Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,877 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War (28656 Views)

My Husband Suffered PTSD For Many Years After Fighting Civil War - Aisha Buhari / Why We Have No Regrets Fighting Civil War –Gowon / Throwback Photo Of Gowon And Ojukwu Reconciling 40 Years After End Of Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Racoon(m): 6:28pm On Jan 18, 2020
Former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, has said his administration had no regret going into the Biafra war because it was necessary to keep Nigeria one.

The ex-military dictator said this in a special interview he granted the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation, as part of activities marking the 50th anniversary of the end of the Nigerian civil war, on Wednesday.

He said, “The war was fought to keep Nigeria one, not for other reasons as is being speculated in some quarters. It is because of this that we don’t have regrets about fighting the war.

“We fought because of our love for our country. That is why at the end of the war, we declared that there was no victor, no vanquished.”

The retired general, however, cautioned those he said were trying to turn back the hands of time with their conduct and utterances to desist from doing so in order to prevent a descent into chaos.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/why-we-have-no-regrets-fighting-civil-war-gowon/amp/

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Racoon(m): 6:46pm On Jan 18, 2020
Perhaps Gen.Yakubu Chinwa Gowon is still having Deja vu or Stockholm Syndrome.So lets repaint the picture for you again sir.
-The core northern blood & power thirsty elements used you as their stooge to hold unto power in the 1966 Nigeria only to consolidate their griphold & shove you aside on 29th July 1975.

-Despite fighting the civil war to force the eastern region back into the Nigerian state even with the progrom and marginalisation up till date, the bastardization of the Nigeria state by these same clique as before the pre-1966 era have only gone from bad to worst.

-The middle belt have remained a slaughter ground with senseless bloodshed & killings, heavy militarization, and ethno-religious & supremacist cleansing.Lt.Gen.TY Danjuma(Rtd) have said enough in that regard.

203 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by itsme01: 7:03pm On Jan 18, 2020
cool

Gowon please tell them

Let them blame Nzeogwu he could have chosen a bloodless coup, but he killed many innocent leader from north and south, he threw Tafa Balewa's corpse on Lagos Ibadan Express Way like a goat and blame Ojukwu for there woes for arming kid soldiers and fighting without basic supplies like food leading to millions dying due to starvation

Around 4am on Friday, however, the telephone rang in my house I picked it up. Alhaji Isa kaita, the Minister for Education was on the line; he wanted to let me know, he said, there had been a coup against the government. The Sardauna’s house had been attacked by soldiers and all important official had gone

I got ready and said my dawn prayer, later I went out. I found the residence of the premier completely destroyed. It had been shelled and burnt, strings of smoke were still raising into the air from some sections. I looked for certain familiar scenes around but all were now a sorrowful sight. There was destruction everywhere. A few soldiers stood idly with weapons in their hands. All was quiet. I walked into the house silently and found the body of Sardauna lying on the ground the courtyard. He had been shot a number of times.
I arranged for the body to be taken to the house of the Sultan in Kaduna which was a short distance away. His wife, Hafsah, who was killed together with him, was also taken to the Sultan’s house.

It became established that in the midnight attack on the Premier’s residence many others had been killed….During the week the Prime Minister (Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa) was found dead in the outskirts of Lagos…..others killed included Brigadier Zakariya Maimalari, Colnel Kur Muhammad, Lt-Colonel Abogo Largema, Lt-Colonel Yakubu Pam. Similarly, the Premier of the Western Nigeria Samuel Ladoke Akintola, the Minister of Finance, the Commander of the 1s t Brigade, Kaduna all lost their lives.

Gradually, more details about the military coup became public and at the same time the real motives of the coup planners began to appear. It was immediately apparent that Igbo Christian officers were the leaders and all the killings followed a set pattern. Only the Muslims and those who were considered as their friends were assassinated. The Prime Minister (a Hausa-Fulani Muslim) was killed, but the President (an Igbo Christian) was skillfully sent out of the country. His farewell words to the Prime Minister, as I heard later, were, ‘I see you on 15 January.’

Pictures of the dead Sardauna against the background of his burning house were immediately put on display, along with those of Nzeogwu giving the heroic account of how he broke into the house and shot him, amidst the wailings of the women and children. These pictures were used by many Igbo leaders and traders and elsewhere in the North to taunt the local people, as evidence that the Sardauna was dead and the North had been defeated. Suddenly, the massacres of the Muslim leaders and politicians was turned into a revolution, with the most glowing tributes being showered on the assassins

42 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by helinues: 7:09pm On Jan 18, 2020
Load am again Sir Gowon.

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 18, 2020
Gowon, does he has any political value again, useless man, big for nothing, pig!

92 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by hammerF: 7:15pm On Jan 18, 2020
Racoon:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/why-we-have-no-regrets-fighting-civil-war-gowon/amp/
Lalasticlala

GOWON MAKES NO SENSE.

PEOPLE LIKE GOWON DESERVE TO BE TIED UP AND SHOT DEAD.

U HAVE TO GO TO WAR TO FORCE A NON-EXISTENT UNITY AT THE COST OF 3 MILLION LIVES.

WITH THE STATE OF NIGERIA TODAY, IS IT JUSTIFIED?

157 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by gidgiddy: 8:13pm On Jan 18, 2020
hammerF:

GOWON MAKES NO SENSE.

PEOPLE LIKE GOWON DESERVE TO BE TIED UP AND SHOT DEAD.

U HAVE TO GO TO WAR TO FORCE A NON-EXISTENT UNITY AT THE COST OF 3 MILLION LIVES.

WITH THE STATE OF NIGERIA TODAY IS IT JUSTIFIED?

The man is an old fool. What sort of unity is worth 3 million lives?

Im just happy that Gowon lived long enough to see the Nigeria he was fighting to keep together become a complete disaster

185 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 18, 2020
itsme01:
cool

Gowon please tell them

Let them blame Nzeogwu he could have chosen a bloodless coup, but he killed many innocent leader from north and south, he try Tafa Balewa's corpse on Lagos Ibadan Express Way like a goat and Ojukwu for there woes

But why did Gowon bury Nzeogwu with military honors?

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by saaron(m): 8:29pm On Jan 18, 2020
Only a rotten country like Nigeria you will see war criminals like Gowon living like kings granting interviews. People like him should have been arrested, tried/prosecuted in the Hague and executed for crimes against humanity long ago.
The fact, that he's still walking free is a pointer to the fact that Nigeria as a country does not value human life. Nigeria is one of the few rotten countries where murderers are celebrated and rewarded.
It's for this reason no single fulani terrorist have been prosecuted for genocide across the country till date.

121 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by itsme01: 8:29pm On Jan 18, 2020
LordVoldermort:
But why did Gowon bury Nzeogwu with military honors?

After what he saw in the Biafra Army after Ojuckwu released him from the luxury prison, he was rumoured to help the other side with Intels .. he felt his people where not prepared for war, kids and untrained people were armed all his attempt to reach out to Ojuckwu to persuade him proved abortive as Ojuckwu spared no time in killing anyone against his ideas

So its only right Nigerian Army took his body back for a proper cerimonial burial as he grew up in the North and was close to them

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Dedetwo(m): 8:29pm On Jan 18, 2020
Racoon:

Former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, has said his administration had no regret going into the Biafra war because it was necessary to keep Nigeria one.

The ex-military dictator said this in a special interview he granted the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation, as part of activities marking the 50th anniversary of the end of the Nigerian civil war, on Wednesday.

He said, “The war was fought to keep Nigeria one, not for other reasons as is being speculated in some quarters. It is because of this that we don’t have regrets about fighting the war.

“We fought because of our love for our country. That is why at the end of the war, we declared that there was no victor, no vanquished.”

The retired general, however, cautioned those he said were trying to turn back the hands of time with their conduct and utterances to desist from doing so in order to prevent a descent into chaos.

Lalasticlala

I had to listen to this jackass on the required necessities to keep Nigeria one. Did the war achieve the oneness of Nigeria? Instead the war has continued to create strains of demarcation in the country. Nigeria is less united today than it was in 1966.

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 18, 2020
itsme01:

After what he saw in the Biafra Army after Ojuckwu released him from the luxury prison, he was rumoured to help the other side with Intels .. he felt his people where not prepared for war, kids and untrained people were armed all his attempt to reach out to Ojuckwu to persuade him proved abortive as Ojuckwu spared no time in killing anyone against his ideas

So its only right Nigerian Army took his body back for a proper cerimonial burial as he grew up in the North and was close to them

No your not getting the question, the very man who killed Ahmadu Bello who began the whole thing was buried in Kaduna by the 'Revenge Plotters'

And the people who killed Igbos in the north honoured the one man who caused everything undecided

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by mrvitalis(m): 8:48pm On Jan 18, 2020
This is why I don't pity northern Christian
See the other idiot Anthony sani saying rubbish the other day

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Kingspin(m): 8:50pm On Jan 18, 2020
We don't expect you to show us how you regret.

Just take a look at Nigeria from 1950 till date.

I stopped here.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Topmaike007(m): 8:50pm On Jan 18, 2020
Useless man, I blame you? I know blame you na great Awolowo I blame..

Now south west eye don open with this AMOTEKUN thing

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:51pm On Jan 18, 2020
We fought because of our love for our country. That is why at the end of the war, we declared that THERE WAS NO VICTOR, NO VANQUISHED.

We are going to forever remember these GOLDEN WORDS on marble.
It was just like yesterday that we heard those words from General Yakubu Gowon on Radio Nigeria all over the nation.

THERE WAS NO VICTOR, NO VANQUISHED

In One Nigeria we believe.
God bless Nigeria.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by vincentjk(m): 8:51pm On Jan 18, 2020
Pay respect to the dead

Meanwhile a Yoruba man told me this evening that they're just pulling their master's legs by all these amotekun stunts to gain their freedom back, please is this true

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by spafu(m): 8:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
I sincerely wished Gowon had not been over zealous in helping the North achieve its grip on this nation by holding on to other regions. I see no reason why we can't have six country out of this present sh_thole, where a president who cannot to be effective as a WhatsApp admin is busy messing this country up. The rate of hardship is increasing on a daily basis. Look at what has become of our electricity situation, he has completely eroded the gains made by the past administrator, which the present administration was claiming to be body language, because they knew they had contributed nothing.
Well, let me concern myself with what matters most to me - Taking Care of My Family. Nairalanders, kindly help my hustling by clicking my signature.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by visijo(m): 8:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
Yuo konw waht is Rael Reltionship?
I m gving yuo an exmpl : Jsut c tihs msg. Evrey splleing of tihs msg is wrnog. Bt sitll yuo can raed it wihtuot ayn mistake. if u wnat true Raleti0nship; jsut ignoer mistaeks of others.. and understand them...!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Temptee101(m): 8:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
shocked

Mumu gowon, useless talk

How has Nigeria faired ever since then? Was the unity achieved?

Are we more united now or divided like never before? This mumu is just trying to save face, I know deep down he regrets it

This man should be ashamed of himself, the call for secession is louder now than ever before

Spits

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by mytime24(f): 8:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
As non of ur Family member die na embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by SoNature(m): 8:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
"The war was fought to keep Nigeria one"

What good has keeping Nigeria one brought to ordinary Nigerians?

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by ugochukwufrenzy: 8:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
and what benefits has dat civil war brought

8 Likes

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by GeneralPula: 8:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
Stupid people everywhere!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Authoreety: 8:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
Stupid man

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by toxxnoni(m): 8:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by naijaguy123456(m): 8:54pm On Jan 18, 2020
Nigeria doesn’t need that civil war but greedy Ojukwu mislead his people into a war they can never win .

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by DMerciful(m): 8:54pm On Jan 18, 2020
Bokoharam, Bandits, Herdsmen killings is the retribution for the 1966 pogrom against Easterners! After the appropriate retribution there will be atonement! Pogrom killed 30,000 Easterners, how many has BH, Herdsmen, Bandits killed?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon: No Regrets Fighting Civil War by Amanda4life: 8:54pm On Jan 18, 2020
Don't mind him.

He is just saying the opposite.

In his,mind he is regretting uncountable times

22 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar Wishes Peter Obi A Happy 61st Birthday / Musa Ayeni: I Will Defeat Jonathan And Buhari- APA Presidential Candidate / Mobolaji Johnson's Wife, Funmi Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.