Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,131 members, 7,849,544 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:01 AM

How Lagos State Ban On Bike And Keke Napep Is Killing Innocent Lagosians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Lagos State Ban On Bike And Keke Napep Is Killing Innocent Lagosians (214 Views)

Kaduna State Ban Hotels In Kabala West Area / Davido Rides On Bike To Celebrate Adeleke's Victory / Nasarawa State Ban Street Begging, Vows To Punish Parents Of Beggars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Lagos State Ban On Bike And Keke Napep Is Killing Innocent Lagosians by atirenesam(m): 1:05pm On Feb 13, 2020
My name is Akinolu David. I live in Ketu, Lagos State and work in Lekki. Every day, I have to wake up as early as 5:30am if I am to get to work by 8am. On most days, I leave work by 6pm and get home as late as 9pm– Sometimes 10pm. It is a terrible way to live and Lagos state government has made my life and the lives of thousands of other hard-working Lagosians a living hell.
On February 6, 2020, Lagos State Government decided to place a permanent ban on the activities of bikes (okada) and tricycles (keke napeps). This policy has placed great strain on the lives of the already stressed Lagosians. The ban has put thousands of okada riders out of a source of income. Two days ago, Gokada announced a 70% lay off of its staffs.
The ban has led to an increase in unemployment level. Unemployment will lead to increased crime and in turn a less safe Lagos for all. This ban is undemocratic and we all have a duty to make sure it is reversed.

HOW WE INTEND TO DO IT
1. Most of the roads banned are actually federal owned roads; therefore, Lagos State government does not have the right to ban movement of Okadas and Keke napeps on them. This petition is addressed to the federal government to pressure Lagos State into reversing the ban.

2. The Transport Section Reform Law, under which the ban is being enforced clearly gives the Commissioner of Transportation only regulatory rights. An outright ban of Keke Napeps and Okadas goes beyond the state’s constitutional prowess.

#Ourlivesmatter and we (the masses) deserve to be considered in every policies a government we elect to power make.
Sign the petition below today and help save the lives of fellow Nigerians.

https://fortheculture.com.ng/petition/

Re: How Lagos State Ban On Bike And Keke Napep Is Killing Innocent Lagosians by slimfit1(m): 1:11pm On Feb 13, 2020
Go and get bicycle billionaires are using bicycles.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos State Ban On Bike And Keke Napep Is Killing Innocent Lagosians by Zooposki(f): 1:12pm On Feb 13, 2020
atirenesam:

HOW WE INTEND TO DO IT
1. Most of the roads banned are actually federal owned roads; therefore, Lagos State government does not have the right to ban movement of Okadas and Keke napeps on them. This petition is addressed to the federal government to pressure Lagos State into reversing the ban.

As a representative of the Federal Government and the power invested in me, I hereby pronounce that Okada and Keke can now ply their trade on Federal Government roads in Lagos, but you must not be caught on any State or Local Government road.

(1) (Reply)

Bayelsa: PDP Candidate, Douye Diri Receives Certificate Of Return (photo) / Bukola Adetula : Akeredolu's Kinsman Who Is After His Job / Despite Escalation Of Killings, South-south APC Scores Buhari High On Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.