Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. (8499 Views)

Dele Momodu Writes Buhari, Says Nigerians Are Lamenting / How Nigerians Are Coping With Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Photos Of The 3,000 Nigerians Deported From Niger Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by edoyad(m): 6:30am On Dec 13, 2010
US deports 80 Nigerians weekly, says cleric From GBENGA ADESUYI,

Ibadan Sunday, December 12 , 2010

An American citizen Bishop Abiodun Mayungbo, at the weekend said no fewer than 380 Nigerians are being deported by the United States government every week over various offences, ranging from lack of relevant travelling papers, illicit trade and other offences. He said the American government has made available an aircraft that would carry all those who violate the country’ s regulation on immigration to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos, saying despite the humiliation, many young Nigerians still travel abroad without the necessary papers. Although the cleric agreed that the nation’s economy is bad, he said it’s growing. He said that there is still hope, adding that there was no need for youths to be hell bent on traveling, even when there are better opportunities for them in the country. Mayungbo, who is the founder of Bible Life Holiness Church in Ibadan, made the revelation at the weekend during a news conference he addressed on his latest book, entitled “How to live well abroad.” The cleric, who said he was one of the first set of Nigerians who won the USA Visa Lottery in 1994 , frowned at a situation where hundreds of Nigerians are being deported from foreign countries over various offences. He urged the government to intensify public campaigns that would discourage young Nigerians from travelling abroad in search of greener pasture. “I believe if young people must travel they must have relevant immigration documents, so that they would not go out there to mess themselves up,” he said. The cleric said: “There should be a forum to inform young people and guide them about travelling abroad. They should be told that there are no jobs abroad. They should think of what they can do here rather than travelling abroad for jobs that are not available.” Mayungbo noted that having travelled widely, the book was his contributions to guide Nigerians who are bent on travelling abroad on what it takes to live well abroad without running into trouble.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/dec/12/502.html
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Tcrack(m): 12:10pm On Dec 13, 2010
@moderators
the might want to change the topic from 380 to 80
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by GNBohr: 12:18pm On Dec 13, 2010
traveling abroad for many has become an obsession, it is war. in war you die or you conquer but to go to war require right strategies and tactics including appropriate arsenals.

the trouble with my people is that they travel abroad blindly and for the sake of traveling without a specific purpose other than the belief that abroad is better. so they end being conquered rather conquering.

i cant imagine somebody abandoning his job or business to travel to uncertainties abroad, or somebody able to raise 2 -3 million naira only yo use it in processing traveling papers without a specific cause of action or activity once abroad than to go and hustle. if he makes it, good luck, if he wastes away, good luck all the same.

but in reality nothing will stop youths from traveling abroad as long as the believe is that there is far better than here, it is like the saying that, it is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven. Nigerians will rather go to Europe and America to do demeaning jobs and hide their shame there than to remain in Nigeria and struggle for a living. At least it is like in our local parlance, "I live in Lagos does not reveal who lives under the bridge".

if you must travel abroad, have a purpose and be well prepared, do not believe what you hear or watch in the news or the report of those who live abroad, experience can never be the same. even the person who invites you over will be the first to eject you if you do not quickly begin to earn income. Please dont be fooled. Many have been fooled and are all over here abroad, regretting taking the flight that brought them over, of course life continues for them albeit in a bitterest manner.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Ruq: 12:18pm On Dec 13, 2010
Na wa for thiz mods oo! 80+300

But na wa sef 80 weekly its like they go Naija hunting to reach that quota weekly. I go still go even if dem dey deport
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Emmysteve(m): 12:20pm On Dec 13, 2010
I dont blame the u.s govt 4 der actions but d nig citizen who travel almost evry part of d continent în search of greaner pasture. Wat pain me d most is about those dat r traveling 2 "common" ghana 2 live der n return d ghanian govt will humiliate dem. Let dem stay back n find beta things 2do at home than traveling out n engaging in illegal activities. I'm sick n tired of the bad name.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by VERYANGRY(m): 12:30pm On Dec 13, 2010
oga bishop  weldone ooo!! we hear u,, u travelled to the usa in 1994 when the goin was still good, and now u re an american citizen,, so now u see how critical our dear nation is and all u could do is to find a way to stop young nigerian to go out there and look for a better life, why did u even travel to the usa? even if u have a reason why did u finally decide to reside there as in denouncing your country and pick up usa citizenship? abeg make we hear word jooo angry
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Blazay(m): 12:41pm On Dec 13, 2010
All from Southern Nigeria.

grin
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by tunyus(m): 12:47pm On Dec 13, 2010
VERY ANGRY:

oga bishop  weldone ooo!! we hear u,, u travelled to the usa in 1994 when the goin was still good, and now u re an american citizen,, so now u see how critical our dear nation is and all u could do is to find a way to stop young nigerian to go out there and look for a better life, why did u even travel to the usa? even if u have a reason why did u finally decide to reside there as in denouncing your country and pick up usa citizenship? abeg make we hear word jooo angry
thank  u my broda, I am also tired for the pastor o.what as a Man dat change its allegiance got to tell us here.if he is convince in himself dat naija is d place to realise ones dream he should av not naturalise to be an american in the first place,
So make the man go sit down make in no tell us rubish here o
F-k- pastor
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by kingvictor(m): 12:51pm On Dec 13, 2010
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Ruq: 1:14pm On Dec 13, 2010
Emmysteve:

I dont blame the u.s govt 4 der actions but d nig citizen who travel almost evry part of d continent în search of greaner pasture. Wat pain me d most is about those dat r traveling 2 "common" ghana 2 live der n return d ghanian govt will humiliate dem. Let dem stay back n find beta things 2do at home than traveling out n engaging in illegal activities. I'm sick n tired of the bad name.
na Dat ghana own dey vex me pass bunch of mofos!!!
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Princek12(m): 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2010
Good news. All those Naijas giving us a  bad name by engaging in nefarious or fraudulent activities overseas should be deported.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by bidemi12(m): 1:48pm On Dec 13, 2010
i swear. . . .i see no reason why anyone would want to live in the US without papers. Living here without papers is like beign a slave. . . . . .you are at the mercy of everyone. Naija govt. God punish all of una oooooo.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Princek12(m): 1:53pm On Dec 13, 2010
GNBohr:

traveling abroad for many has become an obsession, it is war. in war you die or you conquer but to go to war require right strategies and tactics including appropriate arsenals.

the trouble with my people is that they travel abroad blindly and for the sake of traveling without a specific purpose other than the belief that abroad is better. so they end being conquered rather conquering.

i cant imagine somebody abandoning his job or business to travel to uncertainties abroad, or somebody able to raise 2 -3 million naira only yo use it in processing traveling papers without a specific cause of action or activity once abroad than to go and hustle. if he makes it, good luck, if he wastes away, good luck all the same.

but in reality nothing will stop youths from traveling abroad as long as the believe is that there is far better than here, it is like the saying that, it is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven. Nigerians will rather go to Europe and America to do demeaning jobs and hide their shame there than to remain in Nigeria and struggle for a living. At least it is like in our local parlance, "I live in Lagos does not reveal who lives under the bridge".

if you must travel abroad, have a purpose and be well prepared, do not believe what you hear or watch in the news or the report of those who live abroad, experience can never be the same. even the person who invites you over will be the first to eject you if you do not quickly begin to earn income. Please dont be fooled. Many have been fooled and are all over here abroad, regretting taking the flight that brought them over, of course life continues for them albeit in a bitterest manner.

There is nothing wrong in desiring to travel abroad as long as (1) you have the immigration or residency documents that will enable you to achieve the goals for which you traveled, or (2) you intend to pursue an education and have the means to support that pursuit; (3) you will obey all the laws and refrain from 419 or unlawful activities; and (4) you have enough savings from which funds can be drawn to pay for any unforeseen situation.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Redman44(m): 2:03pm On Dec 13, 2010
Living in Europe and North America without papers is like mortgaging your future. There is no need to blame anyone here for travelling out of the country. Living in the western world for some years exposes you to a lot of things. You will be able to see how things are done properly and living in an organized society will rub off on you. Nigerians in Europe and America do not generally look out for each other. So you will also learn to strive and forage on your own. The painful thing is that most Nigerians who unfortunately get deported do not utilize the skills they have acquired abroad when they find themselves back in Nigeria [ That is is they had not been wasting their time engaging in fraud, aimless clubbing, and criminal activities while in Europe and America ]. Many Africans in Europe are living without papers and some of them have managed to turn their lives around dramatically. These success stories about undocumented migrants are mostly ignored by the Western Media. My advice to Nigerians abroad without papers is to find a way to work [ The nature of the job does not matter ], save up [ even though you might need to live like a Spartan ] and return to Nigeria. There are a lot of things you can achieve in your country. Don't give the law enforcement officers a chance to embarrass you in the long run. Thanks.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by edoyad(m): 3:01pm On Dec 13, 2010
^ live like a spartan ? Lol grin
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by bestsales1: 3:13pm On Dec 13, 2010
bidemi12:

i swear. . . .i see no reason why anyone would want to live in the US without papers. Living here without papers is like beign a slave. . . . . .you are at the mercy of everyone. Naija govt. God punish all of una oooooo.

on point!
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by scorpion1: 3:32pm On Dec 13, 2010
Good advices here and there. Those of our friends that live abroad on this forum, how did you travel abroad? Scholarship, or study or just vising? and you stayed put there. Its easier to advice people when you have not looked at your own situation.

As much as i dnt subscribe to people carrying on nefarious activities, the situation here in naija is BAD. I have also lived in the US before and i can tell you that no matter how bad, if you are a young man or woman, perhaps between 18-30 years, you still have a better chance of living a better life there. Dont let anyone discourage you. Try and get good documentation and i can tell you, the sky would be your limits there. There talents are appreciated and you can express yourself better.

Most of the time, those living abroad will discourage other people from coming there, so why are they still staying put there, if the place is so bad?

If i remember clearly, a lot of my friends living abroad now, went visiting, did they come back home? capital NO. To come and do what? SUFFER? Lailai. For those who want to travel, i can tell you that when you go at the beginning, life can be tough, if you persevere, a way would surely open for you. At least in US u can start with $5.00 per hour throwing paper, later you will settle into maybe getting into school and starting a new and possibly more promising future.

Please dont let anyone discourage you. Naija does not look like it at all. Strive, be honest and upright and i can guarantee you, if you spend 5 years in US and spend 5 years in Naija, US would definitely give you a better future.

Be strong and push ahead. Dont fret.

I rest my case.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by 123jml: 3:35pm On Dec 13, 2010
That is very Good i supported the us government why on earth our dudes want to live in a country that doesn't regard their races as anything for them anybody live in US been not a student or government representer as well let him deported back to his native land.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by 9dynasty(m): 3:41pm On Dec 13, 2010
o bobs that one nor mean say me i nor go still go the america ooo. if na only the weather and rest of mind e worth am abeg.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by edoyad(m): 4:01pm On Dec 13, 2010
Please what Country is columbus, ohio ? grin
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by dayokanu(m): 4:18pm On Dec 13, 2010
Well I wont blame those who struggle to travel abroad when they are in a country that stifles them

Last weekend I met a Nigerian Professor of Medicine who told me that before he left Nigeria in the Abacha days 1996-97.

He left Nigeria as a FUll Professor of Medicine and his salary was 10,000. Imagine If you spent many years getting to the level of a professor and your monthly salary was 10,000. A Professor with wife and children

Dont tell me in those days that cost of living was cheap cos Abacha days was not that long ago. The dollar was N70 to a dollar in Abacha times.

So the monthly salary of a Professor of Medicine was $143. Tell me how that kind of person wont run away even if its to do lesser jobs
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by calddon(m): 4:23pm On Dec 13, 2010
and how many do Nigerians Depot back to countries like NIGER and CHAD angry
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by edoyad(m): 4:29pm On Dec 13, 2010
Well I wont blame those who struggle to  travel abroad when they are in a country that  stifles them Last weekend I met a Nigerian Professor of  Medicine  who told me that before he left  Nigeria in the Abacha days  1996-97.  He left Nigeria as a FUll Professor of Medicine  and his salary was 10 ,000.  Imagine If you  spent many years getting to the level of a  professor and your monthly salary was 10 , 000.  A Professor with wife and children Dont tell me in those days that cost of living  was cheap cos Abacha days was not that long ago. The dollar was N70  to a dollar in Abacha  times. So the monthly salary of a Professor of  Medicine was $143.  Tell me how that kind of  person wont run away even if its to do lesser  jobs

That's why when i say OBJ is our best ever leader, i'm not just speaking from the blue. 3 or 4 years later OBJ brought some sanity in which is still improving till this day.

Personally, i don't see any reason why a young able bodied person should remain in Naija if he has nothing doing. GO OUT AND HUSTLE.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Omenani(m): 4:31pm On Dec 13, 2010
I do not blame Nigerians trying to come to the U.S. to make a better life for themselves. Let them travel to a nation that will appreciate their minds and not stifle them like in Nigeria.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by buzugee(m): 5:26pm On Dec 13, 2010
Omenani:

I do not blame Nigerians trying to come to the U.S. to make a better life for themselves. Let them travel to a nation that will appreciate their minds and not stifle them like in Nigeria.
edoyad:

That's why when i say OBJ is our best ever leader, i'm not just speaking from the blue. 3 or 4 years later OBJ brought some sanity in which is still improving till this day.

Personally, i don't see any reason why a young able bodied person should remain in Naija if he has nothing doing. GO OUT AND HUSTLE.
dayokanu:

Well I wont blame those who struggle to travel abroad when they are in a country that stifles them

Last weekend I met a Nigerian Professor of Medicine who told me that before he left Nigeria in the Abacha days 1996-97.

He left Nigeria as a FUll Professor of Medicine and his salary was 10,000. Imagine If you spent many years getting to the level of a professor and your monthly salary was 10,000. A Professor with wife and children

Dont tell me in those days that cost of living was cheap cos Abacha days was not that long ago. The dollar was N70 to a dollar in Abacha times.

So the monthly salary of a Professor of Medicine was $143. Tell me how that kind of person wont run away even if its to do lesser jobs
i think all your thinking is flawed. ok lets for a moment subscribe to your 'drivel', i am sure that there are over 100 million nigerians who will love to travel. so you are justifying other countries being bumrushed by 100 million nigerians ? and then lets assume that this actually happens and those countries (USA and UK) are reduced to third world status, as they will be with 100 million unruly africans. then lets assume that all the white people run away from the UK and USA and run to abandoned nigeria and then develop it as they know how and they turn nigeria into paradise while the USA and the UK turns to shyttt, then will you then encourage them all to run back to nigeria ? grin this game of chasing white people to wherever they are will continue until the earth explodes in armaggedon. are you starting to see the error in your thinking ? why not stay and develop what you have ? why are you guys hell bent on chasing white people everywhere they go ? what are ya ? their shadow ?
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by Kaponanty(m): 5:29pm On Dec 13, 2010
Once again. May God punish Nigeria govt 4 stifle Nigerian, youth ar living spartanly while our govt embezzle all our money, a graduate riding okada and u ar now complain 4 d migration abeggggy oga pastor (yiwo e soun).
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by nethacker(m): 5:39pm On Dec 13, 2010
this is just one out of millions of pple here. hv y'all heard abt "sanctuary cities" ? d immigration cant arrest any illegals in those cities.
make dat pastor go sitdon joorr.
i cant shout i no b CHINA fone oo grin grin
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by chic2pimp(m): 5:57pm On Dec 13, 2010
Redman44:

Living in Europe and North America without papers is like mortgaging your future. There is no need to blame anyone here for travelling out of the country. Living in the western world for some years exposes you to a lot of things. You will be able to see how things are done properly and living in an organized society will rub off on you. Nigerians in Europe and America do not generally look out for each other. So you will also learn to strive and forage on your own. The painful thing is that most Nigerians who unfortunately get deported do not utilize the skills they have acquired abroad when they find themselves back in Nigeria [ That is is they had not been wasting their time engaging in fraud, aimless clubbing, and criminal activities while in Europe and America ]. Many Africans in Europe are living without papers and some of them have managed to turn their lives around dramatically. These success stories about undocumented migrants are mostly ignored by the Western Media. My advice to Nigerians abroad without papers is to find a way to work [ The nature of the job does not matter ], save up [ even though you might need to live like a Spartan ] and return to Nigeria. There are a lot of things you can achieve in your country. Don't give the law enforcement officers a chance to embarrass you in the long run. Thanks.
True Words, . . . . . Lol @ Living like a Spartan grin grin grin
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by dayokanu(m): 5:59pm On Dec 13, 2010
buzugee:

i think all your thinking is flawed. ok lets for a moment subscribe to your 'drivel', i am sure that there are over 100 million nigerians who will love to travel. so you are justifying other countries being bumrushed by 100 million nigerians ? and then lets assume that this actually happens and those countries (USA and UK) are reduced to third world status, as they will be with 100 million unruly africans. then lets assume that all the white people run away from the UK and USA and run to abandoned nigeria and then develop it as they know how and they turn nigeria into paradise while the USA and the UK turns to shyttt, then will you then encourage them all to run back to nigeria ? grin this game of chasing white people to wherever they are will continue until the earth explodes in armaggedon. are you starting to see the error in your thinking ? why not stay and develop what you have ? why are you guys hell bent on chasing white people everywhere they go ? what are ya ? their shadow ?

All these one na theory, When you become a Professor of medicine and you earn $150 a month, Sit down there and give us those thories you are talking about
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by JUO(m): 6:01pm On Dec 13, 2010
listening
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by tpia1: 6:26pm On Dec 13, 2010
why are you guys hell bent on chasing white people everywhere they go ? what are ya ? their shadow ?

gosh this is too funny grin

talk about double-entendre.

not that we arent all suffering from our bad leadership, hard life, etc etc, though.

oyibo sef don see wen for our hand cheesy and vice versa.

did anyone hear about the guy kayaking in congo who got eaten by a crocodile? too sad. I really dont think people should navigate such a crocodile infested area without a weapon.
Re: 380 Nigerians Are Deported From The Us Every Week. by UNLEASHED(m): 6:44pm On Dec 13, 2010
Do Bishop Abiodun Mayungbo have something else to say? because this is not a better way to seek attention

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Condoles Fashola Over Father’s Death / Nigerians Made Huge Mistake Electing Buhari In 2015 – Segun Sowunmi / Osun Government Sensitises Herders On Anti-Open Grazing Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.