Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs (24289 Views)

More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff / More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment / Electricity: Uncertainty, As Discos Bid To Pull Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by ijustdey: 4:59pm On Jan 30, 2020
7.5% VAT rate implementation begins from February

Electricity consumers in Nigeria, who are still battling with estimated billing and insufficient power supply, will pay more tariff and cost on meters beginning from this week.

Electricity Distribution companies (DisCos) have, according to checks by New Telegraph , slated February 1 to begin the implementation of 2.5 per cent increase, which had raised Value Added Tax (VAT) on meters to 7.5 per cent.

VAT on tariffs have also been adjusted to accommodate the new 7.5 per cent rate, and service charges on installment meter payments through Meter Assets Provider (MAP) will be reviewed to accommodate the new VAT charge.

The Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC), one of the two major power utility firms in Lagos, commercial hub of Nigeria, confirmed this to this newspaper yesterday, noting that from February 1, the prices of meters sold to customers under the Meter Asset Provider scheme would be reviewed to reflect the increase in VAT recently implemented by the Federal Government.

This, the EKEDC Corporate Communications General Manager, Godwin Idemudia, said in a statement, was in compliance with the 2019 Federal Government’s directive which would see an increase in VAT from 5 per cent to 7.5 per cent from the first day of February 2020.

Idemudia further stated that customers should now expect to pay “N39,765.86 (VAT inclusive) for a single-phase meter and N72,085.68 (VAT inclusive) for a three-phase meter.”

The power firm also disclosed that VAT on tariffs have been adjusted to accommodate the new 7.5 per cent rate, and service charges on installment meter payments through MAP will be reviewed to accommodate the new VAT charge.

Meanwhile, the management of Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) has decried a situation whereby the available power it generates has not been getting to the end-users or final consumers.

Managing Director of NDPHC, Mr. Cheidu Ugbo, who said this in Oke Aro, Ogun State, maintained that his company is collaborating with the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources in Lagos State to find lasting solution to the challenges of stranded power and ensure that such stranded power gets to the final consumers.

According to him, “We have electricity to serve Nigerians, but it is stranded either at power stations or transmission stations like this one, because there are few challenges (which are) why people are not being serviced and the DisCos cannot pick the load from here.

“We are collaborating seriously with the Lagos State government to make sure that this available electricity gets to the end-users.”

He said the project, which includes construction of 132Kv Multi Circuit Transmission Lines, is facing the problem of Way Leave, which means a right of way to be granted by landowners to erect the transmission lines.

“The project has been on, but we have serious Way Leave challenges. We have enlisted the support of Lagos State Government and also Ogun State Government and they are actively trying to assist us to resolve the challenges along the line routes.

“We have come to see, to assess and know where the challenges are. Lagos State Government has a programme and they need to see availability of energy here and ascertain that they can actually take the energy here and make sure it gets to the consumers in Lagos State.

“After the site visit, I’m sure the commissioner has seen and he is convinced that energy here is stranded as a matter of fact because we have seven feeders going out of here that should have taken at least 100MW, but the feeders between the two distribution companies (Ibadan and Ikeja DisCos) are doing less than 30MW,” he said.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/electricity-consumers-to-pay-more-as-discos-hike-tariffs/

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 30, 2020
The way and manner these guy's are cashing out on Nigerians calls for a nationwide meeting.

We can't be paying for what we don't see.

92 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Kylekent59: 5:33pm On Jan 30, 2020
If you wana know the evil in the power sector just switch off your appliances and devices, then travel for a month, when you are back, a bill of 15k is seriously waiting for you grin grin

You go to their office for complaint, they tell you don't worry just pay it, the next bill would be very less.

Next month bill, you would see like 19k. When you complain, dem go ask you if you use AC, washing machine, electric iron. You tell them no, they tell you ok, we are gonna do something about it.

It's just very bad. Paying for what you didn't use should be properly addressed by the minister of darkness.

Daylight robbery every day.

134 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jan 30, 2020
Mad Ooooooo
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by sevo(m): 5:57pm On Jan 30, 2020
Pay more for utter darkness
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by YorubaPrince: 5:57pm On Jan 30, 2020
Electricity? Really? Which electricity? angry

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by tammie24: 5:57pm On Jan 30, 2020
They've finally gotten the chance they have been looking for

Meanwhile nothing consign aboki with electric bill

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by adewest1999(m): 5:57pm On Jan 30, 2020
grin Sai Baba......
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by upower123(m): 5:58pm On Jan 30, 2020
Madddddd Nigeria... Suffer go long ooooo
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
too bad! obviously the government care less

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by SOFTENGR: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
Masses yaff sufad
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by TBrown77(m): 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
NIGERIANS IT IS TIME TO SPEAK OUT THAT NO PREPAID METER NO INCREASE... THIS DISCOS ARE TAKING FROM US MORE GIVING US LITTLE.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Kendumazy(m): 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
OK naww
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by dynicks(m): 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
No wonder peeps keep struggling/fighting tooth ND nail to get to the helm of affairs in this country....

Fraud/day light robbery is just so much allowed in this country......I just weak for this country honestly!

Well what do I even know...

That was how I went to the studio to record a massive song today.....2mins into the record, I kept screaming MARLIAN MARLIAN"...the production manager never knew that it was just an intro before I get into the main verse...BUT before I could say jack, I saw myself being bundled outside ; they telling me I should go continue my malianship outside......

Who did I even offend in this life sef..

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by smart3856bwg121: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
Ccd

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Staro: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
Wa
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by mosho2good: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
You dey follow shout "School na scam" but ordinary to fill teller for bank you dey sweat. You're busy writing Eleventeen thousand, one hundred and onety one. Better goan register for the coming Junior waec
���

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by 9jamag(m): 6:01pm On Jan 30, 2020
Even with dia crazy and nonsense bill everywhere.. SMH....

Are you in need of a professional, effective & affordable Website Design for your business or organization? See my signature to contact us today.

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by SachaBastien(m): 6:01pm On Jan 30, 2020
1.7 trillion Naira in 3 years and it's no difference from the $16bn Obasanjo spent in 8 years to have darker streets, homes and rundown industries. 567m or 720m per annum, Nigeria is still dark.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Ayoswit(f): 6:01pm On Jan 30, 2020
Pay More government undecided
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by MrNipplesLover(m): 6:01pm On Jan 30, 2020
Rubbish.

DisCos kó, Makosa ni....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by jadajada: 6:02pm On Jan 30, 2020
Pay more for less. What a country
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by hisexcellency34: 6:02pm On Jan 30, 2020
Na which kain wahala be this sef?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by wonlasewonimi: 6:02pm On Jan 30, 2020
Hiking tariffs of products they don't provide.. Hallmark of a shithole
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by seborrhic: 6:02pm On Jan 30, 2020
Buhari has got the highest ever revenue accruing to the FG ever in the history of Nigeria,but been the one president that has delivered the least service ever in Nigeria since 1914.
During the time of goatluck Jonathan,any of these increased would have led to nationwide protests;but since Buhari came to power fuel price has gone up,bread prices have gone up twice,all service charges now including PHCN,have gone up but Nigerians have not protested for a single day.
Nigerians obviously enjoy suffering so these price increases will continue.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Daniel058(m): 6:02pm On Jan 30, 2020
SINCE the day I heard it cost $1.4 billion to generate 1000MW of electricity,I weak..

24hrs electricity in Nigeria may Never be achieved till Ekee dis con3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by sojayy(m): 6:03pm On Jan 30, 2020
Trump see, Bubu don complete finishing Naija completely.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by sojayy(m): 6:03pm On Jan 30, 2020
Ok
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by AmazingELixir: 6:04pm On Jan 30, 2020
cool

Step in the right direction..it is long overdue.

Meanwhile Op the content of your write up is at variance with your header....there is no tariff review at the moment but adjustment meter pricing as a result of the increase in VAT.

Tariff has to do with price per energy consumption in KWH using MYTO template planned for April this year.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by yomalex(m): 6:04pm On Jan 30, 2020
Sensational
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2020
Let them continue hiking price, one day same electricity would hike them

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We’re On Standby To Ensure Tinubu Is Sworn In As President – Nigerian Military / Senate Uncovers N10bn Hidden In Education Budget / President Buhari Leaves Nigeria For Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.