Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,932 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult (63407 Views)

Sammie Okposo’s Wife, Ozioma Celebrates Him On Valentine’s Day / Sammie And Ozioma Okposo Vacation In Mexico (Photos, Video) / Kemi Olunloyo Is Offering Naira Marley The Clermont Twins, Shannon And Shannade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by BrinaLanbros: 9:44am On Jan 27, 2020
Dear Prof. Ozioma Onuzuike,

I am truly proud of you. Your write-up depicts your research skills and intense research background. While reading your post, I was looking out for grammatical errors which is a cankerworm in today's writings especially, amongst the youths. To say that I am impressed is an understatement.

I read your post as well as the comments that follow from our today's youths. The devil has a way of engraving its marks on our youths to descend so low as to disrespect intelligent posts like yours and even find ways to defend their wrongdoings. Please be informed that the comments only show the statistics of 1% or less number of people that read the post. Most (like me) have been impacted with the message and have taken it to the bank. Most intellectuals do not comment on public fora like this to avoid being called names but the message from your post is being assimilated by them.

I see some people calling you Marlian because you know Naira Marley's lyrics more than their average Marlian. Let me ask, "do they expect you to put up this post from an uninformed point of view?", "do they understand what it means to research a topic before developing it?". These are youths that do not know the difference between "am" and "I'm"; meanwhile, they hide behind keyboards to bastardize brilliant posts like this. No wonder our standard of education keeps decreasing, no just because of sub-standard teachers but the inability of our children and youths to avail themselves with the opportunities inherent in education and soar high. Rather, they hope for cheap and quick money.

Prof. Ozioma, thank you for enlightening us. I; for one, am not a fan of Naira Marley and his likes but seem to only nod my head at the beatings of their music without bothering myself with the lyrics. Thank you for baring our minds on the dangers these songs pose to our children and youths at the micro level and to the society at the macro level. Thank you once again.

Warm regards,
Edith.

7 Likes

Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by Consistent1: 9:46am On Jan 27, 2020
This man took out his time to elaborate on how the singer is the country’s problem meanwhile there’s a lot of decay in his immediate environment which I’m afraid he won’t pay as much attention to.
This right here is one of the country’s main issues. People overlook things that actually need attention to face things that’ll get them attention.

1 Like

Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by truthseen: 9:50am On Jan 27, 2020
kingui:
UNN Youngest Professor, Ozioma Onuzulike Writes About The Marlians Cult

*The Deadly Virus Called Naira Marley*

By Ozioma Onuzulike

“Quarter pass, you still want to get high/After one original tramadol extra…/ I want to wake up inside money… /Yeah, come! Am I guilty?/ I am smart and I am making money… /Am I a yahoo boy? No evidence…”

Taken from “Mafo” (2019), these lines easily spotlight the hot lure of our youth towards Naira Marley’s world of reckless lifestyle. Azeez Fashola took up the stage name “Naira Marley” in admiration of Bob Marley, the late reggae musician. Like Bob Marley, he wears dreadlocks and is a notorious smoker and promoter of cannabis (Indian hemp or Igbo). He is the latest deadly virus in town, creating a cult followership among the youth who are called Marlians.

Like an evil genius, Azeez Fashola easily sells the Marlian brand to his admirers by blowing their heads with customised volleys of “Marlians! Marlians! Marlians!...” Many adults have also swallowed the bait. One of them recently thumbed up Azeez Fashola’s photograph on the social media, gleefully declaring: “This is the Marlian Prince”. He proceeded to enlist as one of Naira Marley’s spin doctors, blatantly lying that Naira Marley “studied uptil (sic) Masters level in the UK and holds a degree with distinction in Business Law”. Is he correct? Has Azeez Fashola attended any degree-awarding school? Naira Marley’s last school was a Sixth Form college (Crossways College) at which point he left off formal education because, according to his own confession to the EFCC, “I had kids at that time, so I took a break and started making music till date”. But his spin doctor told ‘white’ lies in his spirited effort to convince his audience that Naira Marley is, according to him, “a successful young man, living an interesting life”. And why not? Naira Marley, born only on 9th May 1994, is married to two wives and has four kids!

Concerned parents should discountenance Naira Marley’s spin doctors on social media who are dutifully reading his recent Wikipedia entry upside down to the extent of expressly awarding him a master’s degree in an unknown field of study. They are working hard to dispel fears that real Marlians do not become school drop outs even when they are “mannerless” and smoke weed like their Prince, change women like clothes and immerse themselves in the quest for easy money that are spent on alcohol and sex – vices that constitute the selling points of their Prince’s music videos.

As a parent, take out some time to understand the lyrics of Naira Marley’s latest hit song “Soapy”, which he released after his recent “visit” to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). Watch Naira Marley himself or members of his growing gang do the “Soapy Dance”. You will be surprised to witness how audacious Naira Marley has grown in injecting deadly viruses into the brains of our youth.

Before now, you may have seen people dancing lewd dances with their vibrating buttocks and changing gear sometimes to make gestures that are suggestive of the sexual act itself. But you have seen nothing yet. In his so-called “Soapy Dance”, Naira Marley has got those vulgar dance moves “improved” by his introduction of a very explicit sexual gesture that has extended the deadly reach of today’s insanity. Beginning with the song’s title, “Soapy”, he makes no pretensions about his glamorisation and promotion of masturbation. In doing this so-called “Soapy Dance”, the right or left hand is held in front of one’s groin in a way that visually suggests it is holding up a man’s charged “thing”. A rhythmic glide of the folded hand is sustained at work while the dancer seductively moves his or her groin in an aggressively suggestive way.

That is not all. It is even more perplexing and vexing to encounter Naira Marley’s deliberate injection of real or simulated voices of children into the “Soapy” choruses in ways that easily sway unsuspecting kids to sing along with him. What good does a practical lesson on masturbation do to your children? He even ends the song, most enchantingly, by cautioning on the wrong kind of soap to masturbate with. Your children innocuously sing with him, oblivious of the song’s poisonous flow that gradually finds its way into their vulnerable brain. Naira Marley’s “Soapy Dance” is sugar-coated poison! Like a delicious candy, your children nod their heads to its sweetness at first, but, if care is not taken, they are bound to be silently and gradually destroyed by the candy’s deadly core!

You may also examine Naira Marley’s “PXTA”, his music video featuring a large crowd of shameless young men and women dancing with bare bottoms and even copulating like dogs. You will find a set of pregnant girls dressed in what looks like secondary school pinafore uniforms and who suddenly turn to dance the “ass dance”. In this video, Naira Marley unambiguously defines the qualifications for admittance of young, impressionable minds into the Marlian “gang” (to use his own expression!). In the song’s introduction, you hear Naira Marley say “Hey control the crowd, control the crowd/ Marlians come forward, the rest Bleep off…” Well dressed young men are refused admission into the dance arena as Naira Marley intones, “If herb is not getting you high, just play Naira Marley song and you will scatter/We, the mannerless ones; zero belt, a thousand trousers”. The young men pull out their belts and stagger into the arena to join Naira Marley whose own ‘belt-less’ trouser hangs below his ass as he continues singing “Do you know MD?/ That means you should dance Marlian Dance/Can you see NBG?/ Don’t bother saying too much; it is we, the no belt gang!”

From my interactions with students of my university, “Zero belt, a thousand trousers” has become a very catchy line for them. So, to be a real Marlian, you have to dress without a belt and your trousers would have to hang down your ass, exposing your inner wear like that of Naira Marley. Why? “We, no manners” is the creed! After all, “U Bad-Oh!”

If you are patient to search out the English translation of Naira Marley’s “Opotoyi”, you will confirm that he has NOTHING good to offer your children. In this, he sings: “Marlians (7x)/Lift Your Legs (6x)/ Marlians (7x)/MD, MD, MD, this MD is Bad-Oh!/… South Africa owns this bottom mehn/Look at that bottom, they travelled to mould that bottom./So It's as big as this/You covered it up with clothes/It's as big as this…” He continues to sing about big bottoms. Suddenly, he adds “…Dance to my song, give me 5 minutes like indomie/ She's looking at me, seems she wants to bang me/ Give me my thing, man, give me my weed”. He glamorises illicit sex and Indian hemp. He then goes even more vicious: “I called my dealer, she sniffed, I had weed in my mouth, ganja!/She wants to kiss, baby girl can you kiss Tobi, Go down …/Small breast like tiger pussy/Sexy girl, let me lean on your chest”.

He is not done yet. In “Opotoyi”, Naira Marley tickles the fancy of your children towards MouthAction, raising their curiosity as he sings, “Just like sugar,… her pussy is as sweet as sugar… / Lick what you want, let them know we met wealth on earth/ So It's as big as this/ You covered it up with clothes…”. He continues with other lewd lines before the song comes to an end with hails of “Marlians! Marlians!...” And then, you wonder if Naira Marley is building your children for good or helping the devil to plant seeds of destruction in their impressionable minds. Or whether the devil himself has not cultured Naira Marley into a deadly virus.

Without doubt, what have characterised Naira Marley’s brand are illicit drugs, sex, alcohol and easy money. All of Naira Marley’s music lyrics and videos of 2019 that I have seen are never complete without the glamorisation of cannabis (Indian hemp), the female ass and alcohol. The glorification of internet fraud (yahoo-yahoo) is also his trademark. These are among deadly viruses that drive many young people away from their parents’ godly counsel and either destroy them completely or keep them disoriented.

Parents? Yes, I am referring to godly parents, those who are truly responsible and exemplary, not those who are probably worse than Naira Marley himself. One of Naira Marley’s strange fans among the university lecturers that I know has vehemently argued that Naira Marley is not the inventor of these vices and that they (these vices) will not end with him. Yes. There have always been these vices, no doubt. But the point is that Azeez Fashola (Naira Marley) is currently one of the most audacious promoters of them all. And responsible parents ought to be on their guard. They should be wary of the trending deadly virus of this time.

I urge all truly concerned parents to be on red alert, constantly guarding their children with the anti-virus of godly virtues. One of my own father’s efficacious anti-virus programmes is drawn from God’s word in Proverbs chapter 1, especially verse 10. I can confidently recommend that - “My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not!”

*Ozioma Onuzulike is a Professor of Ceramic Art and African Art History at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.*

A church -cult leader writing about a music cult grin. Somebody should please ask the writer why he heads an aberrational cultic anti-christ group in UNN. Does he want the Marlians Cult people to join his own cult? Is he a Christian or what faith does he actually practice? Why is his cult-church always condemning secular churches? Why does the man's cult not affiliate itself with the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) or the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) or even register with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)? Certainly, the Marlian Cult is represents a bad influence on our youth and should be checked by government. However, the man Ozioma, is the least qualified person to admonish people about them, there is a hidden agenda he has by writing about this popular issue, being himself the leader of a illegal, legalistic and anti-christ, church -cult, condemned by all discerning Pastors in Nsukka, Enugu and environs
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by ellizy(m): 9:50am On Jan 27, 2020
Prof, write a book to the chambers where the country wealth is been mismanaged, we deserve better life as Nigerians than the life we living...

Don’t condemn the Young man making his money the way he understands it...
Sikena
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by Ishilove: 9:54am On Jan 27, 2020
I am amazed how many of the readers discarded the message and attacked the messenger.

What a rotten generation.

2 Likes

Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by lathrowinger: 10:05am On Jan 27, 2020
Onlinealaba:

Kindly whatsapp me sir..thanks
Zerosevenzero, three zero seven two fiveeightsixnine
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by shogsman(m): 10:06am On Jan 27, 2020
aminusodiq:
If Uve listend to saint janet, patapaa, damoche, xxxtension, cardiac/Nicki, olamide, terry G, nd all... U a bloddy hypocrite grin youth wey don condemn alredy grin
Is it foolery or plain ignorance or baked intellectual incapacity, I don't know why Nigerian youths makes a joke out of educative topics, and don't reply me with the looses up,life is hard chants,y'all should start committing to intelligence, where is the drive to learn something new.
Our society is demeaning.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by Theomarvelus(m): 10:09am On Jan 27, 2020
professor, pls take time and listen to cardi b lyrics and confirm its not starting from naira Marley, or check our own tiwa savage who almost go bare naked on stage, nothing to say about them right, or is it not clear to understand, professor leave naira Marley alone, he is using what he has to get what he want, mind your own business
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by Solomon8144: 10:25am On Jan 27, 2020
Onlinealaba:

No sir
What's the price range? 32 inches precisely
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by AmazingELixir: 10:27am On Jan 27, 2020
One look at the comments from the first page shows what disaster we have as youths in the country today...

God help the youths of this country

1 Like

Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by StaffofOrayan(m): 10:33am On Jan 27, 2020
Do they listen to Naira marley in the North?
Yet Northern youths are so lost, it's not even funny. I doubt there are more drug users in a single place than in the North

zoghys:

On the contrary you should be the one to go for brain check. The stupid naira Marley that you shamelessly promote has been nothing but nuisance to the already common sense "less" youth who glorifies all the vices the erudite professor adequately postulated. Yes, the problem did not start with this no brain loser tagged marlian prince, but he is an apostle of immorality with a new dimension and finesse. The dbanj and co you mentioned did with some measure of sensibility and respect for good, sonorous music. But that your thing called naira marlian is a curse, and if you are one of his marlian cult, in respective of your financia and social status, then you should go check your brain for leakages.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by odomanis: 10:40am On Jan 27, 2020
Kallmerb:
You look like a rejected marlian...Bible Says

Proverbs 22:6 KJV
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

It's Funny you think Naira Marley is the youth problem.. People like you danced and sang Dbanj Tongolo.. What do u think Tongolo Meant U listened to Terry G and Co.. Even phyno but u still think Naira Marley is the Country's problem...you listen to rubbish been said in foreign Music but Nigeria Marley is the one destroying the youth future abi?

Ogami with due respect you brain is paining you

Abeg Wake up and train you child well and stop spitting crap.....

Blaming Naira Marley for The the errors among Youth is a pure waste of time rather let's focus on curbing the influence all this bad practices have on our children...

If you think Naira Marley is the issue then you are getting it wrong because we have lots of far worse Artist Evolving after Him..

I remember that late Lasu student that sang Something about Vaginaa... This was already happening before him.. So blaming him for the decays in your child life won't solve any problem

One Marlian sported .
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by Tonnyray: 10:46am On Jan 27, 2020
SangoOlukosoOba:
The government should take this Naira Marley out.
His life will cost less than $5000 to end. Local resources can even be sourced.
The government need to do the needful before it becomes an epidemic.
My sentiment exactly.
@Prof: Wise words Sir.

2 Likes

Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by BETIKS(m): 10:46am On Jan 27, 2020
THIS GENERATION IS ROTTEN

Imagine how many people came to defend naira Marley despite the fact that the prof gave out clear points. No where did he say naira Marley was the problem in NIGERIA, there are many problems in Nigeria and moral decadence is one of them. His music appeals to people of decayed morals, if you don't find anything offensive in his music then it's a pointer to the fact that you are already decayed (dead but alive).

It's high time godly parents shield their children from the corruption in this society of ours else the coming generation would be much worse.

Thumbs up prof. People of extremely low IQ cannot comprehend the dexterity and concise manner of your findings. Naira Marley is a representation of the decay of Nigeria.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by supaphlymee(m): 10:55am On Jan 27, 2020
Kilon tun ni Marley shey
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by Silentflute1234: 11:03am On Jan 27, 2020
Small headache go kill pikin wey wan kpai, even if u build general hospital ontop him head, d one wey go survive na half panadol extra go cure am...so leave matters for Mathias...
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 27, 2020
odomanis:

One Marlian sported .
it's spotted and not a marlian
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by 12inchess: 11:25am On Jan 27, 2020
Ki lo n tun ni Marley she. Ofcourse Naira Marley music is not for kids. There are things you must protect your children from till their brain can handle it. This sh. it is just entertainment. Naira Marley is not Nigeria's problem. I repeat Naira Marley is not Nigeria's problem. In a couple of months to years we may not be listening to his music anymore because they'd be another artiste reigning but will still have these useless politicians that have dragged the country into penury. Anyways Marlian 4 life.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by Lenient001: 11:26am On Jan 27, 2020
All the same i won't stop blaming Buhari because on this same occation with Olamide during the Jonathan regime. He was arrested for making awful impact on regards of his music video titled "STORY FOR THE GODS".
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by monopolistic: 11:44am On Jan 27, 2020
lathrowinger:

How much is 24 28 and 32?

Onlinealaba:
To me I believe is just for a short time this too will fade and another new trend will come up..just watch
we sell smart TVs

This guy has a bad reputation for selling naija used repaired product as tokumbo,

you buy it , then be prepared to become customer to radionics !

so many complaine from his thread.

When you buy a BRAND NEW AIRCON/ FRIDGE , TV You have dat peace of mind.Your family feel at home .

BUT

When you buy REPAIRED AIRCON/ FRIDGE a.k.a ( TOKUMBO ) from onlinealaba every day will be complains that comes with pain and regret .you will end up calling the repaire men every week, from gas problem to leakage, from compressor issue to burnt wire smelling due to been touched by local alaba guyz.and so on.

IMAGINE COMING HOME AFTER THE HECTIC TRAFFIC ONLY TO FIGURE OUT THAT THE AIR CON HAS STARTED MISBEHAVING, OR THE FRIDGE IS NOT COOLING.

TO AVOID SUCH STORIES GO BUY A BRAND NEW AIRCON WITH REST OF MIND.

I REPEAT DON'T BE GREEDY.

1 Like

Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by authority2006(m): 11:51am On Jan 27, 2020
SameerAhmad:
For all I care, mr professor is a die hard Marlian.

He has all Naira Marley's lines in his head.

Are you a student or were you once a student? You should have known that he researched what he was going to write about in order to get attention of the readers and be able to pass his message. All what he had to do was to buy or download Naira Marley songs, he didn't need to know a single line offhand.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by authority2006(m): 11:56am On Jan 27, 2020
Kallmerb:
You look like a rejected marlian...Bible Says

Proverbs 22:6 KJV
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

It's Funny you think Naira Marley is the youth problem.. People like you danced and sang Dbanj Tongolo.. What do u think Tongolo Meant U listened to Terry G and Co.. Even phyno but u still think Naira Marley is the Country's problem...you listen to rubbish been said in foreign Music but Nigeria Marley is the one destroying the youth future abi?

Ogami with due respect you brain is paining you

I'm sure you have seen his influence in just few months, you can deny or spin all you want. It's visible.

ItooWorWor:

You de mind those fool's, let someone like chris brown sing that same song naira marley was singing you will see them shout wow the guy gat flows the guy gat flows, foolish people and at the writer he looks sick and hungry.

Your own is even worse. No mannerism, no decency.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by zoghys: 11:57am On Jan 27, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
Do they listen to Naira marley in the North?
Yet Northern youths are so lost, it's not even funny. I doubt there are more drug users in a single place than in the North

Straight to my point, we don't want him to bring the north down here.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by tunapawizzy: 11:58am On Jan 27, 2020
Ishilove:
I am amazed how many of the readers discarded the message and attacked the messenger.

What a rotten generation.
it is a shame honestly
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by tunapawizzy: 12:02pm On Jan 27, 2020
AmazingELixir:
One look at the comments from the first page shows what disaster we have as youths in the country today...

God help the youths of this country
God go dun tire sef....irredeemable bunch
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by SameerAhmad: 12:29pm On Jan 27, 2020
authority2006:

[b]Are you a student or were you once a student? [/b]You should have known that he researched what he was going to write about in order to get attention of the readers and be able to pass his message. All what he had to do was to buy or download Naira Marley songs, he didn't need to know a single line offhand.

Agbero tongue
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by EmmyDJourno: 12:45pm On Jan 27, 2020
So Naira Marley is the problem now, clap for yourselves

Bad influences have always been there

He is not the first to sing about the booty, Fela smoked weed openly on stage, peeps sang about Yahoo in the past

I never knew this Professors or many of the Pastors before they clinched on the Marlian train

Train your kids well abeg

Naira Marley is not the problem
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by LustreChris(m): 1:06pm On Jan 27, 2020
Bob Marley smoked.
Fela smoked, womanized.
But nothing is wrong with them, you like(d) their songs and they're even legends to you.

But Naira Marley is the corrupt one.
The decadence in the society is now Naira Marley's fault.

You wail at Naira Marley's doings, but hail Cardi B because she's from obodo'yinbo.

(Y)our hypocrisy stinks so much.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by StaffofOrayan(m): 1:10pm On Jan 27, 2020
zoghys:

Straight to my point, we don't want him to bring the north down here.

Was the north caused by naira marley?
Show me the northern musician that turned them to addicts and bandits.

The society is being torn apart by poverty and strife
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by LustreChris(m): 1:12pm On Jan 27, 2020
BETIKS:
THIS GENERATION IS ROTTEN

Imagine how many people came to defend naira Marley despite the fact that the prof gave out clear points. No where did he say naira Marley was the problem in NIGERIA, there are many problems in Nigeria and moral decadence is one of them. His music appeals to people of decayed morals, if you don't find anything offensive in his music then it's a pointer to the fact that you are already decayed (dead but alive).

He never said such, fine, cool, but did moral decadence start with him? Obviously, nope.
It didn't start with him neither will it end with him.
The Western world too is filled with its own moral decadence but to the best of my knowledge, there's hardly the slating of Cardi B or those who front it.
Re: Ozioma Onuzulike: Naira Marley, The Deadly Virus & His Marlians Cult by greenalwaz: 1:16pm On Jan 27, 2020
kingui:
UNN Youngest Professor, Ozioma Onuzulike Writes About The Marlians Cult

*The Deadly Virus Called Naira Marley*

By Ozioma Onuzulike

“Quarter pass, you still want to get high/After one original tramadol extra…/ I want to wake up inside money… /Yeah, come! Am I guilty?/ I am smart and I am making money… /Am I a yahoo boy? No evidence…”

Taken from “Mafo” (2019), these lines easily spotlight the hot lure of our youth towards Naira Marley’s world of reckless lifestyle. Azeez Fashola took up the stage name “Naira Marley” in admiration of Bob Marley, the late reggae musician. Like Bob Marley, he wears dreadlocks and is a notorious smoker and promoter of cannabis (Indian hemp or Igbo). He is the latest deadly virus in town, creating a cult followership among the youth who are called Marlians.

Like an evil genius, Azeez Fashola easily sells the Marlian brand to his admirers by blowing their heads with customised volleys of “Marlians! Marlians! Marlians!...” Many adults have also swallowed the bait. One of them recently thumbed up Azeez Fashola’s photograph on the social media, gleefully declaring: “This is the Marlian Prince”. He proceeded to enlist as one of Naira Marley’s spin doctors, blatantly lying that Naira Marley “studied uptil (sic) Masters level in the UK and holds a degree with distinction in Business Law”. Is he correct? Has Azeez Fashola attended any degree-awarding school? Naira Marley’s last school was a Sixth Form college (Crossways College) at which point he left off formal education because, according to his own confession to the EFCC, “I had kids at that time, so I took a break and started making music till date”. But his spin doctor told ‘white’ lies in his spirited effort to convince his audience that Naira Marley is, according to him, “a successful young man, living an interesting life”. And why not? Naira Marley, born only on 9th May 1994, is married to two wives and has four kids!

Concerned parents should discountenance Naira Marley’s spin doctors on social media who are dutifully reading his recent Wikipedia entry upside down to the extent of expressly awarding him a master’s degree in an unknown field of study. They are working hard to dispel fears that real Marlians do not become school drop outs even when they are “mannerless” and smoke weed like their Prince, change women like clothes and immerse themselves in the quest for easy money that are spent on alcohol and sex – vices that constitute the selling points of their Prince’s music videos.

As a parent, take out some time to understand the lyrics of Naira Marley’s latest hit song “Soapy”, which he released after his recent “visit” to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). Watch Naira Marley himself or members of his growing gang do the “Soapy Dance”. You will be surprised to witness how audacious Naira Marley has grown in injecting deadly viruses into the brains of our youth.

Before now, you may have seen people dancing lewd dances with their vibrating buttocks and changing gear sometimes to make gestures that are suggestive of the sexual act itself. But you have seen nothing yet. In his so-called “Soapy Dance”, Naira Marley has got those vulgar dance moves “improved” by his introduction of a very explicit sexual gesture that has extended the deadly reach of today’s insanity. Beginning with the song’s title, “Soapy”, he makes no pretensions about his glamorisation and promotion of masturbation. In doing this so-called “Soapy Dance”, the right or left hand is held in front of one’s groin in a way that visually suggests it is holding up a man’s charged “thing”. A rhythmic glide of the folded hand is sustained at work while the dancer seductively moves his or her groin in an aggressively suggestive way.

That is not all. It is even more perplexing and vexing to encounter Naira Marley’s deliberate injection of real or simulated voices of children into the “Soapy” choruses in ways that easily sway unsuspecting kids to sing along with him. What good does a practical lesson on masturbation do to your children? He even ends the song, most enchantingly, by cautioning on the wrong kind of soap to masturbate with. Your children innocuously sing with him, oblivious of the song’s poisonous flow that gradually finds its way into their vulnerable brain. Naira Marley’s “Soapy Dance” is sugar-coated poison! Like a delicious candy, your children nod their heads to its sweetness at first, but, if care is not taken, they are bound to be silently and gradually destroyed by the candy’s deadly core!

You may also examine Naira Marley’s “PXTA”, his music video featuring a large crowd of shameless young men and women dancing with bare bottoms and even copulating like dogs. You will find a set of pregnant girls dressed in what looks like secondary school pinafore uniforms and who suddenly turn to dance the “ass dance”. In this video, Naira Marley unambiguously defines the qualifications for admittance of young, impressionable minds into the Marlian “gang” (to use his own expression!). In the song’s introduction, you hear Naira Marley say “Hey control the crowd, control the crowd/ Marlians come forward, the rest Bleep off…” Well dressed young men are refused admission into the dance arena as Naira Marley intones, “If herb is not getting you high, just play Naira Marley song and you will scatter/We, the mannerless ones; zero belt, a thousand trousers”. The young men pull out their belts and stagger into the arena to join Naira Marley whose own ‘belt-less’ trouser hangs below his ass as he continues singing “Do you know MD?/ That means you should dance Marlian Dance/Can you see NBG?/ Don’t bother saying too much; it is we, the no belt gang!”

From my interactions with students of my university, “Zero belt, a thousand trousers” has become a very catchy line for them. So, to be a real Marlian, you have to dress without a belt and your trousers would have to hang down your ass, exposing your inner wear like that of Naira Marley. Why? “We, no manners” is the creed! After all, “U Bad-Oh!”

If you are patient to search out the English translation of Naira Marley’s “Opotoyi”, you will confirm that he has NOTHING good to offer your children. In this, he sings: “Marlians (7x)/Lift Your Legs (6x)/ Marlians (7x)/MD, MD, MD, this MD is Bad-Oh!/… South Africa owns this bottom mehn/Look at that bottom, they travelled to mould that bottom./So It's as big as this/You covered it up with clothes/It's as big as this…” He continues to sing about big bottoms. Suddenly, he adds “…Dance to my song, give me 5 minutes like indomie/ She's looking at me, seems she wants to bang me/ Give me my thing, man, give me my weed”. He glamorises illicit sex and Indian hemp. He then goes even more vicious: “I called my dealer, she sniffed, I had weed in my mouth, ganja!/She wants to kiss, baby girl can you kiss Tobi, Go down …/Small breast like tiger pussy/Sexy girl, let me lean on your chest”.

He is not done yet. In “Opotoyi”, Naira Marley tickles the fancy of your children towards MouthAction, raising their curiosity as he sings, “Just like sugar,… her pussy is as sweet as sugar… / Lick what you want, let them know we met wealth on earth/ So It's as big as this/ You covered it up with clothes…”. He continues with other lewd lines before the song comes to an end with hails of “Marlians! Marlians!...” And then, you wonder if Naira Marley is building your children for good or helping the devil to plant seeds of destruction in their impressionable minds. Or whether the devil himself has not cultured Naira Marley into a deadly virus.

Without doubt, what have characterised Naira Marley’s brand are illicit drugs, sex, alcohol and easy money. All of Naira Marley’s music lyrics and videos of 2019 that I have seen are never complete without the glamorisation of cannabis (Indian hemp), the female ass and alcohol. The glorification of internet fraud (yahoo-yahoo) is also his trademark. These are among deadly viruses that drive many young people away from their parents’ godly counsel and either destroy them completely or keep them disoriented.

Parents? Yes, I am referring to godly parents, those who are truly responsible and exemplary, not those who are probably worse than Naira Marley himself. One of Naira Marley’s strange fans among the university lecturers that I know has vehemently argued that Naira Marley is not the inventor of these vices and that they (these vices) will not end with him. Yes. There have always been these vices, no doubt. But the point is that Azeez Fashola (Naira Marley) is currently one of the most audacious promoters of them all. And responsible parents ought to be on their guard. They should be wary of the trending deadly virus of this time.

I urge all truly concerned parents to be on red alert, constantly guarding their children with the anti-virus of godly virtues. One of my own father’s efficacious anti-virus programmes is drawn from God’s word in Proverbs chapter 1, especially verse 10. I can confidently recommend that - “My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not!”

*Ozioma Onuzulike is a Professor of Ceramic Art and African Art History at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Davido Takes His Girlfriend, Chioma To Work (Photo) / Taiwo Ajai-Lycett: I Was Robbed & Raped At 65, Dropped Out At 16, Widowed At 52 / Meet The Cutest Twins In Nigeria – Guess Who Is Their Father?? (+photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.