Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,781 members, 7,831,515 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Why Banned The Old Currency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Banned The Old Currency (891 Views)

Differences Between The Old And New Budget 2016 / MASSOB Introduces, Passport, Currency, Vehicle & Drivers Licences / Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Banned The Old Currency by emeka213: 5:56am On Jun 02, 2007
sadWHY ON EARTH WILL OUR GOVT THINK OF PUTTING A STOP IN THE OLD CURRENCY N50,N20,10,N5 FROM CIRCULATION.I WAS EXPECTING THE MONEY TO STILL BE IN CIRCULATION, THEN AS THE MONEY CONTINUE TO GO THE BANK EVERY NOW AND THEN,THEY MAKE SURE THEY DONT RELEASE IT ANY MORE.
TO MY OPINION AS IT IS NOW THERE IS KNOW RESPECT ENOUGH FOR THIS SO CALLED NAIRA CURRENCIES.
Re: Why Banned The Old Currency by cuteass1(f): 12:54pm On Jun 05, 2007
Thats just absurd . . why Nigeria will always be Nigeria grin

Are they banned from the banks too?? If thats so, then they're not thinking straight.

What do they expect peeps with the former notes to do??

Here in Norway, you can buy things with it, and if youwant a newer one, you could always walk to the bank and declare your request. And yes they'll grant it with a smile cheesy
Re: Why Banned The Old Currency by Seun(m): 1:04pm On Jun 05, 2007
It's very sad that the CBN would choose to discontinue the old currency when
1) it's not necessary. 2) They spent money promoting useless coins, but failed to announce the discontinuation.
Re: Why Banned The Old Currency by Mamajama(m): 2:33pm On Jun 05, 2007
Have you seen how dirty Nigerian money can get? I think its a good idea to introduce the coin, remember we have lots of local traders in Nigeria that don't use banks.
Re: Why Banned The Old Currency by uchetobi(f): 2:38pm On Jun 05, 2007
heard that even the banks are rejecting it
Re: Why Banned The Old Currency by denex: 3:35pm On Jun 05, 2007
@MAMAJAMA

I am certain you've long been out of this country. With all due respect. The situation on ground in Nigeria right now is that there are grave similarities between a Naira Coin and Leprosy. No body wants to touch it, no body wants to see it, nobody wants to have it, and nobody wants to know somebody that has it.

And by the way why, why, why. Why mint a N2 coin? What can one N2 coin do that two N1 coins cannot?
Re: Why Banned The Old Currency by rowlandwhy: 4:18pm On Jun 05, 2007
do you know if the commercial banks are accepting these old notes right now?
Re: Why Banned The Old Currency by Mamajama(m): 4:36pm On Jun 05, 2007
denex it is only a matter of time people do not like change because it leads to inconvenience. but with time I think this will be a good strategy.  in essence what can you buy in Nigeria today with  naira coin?  not even chewing gum.  introducing this coin in my personal opinion is a good thing for the local traders that carry the  vast amount of currency for their daily transactions.  I for one never use coin and I just don't carry coins.

(1) (Reply)

U. S Congress To Hold Talks On Nigerian (s)election / U Think This Corrupt Public Officer Deserve Bail / Fg Sold $460m Sheraton, Sofitel For $84m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.