Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,743 members, 7,844,441 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? (11737 Views)

How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / True Story Of How Women Get Their Husbands Into Trouble / Should Working Wives Share Household Expenses With Their Husbands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? by banni: 9:00am On May 22, 2008
It not at all common in Nigeria.
However,the payment of dowry is nothing more then symbolic.Apart from a few cultures in Nigeria and the rest of the world ,payment of dowry is at best a few items and some loose change.
There are quite a few countries in the world which charge the women.I think from the top of my head -India and lots of eastern european countries do this.
A few of them charge a hefty fee like some Nigerian tribes charge the men likewise.
However for most its symbolic.They say its their parents way of been happy that the woman lives the house and stop been a money burden on the family.
But truth be told this is all symbolic and just a way of respecting the culture and should not be seen at all in modern time as a way of buying the other person.
Funny to see some girls posting have a problem with this.
Re: Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? by sweetnekys: 4:32pm On Jun 15, 2009
The only funny thing is that Indians you poeple always using as an example is Hindu by religion while nigerians are christains and muslems , it is even writing in the bible that a husband is the head of the family while the wife is his helper , so for woman paying dowry of a man ,is she now a head of the family or will she still a helper? Now India paid for their husbands because they r still blind uptill today and they always belive in marriage arrangment by their parents and if u insist of doing it ur own way they will disowned you.
You cant even belive that the husband doesnt reguard their wivies because he didnt allow to marry his choice , so they always marrying to have kids and nothing more , even a woman still dont have freedom in the house given them by her parents as her settlement after paying the dowry of the husband and she will always accept any condition with happiness because they dont know God and accept anything the way they see it.
So i pity any nigeria man that allows a woman to pay his dowry because you know what it means for a woman spending her own money for the family not to talk of using her money to pay for a man dowry , i mean so sorry for the man because the man is no longer the head of the family but a sarvant of the house, As you can see that nigeria is civilisedmore than all the Assian countries who doesnt know their left and right , please try to be the provider of the family if you really want to be the head of the family if not women will now be the head of the family if they allowed to pay dowry for the men.
Re: Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? by biola44: 5:28pm On Jun 15, 2009
i heard a tribe in edo does dis, i heard
Re: Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? by Ndipe(m): 10:27pm On Jun 15, 2009
It's expected for Indian women to pay dowry to their men to marry them. Some of them even get burnt to death if they default on the dowry payment.
Re: Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? by bawomolo(m): 3:27am On Jun 16, 2009
Ndipe:

It's expected for Indian women to pay dowry to their men to marry them. Some of them even get burnt to death if they default on the dowry payment.

someone has been watching too much oprah grin
Re: Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? by Jellitah: 11:27am On Feb 05, 2013
Re: Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? by Jellitah: 11:29am On Feb 05, 2013
Re: Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? by 40fied(m): 3:45am On Mar 26, 2013
anugirl: Sorry to say, but I dislike those people because they have no respect for their women. They are uncivilised! Women are the best creatures of God. The so-called male gender should accept that we (women) represent the earth, so we are to be honored. rolleyes
wtf?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Girls More Difficult To Train Than Boys? / John Fashanu's Daughter Reveals Grim Family Secret / Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.