Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,444 members, 7,846,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:34 AM

Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review (3327 Views)

Sowore: Falana Tells NBA To Discipline Osinbajo, Other Lawyers In Cabinet / Ganduje: Kingmakers Hire 7 SANs, 17 Other Lawyers To Battle Governor / PDP, Bala Mohammed Assemble 5 Sans, 60 Other Lawyers To Defend Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by zoedew: 9:29am On Feb 07, 2020
garfield1:
Three weeks after the Supreme Court sacked Emeka Ihedioha as Governor of Imo State, he has returned to the apex court, asking it to set aside its earlier judgment.
On January 14, Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun delivered the lead judgment and declared Senator Hope Uzodinma of the All Progressives Congress (APC) winner of the governorship contest that held on March 9, 2019.
The Supreme Court, therefore, ordered the immediate withdrawal of the certificate of return issued to Ihedioha.
Addressing newsmen in Abuja, Ihedioha said he filed an application yesterday, with only one prayer: that the earlier decision be set aside.
He said he had already hired over 30 lawyers, led by a former Attorney-General of the Federation, Kanu Agabi, to represent him at the Supreme Court.
Speaking on behalf of Ihedioha, immediate-past Attorney-General of Imo State, Mr. Ndukwe Nnawuchi, told newsmen that they were hopeful that they would be vindicated at the end of the legal battle.
“On Wednesday, Emeka Ihedioha and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) put together a team of lawyers to study the judgment of the Supreme Court. That team has studied the judgment and has advised Ihedioha accordingly.
“Following their advise, Ihedioha and the PDP instructed the team of lawyers to approach the Supreme Court with an application to set aside its earlier judgment delivered on the 14th of January, 2020.
“I want to inform you that (yesterday), the team of lawyers filed the case. The relief being sought is to have the earlier judgment set aside on the ground of nullity. The details have been canvassed. The Supreme Court will reach a decision one way or the other.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.sunnewsonline.com/imo-ihedioha-hires-30-lawyers/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjjqquG1rznAhVPQhUIHWJeDM0QFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1LeP18Or_D5aUtCFVI88-q

Mynd44
Ekinematics
Ejimatic
Duwdu
Otuekong
Nosryk
Zoedew
Freeze
Fairfora
Yarimo
Buhariadvocate
Gamelnasser
Sarkki
Kyase
Helinues

Gross abuse of court process. I don’t envy the lawyer hired for the hatchet job. He puts his licence on the line. Who knows he might get away with just a tongue lashing from the Supreme Court Justices. Worst case scenario they will initiate and see through the process to have the CP fellow struck off the Roll for professional misconduct. Litigation must have an end!

1 Like

Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 08, 2020
zoedew:

Gross abuse of court process. I don’t envy the lawyer hired for the hatchet job. He puts his licence on the line. Who knows he might get away with just a tongue lashing from the Supreme Court Justices. Worst case scenario they will initiate and see through the process to have the CP fellow struck off the Roll for professional misconduct. Litigation must have an end!
Nobody is losing his or her licence here. Reviews are a process. It takes place even in the advanced countries. Even if ihedioha loses out in the process, it would enable the judiciary learn from mistakes and avoid this, should a similar case occur in future.

In my opinion, it's bias on the part of the count by affirming the sheets submitted ONLY by the police who are not even members of INEC or delegates, knowing fully well how corrupt and biased our police have always been.

A similar incident happened in osun when hoodlums were permitted by the same police who were supposed to be guiding and guarding the house in which electoral materials were kept after votes have been cast, to invade and buggle the place and take away a huge number of alrady ballot papers to an unknown location on instruction of the ruling party in the state.

When the police were asked, they said there were chaos around the place caused by hoodlums and one of their men shot IN THE AIR and the BULLET HIT THE GENETATOR WHICH WAS ON AND IT CAUGHT FIRE Imagine a bullet shot in the air , now hitting the gen which was on ground grin grin grin and the whole place was affected by the fire which came from the generator. Trust the nigerian police at the expense of your life.
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by surgical: 9:53am On Feb 08, 2020
Kingrexyl:
Waste of time and resources, we know he won't get his mandate back, no be Nigeria again
buhari has sent signal to the Sharia CJN by traveling with uzodinma
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by zoedew: 12:17pm On Feb 08, 2020
fairfora:
Nobody is losing his or her licence here. Reviews are a process. It takes place even in the advanced countries. Even if ihedioha loses out in the process, it would enable the judiciary learn from mistakes and avoid this, should a similar case occur in future.

In my opinion, it's bias on the part of the count by affirming the sheets submitted ONLY by the police who are not even members of INEC or delegates, knowing fully well how corrupt and biased our police have always been.

A similar incident happened in osun when hoodlums were permitted by the same police who were supposed to be guiding and guarding the house in which electoral materials were kept after votes have been cast, to invade and buggle the place and take away a huge number of alrady ballot papers to an unknown location on instruction of the ruling party in the state.

When the police were asked, they said there were chaos around the place caused by hoodlums and one of their men shot IN THE AIR and the BULLET HIT THE GENETATOR WHICH WAS ON AND IT CAUGHT FIRE Imagine a bullet shot in the air , now hitting the gen which was on ground grin grin grin and the whole place was affected by the fire which came from the generator. Trust the nigerian police at the expense of your life.

You mix things up here. It is the principle of Law that the Supreme Court reviews where it agrees it reached the current wrongly. It will not ask Ihedioha to take another Oath of Office. Litigation must have end plus Counsel should have done better
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 08, 2020
zoedew:

You mix things up here. It is the principle of Law that the Supreme Court reviews where it agrees it reached the current wrongly. It will not ask Ihedioha to take another Oath of Office. Litigation must have end plus Counsel should have done better
I didn't mix up anything. My point is, there's nothing wrong for the review to be carried out, for the future's sake because a similar scenario might play out in future. No system is perfect and the judiciary could learn from this. That said, police tendering ballot papers was a wrong move when the same weren't INEC officials. Anything could have happened along the line. Whether ihedioha had raised an objection or alarm while this took place or not, it doesn't matter. The matter was left for tribunal and judiciary to handle. How veritable were those results? Police in Nigeria cannot be trusted with such a sensitive thing and the fact that those result sheets weren't submitted by INEC cast doubts on its veracity or legitimacy.
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by garfield1: 2:17pm On Feb 08, 2020
fairfora:

There's nothing similar between this scenario and that of osun.in terms of proving the authenticity of result sheets,the police are usually told to produce theirs to break the tie and compare.mind you,it is usually inec that alters figures on the original copies different from the duplicate submitted to parties and the police.why would one falsify a duplicate copy?
Hope produced the copy given to apc by inec.inec refused to bring their own originals to rebute it,pdp followed suit.the police brought theirs and it tallied with that of apc.mind you,the law right from omoboriowo vs ajasin supra states that the figures or results contained in form ec8a are regular,deemed to be correct and normal except proven to be untrue by the opposition not the judges.it is not the place of the judges to spot any error or irregularities in result sheets and even if they see it,they cannot do anything.it is the place of the other party to spot any error and bring it to the notice of the judges.in any case,the errors spotted in those results affected only 10 units and this is not substantial enough to change the judgment plus this was raised up long after the ruling
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by garfield1: 2:33pm On Feb 08, 2020
fairfora:
I didn't mix up anything. My point is, there's nothing wrong for the review to be carried out, for the future's sake because a similar scenario might play out in future. No system is perfect and the judiciary could learn from this. That said, police tendering ballot papers was a wrong move when the same weren't INEC officials. Anything could have happened along the line. Whether ihedioha had raised an objection or alarm while this took place or not, it doesn't matter. The matter was left for tribunal and judiciary to handle. How veritable were those results? Police in Nigeria cannot be trusted with such a sensitive thing and the fact that those result sheets weren't submitted by INEC cast doubts on its veracity or legitimacy.
The bolded sums up your total ignorance about the law just like in politics.you speak sentimentally driven by hatred for apc.someone like you should never go to court,you can never win any case with this kind of thinking.this is a legal matter,you do not tackle it with layman thoughts,you back it up with law and decided cases or you simply keep quiet.
It is settled law that when there's a dispute concerning result sheets,the police copies are very important and is an inbuilt mechanism to prevent rigging that is why they are given copies if not inec will be the only one with result sheets.you dont trust police,is it inec that carries out the actual rigging that you trust? When inec rigs you out,you just let it go even when the police can assist you? please see omoboriowo vs ajasin supra 1983,see sekibo vs inec 2018 see nnadi vs ezike 2010 supra.

It is settled law that police can tender results when subpoenaed.it did not start today please,this are established law before you were born.it is also settled law all over the world that he who alleges must prove.ihedioha and inec raised objections to the results without cogent prove.it is their place to provide proof and refute the results,it is not in the place of the judges to provide proofs for them,they are not father xmas.if you dont like this system,you simply lobby the nass to and the law.he who alleges must prove.you must succeed on the strength of your case.parties are bound by their pleadings.please,see otti vs ikpeazu supra 2015 see buhari vs yaradua 2008,see uduma vs arunsi 2010,see kakih vs pdp.i dont expect you to reply me unless you read those cases
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 08, 2020
garfield1:

The bolded sums up your total ignorance about the law just like in politics.you speak sentimentally driven by hatred for apc.someone like you should never go to court,you can never win any case with this kind of thinking.this is a legal matter,you do not tackle it with layman thoughts,you back it up with law and decided cases or you simply keep quiet.
It is settled law that when there's a dispute concerning result sheets,the police copies are very important and is an inbuilt mechanism to prevent rigging that is why they are given copies if not inec will be the only one with result sheets.you dont trust police,is it inec that carries out the actual rigging that you trust? When inec rigs you out,you just let it go even when the police can assist you? please see omoboriowo vs ajasin supra 1983,see sekibo vs inec 2018 see nnadi vs ezike 2010 supra.

It is settled law that police can tender results when subpoenaed.it did not start today please,this are established law before you were born.it is also settled law all over the world that he who alleges must prove.ihedioha and inec raised objections to the results without cogent prove.it is their place to provide proof and refute the results,it is not in the place of the judges to provide proofs for them,they are not father xmas.if you dont like this system,you simply lobby the nass to and the law.he who alleges must prove.you must succeed on the strength of your case.parties are bound by their pleadings.please,see otti vs ikpeazu supra 2015 see buhari vs yaradua 2008,see uduma vs arunsi 2010,see kakih vs pdp.i dont expect you to reply me unless you read those cases
I remember omoboriowo vs ajashin very well. Police then aren't same with police we have from 2015 and now. Even the military have suddenly become partisan and biased during the apc administration by killing those officers who arrested wadume the criminal, breaking the handcuff of the criminal and asked him to go.

So, are you now saying okorocha, as a number one citizen of the state, on whose power to do and undo rested, couldn't have influenced things with the connivance of the police..? I clap for you for exhibiting high level of pretence and bias in this regard. The same man who asked the INEC official to announce the result with threats to his life and the man "jejelly" danced to his times to avoid being killed can do even worse to ensure things happened in favour of his party. Anyway, I'm no surprised. It's your opinion.
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by zoedew: 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2020
fairfora:

Just wait for the judgment and we will talk again.
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by garfield1: 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2020
fairfora:
I remember omoboriowo vs ajashin very well. Police then aren't same with police we have from 2015 and now. Even the military have suddenly become partisan and biased during the apc administration by killing those officers who arrested wadume the criminal, breaking the handcuff of the criminal and asked him to go.

So, are you now saying okorocha, as a number one citizen of the state, on whose power to do and undo rested, couldn't have influenced things with the connivance of the police..? I clap for you for exhibiting high level of pretence and bias in this regard. The same man who asked the INEC official to announce the result with threats to his life and the man "jejelly" danced to his times to avoid being killed can do even worse to ensure things happened in favour of his party. Anyway, I'm no surprised. It's your opinion.
Oga,omoboriowo vs ajasin is one of the most celebrated and cited precedents up till now,the law guiding that ruling has not been amended.the judges based their ruling on the laws except it changes.it can favor me today and work against me tomorrow.remember it worked against apc in zamfara and rivers.try and understand this.

if you study the political history before 2015,you will discover that the police and military have always been partisan and manipulated by the government.during the time of pdp and before,the social media or the media wasn't that strong,how many had phones or browsed in 2003? How many followed news? A lot of travesty went unnoticed but in this era,social media reportage is high so any little thing is reported and i daresay exaggerated.

It seems you didnt follow the imo elections well,i did.okorocha never supported hope,he supported his inlaw nwosu who contested under a.a.hope was like an orphan during the polls.most of the inec hierarchy in imo were answering to the orders of ihedioha.
As for rochas,he was leading pdp by about 30,000 votes but cancelled votes totalled 40 000.there was no way rochas wouldnt have won
Re: Ihedioha Hires Kanu Agabi SAN,29 Other Lawyers For Review by walexbiz(m): 3:49am On Feb 22, 2020
garfield1:

A laughing stock you mean to a layman like you? Nigerians lack legal education.can you quote any law where the supreme court contravened by declaring hope?

We may lack legal education but that doesn't mean we lack common sense

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Truth About Trump's Bible Photoshoot:Priest Teargassed to Make Way for Trump / - / Ikwere People Are Not Igbo —Andy Wabali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.