Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Where Are The Hausas? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Are The Hausas? (9010 Views)

Femi Fani-kayode: The Yorubas Can Never Support The Igbos Against The Hausas / Ban on Bureau De Change: Is Buhari Fighting The Hausas? / Adaka Boro: Vindicating The Hausas And Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 20, 2020
What is the situation with the hausas in the north? Are they now a conquered tribe?, A silent one? Or just ruthlessly oppressed by the fulani?

Growing up, I was taught in school that the major tribes in Nigeria are the yoruba, igbo and hausa. But after a while the term hausa/fulani started to pop up everywhere on the media and now it's just fulani with very little mention of hausa in any important national discussion.

My understanding is that the hausas still vastly outnumber the fulani in the north but are there still hausas in any significant position of power in there? If so, who are they?

I don't know too much about this topic, never travelled past Abuja while I was in naija and can't find enough resources on the internet.

Your inputs will be very much appreciated

Edit: special shout out to @DennisEche for bringing this to my attention. A chronicle of 'Fulani conquest and rule of the hausa'. I'm not even done reading yet but so far it has been an interesting & enlightening read

Here - https://www.persee.fr/doc/jafr_0037-9166_1963_num_33_2_1370 for anyone interested

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by anayisi1(m): 1:03pm On Jan 20, 2020
If you ask me...na who i go ask?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by mrvitalis(m): 1:05pm On Jan 20, 2020
That's what would happen to any tribe that give Fulani the chance

59 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Blackking98(m): 1:05pm On Jan 20, 2020
jayfolarin:
What is the situation with the hausas in the north? Are they now a conquered tribe?, A silent one? Or just ruthlessly oppressed by the fulani?

Growing up, I was taught in school that the major tribes in Nigeria are the yoruba, igbo and hausa. But after a while the term hausa/fulani started to pop up everywhere on the media and now it's just fulani with very little mention of hausa in any important national discussion.

My understanding is that the hausas still vastly outnumber the fulani in the north but are there still hausas in any significant position of power in there or has the fulani taken over every power structure there is. If so, who are this hausas?

I don't know too much about this topic, never travelled past Abuja while I was in naija and can't find enough resources on the internet.

Yes they are a conquered people who have developed Stockholm syndrome with their conquerors. It's quite sad. No single Emir in the north is hausa, all are fulanis .

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 20, 2020
Blackking98:

Yes they are a conquered people who have developed Stockholm syndrome with their conquerors. It's quite sad. No single Emir in the north is hausa, all are fulanis .

Incredible! How did this even happen? What subjugation tools were employed by the fulanis? Do you have any resources I can read up on? This is a topic that interests me greatly.

Thanks

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by TooMuchStuff: 1:11pm On Jan 20, 2020
cool
If the Hausas could be so conquered to irrelevance in Nigeria politics without attachment to Fulanis invaders n what makes the Southern ethnic groups an exemption??

Amotekuns to the Rescue,
Amotekun is the here to stay for good.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 20, 2020
The only thing Hausa people can boast of is their language which the fulanis adopted to penetrate into their land.

They are indeed a conquered territory.

I don't pity them at all.
They are busy chanting Allah akbur while the fulanis were busy taking over strategic spots that's meant for them
School, they refused to go to, fulanis have been flogging them mercilessly in the north and they can't say pim.
The smallest minority tribe in the south is stronger than those idiats.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by crestedaguiyi: 1:19pm On Jan 20, 2020
what of the emir of Lagos, is he Yoruba?

Thank Your stars for Amotekun, they would have started killing your obas and clerics one by one

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by babasolution: 1:24pm On Jan 20, 2020
dangote is ethnic hausa, abdulsalman rabiu is ethnic hausa,most of the wealthy men in the north i think are ethnic hausas,the hausas i think are more interested in business than politics.Though majority of them are poor and conquered.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by ebujany(m): 1:26pm On Jan 20, 2020
Interesting topic

3 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Dedetwo(m): 1:36pm On Jan 20, 2020
jayfolarin:

My understanding is that the hausas still vastly outnumber the fulani in the north but are there still hausas in any significant position of power in there? If so, who are they?

In your post, you have touched two issues of mention. The Hausa are conquered ethnic group. When people are ruled by a stranger, in this case an Emir, it is indeed the subjects of Emir are conquered. As for the phrase, Hausa/Fulani, it marked the start of foolery in Nigerian society triggered by Nigeria/Biafra war. Fulani is extremely small in population. However the members of the ethnicity found themselves in the corridor of power due to the shift in balance of rule by Nigeria/Biafra war. In order to make Fulani significantly visible, it became apparently paradoxical to align Fulani with the docile larger ethnic group hence the nonsensical Fulani/Hausa phrase.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by kayusely70(m): 1:59pm On Jan 20, 2020
The Hausas Have Been Subjugated And Have Lost Their Identity

10 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jan 20, 2020
babasolution:
dangote is ethnic hausa, abdulsalman rabiu is ethnic hausa,most of the wealthy men in the north i think are ethnic hausas,the hausas i think are more interested in business than politics.Though majority of them are poor and conquered.

I would expect the business success to be the case considering its literally the hausa's land and home. It's just baffling that despite the huge population disparity, the fulani has managed to control power completely in the north and through them, Nigeria.

I think focus should be shifted back to this issue. As i sincerely believe that the one way to clip the fulani wings and their conquest escapades towards other region in Nigeria is to go back to the beginning and put the hausa man back in charge of his immediate society.

The huge population of the hausas mean that fulani controlling them hold a key voting population in Nigeria. This is something that shouldn't have been allowed to happen and can still be corrected with the right tools.

If anyone has resources I can read up about hausa's subjugation by the fulani, please send me a link. Thanks

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by babasolution: 2:10pm On Jan 20, 2020
jayfolarin:

I would expect this to be the case. It's just baffling that despite the huge population disparity, the fulani has managed to control power completely in the north and through them, Nigeria.

I think focus should be shifted back to this issue. As i sincerely believe that the one way to clip the fulani wings and their conquest escapades towards other region in Nigeria is to go back to the beginning and put the hausa man back in charge of their society.

The huge population of the hausas mean that fulani controlling them hold a key voting population in Nigeria. This is something that shouldn't have been allowed to happen and can still be corrected with the right tools.

I think the hausas are comfortable with the situation,the fulani control the politics while they control business,most of the hausas in my view share the same ideology with the fulani,i think if they didnt they would have since overthrown the fulani.

9 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jan 20, 2020
babasolution:

I think the hausas are comfortable with the situation,the fulani control the politics while they control business,most of the hausas in my view share the same ideology with the fulani,i think if they didnt they would have since overthrown the fulani.

This is exactly what I would like to know. Are they truly in bed with the fulani? Or have they been completely oppressed into silence with violence or threat of? Is this a religion brainwashing thing? Or is this all mutual between both parties?

I have a feeling, following the pattern of violence with which the fulani incurses into other regions that fulani's power in the north isn't exactly mutual.

8 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by shariff84: 2:24pm On Jan 20, 2020
We hausas,we see ourselves with Fulani as the same,we mostly don't care about what Fulani has become in Hausa.In a nutshell,we see ourselves as brothers just as the way Yoruba Muslims and Christians are.let me tell you one thing that you don't know,in the north we value religion more than anything. Onces you are muslem then we see yourself the same.in the north we have a lot of tribe not only Hausa Fulani almost about 100 tribe but we mostly spoke Hausa as our general language.Also, among this 100tribe onces you are muslem then we see ourselves one!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 20, 2020
I would like only one tribe to conquer and occupy the entire Nigeria and even west Africa. we need only one tribe ,not 300 . Hausa/Fulani has the best potential and Fulani has already conquered everything in the northern part of west Africa from Senegal to Central African republic. now the focus should be on the south.
Re: Where Are The Hausas? by famouscargo4u: 2:32pm On Jan 20, 2020
The fulani people are minority in this country but they occupy high position. I stayed in the north and I saw large towns with huge Hausa population being headed by a Fulani. I saw a large Christian town being headed by a Fulani Jauro. Give Fulani an inch and they would go 10 miles. Once beaten twice shy. The Yoruba people have discovered this and won't take it lightly any longer.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by babasolution: 2:37pm On Jan 20, 2020
Grogott3:
I would like only one tribe to conquer and occupy the entire Nigeria and even west Africa. we need only one tribe ,not 300 . Hausa/Fulani has the best potential and Fulani has already conquered everything in the northern part of west Africa from Senegal to Central African republic. now the focus should be on the south.

you are wrong,the fulanis have largely been driven out of central African republic,every other area were they are in the northern west africa is poor and a war zone,the fulani cannot build any successful state,besides they will be soundly crushed if they want to move down south.they were only successful in some areas of northern west africa because the indigenous peoples accomodated them and invited them into their royal houses.Fulani conquer mostly through coups and not direct wars.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by TooMuchStuff: 2:39pm On Jan 20, 2020
Grogott3:
Keep dreaming my G. It's free of charge.

Amotekuns are waiting for you in the South.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by babasolution: 2:40pm On Jan 20, 2020
shariff84:
We hausas,we see ourselves with Fulani as the same,we mostly don't care about what Fulani has become in Hausa.In a nutshell,we see ourselves as brothers just as the way Yoruba Muslims and Christians are.let me tell you one thing that you don't know,in the north we value religion more than anything. Onces you are muslem then we see yourself the same.in the north we have a lot of tribe not only Hausa Fulani almost about 100 tribe but we mostly spoke Hausa as our general language.Also, among this 100tribe onces you are muslem then we see ourselves one!

but why is it that the fulani are mostly the ones in power in the north?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Tomide007: 2:42pm On Jan 20, 2020
The funniest thing is that no Hausa man has ever been Nigerian president ....they're either Fulani , or from those small tribes in the north like IBB or Gowon... I think its lack of education that's suppressing them...An average Hausa man is nice but you see those once who's name start with F..nah wa..

3 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by StaffofOrayan(m): 2:44pm On Jan 20, 2020
This is very very interesting.
The Fulanis have never changed their mode of conquest, they use Islam as a tool to deceive people to betray themselves

If you are smart you would see the whole hijab issue is to raise an army of sympathetic muslims that would unknowingly be defending fulani in the guise of fighting for islam

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by aumeehn: 2:56pm On Jan 20, 2020
jayfolarin:

I would expect the business success to be the case considering its literally the hausa's land and home. It's just baffling that despite the huge population disparity, the fulani has managed to control power completely in the north and through them, Nigeria.

I think focus should be shifted back to this issue. As i sincerely believe that the one way to clip the fulani wings and their conquest escapades towards other region in Nigeria is to go back to the beginning and put the hausa man back in charge of his immediate society.

If anyone has resources I can read up about hausa's subjugation by the fulani, please send me a link. Thanks
Mo Allah Valli walla Komoi ha Duniyaru do Lanan. Alhamdullilah.
Re: Where Are The Hausas? by shariff84: 2:57pm On Jan 20, 2020
babasolution:

but why is it that the fulani are mostly the ones in power in the north?
they are in power since before amalgamation of Nigeria,they got their power during uthman Dan fodio jihad.almost all the Hausa emirs are Fulani.during jihad if they overthrow the community leader,they will replaced him the most knowledge Fulani man.

6 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by shariff84: 3:02pm On Jan 20, 2020
Tomide007:
The funniest thing is that no Hausa man has ever been Nigerian president ....they're either Fulani , or from those small tribes in the north like IBB or Gowon... I think its lack of education that's suppressing them...An average Hausa man is nice but you see those once who's name start with F..nah wa..
what's is the funniest in it after all we see ourselves as one and we don't bother at all.why taking panadol for another man's headache?. Abacha is not a Fulani man, babangida is not Fulani man,likewise abdulsalam

4 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by aumeehn: 3:03pm On Jan 20, 2020
shariff84:
they are in power since before amalgamation of Nigeria,they got their power during uthman Dan fodio jihad.almost all the Hausa emirs are Fulani.during jihad if they overthrow the community leader,they will replaced him the most knowledge Fulani man.
ka Fita Harkansu, Masifa kawai suke nema.

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 20, 2020
aumeehn:
Mo Allah Valli walla Komoi ha Duniyaru do Lanan. Alhamdullilah.

What??

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by obailala(m): 3:05pm On Jan 20, 2020
shariff84:
If you as an Hausa person sees yourselves as the same with Fulanis, do you really think the Fulanis see you as an equal with them?

If the Fulanis see Hausas as equals, how exactly is it that the majority of the leaders in the north, including political leaders, religious leaders, Sultans, Emirs, Imams etc are almost always Fulani? Are Hausas or persons of northern minority tribes not fit to be leaders?

I'm just curious since you say everyone up north sees themselves as equal.

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 20, 2020
shariff84:

You see the Fulanis as brothers but they see you as subjects.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Osaze007: 3:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
What are the indigenous Hausa names
Re: Where Are The Hausas? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 20, 2020
Osaze007:
What are the indigenous Hausa names

Tbh I do not know and I think that lack of knowledge is intentional. Almost like there are people working to blurr the lines between fulani and hausas in a bid eradicate the identity of the hausa man.

At this point very little is known about the hausas beyond the shores of the north and I believe this is all by design.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

#TambuwalAt56: Aminu Tambuwal 'Silent Achiever' Celebrates His 56th Birthday / The Correct History Of Edo? / Hon. Raji Fashola Spotted Behind The Wheels Of His Range Rover, Stuck In Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.