Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly (19397 Views)

Which Of These 4 Soups Would You Remove Forever? (pictures) / Which Of These 3 Meals Would You Remove Forever? (Pictures) / Do You Need Boys To Serve Food And Drinks And Wash Plates After An Event (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by jpilata(m): 12:45pm On Feb 10, 2020
HOW TO REMOVE THE SNAILS FROM THEIR SHELLS

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

How to remove the snails from their shells.

Tools needed

•You will need a hard blunt object for breaking the shells of the snails.

•You will need a pointed object to push the snail out of the shell.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

There are almost 3 main methods of removing snails from their shells.

Method 1
•Soak the snails in hot water.
This method is very easy and it involves using hot water to soak your snails. Soak the snails in hot water, let them sit for a few minutes, then use a fork or long sharp object to pierce the snail from its mouth and pull it out from its shell. This method lubricates the interior of the shells and enables the snails to easily slip out. This method keeps the snail shell intact and available for future decorations opportunities. This method also soften the snail meat.

Method 2
•Cracking and removing.
This method is very effective and it involves the cracking/breaking the shell of the snail with any hard blunt object or a stone into pieces, and bring it out. Remove the tiny pieces of shells at the point where the snail attaches itself to the shell. Be careful when doing this because those tiny shells can be very sharp. Remove the snail’s intestines and feel the snail with your fingers to make sure there are no tiny shells left behind.
Note: If you break the whole shell into pieces, the resulting tiny shells may be stuck on the snail and these are difficult to remove because of the slime. So avoid breaking the shell completely as much as possible.
Note also, With this method, the shell is not saved for future decoration.

Method 3
•Crack and pull method
This method involves using any hard blunt object to hit/crack on the pointed end/tail of the shell. Then use a pointed tool/sharp object to push the snail till it comes off the other end or to pull the snail out of the shell from its mouth.
Note also, With this method, the shell is not saved for future decoration.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Repeat the method of choice for the rest of the snails and place them in a bowl.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by jpilata(m): 12:47pm On Feb 10, 2020
HOW TO WASH THE SNAIL SLIME

Snails have a very sticky substance known as snail slime that we must remove before using the snails in our cooking. Removing this slime makes it stressing and discourages some from cooking it.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

You can wash your snail slime with any of the following items:
1. Salt
2. Garri
3. Lime
4. Lemon
5. Alum
6. Hot water

1. Salt
Salt has an abrasive property that is why it is used to remove snail slime. Simply pour lots of salt into a bowl of shelled snails. Rub the salt on the snails till the slime is gone. This method is not recommended, especially when you are cleaning large quantity of snails, as the abrasive property can affect your hands.

2. Garri
Garri is Nigerian grain staple food used in preparing Eba [Swallow]. Garri works the same way as salt. Pour lots of Garri grains on a bowl of shelled snails and rub till the slime is gone. Garri is quite expensive [in most areas] and is essential commodity if you live outside Nigeria.

3. Lime
The acid in lime juice attacks snail slime and cleans up the snail quickly.

4. Lemon
Though lime and lemon have acidic properties, but I found out that lemon is more efficient than lime. Maybe lemon’s acid is more active than that of lime. You can see the slime curdle almost as soon as you sprinkle lemon juice on the snails. Lemon is the most efficient of all the items that remove snail slime especially when you are cleaning a large volume of snails.

5. Alum
This is the most effective of all the items that can remove snail slime. It gives the snails a squeaky clean. It takes a lot of hard work though and it is not as efficient at cutting the slime as lemons especially at the beginning when the slime is still very thick and concentrated.

6. Hot water
Boiled/hot water can be used to remove slime from snail. The water is poured on the snails, but I do not use this method, because pouring away the water would be depleting the nutrients that the snails contain and also this method does not give the crunchy sound it produces while chewing. Though its very fast and effective, it still requires the left over slime to be cleaned using any of the above mentioned items.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Removing the snail slime (using lemon and alum)

The following steps will guide you through the process of cleaning

1. Cut the lemons into two equal parts and set aside. For 10 big snails, you will need about 3 juicy lemons. You can use 20 big lemons to watch 150 snails.

2. While the juice is attacking the slime, use the knife to scrape off the brown stains on the white parts of the snail.

3. Then use the cut lemons to scrub the snails all over till all the slime is gone. Even before you do this, you will notice that the snail slime is no longer that slimy.

4. Bring out the alum ready for use. A piece of alum is enough for 10 snails.

5. When done, rinse and continue with alum. Concentrate on rubbing the alum in the parts where the lemons did not reach. Spread the tongue of the snail and rub the alum in there.

6. When it feels squeaky clean, rinse very well in plenty of water.

7. Cut the tongue of the snail and clean the exposed area with alum.

8. Rinse again in plenty of cool water to remove all traces of alum from the snails. Once you rinse very well, the alum will not change the taste of the snail.

That is why I use a combination of lemon and alum (efficiency and effectiveness) for a squeaky clean result.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Removing the snail slime with only (alum)

After unshelling the snails, wash the first slime off with alum twice and rinse, then put the snail in bowl and continue washing.

To clean the snails, you start by rubbing the alum or any of the above following items, over the snail, to rub every corner of the snail properly, on the outside and inside. It is important to massage every inch of the snail, especially the hinges on the outside of the snail.

Once you are done cleaning, rinse off the snails with cold water and check for residual slime. You should feel the snail's texture and no hints of smoothness.

Used your knife to split the snail like a butterfly split with the two parts still joined (to cut open the snail into two equal parts depending on the size of the snail.

Once satisfied that all the slime is gone, rinse very well with ordinary water.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Things to note

•Washing your snails with lime is the good, because it removes the slime and still retains the original snail flavour.

•Cleaning your snail with alum is the most common method.

•Washing the snail with alum will change the taste and make it to soft after a while.

•Cleaning the snail meat with alum is the faster means of removing the snail slime, but it also affect taste and texture of the snail.

•For a perfect washing, you can combine alum and lime to wash it.

•Washing the snail with hot water, will soften it and make it not to be crunchy.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by jpilata(m): 12:53pm On Feb 10, 2020
To have full details on how to prepare your snails, visit our blog link below:

https://foodresearchkitchen..com/2020/02/peppered-snail-recipe.html?m=1

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Notice! Notice!! Notice!!!

To have comprehensive knowledge on how to rear snails or to start up your snail farming business, just send a messages, "INTERESTED" to my Whatsapp with the following link:

https:///2348064132752

1 Like

Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by picked(m): 1:04pm On Feb 10, 2020
You are good
Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 10, 2020
I love snail.
Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by Ddone4: 6:44am On Feb 11, 2020
okorotalkative:
I love snail.
You can get snail delivered to you. You can check www.daydone.com.ng/product.php?40
Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by bamboke(f): 5:59am On Jun 28, 2020
Hello, please I would like to ask.

Why would the snails turn yellow after washing or did I wash too much?

I also used salt after usi g alum, then all became suddenly slimy again

Please advise me. Thank you
Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by Moboj: 7:59pm On Jun 29, 2020
bamboke:
Hello, please I would like to ask.

Why would the snails turn yellow after washing or did I wash too much?

I also used salt after usi g alum, then all became suddenly slimy again

Please advise me. Thank you
For the Snail turning yellow part,there's a part of the snail that looks like ring round the snail meat,use your finger to remove the dirts from there first,it's yellow...
If you want to use a combination of salt and alum,use salt to extract the first thick slime,then Alum to wash,it solidifies the meat and the slime,then use salt again,it makes it slippery again,pour the star away,don't put too much water when you're doing it,pour new water repeat the process,when you're done use Alum again to solidify and bring out any slime lurking,wash well,then use salt again to turn the texture of the meat from being study to being soft,you'll notice it's a mix of soft/sturdy and not slippery.Don't forget that in between the process of using the salt,use only water
Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by Moboj: 8:02pm On Jun 29, 2020
The real work is in the washing
You can check my profile for affordable neatly washed snails.
I'm in Lagos.
Re: How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly by Ikeoluwacotez(f): 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
solution to blur vision
click for the solution
https://www.nairaland.com/5959204/solution-clear-vision#91209073

(1) (Reply)

Let's Do The #SoupChallenge / How To Make Yam Balls / "Poisonous" Jack And Jill Biscuits Message Is A Hoax

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.