Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,421 members, 7,850,496 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:09 PM

'god' Must Be A Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'god' Must Be A Nigerian (557 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'god' Must Be A Nigerian by LocalChamp: 5:57pm On Dec 06, 2010
'god' Must Be A Nigerian

Written by Terver Atsar

Monday, 06 December 2010 14:11

I think it is Country Musician Dan Seals who in 1984 released a hit single titled 'God must be a Cowboy'; but I want to ask if 'God' is also a Nigerian politician; what with the manner in which Nigerian politicians drag His name into everything, both the glorious and the incongruous?

Even though the Bible warns at Exodus 20:7 that we should not take the name of the Lord our God in vain, this law may very well have been overruled in the case of Nigeria as privilege of His citizenship. Thus in Nigeria, it is not strange for even armed robbers to go to church and do 'thanksgiving'. Politicians go to church with stolen public wealth to give glory to God. When they want to declare for elections they choose the church as the venue where a preacher (actually a hireling) is always handy to deliver eulogies on them in the name of sermons.

When they rig themselves to power, they head for the Church again to desecrate the name of the almighty God, whose eyes cannot behold iniquity, where they get another 'Reverend' to bless them and prophesy good concerning their tenure. What kind of blessing is that? And finally when the long arm of the law catches up with them these stealers of the people's mandate still head for the Church again to thank God!

The role of our preachers in condoning this despicable behaviour cannot be overlooked. The god of Mammon has so much blindfolded many a preacher that few are able to stand like Samuel to rebuke an earrant King Saul, or like Prophet Elijah to rebuke a King Ahab.

Recently Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, the ousted impostor to the Osun Governorship, unveiled his own edition of desecration of God's name. As if the impunity of his grave crime against the electorate of Osun State is not enough, Oyinlola, who in the eyes of the law, is no better than an impostor, still had some audacity to organise a jamboree reception cum thanksgiving service. For heaven's sake what exactly is he thanking God for? For allowing him to get away with treason or for letting him to be a free man when he should be in some prison cell?

And the presence of former Presidents Obasanjo and Gen. Ibrahim Babangida and Governors Gbenga Daniel (Ogun) and Adebayo Alao-Akala (Oyo) and other high profile senior statesmen at this ignominious ceremony tells me that the hope of Nigerians for better future Nigerian leaders looks quite gloomy. When elder statesmen gang up in solidarity to mollify a crooked younger politician instead of chiding him for an act of impunity, then a very bad example is set for aspiring future leaders to emulate. By throwing a party instead of burying his head in shame, Oyinlola has mocked the people of Osun and jeered at Nigerians. It is the height of insensitivity and shamelessness.

One could not help but also notice the brawl that was reported to have ensued between Ayo Fayose and former President Obasanjo at that sham ceremony. That brawl more than anything else provides an insight into the character of the people around the sacked governor- shameless politicians devoid of decorum and integrity. The popular saying, 'show me your friends, and I will show you who you are', comes to mind.

It is pertinent to ask what was going on in the mind of Oyinlola when he urged the people of Osun State to support and pray for Aregbesola the same way they prayed for (him when he was impersonating as Governor); that the emergence of the new Governor is the will of God. Could it possibly be that he believes his three and half year illegal occupation of the Government House Osogbo was also the will of God, just as the emergence of Aregbesola through the courts? If so this could be a clear testimony of his ignorance of the God he claims to know. The almighty God is a God of righteousness. He is pure in his thoughts and deeds and there can be no contradiction in his will. If therefore, His will is for Argbesola to have beeen Governor of Osun State since 2007(which Oyinlola has now acknowledged) , but he (Oyinlola) stood in resistance to that will for three and a half years only to fall out by the 'force' of the law, then what God (and indeed Nigerians) expect to hear from him is an apology, borne from a genuine repentant heart and not this half-hearted, face-saving rhetoric.

Ironically the preacher who spoke at that ceremony did not urge Oyinlola to repent before God and man, he did not call for the people to forgive Oyinlola, and rather he asked Oyinlola to forgive those who have wronged him! What sacrilege! If the God of this preacher is not a Nigerian Politician, then some wrath awaits him someday from the Almighty God whose name he desecrates while pretending to serve Him.

The failure of Oyinlola to acknowledge his sin and ask for forgiveness, yet thinking God will accept his 'fat bulls' as sacrifice, places him in the mould of King Saul. After King Saul had disobeyed God and the prophet Samuel, revealed God's wrath against him, all that he cared for was his honour. He still wallowed in the illusion that he had some honour left. Hear him in 1 Samuel 15:30 'I have sinned: yet honour me now, I pray thee, before the elders of my people, and before Israel, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD thy God, '

Compare this to the man David, after he had conducted an illegal census of the people of Israel and God sent a word to him through Prophet Gad. In 1 Chronicles 21:8 David said unto God, I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing: but now, I beseech thee, do away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.

David was described as a man after God's heart, whereas Saul, towards the end of his reingn had this testimony of himself: 'I have played the fool'.

The god that Oyinlola gathered the likes of IBB, OBJ, Gbenga Daniel, Ayo Fayose, all discredited politicians in their respective rights to the palatial home he built with illegal wealth acquired through an illegal tenure, to thank, is definitely not the Almighty God. It must be the Nigerian god of Mammon before which every politician bows. The Almighty God is not a Nigerian Politician.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/terver-atsar/god-must-be-a-nigerian.html
Re: 'god' Must Be A Nigerian by Blazay(m): 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2010
Yup.
In his own image and likeness.
No problem at all.
Re: 'god' Must Be A Nigerian by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 06, 2010
Blasphemy. God is the God of all flesh& not of Nigeria alone. Let the weed&seed grow together on the harvest day, the shall be separated
Re: 'god' Must Be A Nigerian by chosen04(f): 6:40pm On Dec 06, 2010
Is God really a interested in Nigeria? I have my doubts!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Odumegwu-ojukwu In Coma, May Be Flown Abroad ! / Cp Slaps Dpo Over Inadequate Security For Ddcms / Substandard Univs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.