Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,187 members, 7,815,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit (23669 Views)

What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? / Please What Does This Alert Light On My Dash Board Mean? / Autoreg:vehicle Licence, Hackney Permit And Insurance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by nurey(m): 2:32pm On Feb 04, 2020
Let me start from the beginning and be detailed.

I drive a sienna 2000, the document is in my mum's name and the driver license and documents share same surname.

I was hauling 50 cartons of biscuit the receipt is in my name, you can't know I am carrying biscuit unless you peep into the vehicle and no my glass is clear not tinted. I hope we are on the same page? grin

I was flagged down by yellow fever women, I parked and greet ask for my documents and I handed it over, she now said where is your hackney permit I told her it's my personal car a private vehicle she now flared up that she was gonna delay me fuming and all but my passenger a female talked to her and she let us go Sha.

Before that one, VIO stopped me at Epe and asked for all ask able lights (reverse, brake, side indicator etc) after they saw my paper was complete I was carrying full load my friends from work, they now said I had a private number and was running commercial operation, I explained to him Sha and he asked me to indicate names of some passenger, when I said a funny nickname of one passenger he laughed and asked me to go.

I have noticed that sometimes when I reach bus stops some agbero would also run banging the car saying "make we shadow, shey make we shadow" even passengers do rush to the door shouting all kinds of area.

Is the sienna categorized as a commercial vehicle in Nigeria?

Also a private vehicle used to carry personal goods, should it also have hackney permit?

2 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by seanfer(m): 6:13pm On Feb 04, 2020
Welcome to Naija where the law enforcement agents are enforcing money into their pockets instead of enforcing laws. A policeman stopped me here in PH and told me point blank that my papers are complete but I won’t go until I give him 1K to do weekend. I was shocked.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by laivwire(m): 7:15pm On Feb 04, 2020
Any vehicle can be used as a commercial vehicle. Sienna or anyone else so far you have the correct license plates fixed on. Now if you are caught running commercial operations with your private vehicle l you can be penalized. For example, picking fare-paying passengers or haulage beyond a minimum I don't know exactly though.

Sienna is a popular commercial vehicle so I guess it's been stereotyped along that line. I once used a Hilux with private license plates and Road safety usually disturbed saying a truck should have commercial plates because they are used for hauling stuff. Now my current Hilux has a commercial plate but commercial local govt papers no dey ever finish especially if you move across a wide region.

As a commercial vehicle carrying load you need a hackney permit but with a private vehicle you don't however, you'll be penalized if you carry overload.

3 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by pattybf(f): 8:39pm On Feb 04, 2020
laivwire:
Any vehicle can be used as a commercial vehicle. Sienna or anyone else so far you have the correct license plates fixed on. Now if you are caught running commercial operations with your private vehicle l you can be penalized. For example, picking fare-paying passengers or haulage beyond a minimum I don't know exactly though.

Sienna is a popular commercial vehicle so I guess it's been stereotyped along that line. I once used a Hilux with private license plates and Road safety usually disturbed saying a truck should have commercial plates because they are used for hauling stuff. Now my current Hilux has a commercial plate but commercial local govt papers no dey ever finish especially if you move across a wide region.

As a commercial vehicle carrying load you need a hackney permit but with a private vehicle you don't however, you'll be penalized if you carry overload.

Any vehicle registered, either commercial or private (registration) for the purpose of haulage of people or goods is required to have hackney permit.

Recently, most commercial vehicle owners have preferred to opt for private registration and obtain hackney permit as a license to carry goods or passengers. Reason is the current high cost of road worthinesss which will give them only six months if registered with commercial numbered plate.

8 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by nurey(m): 9:30pm On Feb 04, 2020
pattybf:

Any vehicle registered, either commercial or private (registration) for the purpose of haulage of people or goods is required to have hackney permit.

Recently, most commercial vehicle owners have preferred to opt for private registration and obtain hackney permit as a license to carry goods or passengers. Reason is the current high cost of road worthinesss which will give them only six months if registered with commercial numbered plate.

I don't use the vehicle for commercial purpose, any goods it carries is mine but I always ensure the goods don't show through the window cause FRSC can tag the vehicle as cargo vehicle.

Even the government staffs can't know haulage sienna from none but should take the word of the driver as truth as long as that road is there jurisdiction and they don't see me carry load up and down that route

1 Like

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by Alexgray(m): 9:42pm On Feb 04, 2020
pattybf:

Haulagesadnoun) commercial transport of goods.
You can only transport people and haul goods.

Only vehicles with red number plates (commercial) should require hackney permit and road worthinesss to expire in 6 months.

But welcome to Nigeria, where vio ask for road worthinesss cert for a brand new car and claims it was registered in a fleet and not private.

2 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by pattybf(f): 5:44am On Feb 05, 2020
Alexgray:

Haulagesadnoun) commercial transport of goods.
You can only transport people and haul goods.

Only vehicles with red number plates (commercial) should require hackney permit and road worthinesss to expire in 6 months.

But welcome to Nigeria, where vio ask for road worthinesss cert for a brand new car and claims it was registered in a fleet and not private.

What I wrote is in practice and not some theories!

2 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by diportivo: 6:36am On Feb 05, 2020
nurey:

I drive a sienna 2000, the document is in my mum's name and the driver license and documents share same surname.

I was hauling 50 cartons of biscuit the receipt is in my name, you can't know I am carrying biscuit unless you peep into the vehicle and no my glass is clear not tinted. I hope we are on the same page? grin

I was flagged down by yellow fever women, I parked and greet ask for my documents and I handed it over, she now said where is your hackney permit I told her it's my personal car a private vehicle she now flared up that she was gonna delay me fuming and all but my passenger a female talked to her and she let us go Sha.

Before that one, VIO stopped me at Epe and asked for all ask able lights (reverse, brake, side indicator etc) after they saw my paper was complete I was carrying full load my friends from work, they now said I had a private number and was running commercial operation, I explained to him Sha and he asked me to indicate names of some passenger, when I said a funny nickname of one passenger he laughed and asked me to go.

I have noticed that sometimes when I reach bus stops some agbero would also run banging the car saying "make we shadow, shey make we shadow" even passengers do rush to the door shouting all kinds of area.

Also a private vehicle used to carry personal goods, should it also have hackney permit?

guy

u dey island

dem don ban keke and okada for island

arent u thinking what I'm thinking bayii

2 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by woodrow(m): 8:02am On Feb 05, 2020
pattybf:

What I wrote is in practice and not some theories!

Because you and ur people practice it does not mean it is right. The law is very clear on red, and blue plates. Stop deceiving yourselves. Stop the extortion. Speak the truth and don't turn the law to theories

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by nurey(m): 9:00am On Feb 05, 2020
diportivo:

guy

u dey island

dem don ban keke and okada for island

arent u thinking what I'm thinking bayii

No time to do that one, I get stable job, sienna is the new Keke in town, I just pray they don't ban sienna in Lagos too grin

2 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by TheGiftedOne(m): 9:29am On Feb 05, 2020
When your vehicle is registered as a private one, you add a Hackney carriage permit if it were to ever be engaged in commercial transport. That's the provision of the law.

Meanwhile a friend of mine who uses a RX300 Lexus meet a mechanic who connected two "resistors" or "stepdown" to the fuel injectors to reduce fuel consumption and its working perfectly. Any long-term side effect on the engine on vehicle performance?

GAZZUZZ
GAZZUZZ
GSZZUZZ.
Please respond.Thanks!

1 Like

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by selfmadeOLX(m): 10:40am On Feb 12, 2020
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by ospreywin(m): 10:51am On Mar 18, 2020
Hackney permit is meant for commercial vehicles only. Simple as ABC. By commercial vehicles I mean those registered with red number plates. If you want to use your vehicle for commercial purposes you need to convert from blue to red(private to commercial), it's not proper to obtain Hackney permit for a private vehicle but here in Lagos state you are now required to obtain Hackney permit to use for a car hailing services/ride sharing (Uber and the rest) which doesn't make sense and contradicts the ideology of ride sharing. The rate at which Lagos State extort vehicle owners is appalling to be sincere, from road worthiness (issued to newly registered vehicles), vehicle license sms fee of 200(sometimes you don't even receive any sms alert of which you paid for) and so on. Just to avoid issues on the road get an Hackney permit for your private vehicle if you're using it to haul goods or transport passengers.
Meanwhile, check my signature, I register old/new vehicle, process tinted permit and anything vehicle documents. 08144476474 whatsapp or call for details

4 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by moyoz(m): 6:34am On Apr 09, 2020
nurey:

Please bro, I need your advice to decide on my next car. I'm considering Lexus GS 350 08/ ES 350 08. I'll like to know more about the gas mileage of the 2 cars thanks.
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by adeeva06(f): 10:45am On Apr 09, 2020
Over sabi. You can have a blue plate number and get the hackney permit. This is what the government require the e-hailing guys to get. Dey there dey speak english

woodrow:

Because you and ur people practice it does not mean it is right. The law is very clear on red, and blue plates. Stop deceiving yourselves. Stop the extortion. Speak the truth and don't turn the law to theories

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by woodrow(m): 3:40pm On Apr 09, 2020
adeeva06:
Over sabi. You can have a blue plate number and get the hackney permit. This is what the government require the e-hailing guys to get. Dey there dey speak english

The law is very clear on blue and red number plates.

Illiteracy is the only reason you can't differentiate ride sharing services(private) and taxi/cab services(commercial). Very soon,same govt would require you to have hackney permit for having various extended family members in a private vehicle on a normal day.

4 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by adeeva06(f): 4:26pm On Apr 09, 2020
Premium okoto....

Rest!

woodrow:

The law is very clear on blue and red number plates.

Illiteracy is the only reason you can't differentiate ride sharing services(private) and taxi/cab services(commercial). Very soon,same govt would require you to have hackney permit for having various extended family members in a private vehicle on a normal day.
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by nurey(m): 8:15am On Apr 13, 2020
moyoz:

Please bro, I need your advice to decide on my next car. I'm considering Lexus GS 350 08/ ES 350 08. I'll like to know more about the gas mileage of the 2 cars thanks.

Pick the es350 slightly better mpg and cheaper parts with medium luxury

2 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by tmanis(m): 10:48am On Apr 13, 2020
nurey:

Pick the es350 slightly better mpg and cheaper parts with medium luxury
the gs is faster shey?
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by nurey(m): 10:52am On Apr 13, 2020
tmanis:
the gs is faster shey?
THE Gs isnt faster but more superior in luxury than the ES
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by tmanis(m): 3:34pm On Apr 13, 2020
nurey:

THE Gs isnt faster but more superior in luxury than the ES
for reals
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by Toyosienna: 6:36am On Jul 05, 2020
pattybf:

Are you 4 real ,can I use my minivan with private Number to carry passengers And collect hackney permit for it
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by legionISproteus: 4:26pm On Jul 05, 2020
pattybf:

So why not make the duration and cost of road worthiness the same with private vehicles?

Things like this gives private vehicle owners problem on the road. You know how difficult our law enforcement can be.
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by pattybf(f): 6:21pm On Jul 05, 2020
Toyosienna:

Are you 4 real ,can I use my minivan with private Number to carry passengers And collect hackney permit for it

You can do that. You will be required to get local government papers /basket and stage carriage permit.

This is the current practise by many. But my professional advice is to go for a commercial no plate
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by pattybf(f): 6:32pm On Jul 05, 2020
legionISproteus:
So why not make the duration and cost of road worthiness the same with private vehicles?

Things like this gives private vehicle owners problem on the road. You know how difficult our law enforcement can be.

I want to believe you know that i am not in the position to make this change. Secondly, commercial vehicles are believed to be in more operation than private vehicles, therefore, requires more reviews (every six months).

1 Like

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by Toyosienna: 6:48pm On Jul 05, 2020
pattybf:

You can do that. You will be required to get local government papers /basket and stage carriage permit.

This is the current practise by many. But my professional advice is to go for a commercial no plate

Ok ,thanks for clarification
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by legionISproteus: 9:08pm On Jul 05, 2020
pattybf:

I want to believe you know that i am not in the position to make this change. Secondly, commercial vehicles are believed to be in more operation than private vehicles, therefore, requires more reviews (every six months).
I know

In Nigeria we have a way of doing things abnormally and it shows.
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by NaijadrivaCars: 5:28pm On Jul 07, 2020
Na for only Lagos da wan de work.
Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by 9icetoo(m): 8:18pm On Nov 22, 2022
nurey:

Interestingly, this question was posed today by a logistics manager.

Nigeria is indeed a failed country.

There is no law that requires private vehicle to have a hackney permit.

Hackney permit is issued to commercial (red number) vehicles only.

The law makes a provision for that and the issuing authority issues that permit along with other vehicle documents.

Vehicles (Toyota Hilux, sienna, ford f150, Tacoma, tundra, haice bus, etc) registered for private use are not required by law to have hackney permit.

There is no Nigerian law that automatically confers commercial status to the above listed vehicles if the owner expressly requests and registers such a vehicle for private use.

The road traffic act is very clear on this issue yet we have overzealous security agencies and touts (enabled and emboldened by the inactions and tacit support of these agencies) enforcing hackney permit on these set of private vehicles.

One day na one day sha.

Pattybf, I was disappointed by your response.

I expected you to know better.

The law is the law.

The vehicle licensing agency is well within their rights to withdraw or demand a vehicle registration is changed from private to public if it deems the owner of such a vehicle is using it for commercial purposes. They have no right within the law to demand for hackney permit for a private vehicle.

I was disappointed going through this page.

2 Likes

Re: What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit by ospreywin(m): 7:20am On Nov 23, 2022
9icetoo:

Interestingly, this question was posed today by a logistics manager.

Nigeria is indeed a failed country.

There is no law that requires private vehicle to have a hackney permit.

Hackney permit is issued to commercial (red number) vehicles only.

The law makes a provision for that and the issuing authority issues that permit along with other vehicle documents.

Vehicles (Toyota Hilux, sienna, ford f150, Tacoma, tundra, haice bus, etc) registered for private use are not required by law to have hackney permit.

There is no Nigerian law that automatically confers commercial status to the above listed vehicles if the owner expressly requests and registers such a vehicle for private use.

The road traffic act is very clear on this issue yet we have overzealous security agencies and touts (enabled and emboldened by the inactions and tacit support of these agencies) enforcing hackney permit on these set of private vehicles.

One day na one day sha.

Pattybf, I was disappointed by your response.

I expected you to know better.

The law is the law.

The vehicle licensing agency is well within their rights to withdraw or demand a vehicle registration is changed from private to public if it deems the owner of such a vehicle is using it for commercial purposes. They have no right within the law to demand for hackney permit for a private vehicle.

I was disappointed going through this page.

This is Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Car Names / LASTMA Traffic Fines Lists / Management Of Mitsubishi Motors Nigeria Swapped Roles With Junior Employees(pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.