” as referring to one whom God chose as His representative. In verses 2-7 God laments how badly those “gods” were doing in caring for His people, and the psalm closes in verse 8 with a plea for the Messiah to come and rule the earth righteously. Unfortunately, the word “god” is wrongly capitalized in verse 8.

Let’s look at a couple of other places in the Old Testament where the Messiah is referred to as “god.” The first is Isaiah 9:6—Merry Christmas! Sure, you’ve no doubt seen a card with that verse on it. Too bad the word “god” is once again wrongly capitalized. The Messiah would not be the mighty “God,” he would be the mighty “god.” The Moffatt Bible and Martin Luther’s translation read “mighty hero” rather than “mighty God.” That is a very accurate rendering, because, as the ultimate representative of God, the Messiah would be the hero of all heroes. And Jesus was exactly that! He perfectly represented God’s heart to mankind. He is the “god” called for in Psalm 82:8.

How about Psalm 45, another prophecy about the Messiah—this one about him riding forth victoriously to conquer and then rule the earth as God’s perfect representative. Verses 6 and 7 are quoted in Hebrews 1:8 and 9, which is where we will go next. Sad to say that in verse 6 the word “god” is once again mis-capitalized as “God.” No, like Psalm 82 and Isaiah 9:6, this psalm is also speaking of the Man among men, the one whom God would empower to restore His lost Paradise.

OK, let’s look at Hebrews 1, and the context of the quote from Psalm 45. For the record, Hebrews 1 and 2 are a trenchant account of Jesus Christ’s journey from suffering to glory, emphasizing why he had to be a man (the Last Adam) in order to be the Redeemer of mankind. They are covered in detail in Chapters 2 and 3 of our One God & One Lord book. Hebrews 1:1-3 shows how God did His best in Old Testament times to communicate to mankind via the spoken and written words of the prophets, but what He really had in mind was Jesus, His ultimate image. Verse 4 then begins a most significant analogy between Jesus and the angels that goes all the way through Chapter 2.

Verses 5, 6, and 7, each quoting an Old Testament reference, are speaking about the resurrection of Jesus Christ (v. 5—it’s not about his birth—look at Ps. 2:7 & Acts 13:33) and his return to the earth to rule (v. 6). Verse 8 clarifies that Psalm 45:6 and 7 are a Messianic prophecy, but the translators once again mis-capitalize “god” as “God.” But look at verse 9! It says, “…therefore God, even your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.” Say, if one is God, how can anyone else be his “God”? That should be a more frequently asked question! In agreement with many other verses of Scripture, Hebrews 1:9 is clearly saying that because Jesus Christ suffered and died, God raised him from the dead and highly exalted (anointed) him as Lord.

Another pertinent verse is John 20:28, where Thomas cried out upon first seeing the resurrected Christ: “My Lord and my God.” Many people use that verse to prove that Jesus is God, but it does not, for two reasons. The first is that the Bible is not stating that Jesus is God, the Bible is stating that Thomas called Jesus “God.” And the second reason is that “God” should be “god.” As a Jew, Thomas was familiar with that usage of the word “god.”

So, the Bible does refer to Jesus as “god,” but only in the sense of his being the perfect representative of the only true God, his Father and his God. Neither God nor Jesus ever said that he is God. Both call him the Son of God.

From Biblical Unitarian
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by MizzPhoney(f): 10:11am On Jan 15, 2020
WOW! So I took my time to read something "Christian" written by AntiChristian... How ironically delusional!

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 2:15pm On Jan 15, 2020
MizzPhoney:
WOW! So I took my time to read something "Christian" written by AntiChristian... How ironically delusional!

Just Read and learn. Leave the Moniker...Embrace the message.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by ManyThanks: 8:34pm On Jan 15, 2020
you err not not knowing the scriptures. you muslims know you are holding on to something that is not working. Most of you are blinded by hate for Christians hence this hate speech of yours against the Lord. Hate speech? Yes hate speech. There is fear of islamisation in Nigeria.Terrorism is high in the north but all you can invest your time in is some blind interpretation in a bid to spread lies. Before Jesus was born, He was already reffered to as God. I am gong to show you from scriptures since you believe in the Bible. First of all, Jesus is the personality of the tripartite, made up of the Father, Son(Himself) and the Holy Ghost). Read Genesis 1: 26. The Ghost writing through John in John 1;1 called Him God. When satan tempted Him, what was His reply? Don't tempt your God(Me Jesus). Hope you are still reading? Since you believe the Bible my exposition shouldn't be hard for you to absorb. Now see the prophecy before His birth from Isaiah in the book of Isaiah 9. He was called Mighty God in verse 6. Hmmmmm! That must be hard on you. I don't think it should since you actually believe on the Bible. You went through the Bible, picked some verses and gave your fanatical explanation but see, tht Bible is Spiritual. The only authoritative word of God Almighty. In summary, read Isaiah 9;6. In the new testament He is called great God in Titus 2:11-13, John 1:1. Finally, He called himself Godin mathew 4;4, Luke 4:8,12. Worship Him sir. He has borne it all for us.......... please go through the Bible quotations there and deliver yourself from ignorance. The thing you called allah is no god sir. Jesus died for sin of you and me
He is in heaven now with the Father. Repent and make you ways right today brother. He is doing mighty things in my family currently. My younger brother's testimony he texted me today is frightening. Maybe you want to hear it. Go and read the Binl and read ot well. Islam has no Salvation, JESUS alone has.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by MuttleyLaff: 2:31am On Jan 16, 2020
MizzPhoney:
You're sure give AntiChristian credit more than AntiChristian deserves. You took your time to read something almost entirely cut and pasted from elsewhere, I mean what you read was almost entirely, copied and pasted here, by AntiChristian, from the below website link:
https://www.truthortradition.com/articles/does-the-bible-ever-refer-to-jesus-christ-as-god

Doing something like that betrays AntiChristian's lack of original thought. It exposes AntiChristian's lack of any meaningful content from a personal perspective and/or understanding.

Maybe when AntiChristian learns to make comments without having to copy and paste other people's original thought and work here, we might have an original thought from AntiChristian to read and not be reading all this persistent advertisement of AntiChristian's ignorance and lack of understanding here everytime.

AntiChristian, needs to try to make comments here, using AntiChristian's own words, own understanding, own thoughts and not be so quick to be bring in content from third parties, who aren't here to talk for themselves or able to defend what they've typed that AntiChristian has copied and pasted on to the thread. AntiChristian isn't the originator of that content repeated here on this thread and so AntiChristian wouldn't be in a position to defend any part of the content.

AntiChristian:
Just Read and learn. Leave the Moniker...Embrace the message.
AntiChristian here is a simple and easy question I'll like you to answer. Please who is it, that only, knows what's in peoples' heart, that always knows what people are thinking, that always and without failing knows every person's thoughts. Knows whats in every human being? Thans in advance for your reply as you give the name or a name, for such person.

ManyThanks:
you err not not knowing the scriptures. you muslims know you are holding on to something that is not working. Most of you are blinded by hate for Christians hence this hate speech of yours against the Lord. Hate speech? Yes hate speech. There is fear of islamisation in Nigeria.Terrorism is high in the north but all you can invest your time in is some blind interpretation in a bid to spread lies. Before Jesus was born, He was already reffered to as God. I am gong to show you from scriptures since you believe in the Bible. First of all, Jesus is the personality of the tripartite, made up of the Father, Son(Himself) and the Holy Ghost). Read Genesis 1: 26. The Ghost writing through John in John 1;1 called Him God. When satan tempted Him, what was His reply? Don't tempt your God(Me Jesus). Hope you are still reading? Since you believe the Bible my exposition shouldn't be hard for you to absorb. Now see the prophecy before His birth from Isaiah in the book of Isaiah 9. He was called Mighty God in verse 6. Hmmmmm! That must be hard on you. I don't think it should since you actually believe on the Bible. You went through the Bible, picked some verses and gave your fanatical explanation but see, tht Bible is Spiritual. The only authoritative word of God Almighty. In summary, read Isaiah 9;6. In the new testament He is called great God in Titus 2:11-13, John 1:1. Finally, He called himself Godin mathew 4;4, Luke 4:8,12. Worship Him sir. He has borne it all for us.......... please go through the Bible quotations there and deliver yourself from ignorance. The thing you called allah is no god sir. Jesus died for sin of you and me
He is in heaven now with the Father. Repent and make you ways right today brother. He is doing mighty things in my family currently. My younger brother's testimony he texted me today is frightening. Maybe you want to hear it. Go and read the Binl and read ot well. Islam has no Salvation, JESUS alone has.
Gbam

3 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 7:27am On Jan 16, 2020
Yes, Jesus mentioned as God, Alpha and Omega, Beginning and the End, First and Last, Everlasting Father, etc in many scripture verses.

1 John 5:7 "there are three that bear witness in heaven. The Father, The Word (Jesus), The Holyghost. These three are one.

The Human body, soul and spirit are one.

Revelation 1:17. "Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. "

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 8:59am On Jan 16, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
You're sure give AntiChristian credit more than AntiChristian deserves. You took your time to read something almost entirely cut and pasted from elsewhere, I mean what you read was almost entirely, copied and pasted here, by AntiChristian, from the below website link:
https://www.truthortradition.com/articles/does-the-bible-ever-refer-to-jesus-christ-as-god

You are right it was a copy and paste. But you lied on the website. Many people can draw the same/different philosophy from your Book
I copied it from a Unitarian Christian website here:
https://www.biblicalunitarian.com/videos/does-the-bible-ever-refer-to-jesus-christ-as-god

MuttleyLaff:

Doing something like that betrays AntiChristian's lack of original thought. It exposes AntiChristian's lack of any meaningful content from a personal perspective and/or understanding.

Maybe when AntiChristian learns to make comments without having to copy and paste other people's original thought and work here, we might have an original thought from AntiChristian to read and not be reading all this persistent advertisement of AntiChristian's ignorance and lack of understanding here everytime.

Why are you so skillful in telling lies like this? So you mean out of about 50 posts I have on Nairaland, Not a single one was entirely my thought?

MuttleyLaff:

AntiChristian, needs to try to make comments here, using AntiChristian's own words, own understanding, own thoughts and not be so quick to be bring in content from third parties, who aren't here to talk for themselves or able to defend what they've typed that AntiChristian has copied and pasted on to the thread. AntiChristian isn't the originator of that content repeated here on this thread and so AntiChristian wouldn't be in a position to defend any part of the content.

AntiChristian here is a simple and easy question I'll like you to answer. Please who is it, that only, knows what's in peoples' heart, that always knows what people are thinking, that always and without failing knows every person's thoughts. Knows whats in every human being? Thans in advance for your reply as you give the name or a name, for such person.

Gbam

All in all, you mentioned me about 15 times in just one comment of yours. Are you sure I'm not in your dreams?
And which of my post have I not been able to defend?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by ABCthings: 11:05am On Jan 16, 2020
John 1:1 Jesus is God case closed. Godluck trying to misinform next time.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 1:01pm On Jan 16, 2020
ABCthings:
John 1:1 Jesus is God case closed. Godluck trying to misinform next time.

So how do you explain:

Matthew 24:36, & Mark 13:32

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Only the father is all-knowing! Do i still need to quote the Bible verse that states that God is Omniscient for you?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by ABCthings: 1:24pm On Jan 16, 2020
AntiChristian:

So how do you explain:

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Only the father is all-knowing! Do i still need to quote the Bible verse that states that God is Omniscient for you?
What part of " God in three forms(Trinity) " don't you understand?

Or are you just hearing;
God the Father
God the Son
And God the Holyspirit
for the first time?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:25pm On Jan 16, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Complement of the Season bro!

If I may ask you, what is your own view on the subject. Do you see Jesus as God and been same as Father? Or see Jesus as God but not same as God the Father.
Let me paint a clearer picture with God's names. Is Jesus same personality as Yahweh,, or they both share same powerhouse (e.g Aso rock villa house the Presidency. In this system, Office of the President has many smaller offices like SGF, AGF, etc. When AGF makes a statement, it is compounded as Presidency or FG, even though the office of the AGF is a small unit in the Office of the President.), thereby both operate as God but different personalities

On a wider sense, how do you define the word 'God'. Can someone or something attain such status; or are there possibilities that there are more than one God?

Thanks
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:29pm On Jan 16, 2020
ABCthings:

Or are you just hearing;
God the Father
God the Son
And God the Holyspirit
for the first time?

I am seeing the same thing. Antichristian would better understand if you explain to him what 'God' mean. Maybe, just maybe it is a status or office or form of authority like Office of the President. Always keep at the back of your mind that in the Office of the President, we still have SGF, AGF, Media which are all referred to as Presidency, but none of these sub offices equates to office of the GCFR.

Using that analogy, is Jesus a form of SGF to the president which can be known as The President? Or Jesus is GCFR?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by CaveAdullam: 8:15pm On Jan 16, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Gbam
That is why I call you old classic specimen of a human being.

That guy; Antichristian is trying to take the position of jesusjnr, he is an utter clown. Lol

Didn't even waste my time reading. I just got to let him get behind me.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by ABCthings: 8:58pm On Jan 16, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

I am seeing the same thing. Antichristian would better understand if you explain to him what 'God' mean. Maybe, just maybe it is a status or office or form of authority like Office of the President. Always keep at the back of your mind that in the Office of the President, we still have SGF, AGF, Media which are all referred to as Presidency, but none of these sub offices equates to office of the GCFR.

Using that analogy, is Jesus a form of SGF to the president which can be known as The President? Or Jesus is GCFR?
except none is lesser than the others. Take it like a triangle.
Each angle with different name but they are still the same equilateral triangle. None is less than the other.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by MuttleyLaff: 12:59am On Jan 17, 2020
FOLYKAZE:
Complement of the Season bro!
Thanks

FOLYKAZE:
If I may ask you, what is your own view on the subject. Do you see Jesus as God and been same as Father? Or see Jesus as God but not same as God the Father.
I'll before getting accused of sidestepping and/or ducking your question, give you my brief and clearly expressed answer and almost immediately will boomerang your question turned on its head, lol, back to you.

FOLYKAZE, without any shadow of doubt, Jesus is God and is same One, as God, the Father. Now, here's your question back at you, but standing on its head, lol. Do you see God, has not at all, able to or not capable of concurrently being God, the Father and Jesus Christ or not, lol? Well, you've likely, often heard it said, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Something to be done right is exactly what it's all about and so what God did. This is a matter of the classsic DIY aka Do-It-Yourself. Read on, and from the start of the bottom half on this post, for more on this God's DIY Project.

FOLYKAZE:
Let me paint a clearer picture with God's names.
I am lurving this your à la "Pablo Picasso and/or Michelangelo" painting(s) and salivating especially in anticipation of what painted picture is going to emerge, lol.

FOLYKAZE:
Is Jesus same personality as Yahweh, or they both share same powerhouse (e.g Aso rock villa house the Presidency. In this system, Office of the President has many smaller offices like SGF, AGF, etc. When AGF makes a statement, it is compounded as Presidency or FG, even though the office of the AGF is a small unit in the Office of the President.), thereby both operate as God but different personalities
FOLYKAZE, tbh, I like this and I really do because it obvious you must have, at some stage and time got absorbed in thought about all this, just like I also have light years ago done before.

Of course, you know that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree nah, so the answer is, yes, Jesus is the same personality as Yahweh. It even gets better FOLYKAZE, because aside they both having the same personalities of each other, they actually equally share a same powerhouse known as the Spirit/Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost.

Let me go into details, a little bit about the meaning and/or implication of the word "Holy" in the phrase "Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost". As it happens, there are seven distinct expressions of that previously word "Spirit" (i.e. from, ''... they actually equally share a same powerhouse known as the Spirit'') and before Pentecost in the upper room (please read up Acts 2:1-39) the Spirit used to make appearances separately, but on the day of Pentecost in the upper room, it has since been made available in its entirety, meaning the seven distinct expressions of the word "Spirit" is available to all, hence the word the "Holy" in "Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost" signifies completeness, wholeness, the whole of the seven expression of the "Spirit".

"Angels only take human forms when on assignment from God. Except being on official assignment, celestial beings never take on form that look or resembles human beings. This is part of the reasons, why no one has ever seen physically Satan or seen a demon. I repeat that only human beings were given the mandate to procreate, never celestial beings also known as angels."
- Re: Who Said Angels Don't Have Sexual Feelings? by MuttleyLaff: 12:43pm On Feb 09 2019

Unless a spirit is sent on an official assignment by God to one, one will never ever physically see the spirit. Though spirits might be about where one is, one will never ever physically with eye natural vision see such spirits, except a type of 2 Kings 6:17 "O LORD, please open his eyes that he may see" Elisha prayer is answered.

In Aso Rock setting AGFs/SGFs make statements, but it doesnt work like that in the Godhead and/or Godhood. Nobody makes statements except for when authorized and/or empowered to do so. There's reason celestial beings/cherubims/seraphims are called angelic host of heaven

FOLYKAZE:
On a wider sense, how do you define the word 'God'.
This is another good question, and one such that I have really and truly loved asking other people. I love asking the question, because, it gives a gauge of knowing what they know about that word, God.

I am not going to jump to defining the word God, without first, laying the groundwork, to pave the way to defining the word God, lol, so to make it is easier, for you and any interested, to see the road I travelled on to come and/or arrive at this destination definition.

"Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and their glory is in their shame.
Their minds are set on earthly things.
"
- Philippians 3:19

FOLYKAZE, let's first and foremost agree together, that there is only ONE God. There are, of course, many and/or varied gods, as there are human beings, thats talking of someone like you and every other human being, who naturally are gods. Also, now you yourself for instance, can be classified, as a different kind of god because of how adept you are in the knowledge of Yoruba spirituality.

Moving on, there are human beings/inanimate object/things deified as gods. There is apotheosis or self-deification, as in, meaning, the self elevation to the status of a god so to be worshipped (e.g. Egyptian Pharaohs, Roman Emperors, Shango, albeit he became god of thunder, lightning and storms after he died, etcetera) There are abstracts, that become gods, when their forces, characteristics and motivations gets a grip on their victims, such that they often end up influenced in unsavoury ways/manners by gods such as the belly/stomach/narcotics/Mammon etcetera. The point, I am making is there the ONE God and there are different types, forms and/or flavors of gods

"I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty’—
but I did not reveal my name, Yahweh, to them
(i.e. but I did not make Myself known to them by My holy name, Yahweh/Jehovah/YHWH
"
- Exodus 6:3

The word, God, obviously, we both accept and know, isnt the name of God, but is a verb word. Incidentally, the name of God, that is built on from the words for "I AM", is too, related to a verb of action. We know, God is known by what He does and that in Exodus 6:3, is exactly what He was communicating to Moses that He appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, but they never witnessed/experienced a demonstration of why He, God, is called/known as "I AM" and that the Israelites and any that cross them or tries to prevent the Israelites from getting to the Promised Land will soon find out, lol.

Anyway, here's the much awaited definition of God. There is only one God, just as there is only one water, and regardless of, whether instead saying water, you call it "omi" in Yoruba, "aqua" in Latin, "ruwa" in Hausa or "mmiri" in Igbo, it is the same water that's H2O in make up. So, God by definition and/or the meaning of the word God, convey a message, information or import that God,
is the force, and is an Uncreated Living, Intelligent, Omnipresent, Self-Supporting, All-Powerful, Authority, Influence, Self-Existing, Infinite being.

God, is a force, an influence beyond scientific understanding lol. God is, someone without any bound, without limit, without an end. God is the first and the last, God oxymoronically has no beginning and no end. God is a supernatural being, someone bigger and larger than any specified number, even three or trinity. This means, dont put God in a box. It explains why God in His infinite wisdom didnt allow the the word trinity to be printed black and white kokoro out in the Bible.

God, can send Himself on an errand, and did send Himself to earth, in the form of Jesus Christ because God simultaneously can be in more than one place at a time (i.e. God can be in Heaven and on earth, at the same time) Note that, Jesus didnt correct people that addressed Him as God, for example, where and when said: "My Lord, My God" to Him

Christ cannot share the same body with God the father, because God is formless. God has no clear definite shape or size. Jesus Christ is the product of God projecting Himself as a human being in the person of Jesus Christ on earth. Jesus Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. Why does Jesus Christ need to be a human being on earth?. Fundamentally, it is because one needs a human body to lawfully and have a permitted way to legally operate on earth. God is not going to be a law breaker and be breaking Genesis 1:26-28. Or would you expect Him to?

Now, though Jesus is God, He did not think of equality with God, as something to cling to. Instead, He gave up his divine privileges. He took the humble position of a servant and was born as a human being, and so God appeared on earth, in human form, as in, the person of Jesus Christ, God's Son, which means, it is a guarantee and not rocket science, that fathers will always know things that sons will have no idea or knowledge of.

FOLYKAZE:
Can someone or something attain such status; or are there possibilities that there are more than one God?
""Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered.
"No one is good--except God alone.
(i.e. Only God is good. Only God is truly good.
"
- Luke 18:19

"Jesus said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? Only God is good.
If you want to have eternal life, you must obey His commandments."
"
- Matthew 19:17

No one, can become God. No one can attain the God status. The God status, the devil learned the hard and bitter way, that the position is exclusively for God only. Ultimately, we'll in the true and good sense of the Genesis 1:26 "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness" comment, become like God, but not become God. Nobody can become FOLYKAZE, but nothing stops any you might, become like FOLYKAZE.

There are no possibilities that there are more than one God. FOLYKAZE, there can be only one captain to a boat, as a boat with two and/or more captains, in it, will sink.

FOLYKAZE:
Thanks
No, thank you. I owe you FOLYKAZE. Remember? So I am glad to have the opportunity to do this, and so, meaning you really didn't need to mention your thanks, lol.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 8:04am On Jan 17, 2020
ABCthings:

Or are you just hearing;
God the Father
God the Son
And God the Holyspirit
for the first time?

Don't run from the subject matter. Are the Son and spirit omniscient?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 8:05am On Jan 17, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

grin Dangerous Analogy!
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 8:22am On Jan 17, 2020
CaveAdullam:
That is why I call you old classic specimen of a human being.

That guy; Antichristian is trying to take the position of jesusjnr, he is an utter clown. Lol

Didn't even waste my time reading. I just got to let him get behind me.

Stop that? How will you type such lies on me? Anyways:

Matthew 23:33
"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 8:29am On Jan 17, 2020
ABCthings:
Each angle with different name but they are still the same equilateral triangle. None is less than the other.

Stop this lies. You can't prove this.

Jesus said "the Father is greater than I" John 14:28

John 10:29 "My father is greater than all"

It's a Scalene triangle where all sides are not equal.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 8:34am On Jan 17, 2020
mrZENographer:
Yes, Jesus mentioned as God, Alpha and Omega, Beginning and the End, First and Last, Everlasting Father, etc in many scripture verses.

1 John 5:7 "there are three that bear witness in heaven. The Father, The Word (Jesus), The Holyghost. These three are one.

The Human body, soul and spirit are one.

Revelation 1:17. "Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. "

So how do we explain this verses?

Only the father is all-knowing! Do I still need to quote the Bible verse that states that God is Omniscient for you?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:57am On Jan 17, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

FOLY, without any shadow of doubt, Jesus is God and is same One, as God, the Father. Now, here's your question back at you, but standing on its head, lol. Do you see God, has not at all, able to or not capable of concurrently being God, the Father and Jesus Christ or not, lol? Well, you've likely, often heard it said, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Something to be done right is exactly what it's all about and so what God did. This is a matter of the classsic DIY aka Do-It-Yourself. Read on, and from the start of the bottom half on this post, for more on this God's DIY Project.

I will only fast rope on the X spot. You have made a statement but you need to be more definite with your words. Like many Trinitarians, I accept Godhood is one but there are different character in the triangle. This is more like the Presidency. The next problem is how we define Oneness and what constitute oneness.

A good shot from Gen 2:24 and Matt 19:4-6 define union of a man and a woman as oneness.

If I were to fire more shots, John 17:20-22 is the best projectile because it explains that believers are one.

What does this oneness mean? Marriage and or brotherhood. And what constitute this oneness, it is different actors and characters.

Addressing your question, God could take the form of Man. And that implies that he wouldn't be on his throne at the moment he is on Earth. Looking at Heb 9:14, that verse stated that Jesus sacrificed himself to God. This tells that Jesus who offered himself is an entity and God who accepted the sacrifice is a separate entity. The logic of sacrifice is one gives and another receives. Unless you Trinitarians want to tell us that God killed himself to appeal himself, the sacrifice of Jesus dictates that more than one actor is involved.

MuttleyLaff:

Of course, you know that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree nah, so the answer is, yes, Jesus is the same personality as Yahweh. It even gets better FOLYKAZE, because aside they both having the same personalities of each other, they actually equally share a same powerhouse known as the Spirit/Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost.

You know me too well that I can't accept statement from you without supporting Bible quotation. Please show me the verse from the bible that said Jesus is Jehovah.

I wouldn't accept Adonai and Lord game as found in Matt 22:44. I want you to direct me to where Bible said Jesus is Jehovah.

MuttleyLaff:
In Aso Rock setting AGFs/SGFs make statements, but it doesnt work like that in the Godhead and/or Godhood. Nobody makes statements except for when authorized and/or empowered to do so. There's reason celestial beings/cherubims/seraphims are called angelic host of heaven

Yes, I know Godhood doesn't operate like Aso Rock. In Aso Villa, there is some of Democracy unlike Autocracy form of Government practiced in Heaven. And one indisputable fact about the heaven Government is that there are subordinates, councils and hierarchies. These subordinates are Angels and Holy Spirits who run errands. The Elders and Queens of heaven form hierarchies. And the Gods (children of El) form the Government. We also have the oppositions. In all these, there are more than one personalities.

What I seem not fathomable is how you accepted God has higher authority over his subjects (Holy Spirit) and can send them at will anywhere; but sees same subject as equal in authority as God.

Jesus even declared in John 14:28 that God is greater than him.

Are these not enough to make you see through that Trinity is a set of three.

That reminds me. Trinity is from the word Trinita (latin) which mean three-ness or property of occurring three at once. In Greek, trinity is triado which mean a set of three.

From the definition of the word, bible and argument in support, doesn't this clearly mean Jesus and God are different personalities in one Godhood?

MuttleyLaff:
This is another good question, and one such that I have really and truly loved asking other people. I love asking the question, because, it gives a gauge of knowing what they know about that word, God.

I am not going to jump to defining the word God, without first, laying the groundwork, to pave the way to defining the word God, lol, so to make it is easier, for you and any interested, to see the road I travelled on to come and/or arrive at this destination definition.

"Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and their glory is in their shame.
Their minds are set on earthly things.
"
- Philippians 3:19

FOLY, let's first and foremost agree together, that there is only ONE God. There are, of course, many and/or varied gods, as there are human beings, thats talking of someone like you and every other human being, who naturally are gods. Also, now you yourself for instance, can be classified, as a different kind of god because of how adept you are in the knowledge of Yoruba spirituality.

Moving on, there are human beings/inanimate object/things deified as gods. There is apotheosis or self-deification, as in, meaning, the self elevation to the status of a god so to be worshipped (e.g. Egyptian Pharaohs, Roman Emperors, Shango, albeit he became god of thunder, lightning and storms after he died, etcetera) There are abstracts, that become gods, when their forces, characteristics and motivations gets a grip on their victims, such that they often end up influenced in unsavoury ways/manners by gods such as the belly/stomach/narcotics/Mammon etcetera. The point, I am making is there the ONE God and there are different types, forms and/or flavors of gods

"I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty’—
but I did not reveal my name, Yahweh, to them
(i.e. but I did not make Myself known to them by My holy name, Yahweh/Jehovah/YHWH
"
- Exodus 6:3

The word, God, obviously, we both accept and know, isnt the name of God, but is a verb word. Incidentally, the name of God, that is built on from the words for "I AM", is too, related to a verb of action. We know, God is known by what He does and that in Exodus 6:3, is exactly what He was communicating to Moses that He appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, but they never witnessed/experienced a demonstration of why He, God, is called/known as "I AM" and that the Israelites and any that cross them or tries to prevent the Israelites from getting to the Promised Land will soon find out, lol.

Lol.

You are saying and want me to agree that God is one. Ain't you the same person that said God is three?

MuttleyLaff:
Anyway, here's the much awaited definition of God. There is only one God, just as there is only one water, and regardless of, whether instead saying water, you call it "omi" in Yoruba, "aqua" in Latin, "ruwa" in Hausa or "mmiri" in Igbo, it is the same water that's H2O in make up. So, God by definition and/or the meaning of the word God, convey a message, information or import that God,
is the force, and is an Uncreated Living, Intelligent, Omnipresent, Self-Supporting, All-Powerful, Authority, Influence, Self-Existing, Infinite being.

Does this definition applies to Jesus and Holy Spirit. If your answer is yes, explain to me in your own understandings how Holy spirit which you claimed is God is an Uncreated living, intelligent, omnipresent, self-existing, infinite being.

And just in case your answer is no, explain why you are dancing all around.

MuttleyLaff:
God, is a force, an influence beyond scientific understanding lol. God is, someone without any bound, without limit, without an end. God is the first and the last, God oxymoronically has no beginning and no end. God is a supernatural being, someone bigger and larger than any specified number, even three or trinity. This means, dont put God in a box. It explains why God in His infinite wisdom didnt allow the the word trinity to be printed black and white kokoro out in the Bible.

Kindly explain how Jesus fits in here sir.

MuttleyLaff:
God, can send Himself on an errand, and did send Himself to earth, in the form of Jesus Christ because God simultaneously can be in more than one place at a time

Back this statement up with bible verses.

MuttleyLaff:
(i.e. God can be in Heaven and on earth, at the same time) Note that, Jesus didnt correct people that addressed Him as God, for example, where and when said: "My Lord, My God" to Him

Unless you are playing some hanky panky game with me, you should have known that God or Lord can apply to anyone or anything. It is about perception. For example, Judges were referred to as God in Exo 22:28. Infact, God himself called Judges who are human 'God'. The word is ambiguous and not designated for a singularity. This is why what you supposedly see as a God must have a name. A name is specific and definite. I believe this God you are talking about is Jehovah. If that is his name, Thomas did not call Jesus by the name 'Jehovah'. He simply call him God because the word applies to Jesus and every other things one perceive having authority.
I will appreciate if you can help me with verse where Jesus is called Jehovah.

And please I can see the God/god game, it doesn't worth it (i believe you can do better than that).

MuttleyLaff:
Christ cannot share the same body with God the father, because God is formless. God has no clear definite shape or size. Jesus Christ is the product of God projecting Himself as a human being in the person of Jesus Christ on earth. Jesus Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. Why does Jesus Christ need to be a human being on earth?. Fundamentally, it is because one needs a human body to lawfully and have a permitted way to legally operate on earth. God is not going to be a law breaker and be breaking Genesis 1:26-28. Or would you expect Him to?

Isnt this the God that had galvanized and cruised the Earth as human according to Gen 3:8 and Gen 18:1-5. Is this not the God that physically fought with Jacob Gen 32?. And in heaven, he was seen sitting on a throne. Formless on a throne?

If I still understand my bible very well. There is a particular verse where God wondered who is it will go down and deliver mankind. According to the story, Jesus indicated he will go down, left his crown in his throne and asked God to send him. And God sent him.

The story reveals that Jesus and God are different entities. But here my friend is telling me Jesus a slice of God. Hilarious!

MuttleyLaff:
Now, though Jesus is God, He did not think of equality with God, as something to cling to. Instead, He gave up his divine privileges. He took the humble position of a servant and was born as a human being, and so God appeared on earth, in human form, as in, the person of Jesus Christ, God's Son, which means, it is a guarantee and not rocket science, that fathers will always know things that sons will have no idea or knowledge of.

""Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered.
"No one is good--except God alone.
(i.e. Only God is good. Only God is truly good.
"
- Luke 18:19

"Jesus said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? Only God is good.
If you want to have eternal life, you must obey His commandments."
"
- Matthew 19:17

At the emboldened. Jesus is God, no dispute. The line of argument is if jesus is Jehovah. You haven't show us how he is.

MuttleyLaff:
No one, can become God. No one can attain the God status. The God status, the devil learned the hard and bitter way, that the position is exclusively for God only. Ultimately, we'll in the true and good sense of the Genesis 1:26 "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness" comment, become like God, but not become God. Nobody can become FOLY, but nothing stops any you might, become like FOLY.

It is confusing when you use the word 'God' instead of the name of God you are referring to.

It is also undisputable, there can never be anyone like Jehovah. But wait, is Jehovah same as the Most High who appeared to Melchizedek. Remember Jehovah only appeared to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and prolly Moses?

MuttleyLaff:
There are no possibilities that there are more than one God. FOLY, there can be only one captain to a boat, as a boat with two and/or more captains, in it, will sink.

Oh well, your proposition support my claim that Jesus isn't same person as Jehovah. You are the one telling us they are same personality.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:15am On Jan 17, 2020
ABCthings:

Yes, I know there is one Pyramid or Triangle. And in this Triangle like you call it, there are three different actors or characters, just like there are different actors that form the Presidency. But hey, there is only one GCFR and some sub offices like AGF and SGF.

Even when Jesus said in John 14:28 that Jehovah is greater than him, and he is a subject to Jehovah authority, I wonder where and how you trinitarians conclude that Jesus equates or is the same person as Jehovah.

Don't forget we ain't disputing if Jesus is God. Judges are referred to as God too. Our focus is if Jesus is Jehovah. Like I asked, if Jesus is the SGF or the GCFR.

Also note, the oneness mean nothing. Husband and wife can be one. But are they really single entity? Isn't there hierarchy in marriage? Or the wife isn't subject of the Husband even when they are unison?

So sir, using that previous analogy, tell us if Jesus is the SGF or the GCFR
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by CaveAdullam: 12:20pm On Jan 17, 2020
Is FOLYKAZE no longer an atheist or am I missing monikers?

FOLYKAZE are you the one?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:42pm On Jan 17, 2020
CaveAdullam:
Is FOLY no longer an atheist or am I missing monikers?

FOLY are you the one?

Yes I am!

Knowledge is larger than existence. It has no boundaries and limit. I choose to know, for it guides one paths to truth where salvation stream down from.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by CaveAdullam: 12:49pm On Jan 17, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

Yes I am!

Knowledge is larger than existence. It has no boundaries and limit. I choose to know, for it guides one paths to truth where salvation stream down from.

Where are you standing?

Do you now believe in God?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:06pm On Jan 17, 2020
CaveAdullam:
Where are you standing?

Do you now believe in God?

No knowledge is worthless. I still read bible and sometimes quran. Studies more Ifa corpus. I strive to always know.

Can we focus on the topic now?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by ABCthings: 2:11pm On Jan 17, 2020
@FOLYKAZE

AntiChristian:

Don't run from the subject matter. Are the Son and spirit omniscient?
This is a good question.
We have John 1:1 stating Jesus as God
And John 14: 28 stating that God is greater than Jesus.

Hmm... Wait lemme consult the elders.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 2:38pm On Jan 17, 2020
ABCthings:
@FOLYKAZE

This is a good question.

You don't have the Holy Spirit in you. grin
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:55pm On Jan 17, 2020
ABCthings:
@FOLY

This is a good question.

1 cor 8:5. There are many that are called God both in heaven and on Earth.

Jesus is God, no dispute. But is he Jehovah?

Why are you evading the Presidency, SGF and AGF analogy? Tell us if Jesus is the SGF or GCFR
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 3:02pm On Jan 17, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

1 cor 8:5. There are many that are called God both in heaven and on Earth.

Jesus is God, no dispute. But is he Jehovah?

Why are you evading the Presidency, SGF and AGF analogy? Tell us if Jesus is the SGF or GCFR

Jesus no be God.

God is Omniscient but Jesus is not!
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2020
AntiChristian:

So how do we explain this verses?

Only the father is all-knowing! Do I still need to quote the Bible verse that states that God is Omniscient for you?

John 8:42 "Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me."

John 13:16 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him."

John 17:5 "And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was."

John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things,"

1 John 5:7 "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 3:17pm On Jan 17, 2020
mrZENographer:

John 8:42 "Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me."

John 13:16 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him."

John 17:5 "And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was."

John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things,"

So you quoted John all through but failed to reconcile that Matthew verse

Jesus does not know the hour.

The Spirit does not know the hour.

Only the father knows it.

Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; his understanding is infinite (Psalm 147:5). This means God knows everything!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Does The Bible Forbids Taking Of Alcoholic Drinks Or Strong Wine? / CARTOONS LEAD CHILDREN TO HELL ( AVOID IT) / How Allah Misled Satan (iblis) According To This Surah!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.