Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,887 members, 7,810,412 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 (41846 Views)

Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka / 2023: Why Presidency Should Return To Northern Nigeria – Fani-Kayode / Babachir Lawal: It’s Not Compulsory North Must Cede Power To South In 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Islie: 5:07am On Feb 24, 2020
…Says no justification for Northerner to take over after Buhari’s 8 years

By Soni Daniel, Northern Region Editor
As the permutations for the 2023 Presidency begin to dominate political discourse nationwide, Kaduna State governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, has said the Presidency should rightly return to the Southern part of the country.

Although the governor, acclaimed to be a major strategist of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, did not specify which of the southern geopolitical zones should take the Presidency in 2023, he argued that it would be unjustified for the North to seek to retain the Presidency after President Muhammadu Buhari might have completed his eight years.

El-Rufai, who headed the APC’s Restructuring Committee, pointed out that although the party’s constitution does not make provision for rotational presidency, like the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, it was a general understanding that the Presidency should rotate between the two political zones of Nigeria for the sake of justice, equity and fair play.

The governor said: “The general political consensus in Nigeria is that the Presidency should rotate between the North and the South. It is not written but everyone understands it. “In some of the parties, like the PDP, it is even written down in their constitution but it was breached in 2015. I think that every politician of honour should understand and abide by that consensus except there is an extenuating circumstance compelling it to be set aside.

What could this be? “President Yar’Adua died in office and it was compulsory for Jonathan to continue but when 2011 election came, there were many people who insisted that Jonathan should step aside for a northerner to complete the tenure of Yar’Adua but I opposed it because I didn’t think it was proper for an incumbent that got there not by his own design should be stopped from contesting when the constitution has not barred him from running.

“In the APC, we deliberately omitted rotational Presidency in our constitution and the emergence of a presidential candidate does not take into account zoning and that was why in 2015, Rochas Okorocha from the East contested, Sam Nda-Isaiah contested, Buhari, Kwankwaso and others contested.

“I can say that as distinct from the PDP, APC has no rotational Presidency but candidates are selected strictly on the basis of political merit and the general acceptability of the candidate. “I want to say that those of us from Northern Nigeria honour agreements.

We do not violate unwritten political agreements and I will be the last person to lead in violating that agreement. I may have a personal view but that should be the basis. I don’t care where you come from but I look for merit. “But as a group, the Northern APC will have to sit down and endorse someone, most likely someone from the South, because after eight years of Buhari, I don’t think the Presidency should remain in the north unless there is some extenuating circumstances.

But all things being equal, we will honour our agreement and we keep our words.’’ It will be recalled that some northern leaders have lately begun to canvass for the retention of the Presidency in the region, arguing that the south had done more years than them since President Umaru Yar’Adua died and his vice, Goodluck Jonathan, took over and did another term in place of the north.

Others have even argued that since the PDP jettisoned the well established rotational Presidency, which the party put in place to ensure orderly sharing of power, power sharing between the north and the south should no longer be on agreement but on merit.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/why-presidency-should-return-to-south-in-2023-by-el-rufai/

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Nobody: 5:11am On Feb 24, 2020
Our politics is too expensive to get the right kind of leaders in, and the Nation has grown poorer to even enable that in the closest future..

Solution:
Enact into the constitution a point based election system, the higher a voters educational level, the higher your number of vote alongside the zoning dichotomy between the North and South still in place.

Primary school cert and below - 1 vote.
Secondary School cert - 2 votes.
Graduate - 3 votes.

Benefits:
- You encourage education 100%, which brings about innovations, ideas and problem solving..
- The chances of the right candidate increases at a very high percentage.
- You encourage birth control on quality not quantity..
- You give more voting power to the educated..
- You discourage vote buying aswell..
- The politicians would begin to seek integrity over popularity..
- the purpose of populating to win elections would be gone which has adversely affected the Nation.
- 4 graduate votes would equal 12 primary school cert holder votes.

We really need to start thinking outside the box

165 Likes 22 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Goldencheese(m): 5:19am On Feb 24, 2020
Ok. So that the southerner can be tasked with rebuilding Nigeria where Buhari failed woefully?

OK o.

26 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by JasonScoolari: 5:20am On Feb 24, 2020
Lol, grin Tinubu thinks he's smart.

If you could recall, the short Kaduna demon visited Bola Ahmed Tinubu at his Bourdilion residence few months ago... That visit was not just an ordinary visit, Tinubu used it as an opportunity to strike a deal with El-rufai to sell his 2023 ambition to the North.

But I trust the Arewa mafia's...

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by daroz(m): 5:25am On Feb 24, 2020
You are sure El Rufai said this?

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Mraphel: 5:26am On Feb 24, 2020
You want him to say "power should stay in the north" so that you can rejoice over the afonja ?

Power is coming to the south in 2023....through both party pdp and apc

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by chriskosherbal(m): 5:28am On Feb 24, 2020
Really elrufai has really change oooo..this news go sweet tinubu for belly ooo cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Mraphel: 5:30am On Feb 24, 2020
chriskosherbal:
Really elrufai has really change oooo..this news go sweet tinubu for belly ooo cheesy
Yes o

And it will pain the almajiri loving ipods yoot

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Simplebeauty: 5:34am On Feb 24, 2020
grin grin

He is just pulling Tinubu's legs

Do you know I give cheap loans?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by tsephanyah(f): 5:36am On Feb 24, 2020
We will support Osibanjo for president in 2023 or any other SW politician with good records.. but not Tinubu. if SW decided to give us Tinubu we will go for PDP's candidates

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Myer(m): 5:45am On Feb 24, 2020
chriskosherbal:

El Rufai has always been a reasonable man but as a staunch northern muslim he's unpredictable.
Good one from him though.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by LegendHero(m): 5:46am On Feb 24, 2020
Who is El-Rufai and who cares about his opinion by the way?

3 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Myer(m): 5:49am On Feb 24, 2020
JasonScoolari:

If you could recall, the short Kaduna demon visited Bola Ahmed Tinubu at his Bourdilion residence few months ago... That visit was not just an ordinary visit, Tinubu used it as an opportunity to strike a deal with El-rufai to sell his 2023 ambition to the North.

They've already started campaigning for El Rufai's 2023 presidency in Kaduna. There's even a billboard of El Rufai for president 2023 at Rigasa train station.

I hope what he's saying here is true.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by daddytime(m): 5:53am On Feb 24, 2020
Lol....politics.

If I can't have it, let's do a sell-out while I get a VP slot in preparation for 2031.

I too like short people.

6 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by helinues: 5:57am On Feb 24, 2020
Somebody is truly eyeing the VP position

But Osinbajo/Zulum is the best combo ever .. Double Prof

16 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Sirjamo: 6:02am On Feb 24, 2020
If not for some people who do not understand politics, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We told them to vote vote for Buhari, even if they hate him, it's just four more years and he would be gone for good; by now, we would just be waiting for for them to present a consensus candidate.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by seunmsg(m): 6:15am On Feb 24, 2020
JasonScoolari:

Power will return to the south in 2023 because it’s the right thing to do in the interest of the country. I know some of you are really pained but there is nothing you can do about it.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by StarUp: 6:46am On Feb 24, 2020
Someone in the South is giving this guy a deal of a lifetime...
Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Richkid97(m): 6:46am On Feb 24, 2020
Trust the midget at your own peril

4 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by DIKEnaWAR: 6:46am On Feb 24, 2020
We don't trust El Rufai. Maybe he has seen that his Presidential ambition is dead on arrival and has decided to run with Fayemi.

No northerner should rule this country for the next 100 years, if we want genuine progress as a nation. They keep taking the hand of the clock back.

13 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Flyingngel(m): 6:47am On Feb 24, 2020
For Elrufia to come up with this, it means the bargain he entered into with any Southern politician seeking the presidency in 2023 is good.
I know he can't say this without securing his future polically big time.

3 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by topshotnista(m): 6:47am On Feb 24, 2020
Well said

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Fr33born(m): 6:47am On Feb 24, 2020
I see
Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by punisha: 6:48am On Feb 24, 2020
sad

This short man isn't up-to any good.
I can bet my balls on this.

4 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by RaptObserver: 6:49am On Feb 24, 2020
I see
Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by wristwatchmg: 6:49am On Feb 24, 2020
Interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by soberdrunk(m): 6:49am On Feb 24, 2020
The solution to all this is simple, a modified 'regional government'---- 3 presidents from each of the major regions and they will all answer to the senate, each region conducts their own election based on National guidelines. Some people might scream 'cost' but that can be solved by degrading the expensive gubernatorial offices and election I.e governors will no longer be elected but appointed based on 'qualification' and merit.

9 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by adecz: 6:49am On Feb 24, 2020
angry

Who says the wicked one
shall be deh till 2•23? angry

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by KEVIND: 6:50am On Feb 24, 2020
If you think El rufai said this because he want to be fair to the south,It means you don't know the mentality of the 'born to rule' region( The Parasitic region) They have no choice. But i don't know about the rest of the south. What we want in the south south & by extension the south east is absolute resources control, they can keep the presidency forever.
You can't use the resources from my land to rehabilitate kill.ers and "bandits" and to develop your self imposed ravaged region while you contribute nothing but pain,poverty, illiteracy, deaths to this contraption called Nigeria.

18 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 by Nobody: 6:50am On Feb 24, 2020
Rubbish where was it said in the constitution. VID 0881 APC and PDP tag team to destroy Nigeria's fat black ass. Useless country filled with Tribal bigots, when I read the Accidental Public Servant that's when I realised how much of a tribal bigot he is. I've never heard this kind of rubbish from countries like Kenya and S.A they only care about how they will move forward, that is why they are moving ahead and we will forever remain stupid and stagnant.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

3 PDP Governors In Buhari’s Team To Cameroon / Jonathan Carrying Femi Fani-kayode's Son (Photo) / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.