Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,612 members, 7,861,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:39 PM

S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa (947 Views)

Gunmen Engage Joint Security Operatives In Gun Battle In Ihiala / 2023: Zoning Presidency To South "Not A Must" — Zulum / Gani Adams Commends OPC, Ibarapa Joint Security Team Over Arrest Of Wakilu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by HenryUbus12345(m): 8:01am On Feb 26, 2020
…Says Govs Favour Community Policing

The Tide

The South-South governors have yet to make any moves for a joint security outfit like Operation Amotekun in the South-West region, says the Chairman of South-South Governors’ Forum, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa.

Amotekun was set up by the South-West governors to check insecurity in the zone.

But Bayelsa, Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Edo and Delta States have yet to meet to consider a joint security outfit in the South-South despite glaring cases of security breaches, killings, kidnapping and rape of people in the region by criminal elements from other regions and outside the country.

The Delta State governor, who spoke through his Chief Press Secretary, Olise Ifeajika, said at the weekend, that the South-South governors were in favour of community policing.

Okowa said, “No move has been made to set up such an outfit in the region. If any move has been made, I’m not aware of it. But to the best of my knowledge, no move has been made.
“As I said before, community policing is the answer to the criminal activities in the region.”

It would be recalled that a group in the North, recently, launched Shege-Ka-Fasa aimed at complementing the efforts of the police and other statutory security agencies to tackle insecurity in the region.

However, the northern governors have since dissociated themselves from the initiative.

Meanwhile, Cross River State Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Asu Okang, said the state government was not aware if South-South governors were planning a regional security outfit.

Okang, however, said the establishment of such an outfit was a welcome development in view of the prevailing security challenges facing the country.

He said, “I am not aware of any such plans yet. I am not aware if South-South governors will attempt to duplicate what South-West governors have done.

“Operation Amotekun is a welcome development by all judgment and standards because it has got to a point in this country where zonal governments, even state governments and local governments, should be able to attempt and institute a security apparatus to be able to ensure that they protect their own people.

“The original intent of government or what the Constitution says about the primary responsibility of government is to provide security and welfare for its citizenry. Where you find the contrary, it is important that people rise up to find cooperative means of protecting themselves.

“You cannot sit in your house and wait for somebody to kill you first. A dead man doesn’t talk. So, I think that Amotekun is a welcome development, and I speak as Asu Okang. I am not speaking as Cross River State Government. I speak as an individual. The position of the state might be different, which I do not see being different.

Although Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike made efforts to establish the Neighbourhood Watch for the state, it is not clear if he is planning to mobilise his colleagues in the South-South on the way forward as far as security of the region is concerned.

In Edo State, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Communication Strategy, Crusoe Osagie, could not speak on the matter as a text message sent to him was ignored after he failed to answer several calls put across to him.

Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by helinues: 8:05am On Feb 26, 2020
Late comers always
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by Nobody: 8:10am On Feb 26, 2020
Community policing that would still be answerable to Abuja?

So Okowa is not only on the face but also in the brain.

Let them wait until South South is sacked.

Pathetic lots. Wanna be politically correct.
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by mrvitalis(m): 8:11am On Feb 26, 2020
helinues:
Late comers always
Nah ..south south is a mini Nigeria

There is no trust between them ...the main groups being the igbiod , ijaw, ediod , and akwa- cross don't trust each other really ...the small ones don't also want to be dominated

Honestly the only way Niger delta republic can survive is a very loose republic ....

1 Like

Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by helinues: 8:14am On Feb 26, 2020
mrvitalis:

Nah ..south south is a mini Nigeria

There is no trust between them ...the main groups being the igbiod , ijaw, ediod , and akwa- cross don't trust each other really ...the small ones don't also want to be dominated

Honestly the only way Niger delta republic can survive is a very loose republic ....

That is why they can never agree on ordinary appointments.

All regions in Nigeria get big problems but guess what, her natives will prefer to talk about other region than putting the fire on his roof off .

We still have a long way to go..
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by donbachi(m): 8:27am On Feb 26, 2020
Wetin concern her...as long as she dey see small money(13% derivation) wey she dey take buy make up and toiletries and small money wey she general 4rm her local customers we dey follow fvck her...na so she go talk.
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by autofreak2020(m): 8:28am On Feb 26, 2020
There is nothing like true federalism and regional governance. The problem of security is deeply rooted at the top. But I hope each region will do it with interest of their people at heart.

I am Abimbola, Lead Strategist at Kobobrand
. We help business owners with free business growth hacks.
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by adekolaelect(m): 8:30am On Feb 26, 2020
They can't do anything in corporation ,they don't have good leaders they only have noise maker and stupid followers.
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by Aidejay(m): 8:31am On Feb 26, 2020
South south should be adversely advocating for
1. Restructuring with full resource control
2. Urbanisation and industrialization
3. Environmental awareness and protection.
Frankly speaking if I was from that area I would gladly join any advocacy for a total overhaul of the Nigerian federalism. Cause I can t imagine providing the sources of income and revenue for African largest black nation and still be suffering unemployment, insecurities, environmental depletion and poverty. It's just unacceptable.
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 26, 2020
Well the topic has surfaced here before.

I think this...they are gunning for community policing

https://www.nairaland.com/5702145/favour-community-policing-south-south
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by Simplebeauty: 8:37am On Feb 26, 2020
Please add source
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by SisterFire(f): 8:40am On Feb 26, 2020
Shame on okowa ,shame on wike ,shame on my legion ,
...oil pride has destroyed south south , espiacially my tribe ikwerre ,

Ankkio Briggs pls help us get nigerdelta republic cos this greedy oil fools has destroyed us
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by JustinOwen(m): 8:47am On Feb 26, 2020
I hope my south-south people can cooperate on this issue...

Meanwhile, if you are looking for a side hustle or want to start earning online, there's a link in my signature that might help out. You don't have to ship and sell anything. It is for only those who are ready and determined to earn money.
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by mrvitalis(m): 9:38am On Feb 26, 2020
helinues:

That is why they can never agree on ordinary appointments.

All regions in Nigeria get big problems but guess what, her natives will prefer to talk about other region than putting the fire on his roof off .

We still have a long way to go..
Loose federation is the only answer ...
Re: S’south Not Ready For Joint Security Outfit -okowa by Dreambeat: 10:03am On Feb 26, 2020
South South is a marriage of strange bed fellows.Unity is not in their dictionary.Just like Nigeria, it was created out of exigency.Each ethnic group in the South is a 'sovereign nation' of its own.

(1) (Reply)

Adamawa Announces 50% Cut In Rents, Taxes, Overhead Cost / Gbagada Fitness Enthusiasts Sentenced To 30-day Community Service / Nigerians Rate President Buhari’s Performance After Five Years -"Extremely Poor"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.