Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,515 members, 7,861,474 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:53 PM

Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn (590 Views)

Nigeria To Tap $37 Billion Market As Firm Confirms Lithium Deposits / I Need $36bn To Construct Railway Nationwide - Amaechi / EFCC: Female Minister Laundered $37 Million Through Property Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by dipoolowoo: 9:45am On Feb 12, 2020
By Dipo Olowookere

There is an unease among observers of the Nigerian economy over the fast rate the nation’s external reserves are declining in recent times.

Recall that last month, Business Post raised an alarm over the issue and projected that it was only a matter of few days before the reserves fall below $38 billion and hit the $37 billion region.

Days after our report, the account, which holds foreign earnings generated by Nigeria as well as issued Eurobonds, has reduced and as at the close of business on Monday, February 10, 2020, what is left is about $37.4 billion, going by data obtained by Business Post from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

It was observed that the reserves went down to its present level from $37.6 billion last Friday and $37.7 billion last Thursday.
ALSO READ European Markets Rise as Spanish Stocks Fall Amid Political Tumour

As at January 31, 2020, what was held in the account was $38.0 billion and by Monday, February 3, 2020, it had dropped to $37.8 billion. It means in less than two weeks in the month of February 2020, the foreign reserves have declined by about $600 million.

The recent decline in the price of crude oil at the international market has not helped Nigeria’s determination to generate more revenue. The commodity has been the main source of foreign earnings for the largest producer of oil in Africa. The country also prides itself as the giant of continent with also the largest economy.
ALSO READ Economy Slips Into Negative GDP Growth

In the 2020 budget, the federal government fixed oil benchmark at $57 per barrel, with production of crude oil at over 2 million barrel per day.

However, the deadly coronavirus has put a dent to these projections, with the Brent, under which Nigeria’s oil is priced, is selling below $54 per barrel, while the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) has taken steps to ask its members to further reduce the volume of oil they produce in order to keep prices higher.

It is being speculated that Nigeria may be forced to further cut its present output cap of 1.7 million barrels per day if the proposed 600,000 barrels per day additional ceiling is agreed by members of the cartel.
ALSO READ NSE Expects Strong Stock Market Performance in 2020

At the moment, Russia, one of the key members of the group, is not okay with this decision, leaving the commodity to continue to bleed at the global market.

If prices continue to trade down and the CBN maintains its weekly intervention at the local foreign exchange market, the reserves will continue to dry up and may pull the country into another recession in five years. The apex bank may also be forced to devalue the Naira, which the present government of President Muhammadu Buhari is opposed to.

For now, observers will continue to watch and see the direction things go.

https://businesspost.ng/economy/worry-as-nigerias-external-reserves-head-to-36bn-now-37-4bn/

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 12, 2020
So long as oil prices stay low, the reserve is going to keep on falling.

Either oil goes above $100 or we keep on talking about that new loan from Christine and company

1 Like

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by khingTony(m): 9:49am On Feb 12, 2020
Dead President

Oil prices will keep declining, the planet's need for oil is decreasing, and in the near future, Oil will sell for as low as $20-$30, what will then be the state of This Nation?

It's time to diversify the Economy, and it's not done by Closing Borders, The people that placed this fulani man at the apex of the helm of affairs of this country are the problem this country have.

And concerning the foreign reserve ish., I don't see a breakthrough unless we exploit other forms of Revenue
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Bringback9ja: 9:54am On Feb 12, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:

Either oil goes above $100 or we keep on talking about that new loan from Christine and company

Mr Know it All. You will always have excuse for failure.

I went through your posts and below is what I saw. Supporting a governor who paid murderers after killing his people

2 Likes

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 12, 2020
Bringback9ja:

I went through your posts and below is what I saw. Supporting a governor who paid murderers after killing his people

Thanks for the insult, and thanks for misinterpreting my posts.

Do have a good day, and do read about Dutch disease, then we can talk.

Again, Nigeria is not earning enough from oil. Is that not a way of saying that government should stop it's short term thinking about oil? Is it not just my way of saying that government needs to change its economic ways?

Again, good morning
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by GamalNasser: 9:57am On Feb 12, 2020
Bringback9ja:

Dont mind the evil clown .. always supporting nonsense

1 Like

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 12, 2020
GamalNasser:

Dont mind the evil clown .. always supporting nonsense

Thanks for calling me evil.

May God bless you.

Now to explain further, our reliance on oil is why our reserve is dropping. You make the needed infrence....is government needs to change its economic ways, or keep on taking loans.

You people just come and insult people who did not insult you

1 Like

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by johnmartus(m): 10:01am On Feb 12, 2020
Government should forget about oil now. Governor should invest in tourism and Agriculture. Stop stealing our future.
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 10:03am On Feb 12, 2020
Bringback9ja:

On my other post.,.if you cared to understand it,you would see that I bash the Kaduna state for not compensating farmers hurt by the Fulani.

Bit you read without understanding, and then called me evil.

Honestly, some of you people, read things better!

1 Like

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 12, 2020
johnmartus:
Government should forget about oil now. Governor should invest in tourism and Agriculture. Stop stealing our future.

If they can invest in industrial development, we would no longer need to rely on oil, and we would end up being so prosperous, and jobs would be plentiful.

But this government spends more time on oil, oil, oil. That will finish soon.

Oil is a curse

1 Like

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by GamalNasser: 10:07am On Feb 12, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:

Thanks for calling me evil.

May God bless you.

Now to explain further, our reliance on oil is why our reserve is dropping. You make the needed infrence....is government needs to change its economic ways, or keep on taking loans.

You people just come and insult people who did not insult you

I wasnt referring to U sir
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Bringback9ja: 10:09am On Feb 12, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:

On my other post.,.if you cared to understand it,you would see that I bash the Kaduna state for not compensating farmers hurt by the Fulani.

Bit you read without understanding, and then called me evil.

Honestly, some of you people, read things better!

Terrorists are meant to be killed. Go and get a life

Your governor will surely compensate those who killed your family.

1 Like

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by CarlosTheJackal: 10:11am On Feb 12, 2020
johnmartus:
This Sai baba Z just woke up. grin
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by CarlosTheJackal: 10:14am On Feb 12, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:

Stop shifting goal post like an Anumpama because the same FG said that if we look inwards by eating Nigeria rice abi stones then our Forex will grow since we are using our Forex to buy rice outside.

This suffering will touch all of una
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 12, 2020
The only thing I picked up here is that Nigeria will plunge into recession again if things continue the way it is.

Are we out of the first one?
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by NigeriaIsDoomed: 10:27am On Feb 12, 2020
Next level grin grin
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 12, 2020
Nigeria needs to earn foreign exchange...

- We manufacture nothing due to corruption
- We sell nothing via tourism due to terrorism
- Agriculture is grounded due to herdsmen..
- A lawmaker bore 27 children and counting..
- Diaspora funding is clamping down due to stringent immigration policies from foreign countries and a bad reputation.

Solution:

Clamp down population spiraling out of control, it automatically..
- makes the available enough while creating employment which in turn reduces terrorism and increases buying power that makes corruption not enviable...

Population control solves it all..
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Jimi24: 10:37am On Feb 12, 2020
khingTony:
Dead President

Oil prices will keep declining, the planet's need for oil is decreasing, and in the near future, Oil will sell for as low as $20-$30, what will then be the state of This Nation?

It's time to diversify the Economy, and it's not done by Closing Borders, The people that placed this fulani man at the apex of the helm of affairs of this country are the problem this country have.

And concerning the foreign reserve ish., I don't see a breakthrough unless we exploit other forms of Revenue

You are an ignoramus.

Oil prices will keep declining is the only truth you have said. I think it is even more serious than this. Oil prices will crash suddenly in 2023 - 2025 due to electric cars and improvements in.energy use. I hope Trump loses 2020 elections otherwise the crash will.happen sooner caused by a world wide economic depression due to trade wars.

Buhari 's policies are the only hope for keeping the reserves up and the economy strong.

Thank God for border closure, it would have fallen to $25bn now. Nigeria is also plugging food importation hole and will be self sufficient in petrol by 2022.
Infrastructure development will improve internal efficiency and with ports being re opened in Eastern part of Nigeria, a lot of transactions costs will be cut down.
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Kendumazy(m): 11:30am On Feb 12, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 12, 2020
CarlosTheJackal:
Stop shifting goal post like an Anumpama because the same FG said that if we look inwards by eating Nigeria rice abi stones then our Forex will grow since we are using our Forex to buy rice outside.

This suffering will touch all of una

1.You misunderstood my post.

2.If you understood my post, you would eventually see it as a critique of the government...and as reaching the same conclusion somewhat that you reach.

3.Ultimately, Nigeria needs to industrialise. That is the only way we can get rich and prosperous as a nation...and have a good reserve.

4.Sorry you missed my point. You see it as excusing government failure....when it is showing the reason why our economy is in a mess. Our reliance on oil.

1 Like

Re: Worry As Nigeria’s External Reserves Head To $36bn, Now $37.4bn by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 12, 2020
Bringback9ja:

Terrorists are meant to be killed. Go and get a life

Your governor will surely compensate those who killed your family.

Good morning and good luck.

You missed my point completely.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Some Prominent Fulani People Around The World / Edo APC crisis: Obahiagbon blows hot, says Obaseki unleashed ‘deprecable gambit / Who Did These To Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.