Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). (63897 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by proudly9ja(m): 11:12pm On Dec 15, 2010
And then when I come here and say some players are not committed they say Im looking for apology letter.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by debosky(m): 11:13pm On Dec 15, 2010
cou-gar:

debo, are you sure y'all are not overestimating vermaelen's ability here? he was fit last season when arsenal were shipping in goals like blackburn rovers. i don't think vermaelen is the ish at all. he is also prone to positional errors. he loves to get forward(possibly wenger's instruction). i actually think squillaci/koscielny have done really well considering arsenal's goalies and substandard and because your defensive midfielders offer no cover at all.

I am not overestimating his ability - what I've said is, someone with more experience in the EPL (over 30 games) playing alongside someone like Gallas during that period has gained a level of appreciation of the EPL that he can pass on. In addition, he was a potent goal threat as well.

Of course he's not the best defender since sliced bread, but I'd rate him above the current pairing and I feel his EPL experience would be invaluable, especially to help Koscielny.

I've said LK and SS have done OK considering the entire situation, but with TV fit, I think there would've been a better performance overall, based on his EPL experience - you cannot underestimate the effects of playing in a new league without much guidance around you.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by cougar1: 11:22pm On Dec 15, 2010
debosky:

I am not overestimating his ability - what I've said is, someone with more experience in the EPL (over 30 games) playing alongside someone like Gallas during that period has gained a level of appreciation of the EPL that he can pass on. In addition, he was a potent goal threat as well.

Of course he's not the best defender since sliced bread, but I'd rate him above the current pairing and I feel his EPL experience would be invaluable, especially to help Koscielny.

I've said LK and SS have done OK considering the entire situation, but with TV fit, I think there would've been a better performance overall, based on his EPL experience - you cannot underestimate the effects of playing in a new league without much guidance around you.

well, the league is not dead n buried yet. arsenal are still in the mix, so are chelsea, man city and even tottenham. arsenal can still get back to the pole position this weekend if they win and united manage to drop points at stamford bridge. injured players are getting back and wenger has better options on the bench these days than the last 3 seasons. it's up to the players at wenger's disposal to buckle up and challenge for the league title.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by debosky(m): 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2010
^^ That is my view as well.

I realise most Arsenal fans here are fed up and will nearly go over the edge with every poor performance, but I prefer to take a longer view. Let's see what Wenger can do with this side by May.

We are still in the mix and that is the most crucial statistic right now. In the CC semis, in the FA cup and in the CL (albeit with a potentially difficult draw).

That is not a bad position to be overall in the middle of December.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by kaypumpin2(m): 11:48pm On Dec 15, 2010
^^^^^
Our penchance for giving it all up in on week na hin dey give boys agro . grin

You see all this accumulated perceived success,it could all be gone in a jiffy;typical Arsenal style. grin

Seriously though,i see where you are coming from,this season particularly is a weird one and it may be twist and turn till the last day.

I am not ont he doom and gloom side,but i feel if this some personnel could just task themselves to be better,things will change.

PS:Though Clichy is useless o,but that midget Arshavin no dey help his case at all.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by cougar1: 11:53pm On Dec 15, 2010
gael clichy got no help from the russian owl and nani had acres of space to torment clichy. arshavin picks his moods. one moment, he is garrincha and the next moment he is bobolayefa edon. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by kaypumpin2(m): 12:17am On Dec 16, 2010
So tell me how a consistently pummelled Gael wouldn't be prone to madt glitches?After bursting his lungs to help in the attack in one moment,he's back trying to cover up in another moment without help.Not in anyway exonerating his staccato performances,but dude barely get helped.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by cougar1: 12:22am On Dec 16, 2010
kay_pumpin:

So tell me how a consistently pummelled Gael wouldn't be prone to madt glitches?After bursting his lungs to help in the attack in one moment,he's back trying to cover up in another moment without help.Not in anyway exonerating his staccato performances,but dude barely get helped.

clichy should be rested in the next few games. he needs rehab!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by proudly9ja(m): 1:34am On Dec 16, 2010
Good news:

Diaby and Djorou are back. Hope to see at least one of them back this weekend. I for one will rather see Diaby alongside Song instead of Denilson. Jack needs rest and against Stoke we need players who won't be bullied.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by duduspace(m): 1:51am On Dec 16, 2010
proudly9ja:

Good news:
Diaby and Djorou are back. Hope to see at least one of them back this weekend. I for one will rather see Diaby alongside Song instead of Denilson. Jack needs rest and against Stoke we need players who won't be bullied.

About time too, I think results will improve slightly in the long term with Diaby and I was quite worried cos some people were already saying his injury was career threatning. I hope he is available for Chelsea, I think we'll need him. Djorou wasn't away for long but he is good to have back cos we are the only ones still in all competitions.
I can't really understand why people are going overboard with a 1-0 loss to manure at OT, worrying we didn't muster much in attack and question marks over Arshavin, Clichy and Rozza but overall I think the team did reasonably well.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by hannie: 2:45am On Dec 16, 2010
na wa o o o . . .

nothing much has changed, just the same lame arguments here and there . . .

@Debosky

I detest it when u try to play smart with words . . .choose one out of the two, ARE OUR PLAYERS BELOW AVERAGE IN PERFORMANCE OR NOT ? IF YOU KNOW THOSE THAT ARE ABOVE, NAME THEM!!!

Gunners, let us not be deceived by these results, whilst there is much to hope for in the CC, all I see in the EPL is GLOOM and DOOM . . .I have always said it that we arent good marathon runners, for crying out loud, what personnel do u want to win the EPL with ? A team that played a lacklustre Manure team and still lost ?

Interestingly Rooney didnt even come to the party and our boys were gutless and couldnt pick a draw at worse ? seriously our game play wasnt bad but the general outlook leaves a lot to be desired . . .maybe I should just run player ratings . . .

Sceczcny - encouraging performance, Dudu will be proud of him.

Sagna - he should be harder on the opponent and shackle them like crazy before getting to close to the box, gentleman no dey again! grin his crosses have improved

Clichy - isnt he due his pension ? undecided

Squills - well . . .still doesnt know when to mop up for Kosileyin

Kosileyin - I doubt I will ever be impressed at his purchase, Yobo is better grin

Song - I have always said it that, Wenger is the one that wants to turn him into a modern day midfield maestro, with Wenger planning for Fab4's exit, he is just mumling jumbling things for himself . . .we need somebody to give Song a fight for his money

Wilshere - ur ori is fokasibe . . .though along the line he got bullied by Anderson, he also made Carrick realize that Capello wasnt there to make up the crowd numbers, but rather he's come to do some close assessment of one of the best things to ever come out of England.

Rosicky - This guy's time is up already at Arsenal, I love him pass my ex-girlfriend but TRUTH BE SAID, the guy cant win games single-handledly by himself, so what extra does he add to the team ?

Nasri - As long as Wenger continues using him on the wings, he will NEVER achieve his true potentials, this one be rocket science ? apart from that, dude has a long way to go with all the hype that surrounds him, when it gets to big games he has a way of freezing, only time I have seen him really upped his ante was against Manure in 2008.

Arshavin - how come Barca has not asked to buy him with all the pre-season noise of the summer ? this dude just dey waste that slot and is stunting development of other players in the team, dude adds little to the team, especially when he gets careless with possession, I don talk am tire say this guy no go perform at Arsenal, now Ibime agrees with me grin

Chamakh - people are waiting to see what I will write on him, sorry to disappoint u, I dont rate him highly and I have never expected him to trouble the defence of any big 4-6, this guy to me na disaster of a striker, me I play set well well, I play jeun jeun, I never see where striker go dey pass back and forth like Mikel and Denilson yet people go dey hail am say na him be the best striker wey don come out of Africa in a long while shocked

Walcott - A40 wouldnt be proud of u, u could have done better, but what do u say u want dude ? playing time ? oh u would soon have that son, just keep ur shoulders intact ! cool

FAB4
- If Fab wasnt played some people would have argued that his presence even if for 5 minutes would have changed the game, abeg my people make una open eye, begin dey compose departure songs, adieu types for Cesc make hin retire to him village at the age of 23 to Barca . . .what a pensioner! grin

RVP - Atimes this guy proves himself, atimes he just goes AWOL, he could have done a lot more better, dunno what the problem is, what I know is AW needs to start benching Chamakh already and give RVP and Bendtner playing time, with emphasis on 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 . . .its not rocket science, all those 4-3-3 to me is akin to playing 4-6-0 as Chamakh looks to me like a holding midfielder than a striker grin

Rubbish!

To the debate as to if Fergie or Mou would have done better with this team, we all know the difference, yes the truth!

AW is always in his comfort zone, no pressure, so if 2moro Stoke wins, there will be a ready made excuse . . .abeg lets take the CC more serious and take it up from there . . . cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by dipo2much(m): 6:51am On Dec 16, 2010
^^
You call this 'ratings'. You only described their performance. You didnt 'rate' anyting.

I am surprised ppl are 'excited' over the return of Diaby. Or is it another Diaby diff from the disastrous 'Mr Nobody-go-near-this-ball-and-i-no-go-pass'? I would hav preferd if Frimpong was the fit-again player.
Clichy has been a calamity all season. He isnt exactly good upfront and he is a shame at the back. Yet he plays a very sensitive position. I wonder if barca will still be interestd in him. Even Abidal couldnt perform worse. We need to get another left back,who and where from? thats the scouts duty. Gibbs may eventually be more suited for that arshavin position,dude is so confident and good with crosses,yet has defensive abilities. The problem this season has been easy to nail. Wenger prepared for injuries,but that Verm lay-off was wickedly ill-timed. We have four CBs. Two are experience in epl,one of the other two can be escribed as veteran and the last one is doing his best to fit in record time. I think thats sufficient. I dont buy the idea that we need a new CB. Why not buy a clinical striker? Hopefully,madrid take clichy and give us Benzino.
Yes,chamack should rest since Rvp is fit again.,but no,rosicky isnt ineffective. The back flanks are very sensitive positions. Clichy should go
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by Wordsmith(m): 7:26am On Dec 16, 2010
Yep, definitely agree. It's high time Clichy goes. . .
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by codedguy1(m): 11:06am On Dec 16, 2010
Cant understand how you guys seem to be pointing out all the flaws and remedies that shud be carried out on your pathetic team and yet were mouthing off like over excited banshees on heat.

Complaints of the coaches style, some players need to be sold, others retired, some not fit to done an Arse shirt, others are a calamity. ineffctive players, injuries, due for pension, careless with possession, stunted development. The list is endless.

How will all this characteristics assist in winning something, anything grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by dipo2much(m): 11:18am On Dec 16, 2010
we were simply supportin our team,a team we strongly believe in. Its not built around any individual player so even if there is one underperformer,we hope the team's overall performance can grind out a win when needed. The season newcastle got relegated,they were playin the worst football I have watched my whole life. Yet many fans came to their stadium to cheer their team and even hoped to win on every matchday. Now,newcastle in back and soaring high - repayin the fans for their support.
Thats a fan. One who has true FAITH in the team regardless of any situation.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by olodo(m): 11:25am On Dec 16, 2010
@ doc or weting be that your new name? good assessment of the boys  i also agree its time for clichy to gooooooooooooooo now, he has lost it. check out some of the goals we conceded this season he is responsible for almost half of the goals.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by proudly9ja(m): 1:27pm On Dec 16, 2010
Szczesny may stay in goal for Stoke test

By Richard Clarke

Wojciech Szczesny may continue in goal for Arsenal if Lukasz Fabianski fails to recover from a hip injury in time for the game against Stoke on Saturday.

The younger Pole made an eye-catching debut in the 1-0 defeat at Manchester United on Monday night. With Manuel Almunia picking up a fresh ankle problem and Fabianski struggling, his run may continue – something that will not trouble Wenger.

“We have to test [Lukasz] in next two days,” the manager told TV Online on Thursday morning. “He has a hip muscle injury.

“But Wojciech did well. People always questioned the goalkeeping position at Arsenal Football Club. But I always said we had four good goalkeepers – look at how well Vito Mannone is doing at Hull. We have plenty of quality.”

Otherwise the squad for Stoke will be very similar to the one employed at Manchester United. With one notable - and happy - exception.

“We have not lost anyone else,” said Wenger. “Nicklas Bendtner’s wife is in labour and he is due to be a father today or tomorrow. [/b]So I don’t know if I will involve him.

“But otherwise the injury news is looking quite positive. Abou Diaby is back in full training and is not far away. But the weekend is too early for him.

“Manuel Almunia has twisted his ankle but Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie are getting better and better. Also Thomas Vermaelen could be back in January [b]we think
.”
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by dipo2much(m): 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2010
^^
so are we now inflicting injuries on our own players deliberately? Alumnus now has a ankle injury? abeg,
Just tell us he has fallen down the ranks and we are talkin to spanish clubs to sell him to. Kini ni big deal,
Its good to here Mannone is doing well at hull. I havent seen much of a progress report about the italian. Congrats to Schezny. If he can put up another stellar performance,he just might be unbenchable. The guy is 2 inches shorter than Crouch,very admirable for a goalie
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by proudly9ja(m): 3:13pm On Dec 16, 2010
dipo2much:

^^
so are we now inflicting injuries on our own players deliberately? Alumnus now has a ankle injury? abeg,
Just tell us he has fallen down the ranks and we are talkin to spanish clubs to sell him to. Kini ni big deal,

Its good to here Mannone is doing well at hull. I havent seen much of a progress report about the italian. Congrats to Schezny. If he can put up another stellar performance,he just might be unbenchable. The guy is 2 inches shorter than Crouch,very admirable for a goalie

It highlights what Ive been saying about AW. The guy is too weak! Simple
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by Nobody: 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2010
Dayokanu is another Becomerich on this Arsenal thread cheesy cheesy cheesy
The man with no brain since nothing sensible or reasonable comes out from there grin grin.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by duduspace(m): 4:39pm On Dec 16, 2010
dipo2much:

^^

He has actually done well at Hull, now taken over the gloves and has improved them with some clean sheets and impressive saves during his short stay.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by debosky(m): 5:21pm On Dec 16, 2010
proudly9ja:

It highlights what Ive been saying about AW. The guy is too weak! Simple

Wenger is weak because he won’t say I benched so and so for poor form?

That isn’t and will never be his style - Wenger prefers to fabricate non-existent injuries or blame it on the dead grandmother instead. grin

Wenger is weak but yet eased out Almumu completely based on a grazed elbow?? cheesy

Wenger is weak but eased out Lauren for Eboue without a second thought? Wenger is weak but benched Henry from late Feb till he sold him claiming he’d be out for the season with an unspecified injury?

Wenger is not weak, he is simply stubborn - if he believes in a player, he will stick by that player 100% regardless of what the press or fans say.

That’s why he’s stuck by Clichy and Song for so long, and that’s why Denilson and Diaby are still at the club.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by dayokanu(m): 5:24pm On Dec 16, 2010
Duduspace,

Not too long ago, you told us coherently how Man Utd was finished and Arsenal is now better than them.

Can you now rationalise Monday nights result and given the domination of the past two years, I would be interested in how your theory would sound now
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by debosky(m): 5:41pm On Dec 16, 2010
hannie:

na wa o o o . . .

nothing much has changed, just the same lame arguments here and there . . .

@Debosky

I detest it when u try to play smart with words . . .choose one out of the two, ARE OUR PLAYERS BELOW AVERAGE IN PERFORMANCE OR NOT ? IF YOU KNOW THOSE THAT ARE ABOVE, NAME THEM!!!

I’ll name a few:

Cesc’s performance hasn’t been up to his usual standards, ditto for RVP and Arshavin in recent games. However, would a dip in form be a reason to sell? No.

On the other hand, Koko and Squillaci are not underperforming, by lumping them together, they are doing as best as could be expected under the current circumstances.

In case you didn’t understand, the issue is NOT with underperformance, it is a matter of quality. A rear wheel drive automatic struggling in the snow is not underperforming, it wasn’t designed for that. If a 4x4 with snow tires is struggling in the snow, then it is underperforming.

In our case, Almunia is a 1990 Honda Legend, while Reina is a 5 series BMW, so don’t compare their performances. grin

To the debate as to if Fergie or Mou would have done better with this team, we all know the difference, yes the truth!

AW is always in his comfort zone, no pressure, so if 2moro Stoke wins, there will be a ready made excuse . . .abeg lets take the CC more serious and take it up from there . . . cool

Do you have a Fergie or JM ready to sign as Arsenal manager? If, not throw this silly and pointless debate aside.

The real issue is to give JM and Fergie a near negative transfer budget for 4 seasons and tell me how many trophies they’d have won.

The data does not lie - the biggest spenders at the top continue to win trophies.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by proudly9ja(m): 6:09pm On Dec 16, 2010
Wenger is weak but yet eased out Almumu completely based on a grazed elbow?? Cheesy

Wenger is weak but eased out Lauren for Eboue without a second thought? Wenger is weak but benched Henry from late Feb till he sold him claiming he’d be out for the season with an unspecified injury?

Wenger is weak. Call it what you like. He cannot look his players eyeball to eyeball and tell them they are underperforming!
You said he benched Almunia? Did he really? after how many seasons of not being able to bench him?
And in case you have forgotten, Henry was actually injured that season. The few times he played in that period he massively underperformed. Infact if I remember correctly, his first year in Barca was plagued with injuries. So no Arsene DARE NOT bench a fit Henry. Yes I said it.

Arsene confessed himself the reason he played Fabregas in the game we lost to Spurs (not sure if it was that game, but it was the last game he played before the recent injury) was because Fabregas told him he was fit and he couldn't bench him. Yes that's Arsene's confession. He can't bench his fit captain. He is weak.

Same reason he cannot bench Clichy for Gibbs even when Gibbs is fit. Imagine, Almunia was back a few days ago but simply because he is scared of keeping Almunia on the bench while Scezcezny is on the pitch, he had to come up with the injury fable again.

The real issue is to give JM and Fergie a near negative transfer budget for 4 seasons and tell me how many trophies they’d have won.

The data does not lie - the biggest spenders at the top continue to win trophies.
Lol, @this. AW disagrees with you. Money doesn't bring success.
But then again, you should know that this is also not TOTALLY true. We have failed seasons past because AW refused to buy that extra 1 or 2 players that would make a difference and that's cos of his stubborness and weakness. The season we came second on the table (cant remember which), everyone except AW knew we needed a defender in January. But his stubborness stopped him from buying/loaning one. That season, we lost Gallas and ended up playing Song in CB position.
Another season we needed a striker to at least be loaned in January. Nope, not Wenger. We ended up with Arshavin as top man in a 4-5-1 formation. And all these have nothing to do with hind sight. If I can Il dig up NL threads for those periods and show how a few 'people with vision' highlighted our deficiences.

Look at this season again, inspite of DJ20's performances so far, AW would rather tell us he is injured instead of dropping one of Squill or Kos for him (except in the CC).

Abeg, the issue has not been money. Let's stop defending that guy. The issue has been him not seeing what everyone sees.

As for JM and SAF, at least you agree that given the same squad they will give better results.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by dipo2much(m): 6:13pm On Dec 16, 2010
Big spending guarantees top quality players. Having acquired such players,a good coach moulds a strong team and is better positioned to win silverware. You can have world class players and still not even be good as a team. Wenger,in recent years,hasnt been in a position to make £20M signings like manu,chelse,city and the rest have. On his relativlely low transfer kitty,he has tried successfully to keep arsenal among england's top teams. Its a no-brainer that JM, Fergie and whoever you can name CANT keep a team like arsenal in the top four consistently in a league like england's with a small transfer budget. Tottenham have spent heavily in recent years,and have only broken into the top four once in those years. City will be contended to finish in arsenal's worst finish in all these 'trophyless years' the mor0ns keep talkin of,yet City have spent outrageously. Lets not even talk liverpool,I'm tired of that example.
Wenger sure deserves more credit than he is getting.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by slimshay(m): 8:02pm On Dec 16, 2010
Na wa o. All these from a balanced game that happened to be edged by the home team?

Perspective ma scarce oh.

Abeg wake me just before next match jare.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by debosky(m): 9:27pm On Dec 16, 2010
proudly9ja:

Wenger is weak. Call it what you like. He cannot look his players eyeball to eyeball and tell them they are underperforming!
You said he benched Almunia? Did he really? after how many seasons of not being able to bench him?

Almunia became a regular in 07/08. In 08/09 he was benched for a period, but Fabianski's rubbish form caused him to be brought back. Last season he was benched also, but the rubbish form of Fabianski played into his hands again.

Given that history, I don't know of the 'how many seasons' you're talking about - your bellyaching is not factual as Wenger has benched Almunia a number of times, only to resort to playing him when the replacements cocked up.

Again, maybe you don't understand what under performing is - Almunia cannot do better than he did, so he performed to the best of his ability. What is this so called 'looking eyeball to eyeball' going to do? Will it make him a better keeper?

And in case you have forgotten, Henry was actually injured that season. The few times he played in that period he massively underperformed. Infact if I remember correctly, his first year in Barca was plagued with injuries. So no Arsene DARE NOT bench a fit Henry. Yes I said it.

Henry was injured from February to May? With what injury? How on earth did AW know Henry would be injured till the end of the season in February? It was so clear he had decided to bench Henry and 'trial' how his team would fare without TH, given he had become a disruptive influence.

Henry was injured with 'stomach injuries' till the end of the season - and you can't perceive that Wenger decided to bench him? grin grin grin

Arsene confessed himself the reason he played Fabregas in the game we lost to Spurs (not sure if it was that game, but it was the last game he played before the recent injury) was because Fabregas told him he was fit and he couldn't bench him. Yes that's Arsene's confession. He can't bench his fit captain. He is weak.

What nonsense - the reason you don't bench Fabregas is because of his quality, not because the manager is weak. Besides, Wenger is so weak that he didn't start Fab4 on Monday, or wasn't he fit then?

Same reason he cannot bench Clichy for Gibbs even when Gibbs is fit. Imagine, Almunia was back a few days ago but simply because he is scared of keeping Almunia on the bench while Scezcezny is on the pitch, he had to come up with the injury fable again.

He is scared of keeping Almunia on the bench, yet he keeps him out of the side right? You're not being rational. The truth is, everyone knows that Wenger says one thing but does another. You don't listen to what he says, you look at what he does.

It is not fear of anything, it is Wenger's way of putting all the blame on himself and distracting people who aren't perceptive.

On the Gibbs issue, how many games does the boy play before he gets injured? Let Gibbs stay fit for two games in a row and see if he won't take Clichy's place. Clichy is only still playing because of Gibbs injuries.

Lol, @this. AW disagrees with you. Money doesn't bring success.

Refer to the above - anyone listening to Wenger's spin needs to get his head examined. Look at what he does.

But then again, you should know that this is also not TOTALLY true. We have failed seasons past because AW refused to buy that extra 1 or 2 players that would make a difference and that's cos of his stubborness and weakness. The season we came second on the table (cant remember which), everyone except AW knew we needed a defender in January. But his stubborness stopped him from buying/loaning one. That season, we lost Gallas and ended up playing Song in CB position. Another season we needed a striker to at least be loaned in January. Nope, not Wenger. We ended up with Arshavin as top man in a 4-5-1 formation. And all these have nothing to do with hind sight. If I can Il dig up NL threads for those periods and show how a few 'people with vision' highlighted our deficiences.

Two questions - was he simply 'stubborn' or was there no money to buy players? Again, don't listen to what he says, look at what he does.

Even if he bought extra players, there is no assurance that would've gotten the title - claiming/believing/seeing visions of two players solving the problems is not the same as it actually happening.

Look at this season again, inspite of DJ20's performances so far, AW would rather tell us he is injured instead of dropping one of Squill or Kos for him (except in the CC).

So he is scared of players he just bought also?? cheesy Dude your comments are becoming more ridiculous.

Wenger is stubborn - that is the fact. All top coaches are stubborn - that is why they succeed. Wenger believes in Koscielny and will only give up on him in his own time, not based on what outsiders observe.

Abeg, the issue has not been money. Let's stop defending that guy. The issue has been him not seeing what everyone sees.

Yet the FACTS show that winning trophies is DIRECTLY linked to winning titles. You can't argue with the history of winners of the EPL, especially since 2005.

As for JM and SAF, at least you agree that given the same squad they will give better results.

I never said that - what I said is, the hypothetical question is completely pointless. If we are talking about another coach getting better results, it must be someone who we can replace Wenger with. I am not interested in idle conjecture.

None of you know what Wenger says in the secrecy of Colney - and that is EXACTLY how he wants it. He keeps tight control of his empire and lets no one in. His comments are PURE SPIN - intended to make people come to erroneous conclusions almost all the time. To come here and say he can't 'eyeball' his players who are underperforming is absolute nonsense.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by proudly9ja(m): 10:31pm On Dec 16, 2010
This has nothing to do about replacing AW. I said it earlier that I DO NOT want him replaced because I feel he deserves more than he is getting from his players.
I brought in the SAF and JM names simply because I know and strongly believe that this same team/squad can do far better than they are doing. And the reason why things are the way they are is because of AW weakness if you like you can call it stubborness (infact calling stubborness sounds more like stupidity to me and I refuse to think AW is stupid. Why else would you continue being 'stubborn' and use a payer when everytime the guy who plays in his stead in some matches plays, he does far better?).

And if anyone thinks this has something to do with the United game alone, then there's a problem somewhere. Is it not funny that season in season out we keep having the same arguements and we keep delivering the same results?

I don't want to go over some of the points u made cos your facts are totally wrong especially the Henry issue. I can give you the matches he played for Arsenal that period and the ratings he got. He was not fit that season whether physically or mentally, similar thing is happening to Cesc this season. Cesc did not start against Manchester United because Cesc himself said he was not ready to start the game. I can give you references if you want. But let's put that aside.

Again I repeat, we have messed up past five seasons not because we failed to buy big name players but because Wenger kept up with mediocrity for far too long. Loaning/buying one player will not cost £100M. We are not asking for Christiano Ronaldo for goodness sakes neither have we asked for Messi! When Flamini left, did we not have the option of buying the Liverpool DM for almost free? Did AW not let us endure a full season of Song learning the ropes?

Look there's no point arguing cos we've been doing this for years now and I envisage we might do this again next season. Il only summarise. Wenger's weakness (or stubborness whatever you call it) is not working. We all have been witnesses to it in seasons past.
A coach that cannot bench his 'underperforming' players is weak not stubborn. Arshavin is not playing to the best of his abilities. Bench him and try someone else, let him watch from the bench, don't come and tell us he is injured. Thats weakness! When you do that you send a signal to the players and fans that you don't tolerate mediocrity
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by proudly9ja(m): 10:32pm On Dec 16, 2010
Abeg I tire to dey go back and forth. No need. Let's change topic.

Next match is in two days, we win and we go top of table.

I strongly believe Blackpool will surprise Manchester United in their outstanding game.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by hannie: 10:55pm On Dec 16, 2010
proudly9ja:

This has nothing to do about replacing AW. I said it earlier that I DO NOT want him replaced because I feel he deserves more than he is getting from his players.
I brought in the SAF and JM names simply because I know and strongly believe that this same team/squad can do far better than they are doing. And the reason why things are the way they are is because of AW weakness if you like you can call it stubborness (infact calling stubborness sounds more like stupidity to me and I refuse to think AW is silly. Why else would you continue being 'stubborn' and use a payer when everytime the guy who plays in his stead in some matches plays, he does far better?).

And if anyone thinks this has something to do with the United game alone, then there's a problem somewhere. Is it not funny that season in season out we keep having the same arguements and we keep delivering the same results?

I don't want to go over some of the points u made cos your facts are totally wrong especially the Henry issue. I can give you the matches he played for Arsenal that period and the ratings he got. He was not fit that season whether physically or mentally, similar thing is happening to Cesc this season. Cesc did not start against Manchester United because Cesc himself said he was not ready to start the game. I can give you references if you want. But let's put that aside.

Again I repeat, we have messed up past five seasons not because we failed to buy big name players but because Wenger kept up with mediocrity for far too long. Loaning/buying one player will not cost £100M. We are not asking for Christiano Ronaldo for goodness sakes neither have we asked for Messi! When Flamini left, did we not have the option of buying the Liverpool DM for almost free? Did AW not let us endure a full season of Song learning the ropes?

Look there's no point arguing cos we've been doing this for years now and I envisage we might do this again next season. Il only summarise. Wenger's weakness (or stubborness whatever you call it) is not working. We all have been witnesses to it in seasons past.
A coach that cannot bench his 'underperforming' players is weak not stubborn. Arshavin is not playing to the best of his abilities. Bench him and try someone else, let him watch from the bench, don't come and tell us he is injured. Thats weakness! When you do that you send a signal to the players and fans that you don't tolerate mediocrity

I agree with u wholeheartedly in almost all of what u have said jare . . .leave Debo to continue spinning issues grin Whether AW is weak or stubborn, the fact remains he is definitely doing so many things wrong ! what I agree however with Debo on is that Henry was benched just so AW will 'trial' his team, he's done it countless times, he did it with Lauren, did it with Henry, and I suspect very soon he will sit FAB4 on the bench, fit or unfit as most prolly he will leave for Barca and he has to prepare for life after FAB4 in his team, methinks that explains why he is pushing Song more upfront whilst building the cojones in Wilshere in a more defensive position . . .

That said, Wenger had money in the past couple of seasons to buy/loan, he refused to. so we need to stop talking about 'almost negative transfer budget' . . .when he was selling the Toures and Adebayors of the world didnt he know he should replace them with like for like or even better players ? undecided

Wenger's last 5 years have been a movie on how to plan for failure . . .Arsenal have become so predictable, still wondering how we have been able to let Wenger get all this slack as fans grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). by dipo2much(m): 11:17pm On Dec 16, 2010
AW has got so many things wrong in the past few years. Lettin certain players go,not adequately preparin for injuries and been too shrewd in the transfer market. But is that really sufficient to call for his head? why throw the baby away along with the water. Wenger made Arsenal what it is today. Arsenal wouldnt have been any better than Everton or Aston Villa if not for him. And even with the inadequacies of the team,we are still a respected side. Any team that understimates us does that at itw peril. We will come good eventually. But I admit we MUST sign established players. We just have to. If not,there wont be any silverware.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (100)

Arsenal Vs Chelsea: Community Shield (4 - 1) penalties On 6th August 2017 / Real Madrid Vs Barcelona : El Clasico (2 - 0) On 1st March 2020 / Strictly Chelsea Talk:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.