Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Catalyst Converter Myth - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Catalyst Converter Myth (2751 Views)

Can No Catalyst Converter Cause This? / How True Is This Myth About Honda And Toyota Car Engines? (pictures) / Catalyst Converter Functions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catalyst Converter Myth by Richie77: 3:23pm On Feb 03, 2020
On ‘popular but wrong’, I will be bringing you a few popular opinions on car tech with explanations why they are wrong.
CATALYTIC CONVERTER
On this side of the globe, the catalytic converter has gained a very popular alias - ‘the Indomie’, after Indomie noodles because of the noodles like shape of the converter metals. In other worlds, it is simply called the ‘Cat’.
There is a popular believe and claim that the Cat/Indomie improves fuel economy. I say a big Wrong to that. The Cat is not designed to, and so doesn't improve fuel consumption. The Cat is designed to remove poisonous gases and elements like Carbon monoxide and Nitrogen from the exhaust gas. Thus, its main function is to reduce excessive air pollution. It does this by reacting with the gas as it passes through the exhaust pipe. Or more specifically, it facilitates the
reaction, that’s why it is called a catalyst. One of the end products of this reaction is water which might be seen dropping off the exhaust tip at times.
There is something else in the exhaust system which functions to measure the composition of gasses passing out the exhaust pipe. It is simply called the sensor (or a variation of that). It sends the data to the on-board computer or ECU which in turn adjusts the air-fuel ratio for optimal combustion. So the sensor(s) directly contribute to fuel economy. It is fitted after the exhaust manifold and before the Cat. Some cars do have a secondary sensor placed after the Cat which also feeds the ECU its data. But this second sensor doesn't determine the fuel economy of the car, it measure the amount of carbon emission per mile or kilometer for that cars as it is expected that the Cat would have cleaned up the gas as much as it can before it reaches the second sensor.
Just to add, the Cat can be removed without touching the sensor (I've not heard of an otherwise assembly). This is one of the things that happens in car upgrade workshops were stock cars are upgraded for higher performance. The cat is entirely removed, at the expense of environmental pollution because it is a major obstruction in the exhaust system and any obstruction in the exhaust system reduces engine performance. So if the cat has anything to do with fuel consumption at all, I will say it increases fuel consumption by a small bit as the car has to do more work to push out its own gas… You know how much work you have to do when you are sitting on a comfy couch and you have to push out your own exhaust gas compared to when you are standing freely and you just let it out?

Source : http://101carsense..com/2013/07/popular-but-wrong.html

2 Likes

Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:07pm On Feb 03, 2020
Can confirm, cat deletes don't directly affect fuel economy at all.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by seanfer(m): 6:32pm On Feb 03, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Can 02 spacer work in case of faulty Cat?
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:39pm On Feb 03, 2020
seanfer:

Can 02 spacer work in case of faulty Cat?

Yep. Remove the cat and install spacers. It'll fool the ECU into thinking a cat is present.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by seanfer(m): 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Yep. Remove the cat and install spacers. It'll fool the ECU into thinking a cat is present.

But what about the consumption of fuel?
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by dicksonadams(m): 7:21pm On Feb 03, 2020
Any damage to the engine after this modification?
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:39pm On Feb 03, 2020
dicksonadams:
Any damage to the engine after this modification?

No. Only thing that can damage your engine is driving with a damaged cat.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by Inception(m): 8:44pm On Feb 03, 2020
Running without cats on my ES350. Only downside that it is louder .

1 Like

Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:45pm On Feb 03, 2020
Inception:
Running without cats on my ES350. Only downside that it is louder .

How is that a downside?
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by Inception(m): 9:28pm On Feb 03, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

How is that a downside?

Dude!

Its a Lexus! grin

I love my cars pindrop quiet

2 Likes

Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by banky3w(m): 10:27pm On Feb 03, 2020
Inception:

Dude!

Its a Lexus! grin

I love my cars pindrop quiet
Oya let's exchange, come and collect avalon.
Mt last car EOD that I purchased was done because of the cat delete. Man, I love that low growl. It gives me joy immeasurable grin
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by 9icetoo(m): 7:10am On Feb 04, 2020
On some Cara, the increased noise levels can be quite disconcerting.

Replaced the one on my big for nothing. It was unbearably noisy for long journeys.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:12am On Feb 04, 2020
9icetoo:
On some Cara, the increased noise levels can be quite disconcerting.

Replaced the one on my big for nothing. It was unbearably noisy for long journeys.

I bet you'd hate my car. grin
The stock exhaust is already loud, taking off the cat just made it a lot worse.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by thebigkendo(m): 8:04am On Feb 04, 2020
Aunty Radautoworks come & see testimony on cat delete grin

#TeamNoCat
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by dicksonadams(m): 8:10am On Feb 04, 2020
Team 02 spacer , no noise, luxurious with my tuke tuke vibe and Honda grin
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 04, 2020
thebigkendo:

#TeamNoCat

I knew you'll be here cheesy

There was a time when a law was passed that enabled law enforcement agencies inspect exhaust gases for pollution. I really can't remember the details as I was still quite young. Hopefully, those days will be back again. You guys should stop polluting our environment cool

1 Like

Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by radautoworks: 8:46am On Feb 04, 2020
thebigkendo:

#TeamNoCat

Carry on. As for me and my house we will use the cat.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by dgitrader(m): 9:26am On Feb 04, 2020
Now Okon is now more confused!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by 9icetoo(m): 10:42am On Feb 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I bet you'd hate my car. grin
The stock exhaust is already loud, taking off the cat just made it a lot worse.
I'd love the note from the outside but wouldn't want to be inside on a four hour journey. I might go deaf before I get to my destination. grin
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by EngRichie: 11:12am On Feb 04, 2020
Nice writeup.
But from deeper research, it all depends on the car and the extent to which fuel economy is affected.
It also depends on where fuel economy is affected. At low end or high end. Check how the cat affects low end torque and scavenging.
Again, some cars use after cat sensors for fuel adjustment. It depends on the extent to which it does that. Some up to 10%, some 30%.
Regards.

2 Likes

Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by 2shure: 6:47pm On Feb 04, 2020
Once your 02 sensor is bad. If u like have catalyst or not. Your mpg go drop maybe to 10mpg. Plus driving habits. But with catalyst converter your will get fair miles.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by AutoMoTech(m): 8:35pm On Feb 04, 2020
EngRichie:
Nice writeup.
But from deeper research, it all depends on the car and the extent to which fuel economy is affected.
It also depends on where fuel economy is affected. At low end or high end. Check how the cat affects low end torque and scavenging.
Again, some cars use after cat sensors for fuel adjustment. It depends on the extent to which it does that. Some up to 10%, some 30%.
Regards.

All depending on the design and what the engineers wanted to achieve. One size never fits all.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by EngRichie: 8:50pm On Feb 04, 2020
Exactly!

AutoMoTech:

All depending on the design and what the engineers wanted to achieve. One size never fits all.
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by thebigkendo(m): 9:09pm On Feb 04, 2020
rationalmind:

I knew you'll be here cheesy

There was a time when a law was passed that enabled law enforcement agencies inspect exhaust gases for pollution. I really can't remember the details as I was still quite young. Hopefully, those days will be back again. You guys should stop polluting our environment cool

Till does days....
I don't see any reason to spend over 50k on Cat replacement, when it has no "negative" effect on MY car...
I will not purposely delete my cat.. But if the Cat goes bad(which will most probably happen due to our fuel), or gets stolen, i will not replace it grin grin grin grin
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by Nobody: 10:50pm On Feb 04, 2020
thebigkendo:

Till does days....
I don't see any reason to spend over 50k on Cat replacement, when it has no "negative" effect on MY car...
I will not purposely delete my cat.. But if the Cat goes bad(which will most probably happen due to our fuel), or gets stolen, i will not replace it grin grin grin grin

This cracked me up grin

When dru sees it, he'll be like "This is why I don't buy Nigerian used cars grin grin
Re: Catalyst Converter Myth by seanfer(m): 12:07pm On Feb 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Please how can one get the O2 Spacer.... I'm in Port Harcourt.

(1) (Reply)

Converting A Manual To An Automatic Car: {advice From Experience Needed} / 10 Cars Of The Future That Will Make You Say OMG! / Hello Friends Your Experienced On 09 Camry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.