Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,788 members, 7,831,549 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo (24295 Views)

What's Your Opinion About Teachers Flogging Or Punishing Your Child? / Lagos To Give 10,000 Radio Sets To Pupils For Homeschooling / Professor Wendy Osefo Racially Attacked For Speaking Against Racism In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by nmama(f): 8:35pm On Feb 01, 2020
Akwadorom ndi Anambra na nke a.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by mvem(m): 8:36pm On Feb 01, 2020
Godsonkemz:

My dear don't mind them. The more they hate us, the more we rise above them. Records have shown that if Igbos leave Lagos, the economy of Lagos will be like that of Ondo or Osun state.
I am igbo and I hate all these victim blame mentality...yoruba and igbos hate us, don't we hate them too...this ethnical thing just dey tire me...our problem still remains ethnicity which is pushing us backward...everyone na black man, black race, Bantu race....language and culture is just what makes us different

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:38pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
What other meaning are you talking about bro

The real thing is our language.

Nigeria is just weak legged entity and no should should enthrone British project more than their own language.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by samwash(m): 8:39pm On Feb 01, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Anything you can call it but it is far from been an English speaking nation.

Last time I checked an English speaking Nation, you haven't educate me why it's not na English speaking nation, am waiting for the explanation.
It's high time d president to start addressing the nation with Fulani or Hausa language or NTA news should be read in Yoruba or Igbo language as well.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by MikeBetty(m): 8:40pm On Feb 01, 2020
AfroKnight:

Honestly, you should travel more and absorb cultures and appreciate diversity so you can stop reasoning like a cave man.
Unfortunately To You, I Travelled And Still Travelling More Than You.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 01, 2020
samwash:

Last time I checked an English speaking Nation, you haven't educate me why it's not na English speaking nation, am waiting for the explanation.
It's high time d president to start addressing the nation with Fulani or Hausa language or NTA news should be read in Yoruba or Igbo language as well.

That would be wonderful.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 8:42pm On Feb 01, 2020
samwash:

Oga!!! Ur argument is baseless, those countries u name above speck a unifieing language, which are Chinese, Japanese, Dutch , Korean etc. And there citizens speck English at the international stage. Nigeria is a muti-legual nation, English is our unifieing language.

Hmn. Says who? In the Netherlands, they have more than one national language. They speak flemish and frisian in the Netherlands too. What happened is that the government promoted dutch as the main national language. Same thing can happen in Nigeria with 3 major languages being promoted as the national language- Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo. With government support and mutual understanding, this policy will work. We need to start from somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by mvem(m): 8:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
samwash:

Oga!!! Ur argument is baseless, those countries u name above speck a unifieing language, which are Chinese, Japanese, Dutch , Korean etc. And there citizens speck English at the international stage. Nigeria is a muti-legual nation, English is our unifieing language.
No!...Japanese and Chinese because of pride speak their own language...you don't see Japanese prime minister speak English in the UN meeting even if he can. See! igbo is dying. I see many Igbo youths that can't speak igbo, forming phonetics. Unlike Hausa and Yoruba that is taught from childhood. Many igbo parents sometimes willingly refuse teaching Igbo to their kids because they want them to appear more western or civilized which is very wrong. See many igbo brought ups in Lagos, Kaduna, kano etc can't speak igbo. In the North even in official setting they joyfully speak their hausa but in the east it is not the case. I don't know why many igbos sometimes pretend they can't speak igbo and this is rampant among young youths and those slay Queens...The language will slowly die with this mentality erasing our culture. We should encourage igbo to be spoken and no one should be shy to speak it. We igbos always try to appear more western which in the long run will affect our heritage.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by masterP042(m): 8:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
NACE13:

I like this a lot. I was born and bought up in the west; my parents raised me with only English language(something they deeply regret till date). I couldn't communicate with my cousins or relations because of this and this made my relationship with them dwindle because I can't imagine them speaking igbo to me and I'd be replying in english. It affected my self esteem.

Fortunately, I was determined to learn my mother tongue and I therefore decided to school in the SE where I spent most of my holidays with my big Uncles, sometimes go home (village) to know more about my culture and tradition. I try to make sure no one speaks English to me, so I can keep learning my dialect. I am happy with the few years I have spent in SE. I can communicate to an extent in my native tongue except I usually sound "foreign" according to my relations. I can keep the convo rolling as long as you do not laugh when I speak.
I have promised myself that my kids must know and speak their mother tongue no matter what it takes. I won't repeat same mistake my parent did with me.

We are fast losing our culture and it hurts so bad.
Nice one.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 8:45pm On Feb 01, 2020
MelesZenawi:

The real thing is our language.

Nigeria is just weak legged entity and no should should enthrone British project more than their own language.
I don't blame you for holding that opinion because we all know the reality as per the unity of this country.... the difference is just....I am a chronic optimist.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 8:45pm On Feb 01, 2020
mvem:
No!...Japanese and Chinese because of pride speak their own language...you don't see Japanese prime minister speak English in the UN meeting even if he can. See! igbo is dying. I see many Igbo youths that can't speak igbo, forming phonetics. Unlike Hausa and Yoruba that is taught from childhood. Many igbo parents sometimes willingly refuse teaching Igbo to their kids because they want them to appear more western or civilized which is very wrong. See many igbo brought ups in Lagos, Kaduna, kano etc can't speak igbo. In the North even in official setting they joyfully speak their hausa but in the east it is not the case. I don't know why many igbos sometimes pretend they can't speak igbo and this is rampant among young youths and those slay Queens...The language will slowly die with this mentality erasing our culture. We should encourage igbo to be spoken and no one should be shy to speak it. We igbos always try to appear more western which in the long run will affect our heritage.

Well said and spoken. God bless you.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by mvem(m): 8:45pm On Feb 01, 2020
Japanese and Chinese because of pride speak their own language...you don't see Japanese prime minister speak English in the UN meeting even if he can. See! igbo is dying. I see many Igbo youths that can't speak igbo, forming phonetics. Unlike Hausa and Yoruba that is taught from childhood. Many igbo parents sometimes willingly refuse teaching Igbo to their kids because they want them to appear more western or civilized which is very wrong. See many igbo brought ups in Lagos, Kaduna, kano etc can't speak igbo. In the North even in official setting they joyfully speak their hausa but in the east it is not the case. I don't know why many igbos sometimes pretend they can't speak igbo and this is rampant among young youths and those slay Queens...The language will slowly die with this mentality erasing our culture. We should encourage igbo to be spoken and no one should be shy to speak it. We igbos always try to appear more western which in the long run will affect our heritage.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by CSTR2: 8:46pm On Feb 01, 2020
Gabkosh:
Which igbo song? Do igbos get song?
There is no other ethnic group in Nigeria with more songs than the igbo.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by codemaniacs: 8:46pm On Feb 01, 2020
zz

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by texazzpete(m): 8:46pm On Feb 01, 2020
There is no difference between

“Everyone must speak Igbo in school on Wednesday “

And

“Vote APC or we throw you into the lagoon”

Both espouse intolerance towards diversity.

If you want to ‘save the Igbo language’, make it a compulsory subject and teach it rigorously in school. Same as how we do for English.

Forcing non-Igbos to wear Igbo attire and speak Igbo language...that’s nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by CSTR2: 8:48pm On Feb 01, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Tho we dont understand the language or wat d song mean oo, we go just dey sing am dey go weda hin Coret or not..

Me a no kuku dey follow sing, na look a go just dey look nitemi. cant goan curse mysef
The day I overhead a native igbo song being translated completely differently into Yoruba, I shock. shocked
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 8:48pm On Feb 01, 2020
mvem:
I am igbo and I hate all these victim blame mentality...yoruba and igbos hate us, don't we hate them too...this ethnical thing just dey tire me...our problem still remains ethnicity which is pushing us backward...everyone na black man, black race, Bantu race....language and culture is just what makes us different
You are Igbo and I'm Yoruba... Why are we alike? you just spoke my mind.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by goodnessme1(f): 8:48pm On Feb 01, 2020
MikeBetty:
Igbos Are Not Yorubas Whose Greeting Is Abuse.
They think everybody is like them.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by CSTR2: 8:50pm On Feb 01, 2020
goodnessme1:
imagine singing praise song in yoruba language.na gwadangwa e go be.

Lol
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Cantonese: 8:50pm On Feb 01, 2020
Gabkosh:
Which igbo song? Do igbos get song?

Run outside your house there, find a very good farmer with rough palms, ask him to give you a very good slap on your forehead so that you go get sense well.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Babybritz(f): 8:51pm On Feb 01, 2020
Interesting
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 8:52pm On Feb 01, 2020
texazzpete:
There is no difference between

“Everyone must speak Igbo in school on Wednesday “

And

“Vote APC or we throw you into the lagoon”

Both espouse intolerance towards diversity.

If you want to ‘save the Igbo language’, make it a compulsory subject and teach it rigorously in school. Same as how we do for English.

Forcing non-Igbos to wear Igbo attire and speak Igbo language...that’s nonsense.

If you are not Igbo, but you school in the East, you should not be forced to wear Igbo attire. However, schooling in a Igbo State should be seen as an opportunity to learn the Igbo Language. My mum is Yoruba. She grew up in Calabar. She speaks Igbo, Yoruba and Calabar dialects including Efik.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Igbodicool(m): 8:52pm On Feb 01, 2020
tobstarizhia:
I am strongly against pidgin being spoken in school, or anything different from the language that is taught. Like it or not, Nigeria is a multicultural entity, and as such we need a unifying lingua franca to better understand one another. Hence English. It annoys me when I see people speaking the English poorly. middle class citizens mind you, not necessarily the poor. Pidgin or vernacular is a poor man's language, and the sooner we stop representing that in all our media the better. Improving our mother tongue is also commendable. nothing wrong in that. In a class room setting where English is the language that is being taught, any other language should not be tolerated.
Just sharaaap...
What do you know?
English jide gi dia.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Premiumwriter: 8:54pm On Feb 01, 2020
Bros nigeria is not even a country. it's just a land filled with different trees undecided

nonsense angry
codemaniacs:

Nigeria is not a multicultural nation.

it is a british created country that has at least 250 countries within it.

when you are in the SE in igbo speaking states you should speak or learn to speak igbo because the SE is practically an igbo country,

when you are in the SW in yoruba speaking states you should speak or learn to speak yoruba because the SW is practically a yoruba country.

what you are promoting is disrespectful to this ethnic nations.

Nigeria can never ever be united.

you can't choose an ethnic language over the other because you don't expect Yorubas to make igbo/hausa/efik language the "unifying language" of the SW.

you can't get jobs in germany without learning german. many other countries make it priority to learn their language before you can get a job there.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by codemaniacs: 8:55pm On Feb 01, 2020
zz
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by MikeBetty(m): 8:57pm On Feb 01, 2020
goodnessme1:
They think everybody is like them.
If It Is Not Their Stock In Trade, He Wouldnt Have Mention It In This Thread
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by PerseDew(f): 8:58pm On Feb 01, 2020
tobstarizhia:
I am strongly against pidgin being spoken in school, or anything different from the language that is taught. Like it or not, Nigeria is a multicultural entity, and as such we need a unifying lingua franca to better understand one another. Hence English. It annoys me when I see people speaking the English poorly. middle class citizens mind you, not necessarily the poor. Pidgin or vernacular is a poor man's language, and the sooner we stop representing that in all our media the better. Improving our mother tongue is also commendable. nothing wrong in that. In a class room setting where English is the language that is being taught, any other language should not be tolerated.

What do you have to say about these countries with 3 or more official languages;
1. Singapore: Chinese, English, Malay and Tamil.
2. Switzerland: English, German, Italian and Romansh.
3. Belgium: Dutch, French and German.
4. Bosnia and Herzogovina: Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian.
5. South Africa: Afrikaans, English, Zulu, Sotho...(11 official languages).

Our diversity is not our problem. It is the greed and lack of empathy in our leaders and even ordinary nigerans to do the right thing that is the problem. Students should be allowed to speak languages of their choice among themselves.

Why is it annoying if a middle class speaks poor English? It could be confusing but not annoying.

Speaking a language well has to do with kind of experience that person had in his or her early years in that language. A child of the middle class spends considerable time with a nanny and parents that speaks poor English for a long time, may pick up the bad English while a child from a poor home that spends time watching cds not dstv of batman, Zack and Cody plus other american shows and reads for fun all those comprehension stories in English textbooks, such a child will most likely speak very good English even when the parents cannot speak English.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by texazzpete(m): 8:59pm On Feb 01, 2020
codemaniacs:

Nigeria is not a multicultural nation.

it is a british created country that has at least 250 countries within it.

when you are in the SE in igbo speaking states you should speak or learn to speak igbo because the SE is practically an igbo country,

when you are in the SW in yoruba speaking states you should speak or learn to speak yoruba because the SW is practically a yoruba country.

what you are promoting is disrespectful to this ethnic nations.

Nigeria can never ever be united.

you can't choose an ethnic language over the other because you don't expect Yorubas to make igbo/hausa/efik language the "unifying language" of the SW.

you can't get jobs in germany without learning german. many other countries make it priority to learn their language before you can get a job there.

This makes zero sense.

The official language in Nigeria is English. Not Igbo, not Yoruba and not Hausa. That is a fact.

Your Germany example is absolutely hilarious. Guess what the official language in Germany is?

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by samwash(m): 8:59pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:

Hmn. Says who? In the Netherlands, they have more than one national language. They speak flemish and frisian in the Netherlands too. What happened is that the government promoted dutch as the main national language. Same thing can happen in Nigeria with 3 major languages being promoted as the national language- Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo. With government support and mutual understanding, this policy will work. We need to start from somewhere.

Igbo, Yoruba & Hausa has already be promoted in Nigeria by the government. For example wen the federal government want to make an important anoucement , they also relay it in the various major Nigerian languages.it will be pointless making the 3 major languages a national language.
My agurement is that at least all Nigerians should be able to express themselves in English language both in speaking or in writing, not neglecting our local language.
For example I meant a student of SS3 in one of the wester state, he couldn't speak English not to talk of expressing himself. I was so mad at him. I asked him does it mean if he leaves the Yoruba speaking state,so he can't express him self?

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Premiumwriter: 8:59pm On Feb 01, 2020
mvem:
Japanese and Chinese because of pride speak their own language...you don't see Japanese prime minister speak English in the UN meeting even if he can. See! igbo is dying. I see many Igbo youths that can't speak igbo, forming phonetics. Unlike Hausa and Yoruba that is taught from childhood. Many igbo parents sometimes willingly refuse teaching Igbo to their kids because they want them to appear more western or civilized which is very wrong. See many igbo brought ups in Lagos, Kaduna, kano etc can't speak igbo. In the North even in official setting they joyfully speak their hausa but in the east it is not the case. I don't know why many igbos sometimes pretend they can't speak igbo and this is rampant among young youths and those slay Queens...The language will slowly die with this mentality erasing our culture. We should encourage igbo to be spoken and no one should be shy to speak it. We igbos always try to appear more western which in the long run will affect our heritage.
are they as diverse as we are?

does japan or china have over 250 languages within its boundaries? if we all encourage our local languages over english then how should the country be governed?

if buhari today can only speak fulani fluently and osibanjo only yoruba how are they going to communicate with each other and moreover the over 250 other ethnic groups?

and should the government make provisions for maths, biology, chemistry to be translated into the over 250 ethnic groups individually? the problem of choosing to teach in our local language will bring far more problem and disunity than the common english.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 9:00pm On Feb 01, 2020
Many Nigerians are willing to learn Chinese when they want to go and study in China, or learn German when they want to travel to Germany for business or pleasure. However when a Chinese man or woman comes here, we speak English to them and kowtow to them. If the Nigerian Government is serious about serious development for the nation, the teaching of our local languages and culture should be massively promoted in our Primary and Secondary schools.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by texazzpete(m): 9:04pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:

If you are not Igbo, but you school in the East, you should not be forced to wear Igbo attire. However, schooling in a Igbo State should be seen as an opportunity to learn the Igbo Language. My mum is Yoruba. She grew up in Calabar. She speaks Igbo, Yoruba and Calabar dialects including Efik.

Yes. You can learn by living in the East. Many Unilag students learn Yoruba just by living and interacting with people in Yaba. Nobody forced them to take lectures in Yoruba.

You can also make Igbo a compulsory subject and that would help too

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

UNIBEN Sets Up Panel To Probe 'Aggressive Malpractice' Video Graduate / Who Is An Educated Man? / Yosi Yusuf: Gombe State College Of Education Student Murdered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.