Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,432 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Stereotype About Only Sons - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Stereotype About Only Sons (74265 Views)

Yoruba Couple & 4 Sons Celebrate 10th Wedding Anniversary In Matching Outfits / Man Teaches His Little Sons How To Smoke Sisha, Gets Blasted, He Fires Back / Meet Laye Ajube And Her 8 Sons And 2 Daughters (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stereotype About Only Sons by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 25, 2020
While I was out on my first date with my girlfriend, she asked me how many sibling I have, to which I replied. She then proceeded to ask the number of males and females. Then I told her I only have sisters. That moment, her face dropped because we were already Into each other, I could tell she was disappointed.

She tried to hide this, but I noticed. This was Probably because that wasn't the first time I would be getting that reaction from people especially women the moment I tell them I'm the only son of my parents.

I queried her on her sudden change of mood and she told me that she has had unfavorable relationship experiences (twice) in the past with only Sons and has vowed never to try it again. She reasoned that only Sons are too clingy to their families, overpampered, emotionally needy and dependent on their families and hardly have a mind of their own. She also accused the families of always trying to pilot the affairs of the guys even to the extent of making life changing decisions for them.

When i was young, I also had friends who thought I was pampered, showered with extraordinary love and care and that my parents can't turn down any request from me. But the truth is that I never got any special treatment from my parents. The same curtain wire, broom, hanger my mom used to whip my sisters, she also used on me.

My point is that it's unfair to lump people together and label them. If an only son happens to be clingy, it has nothing to do with his status. He would have still been that way if he had 10 brothers.

300 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Foodqueen(f): 1:38pm On Feb 25, 2020
Hmmmm!!!!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Slawormir: 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr

That is not true

Your girl friend knows nothing about what she is saying

Am also the only son
I got five female siblings

Huzzling go nearly finish you. Stress! You need a great sense of responsibility. You need mental strength
Some matter go happen ehnnn. Those girls nor go fit jump follow you. Na only you go face am. Sometimes you will feel lonely. You go dey huzzle dey use your money for reasonable things for the house but their own money them go dey use am for all type of hair styles: braiding, twisting, Rihanna, bob Marley, buy weavon. Fix okuku hair styles. Them go dey fix nails even fix nails when dey show light in the night. Them go dey mix expensive cream

The only thing i benefits is the unending love they do show me. They direct all their love towards me because girls actually don't love themselves! No household chores for me. I can wake up at anytime and eat.
Fear nor dey let them talk for outside but na for house them dey show muscle!

442 Likes 38 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by mayskit4luv(m): 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
Ok

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by ursullalinda(f): 1:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
My dear i understand you....is just that we all unconsciously judge according to what we see happened to others.....a family friend of ours married an only son.....After having four daughters through CS .....the family was still mounting pressure on her to give them a heir ......she stupidly dared the fifth one and narrowly escaped death.....funny enough the guys family still didn't appreciate her effort rather they wished her dead so they can take a second wife.....after that I vowed never to marry an only son.....But I have nephew's who are only son's and i wish someone marries them.....So OP don't take it personal is just a stereotype believe.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by vizkiz: 1:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
Bro...It is no stereotype but the absolute truth.

The level of favoritism that goes into being the only son is astonishing!

You are likened to the “Golden egg” who will carry the family’s legacy (hence being a spoilt child). Don’t allow the 21st century’s manipulation that all child are equal deceive you. You will always get favored by your parents than your siblings. undecided

This one you are complaining about being the only son, what do you want those of us who are the First born son to do?

Do you know the level of misconception directed towards our path? Abeg abeg no vex me this afternoon undecided

350 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by msmon(m): 1:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
We can only blame you @OP for this. DM for details.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by daewoorazer(m): 1:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
U may not be pampered, but having a lot of ‘iya oko’ is a red flag for ladies......

A lady is a cancer to another .... that’s how women reason....even nowadays, ladies hardly keep female friends

196 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by VICTORCIZA(m): 1:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
The number one issue is that only son normally die earlier (don't get me wrong because it not your portion in ijn) reason is that the eyes of the enemies is always on them.
but when there plenty boys the enemies will be confused who to channel their arsenal first and most time it will be on the first son.

35 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by SmartyPants(m): 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
AxelandRed:
While I was out on my first date with my girlfriend, she asked me how many sibling I have, to which I replied. She then proceeded to ask the number of males and females. Then I told her I only have sisters. That moment, her face dropped because we were already Into each other, I could tell she was disappointed.

She tried to hide this, but I noticed. This was Probably because that wasn't the first time I would be getting that reaction from people especially women the moment I tell them I'm the only son of my parents.

I queried her on her sudden change of mood and she told me that she has had unfavorable relationship experiences (twice) in the past with only Sons and has vowed never to try it again. She reasoned that only Sons are too clingy to their families, overpampered, emotionally needy and dependent on their families and hardly have a mind of their own. She also accused the families of always trying to pilot the affairs of the guys even to the extent of making life changing decisions for them.

When i was young, I also had friends who thought I was pampered, showered with extraordinary love and care and that my parents can't turn down any request from me. But the truth is that I never got any special treatment from my parents. The same curtain wire, broom, hanger my mom used to whip my sisters, she also used on me.

My point is that it's unfair to lump people together and label them. If an only son happens to be clingy, it has nothing to do with his status. He would have still been that way if he had 10 brothers.

Historical data and a number of scientific studies do not support this assertion.

35 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Ekakamba: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020

Girl's worry cause you'll remember your siblings first in wealth distribution before her (she go be remnant chopper especially as wuna never married).

She knows vividly that if you'd only male siblings, all your money na for you and her direct; but now? So many cake eaters on a small cake.

grin tongue

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Simplebeauty: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
grin

Like the Op has said it is "unfair to lump people together".
But when your sisters start dictating what happens in your home and your wife start reacting. Hope you won't say...."blood is thicker than water. You can't just come from nowhere and change that"

Do you know I can buy over your existing loans?

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by ShipChina2naija: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
She no lie my brother....

5 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
Only son, Lucky you!

2 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by uncleck: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
Actually, you may not really understand the impact you being the only son have on you. You might even think that you're a hard man. But the truth is, being the only son has enormous impact on you albeit unnoticeable by you.

However, that is too minimal and flimsy to be used in judging people. Only sons can either be good or bad like every other person

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
Ok
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by nakaman: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
nna ehh, nairaland need upgrade, see space Booker's everywhere, the last comment should always be seen first.

back to d topic. we are just 2 , n am d first son, just xey we too dey feel special to b d 1st issue of our parents.

3 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Oyiboman69: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
Yeye boyfriend

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Chijeep(m): 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
congratulations

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Architectben34(m): 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
I can't really relate

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Jh0wsef(m): 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
oj

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Serialchiller(f): 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
Oh,okay

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by valboyz2010(m): 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
Ha last born sweet pass when anybody Bleep up u go just to they gate they wait make papa come make u report them

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Christmasdon(m): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
first son and last child

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr

That is not true
dammmmnn niggar to nack bottle on top your head Dey hungry me undecided

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by wedeonline(m): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
AxelandRed:

Dont judge a book by its cover. I am an only son too, with 6 sisters. I know exactly how u feel..0

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Kobicove(m): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
There may be some truth in what the lady said
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
Architectben34:
I can't really relate

Exactly
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by candidbabe(f): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
Brb
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by karkinase(m): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
All this guys above are something elsegrin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pastor Gave Fake Prophecy That Destroyed My Marriage Of 10 Years / The Things Nigerian Women Do To Find Husbands(Men Beware) / My Dad Died Because He Slept With A Married Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.