Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,539 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years (18887 Views)

Sylva: FG To Grow Oil Reserves To 40bn Barrels By 2025 / A Wealth Of Sorrow: Why Nigeria’s Abundant Oil Reserves Are Really A Curse / Japan Emerges Nigeria’s Third Largest Donor With $1.4bn In 49 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by BRIGHT180(m): 11:44am On Feb 21, 2020
Petroleum cannot finish what will happen is the demand for some or all of its refined components will dwindle here is why

When predictions like this are given only the biogenically generated petroleum are taken into account unfortunately due to the unavalibility of equipments for advanced drilling techniques such as hydraulic fracturing used to recover petroleum in shales and tight sands unconventional reservoirs in general only that of the conventional reservoirs are taken into account no forgetting DPR uses 2P for it's reserves estimation.

The thermogenically generated petroleum at great depth which is generally untapped is alot in itself.

I am almost certain the surprisingly unexplored anambra basin housing natural gas in trillions of cubic feet was not factored into this report.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by lionel4mercy: 11:47am On Feb 21, 2020
thank God we can now go our ways
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by okoroemeka(m): 1:03pm On Feb 21, 2020
SoulB6:
49+ my present age, I will be old by then, expecting my Lord to call me.
you will even be old to witness the mess that will follow,for me there's no way I can be alive in 49 yrs time,thank God for that
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by Kennyswagz1(m): 1:31pm On Feb 21, 2020
wirinet:

Do you want to split the country along tribal or religious lines, or your beaf is only with Hausa and Fulanis? What of Yorubas and Edos? What's of itsekiris, ishans, urhobos, Tivs and gwaris, should every tribe have their own country?
i don't care.. i just want my people sw to be out of this shithole
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by Legendguru: 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2020
smiley
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by frog12: 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2020
it should run dry today so the crooks have nothing else to steal !!!!

Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by Nobody: 2:11pm On Feb 21, 2020
Be4 then the world demand for petrol go drop too
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by odinga1of: 3:30pm On Feb 21, 2020
omoadeleye:

You want Dangote to be depressed fa?

Bros na joke I de, can't U see my teeth shining
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by showafrica(m): 4:39pm On Feb 21, 2020
mrvitalis:

No matter what the energy u used to sperate them would be lower than what u get 3rd law of thermodynamics ..

Hydrogen is not water

Hydrogen and oxygen is water. Efficiency means getting more with less. Trust me, as technology advances, there will be better or free ways to get hydrogen from water. This means efficiency and the effect will be cars and engines running on water.

However, you may be right that the same technology that would seperate hydrogen from oxygen efficiently can as well run the engines without going through the separation of water molecules.
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by omohayek: 6:15pm On Feb 21, 2020
wirinet:

I beg to differ. Nigeria's ethnic diversity and even configuration is similar to other West African countries, like Benin Republic, Togo and Ghana, and non of them have crude oil. Non of them have disintegrated.

I feel main reason some people are shouting force marriage, disintegration is that they feel, it is easier to get their hands on the crude, once there are less competition jostling for it. Imagine the whole of the crude being shared by the whole Nigeria now being shared by one forth. It will be free easy money. If crude was not discovered, I sure most Nigerian tribes would have formed closer bond, as production and trade requires good relationship with your neighbours. Trade always promote integration.

You always conflate clamour for restructuring with disintegration. Restructuring does not mean disintegration. Restructuring mean different things to different people. I want a restructuring that will first reduce the number of states to reasonable levels, then restricts the powers and responsibilities of the central government to defence, monetary policy and foreign affairs. I want a complete restructuring of our justice system and revenue sharing system.

Others want a structured Nigeria with more states.
The same forces would still be at work even without a drop of oil, given the vast disparities in educational levels and industrialisation between the regions, not to speak of access to the sea.

Many Nigerians like to deceive themselves that the predominance of the SW is something new and owing to the oil boom years, but in truth the overwhelming preponderance of economic activity in Nigeria has always been in the region around Lagos, and this was true even before there was a “Nigeria” to speak of. If anything, the original justification for extending British rule inland was supposedly to secure the “crown jewel” of the Lagos protectorate. It’s no accident that Zik could only look on impotently as Awolowo introduced universal primary education in the Western Region, or that Ironsi was so quick to introduce a unitary government.

Even if the north were to miraculously overcome its educational deficits overnight, there is no chance that its elites would ever willingly forego access to SW tax revenues or free usage of the Lagos ports. The other side of the coin is that a powerful Yoruba secessionist movement would be guaranteed to arise in the face of any prospect of returning to a 1967 status quo under which the rest of the country lives a parasitical existence off the back of the SW alone.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by wirinet(m): 10:18pm On Feb 21, 2020
omohayek:

The same forces would still be at work even without a drop of oil, given the vast disparities in educational levels and industrialisation between the regions, not to speak of access to the sea.

Many Nigerians like to deceive themselves that the predominance of the SW is something new and owing to the oil boom years, but in truth the overwhelming preponderance of economic activity in Nigeria has always been in the region around Lagos, and this was true even before there was a “Nigeria” to speak of. If anything, the original justification for extending British rule inland was supposedly to secure the “crown jewel” of the Lagos protectorate. It’s no accident that Zik could only look on impotently as Awolowo introduced universal primary education in the Western Region, or that Ironsi was so quick to introduce a unitary government.

Even if the north were to miraculously overcome its educational deficits overnight, there is no chance that its elites would ever willingly forego access to SW tax revenues or free usage of the Lagos ports. The other side of the coin is that a powerful Yoruba secessionist movement would be guaranteed to arise in the face of any prospect of returning to a 1967 status quo under which the rest of the country lives a parasitical existence off the back of the SW alone.

That's why I tell those who say that the only reason the north is against separation is the oil are highly mistaken. The reason lord luggard amalgamated the north and south was not because of oil or any resources, it that the north cannot survive on its own as a viable economic unit. Without the south, the North (especially far north) would be no different from Niger or Chad. An unstable north would also pose serious security challenge to the south, even if separated, like Somalia is posing serious security challenge to Kenya.
Even in the current political arrangements, without crude only Lagos and states closest to it will be viable, the other states in Nigeria, including the Eastern states cannot survive. apart from allocations, where will they get the foreign exchange to bring in goods to trade? The Eastern states are doing abysmally poor in terms of taxes and internal generated revenue.

That's why it's paining me that it is only Lagos that is embarking or encouraging mega projects that has long term economic value, ie refinery, eko Atlantic, free trade zone, improved public transportation, aggressive tax drive, etc. The other states are just embarking on white elephant projects like airports, stadiums and other such stupid project with monies they collect from Abuja, that is if they are embarking on any project at all.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by myobjective: 11:26pm On Feb 21, 2020
wirinet:

I beg to differ. Nigeria's ethnic diversity and even configuration is similar to other West African countries, like Benin Republic, Togo and Ghana, and non of them have crude oil. Non of them have disintegrated.

I feel main reason some people are shouting force marriage, disintegration is that they feel, it is easier to get their hands on the crude, once there are less competition jostling for it. Imagine the whole of the crude being shared by the whole Nigeria now being shared by one forth. It will be free easy money. If crude was not discovered, I sure most Nigerian tribes would have formed closer bond, as production and trade requires good relationship with your neighbours. Trade always promote integration.

You always conflate clamour for restructuring with disintegration. Restructuring does not mean disintegration. Restructuring means different things to different people. I want a restructuring that will first reduce the number of states to reasonable levels, then restricts the powers and responsibilities of the central government to defence, monetary policy and foreign affairs. I want a complete restructuring of our justice system and revenue sharing system.

Others want a structured Nigeria with more states.

Nigeria is one of the most diverse countries on earth not only in Africa. Which west African country as diverse like Nigeria?

Ghana: Akan makes up over 60% of the country with the closet ethnic group coming at 16%. So there is an overwelmly single majority.

Most of these African countries have a relatively small population and a single majority with relatively religious homogeneity. Nigeria is a mismatch it is just like having German, English and French in the same country, it will never work.

The problem is in ideology, the way an Hausa-Fulani man wants to live is different from the way a Yoruba man or an Igbo wants to live. We are too different to coexist in peace in one country. The problem is not the oil per se but the ideology and general way of life.

We can't build a country when we all can't even agree on what we want, how we want to coexist in peace, how we should tolerate one another, how we should value education etc. If we can't agree on all these how do we build a country?
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by myobjective: 11:37pm On Feb 21, 2020
omohayek:

Many Nigerians like to deceive themselves that the predominance of the SW is something new and owing to the oil boom years, but in truth, the overwhelming preponderance of economic activity in Nigeria has always been in the region around Lagos, and this was true even before there was a “Nigeria” to speak of. If anything, the original justification for extending British rule inland was supposed to secure the “crown jewel” of the Lagos protectorate. It’s no accident that Zik could only look on impotently as Awolowo introduced universal primary education in the Western Region, or that Ironsi was so quick to introduce a unitary government.

The Yoruba are the biggest victim of centralized Nigeria. Yoruba land was a pacesetter before and during colonization, for example, I am from a town that got connected to the power grid as far back as 1955 when most now state capitals in the north doesn't have electricity but today, my town has been deserted for Lagos, Abuja and PH while taxes and crude oil money is used to fight senseless war and prop up unproductive regions in the north.

Nature is not always fair, you don't work hard, get an education and have a sizeable family to enjoy life while others don't care and bring nothing to the table not now come from behind to get quota for jobs and appointment when they haven't put in as much work.

No matter what the government at the central do, Nigeria is living a borrowed time, the Yoruba nationalist will rise and will take back Yoruba land for only Yoruba. I don't care about Niger Delta all money, I just want to live in a country with like-minded people where we can collectively fight for a good future.

1 Like

Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by crash12345: 11:55pm On Feb 21, 2020
myobjective:

Nigeria is one of the most diverse countries on earth not only in Africa. Which west African country as diverse like Nigeria?

Ghana: Akan makes up over 60% of the country with the closet ethnic group coming at 16%. So there is an overwelmly single majority.

Most of these African countries have a relatively small population and a single majority with relatively religious homogeneity. Nigeria is a mismatch it is just like having German, English and French in the same country, it will never work.

The problem is in ideology, the way an Hausa-Fulani man wants to live is different from the way a Yoruba man or an Igbo wants to live. We are too different to coexist in peace in one country. The problem is not the oil per se but the ideology and general way of life.

We can't build a country when we all can't even agree on what we want, how we want to coexist in peace, how we should tolerate one another, how we should value education etc. If we can't agree on all these how do we build a country?
firstly Akan is an ethnic group with 49% population of Ghana not 60% and Ghana has five major ethnic groups with over 100 other ethnic groups with over 100 languages.Even among the Akans,they're divided into Ashanti Tribe and Kingdom, Fantes,Akyeam State,Brong Ahafo states and over 30 sub Akan groups whom are all independent from the other.

Ghana has never experienced any civil war since independent in 1957 not because we are very low population. Rwanda had just 2 major tribes whom even shared similar culture and their population were less than 10 million compared to Ghana with over 30 million people buh they experienced a civil war and a genocide.

Same for Liberia and Sierra Leone with a population of less than 7 million each buh series of civil wars
.Cote d'Ivoire has majority of their population as Akans same as Ghana with over 45% buh they experienced several years of tribal and civil wars.Yemen and co have less population but experience highly instabilities.

Nigeria is already doomed with your recent civil war leading to over 3 million deaths and currently high tensions, conflict and killing in your states.Nigeria is sitting on a time bomb.

India and over 10 countries have more population than Nigeria buh they're far peaceful and stable.Nigeria have just 3 main ethnic groups who are over 90% of Nigerian population buy the tensions are extreme.So war is not about population or too much diversity but national love and patriotism.
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by Gamelord007: 11:57pm On Feb 21, 2020
Consider our problems as a nation solved once it drys up
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by wirinet(m): 4:13am On Feb 22, 2020
myobjective:

Yes, Nigeria has over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, are you suggesting we seperated the country into 250 seperated countries? No matter how you split Nigeria, we would still have numerous ethnic tribes in one country.

Niger delta alone is made up of more than 40 ethnic groupings, so the same problems bedevilling Nigeria would still affect a country made up of only Niger delta tribes. Africans have to learn to live with one another in a give and take situation.
South Africa also has numerous indigenous tribes apart from a wide array of settler groups from Europe and Asia and they have found a way to live together.

The diversity in itself is not the problem, the struggle for political power and control of oil resources is.

Not exactly true.

Ghana has more than seventy ethnic groups.[7] Major ethnic groups in Ghana include the Akan at 47.5% of the population, the Mole-Dagbon at 16.6%, the Ewe at 13.9%, the Ga-Dangme at 7.4%, the Gurma at 5.7%, the Guang at 3.7%, the Grusi at 2.5%, the Kusaasi at 1.2%, and the Bikpakpaam a.k.a. Konkomba people at 3.5%.[8] 700,000 of the people living in Ghana are from China. [9]. They represent 2,4% of the total population of Ghana.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Ghana

If oil is found in a minority group in Ghana with one or two major groups in control. Conflict is bound to arise.

I disagree. Most African countries have two or more ethnic groups. Besides, the way the colonialists divided Africa is such that one minor tribe can be a major tribe in another country and vice versa. So if you are splitting countries based on ethnic groupings, you will have to take the ethnic group in another country into consideration. For example, Yorubas in Benin republic and Togo must be put into consideration in a Yoruba only country.

Ironically, this was the same argument that sir Ahmadu Bello gave for refusing to join a one Nigeria before independence, it was the igbos through Zik that convinced the north otherwise. Now the igbos and hausa have adopted opposite ends of the spectrum.

That's what true federalism is supposed to achieve. True federalism should be adopted up to tribal level. A tribe should be allowed to live according to their culture, talents, aspirations, and resources, without overbearing influence from the centre. If the Muslim north wants to practice sharia, let them practice it, as long as they have the resources to run it. If the east wants to practice Biafra (within the federation), let them practice it, as long as they have the resources to run it.

1 Like

Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by lexy2(m): 7:18am On Feb 22, 2020
This is a wake-up call!
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by FemiOyewoleGCFR(m): 8:58am On Feb 22, 2020
israelmao:

Deplete or dry up?
Any one of them..
[b]Either deplete or dry up
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by israelmao(m): 11:40am On Feb 22, 2020
FemiOyewoleGCFR:

Any one of them..
[b]Either deplete or dry up
There is difference between these words.
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by Smile4me01(m): 1:11pm On Feb 22, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
https://punchng.com/nigerias-oil-reservesll-run-dry-in-49-years-dpr/
to is too far let it be next year the oil is not benefiting poor masses only the rich are njoying the wealth from oil.
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by FemiOyewoleGCFR(m): 9:15pm On Feb 22, 2020
israelmao:

There is difference between these words.
Mind your bizness
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by israelmao(m): 9:19pm On Feb 22, 2020
FemiOyewoleGCFR:

Mind your bizness
I should have been the one to tell you that because you were the one that first sent me a reply.
Re: DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years by FemiOyewoleGCFR(m): 9:22pm On Feb 22, 2020
israelmao:

I should have been the one to tell that because you were the one that first sent me a reply.
Really, seriously...good night

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bode George: Why Buhari Can’t Win The War Against Boko Haram / Peter Obi, Obi Cubana, Adeleke, Arthur Eze, Davido Nominated For Man Of The Year / Patrick Obahiagbon On Being Disturbed By A Girl On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.