Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,441 members, 7,853,913 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 07:58 AM

"And The Lord Repented" - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "And The Lord Repented" (17970 Views)

Going To Church & Playing Gospel Music Is Not Enough, Have you really repented? / ✴The Seven Churches = 7 Kinds Of Churches Today. Two Are Repented / When Was The Last Time You Cried And Repented Of Wrong Against Someone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "And The Lord Repented" by koxi: 12:33pm On Feb 16, 2020
tejpot:
Yes the Lord repented not as humans will. 'Repented' in this case simply means in a sorry state or in a state of grieve.

This same statement was also made in Genesis 6:6 when God was in a state of grieve for making man.

In any case God's plan is always accomplished, though he was disappointed but never surprised because there is eternal plan for whatever man's action brings.

You are in order...
Respect!!
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by GreatResearcher: 12:34pm On Feb 16, 2020
Damiriel:
Just as he repented after creating man...
An all knowing God always repenting... What a lophole in christidom
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by janettee(f): 12:35pm On Feb 16, 2020
So many interpretations, hmmm
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by tejpot(m): 12:37pm On Feb 16, 2020
Jaapu:

Hehe. All of una don mad
LOL. Madness is from the bird eye view of the beholder. But seriously, God is infallible and the scriptures is unequivocal about that. Your sound reasoning might not be apealled to but nothing will change this truth about God as recorded in the scriptures.
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by Nobody: 12:42pm On Feb 16, 2020
gawu1:

Create another topic?
I expected the ''educate you'' to start here on the topic in discussion.
''and the Lord repented'' How could the Lord repent? What happens to the attribute of perfection?
The clause, ''and the Lord repented'', proves Buhari and that your Lord cannot only be put in the same sentence; but that the two are perfect synonyms of each other.
Between you and me who needs to be educated?
Go back to the top and read the submission to this topic
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by Auki: 12:44pm On Feb 16, 2020
tejpot:
Yes the Lord repented not as humans will. 'Repented' in this case simply means in a sorry state or in a state of grieve.

This same statement was also made in Genesis 6:6 when God was in a state of grieve for making man.

In any case God's plan is always accomplished, though he was disappointed but never surprised because there is eternal plan for whatever man's action brings.

God is fully aware of the past, present and future. God is fully aware of the start of things and end of it. God is high above such things. Grieve, regret and then repent is human.
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by AgentNairaland(f): 12:44pm On Feb 16, 2020
AntiChristian:
grin

OP it's not what you think? grin

I read this guys above and I wonder if their God is all knowing!

A God that has absolute control and knowledge of the future needs not repent!

God should be above regrets!

This is not allah the deciever according to quran.. grin
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by bmdmixer: 12:45pm On Feb 16, 2020
Damiriel:
Just as he repented after creating man...
he regrets shey, still regrets lol
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by tejpot(m): 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2020
Roycemadeit:

Na wa o
So God can be aggrieved
Yes he can be, if that answers your question. But ultimately, His reactions carry Justice and most significantly grace. From the fall of Adam till now, It is not new that our sins and misdeed angers God and it is also true that God has always been in search of men that will serve Him and stick to the instructions he has given them. For everyone God deals with He has specific instructions and they are appraised based on these specifics. That's equity!
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by Zooposki(f): 12:48pm On Feb 16, 2020
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by ojaysam25(m): 12:49pm On Feb 16, 2020
I Think repent in that context simply means "grief" "not happy"....
God has given us freewill to make choices on our own....undo he expects us to choose to do good over evil but he cannot do anything if we decide to choose evil....he did not made us like robots if not he would have forced us to do his will...
But since will decided not to follow his will,since he is an all loving God,he grieves or repented for he knows this one is as Good as dead...
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by BlueAngel444: 12:52pm On Feb 16, 2020
Overlordrichy:

THE LORD CHANGE HIS MIND OR HIS WILL
hmm, interesting.

This question eh wow. The mind of God or the will of God are they different or does it mean the same thing to you?
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by BlueAngel444: 12:53pm On Feb 16, 2020
Reality11:

An omniscient being making wrong or incorrect decision?

You said you not a believer of God in your previous post, lying to spread the doctrines of you belief? Pathetic cry
which post are you referring to undecided or are you just a false accuser
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by BlueAngel444: 12:56pm On Feb 16, 2020
ilyasmuy:

"Smoke went up out of His (God) nostrils, Fire from His (God) mouth devoured; Coals were kindled by it. Samuel 22:9

The God that's, regrets
The God that gets tired and needs to rest after 6 days.
The God that wrestle with Jacob in the bible
so what is written in scripture about God are the attributes you're talking about shocked they are what you call attached.

So God getting angry, being pleased, are also attached by them or what?

You didn't mention God's skin color as well, what about that one cheesy
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by tejpot(m): 12:58pm On Feb 16, 2020
sunshineV:

God was disappointed? I thought he knew all things
But that doesn't stop him from being the all knowing God. All knowing is not just a description, it is an evidential description. He has a suitable plan for every eventuality, that's an apt description of an 'all knowing' entity. Remember he has created all things for His pleasure (adoration, angered, grieved, everlasting joy). Don't also forget that he created all things with a balance (the darkness, the light). The absence of light is darkness and consequently, the absence of pleasure.......
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by GodSaklek(m): 1:00pm On Feb 16, 2020
Definitely this god is clueless,I thought they said he can see the future.. Anyway OtemAtum always right

2 Likes

Re: "And The Lord Repented" by BlueAngel444: 1:02pm On Feb 16, 2020
ibinaboonline:
Where in the Bible does it say that God loves some and hates some?
Malachi 1:2-3 declares, “‘I have loved you,’” says the LORD. But you ask, ‘How have you loved us?’ ‘Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?’ the LORD says. ‘Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his mountains into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals.’

Romans 9:10-13 , “Not only that, but Rebekah’s children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls—she was told, ‘The older will serve the younger.’ Just as it is written: ‘Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.’

I loved,
ἠγάπησα (ēgapēsa)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's Greek 25: To love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem.

God accepted Jacob and FAVORED HIM MORE

I hated.”
ἐμίσησα (emisēsa)
Strong's Greek 3404: To hate, detest, love less, esteem less. From a primary misos; to detest; by extension, to love less.

while Esau, like Cain, God rejected, loved less
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by tejpot(m): 1:03pm On Feb 16, 2020
Alitair:

But God sees the future. How didn't he see both Saul and humans going astray..?

The evidence of seeing and knowing the future is in the provision of a contingency plan.
All knowing is not just a description, it is an evidential description. He has a suitable plan for every eventuality, that's an apt description of an 'all knowing' entity.
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by Reality11: 1:09pm On Feb 16, 2020
tejpot:

LOL. Madness is from the bird eye view of the beholder. But seriously, God is infallible and the scriptures is unequivocal about that. Your sound reasoning might not be apealled to but nothing will change this truth about God as recorded in the scriptures.

How do you know the right religion or God if every the scriptural records of good are infallible? (Bible, Quran, agmas, tipitaka, Vedas and the rest)

Can't this be said to every religion?
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by Reality11: 1:12pm On Feb 16, 2020
BlueAngel444:
which post are you referring to undecided or are you just a false accuser

My bad, I quoted the wrong person
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by Jaapu: 1:14pm On Feb 16, 2020
tejpot:

A mad person no know say I'm dey mad nah. Kontinue. grin grin
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by fortran12: 1:17pm On Feb 16, 2020
DEHVEHLOP:
Cherubim and SERAPHIM will never be allowed into Mountain of Fire for fellowship..

Rccg will never miss road enter deeper life

CCC will never seek asylum in Winners Chapel

The religion with no love for fellow Christians and zero tolerance for non Christians, is that one not a SCAM?

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF HATRED CALLED CHRISTENDOM

What is your proof? You just write what ever you like and come to a conclusion. Has anyone from the above denominations been ejected or denied entry, if the church welcomes sinners why will it deny fellow Christians?
I have been to all the above mentioned churches and I am not a member of any. I follow Jesus not a church.
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by gawu1: 1:17pm On Feb 16, 2020
Mikehot:
Go back to the top and read the submission to this topic
As well you can go back and read my quote on your reply to this topic.
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by fortran12: 1:18pm On Feb 16, 2020
fyneboi79:
He treated his own fcukup.
Same way God didn't see Soddom and Gomorah coming....
Same way God didn't see Eve disobeying....
Same way God didn't know the exact outcome of the first world he created.......

I could go on listing inconsistencies from the Bible ,but I won't.... misconceptions nullify judgment!!!
Christianity is the most illogical set of thoughts imposed on fools through fear.

God gave free will so why weigh in when you have a choice? You understanding of God is wrapped
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by APOSTLECHUMA: 1:30pm On Feb 16, 2020
GOD HAS DUAL NATURE ( HUMAN AND DIVINE ). HIS HUMAN NATURE ALLOWS HIM TO INTERACT WIT WE MORTALS IN OUR LEVELS, WHILE ACTING ON IT, WHILE ON IT, HE CAN BE WEAK THE WAY WE DO, BE HUNGRY AND EAT LIKE US AND EVEN WEEP, AT LAZARUS'S GRAVE, HE WEPT BUT AFTER WEEPING, HE ENTERED INTO HIS DIVINE NATURE AND CALLED LAZARUS OUT OF THE GRAVE. THE VOICE THAT DEATH HEARD AND BECAME AFRAID AND RELEASED IT'S CAPTIVE WHO WAS ALREADY EATEN UP BY WORMS WASNT THE VOICE OF A MAN BUT GOD, PEOPL NEED TO SEPERATE WHEN GOD IS ACTING IN HIS HUMAN NATURE FROM WHEN HE IS ACTING IN HIS DIVINE OR SUPERNATURAL NATURE. IN HIS HUMAN NATURE, HE COULD REGRET AND THAT SHOULDNT MAKE ANY ONE TO DOUBT HIS BEING OMNISCIENCE AS HE KNOWS THE END EVEN B4 THE BEGINNING AND KNOWS FROM TIME INTO ETERNITY. HIS HUMAN NATURE WAS WHAT BECAME MANIFESTED ON EARTH AS CHRIST WHEN GOD BECAME FLESH (1TIM 3-16) TO FEEL THE THINGS WE FEEL IN FLESH AND GO THROUGH THE THINGS WE GO THROUGH TO OVERCOM THE FLESH 4US. Cfountainoftruth@gmail.com 07054142412
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by tejpot(m): 1:32pm On Feb 16, 2020
Reality11:

How do you know the right religion or God if every the scriptural records of good are infallible? (Bible, Quran, agmas, tipitaka, Vedas and the rest)

Can't this be said to every religion?
I have not come here to assert that my religion is the right or yours is the wrong. Whether there be knowledge or prophesies or tongues that people have portrayed to have originated from their religion, they will all fail. Only one thing will stand, LOVE. Love for God and love for fellow human.

I have replied someone else that, God deals with everyone based on the specific instructions he has given them and it all boils down to that summarized commandment.

In love there is no religion!
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by ibinaboonline: 1:38pm On Feb 16, 2020
I'm not surprised you brought these up. Okay, please pay attention. [You’re not going find this verse on a coffee mug at your local Christian bookstore. If we’re honest, it makes God sound unfair, doesn’t it? Especially when we take in to account that God’s treatment of Jacob and Esau is something he determined before they’d even been born “and had done nothing either good or bad” (Romans 9:11). So did God just decide to hate Esau for no good reason? How do we make sense of this?

We use the words “love” and “hate” today, usually to describe intense emotions. But we can’t assume that Paul uses them the same way that we might. Instead, he uses a Hebrew figure of speech that pairs absolute terms to stress contrast. Jesus does the same thing when he says that we cannot be his disciples unless we “hate” our families (Luke 14:26), whereas in Matthew 10:37 he simply warns us against loving them more than him.

Jesus, of course, talks about a way of life, not merely emotions. Similarly, rather than describing God’s emotions in this verse, Paul describes his actions. It’s important to remember this so that we don’t interpret this text as saying that God had an intense hatred of Esau (v. 13) before Esau ever gave God a reason to (v. 11).

Instead, “love” refers to God’s act of choosing Jacob, while “hate” refers to his not choosing Esau. He’s not saying that God chose Jacob because he loved him and rejected Esau because he hated him, but rather “Jacob I chose…Esau I rejected.” It’s another way for Paul to say what he has been saying since verse 6. In conclusion, dont forget one of the most popular verse of scripture: FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY SON THAT WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT PERISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE. Its crystal clear; God values the whole world.author=BlueAngel444 post=86695583]Malachi 1:2-3 declares, “‘I have loved you,’” says the LORD. But you ask, ‘How have you loved us?’ ‘Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?’ the LORD says. ‘Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his mountains into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals.’

Romans 9:10-13 , “Not only that, but Rebekah’s children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls—she was told, ‘The older will serve the younger.’ Just as it is written: ‘Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.’

I loved,
ἠγάπησα (ēgapēsa)
Strong's Greek 25: To love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem.

God accepted Jacob and FAVORED HIM MORE

I hated.”
ἐμίσησα (emisēsa)
Strong's Greek 3404: To hate, detest, love less, esteem less. From a primary misos; to detest; by extension, to love less.

while Esau, like Cain, God rejected, loved less[/quote]
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by BlueAngel444: 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2020
Mikehot:
free will isn't an illusion, it is the basics upon which judgement comes (else everyman can say God I didn't do this on my own you did, so you can't hold me accountable).

Yes God knows the end from the beginning but it is still your decisions, choices right and wrong that determined that end.

You think God didn't know Adam and Eve would sin b4 creating them and adding freewill to them?

You think he hadn't prepared Christ for the fault of Adam and Eve even before they were created?

He understood the Injustice it had been for everyone to suffer from Adam and Eve error which again was solely the error of Adam and Eve not his.

In a nutshell he saw the end from the beginning, and his plan and reaction was only carved out to match the decisions the Man has made.

Hence he sees the end yes, but our actions and choices are what defines that end, his input is fruit we must really from our choices

Adam's will wasn't the basis of God's judgement, God's justification, which comes from God's choices and will, is the basis of His judgement.

God's justification is what God does
God's judgement is his decision based on that.

God never gave Adam and Eve a free will. There was never a time God said unto Adam "do whatever you like". He gave him a command and that command gave them freedom to eat every other fruit except that one.

God never said eat that fruit when you feel like, but He said the day you do eat it you will die, that is not an option my friend. It's a command. Options were the other trees in the garden. And that's the command they later obeyed, the command that brought death, because they didn't believe what the Lord said about death.

Free will as an illusion is because from the beginning the devil said you will not surely die deceiving Eve, making her think she can do a thing and change or determine the repercussion for it.

If WILL IS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS then only God's will really counts because we don't decide tomorrow, God does.

Man doesn't choose to live under such command, man is made to live under such commands. Whether we accept it or not.

If you choose to accept: God's command is what lead to Adam's sin.
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by Samunique(m): 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2020
DEHVEHLOP:
Cherubim and SERAPHIM will never be allowed into Mountain of Fire for fellowship..

Rccg will never miss road enter deeper life

CCC will never seek asylum in Winners Chapel

The religion with no love for fellow Christians and zero tolerance for non Christians, is that one not a SCAM?

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF HATRED CALLED CHRISTENDOM

Continue wallowing in your ignorance and fake Islamic propaganda about Christianity...

The holy ghost Congress by Pst Adeboye is being attended only by redeemed members abi ?

The prayer city built by MFM is attended by the MFM members alone, isn't it ?

The nation wide open air crusade being held by Pst Kumiyi is also meant for deeper life members only, is that not what you mean ?

Or, the CAC Prayer mountains that are almost everywhere are also meant for the CAC members only , isn't it ?

When we tell you people that you guys ( Muslims ) know nothing about Christendom, you won't agree !!!
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by BlueAngel444: 1:48pm On Feb 16, 2020
Neroiam:

So, you think God makes mistakes?

Isaiah 46:10 NIV
I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, 'My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.'

How can someone who knows the end form the beginning make mistakes??
Mind your words oo so you don't incur curses on yourself.
God does NOT make mistakes

I say, 'My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.' - God speaking

The question now is why?

Simple answer, because He is God. So simple yet so hard for some to fathom

And men who want to be God tend to want to act like this, do whatever they want, as if they created themselves for their own purposes.

That desire Eve had to do whatever, to be like God. Not to do the purpose God made for her.
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by ibinaboonline: 1:49pm On Feb 16, 2020
It doesn't cease to amaze me...you must think you're been smart. Tell me, when people tell you to bend down and pay attention, does it mean you should literally bend your neck? Don't you think the allusion that God came down may not be literal?
Zooposki:

I also wonder which of the gods was so scared of the unity of human beings. Unity is good.

5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
Re: "And The Lord Repented" by BlueAngel444: 1:50pm On Feb 16, 2020
Reality11:

My bad, I quoted the wrong person
Oh OK smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kumuyi: Agitations Will End If Government Addresses Injustice / Gen. Buhari Meets With The Archbishop Of Canterbury (Photo News) / Why Can't Men Wear Earrings In Church?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.