Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,870 members, 7,855,561 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 04:39 AM

Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US (483 Views)

Peter Obi Holds Thank You Session With Obidients In New Jersey, US (Pictures) / Uruemu Adejinmi Elected As Mayor In Ireland (First Black African Woman) / Ernest Ezeajughi Elected As Deputy Mayor Of Brent, UK (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US by igbobabe02: 8:43pm On Jan 25, 2020
The Nigerian has been a member of the council when he was first elected in 2016

- Onyejiaka was elected alongside other people like Kimberly Francois, Crystal Pruitt, and Sivaraman Anbarasan

Another Nigerian, Charles Onyejiaka, made history on the international scene on Monday, January 6, as he was made the first-ever West African to be voted as the deputy mayor of Franklin Township, Somerset County, New Jersey, United States.

It should be noted that the Nigerian has been a member of the council for four years, since 2016 when was first elected, Global Patriot News reports.

The reconstitution of the council also witnessed the swearing-in of Kramer and other members as Kimberly Francois, Crystal Pruitt, and Sivaraman Anbarasan.

The elected officials spoke about how they would help the township in various ways as Anbarasan said that he would work on strategies that would boost general economies like taxes and business development, among others.

“Our town is one of the most diverse towns in the state. I plan to start a scholarship to promote and support the underrepresented in public service, especially public safety. This is a lofty goal, but with your help, it can be achieved.

“I promise to put the people first and build on the successes that this council has built for us. I will govern with transparency and integrity with our strategies to forge this township forward,” he said.

Craig Coughlin, assembly speaker, said it is a great honour to have sworn in some of the newly elected members as he commended how the council is a good example for all.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

“Franklin is a large, important community, but I think I think more importantly is, it’s a model of what a municipal government ought to be.

“The work that this mayor and this council has done in stabilizing taxes, in being diverse, in finding new and better ways to serve their citizens year after year after year is really something we ought to try to emulate throughout the entire state of New Jersey,” he said.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that Obi Ugochukwu has joined that wonderful set of Nigerians making the country proud as he was reportedly elevated to the status of a commander in the American Navy.

https://www.legit.ng/1291839-charles-onyejiaka-nigerian-american-history-1st-wafrican-voted-deputy-mayor-franklin-new-jersey.html

Re: Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US by slivertongue: 9:06pm On Jan 25, 2020
goodnews for a serious country, not like the shithole called Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US by kayfra: 9:07pm On Jan 25, 2020
Every African American is a West African by extension. He is not the first grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US by bubu2019: 9:36pm On Jan 25, 2020
ipob doing Nigeria proud everywhere
#igboamaka#

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US by PicLtd: 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2020
New jersey has more Igbo population than other Africans and state is a very organized one.

Kudos to the Nwafor.

I was thinking it was my maternal uncle when I saw the surname. He himself is also doing well in the USA as doctor, he was a Biafran veteran who left the country immediately after the war.

He still loves Biafra to death, if anybody tells you that Igbo diasporans doing very well are not pro-Biafrans. Tell them it is a lie. There is no group of people more staunchly Biafran than Igbos in diaspora from my observation.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US by Smoke55: 10:00pm On Jan 25, 2020
Please before i start reading the main post can sombori just shout
==>>IGBO AMAKA!!!<<== for me here?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Onyejiaka Becomes 1st W'african Named Deputy Mayor In New Jersey, US by Earlystar698(m): 10:03pm On Jan 25, 2020
IgboAmaka.... Biafra Amaka Biafra to the world Igbo to the world IGBOS should come let's celebrate

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Edo Crisis; Ban On Political Rallies,obaseki Sued / BREAKING: Reps Adjourn Plenary For Fear Of Contracting Coronavirus / Sanusi Dethronement And Past Sins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.