Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Issue With My Toyota Highlander - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Issue With My Toyota Highlander (1961 Views)

Unending Delay: Please What Is The Issue With Grimaldi Line / Update: issue with Autoelectng resolved / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Issue With My Toyota Highlander by lwise(m): 11:15am On Feb 27, 2020
Hello Gurus in the house,

My Toyota highlander is giving me serious headache,the check engine light and the VSC light is on.I did a scan and I got this error code:

P0020
A camshaft position actuator circuit /open bank 2.

Im really scared of engaging the roadside mechanics as they may do more harm to the vehicle.
Has anyone experience such issue before?
Can I get a good toyota highlander expert that can fix this once and for all?
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by maynation(f): 11:20am On Feb 27, 2020
Cc.
Adanny01
Oh I forgot Adanny is only interested in Honda cars. tongue
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by lwise(m): 11:41am On Feb 27, 2020
maynation:
Cc.
Adanny01

Thanks for your response,he should be able to link me up with a toyota mechanic as well.
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by dicksonadams(m): 12:14pm On Feb 27, 2020
Cc boss nurey
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by hejikeme: 12:21pm On Feb 27, 2020
GAZZ to the rescue
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by adanny01(m): 12:24pm On Feb 27, 2020
maynation:
Cc.
Adanny01

I am driving a Toyota this moment. Should I spit on it? grin

Meanwhile, I excurted a friend to pick a 2009 Pontiac Vibe. Sweet car, but as normal with Toyota, we are coughing out almost 50k to change shocks.

My opinion is still that Honda is cheaper to maintain especially for the poor and civil servants. You may not agree but this is what I know, as far as experience has shown me.

1 Like

Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by maynation(f): 2:07pm On Feb 27, 2020
adanny01:

Meanwhile, I excurted a friend to pick a 2009 Pontiac Vibe. Sweet car, but as normal with Toyota, we are coughing out almost 50k to change shocks.

My opinion is still that Honda is cheaper to maintain especially for the poor and civil servants. You may not agree but this is what I know, as far as experience has shown me.

Me I know deep inside of you, you can't resist Toyota's awesomeness.tongue
Yeah, Honda is cheaper to maintain that is why I labelled it a poor man's car. grin
And ohh.. Pontiac vibe is nice, but I don't like the shape. Any thing compact sedan is a turn off and I didn't even know it's hard to maintain.
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by captainking(m): 2:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
lwise:

My Toyota highlander is giving me serious headache,the check engine light and the VSC light is on.I did a scan and I got this error code:

P0020

Im really scared of engaging the roadside mechanics as they may do more harm to the vehicle.

First things first.. Your location
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by adanny01(m): 4:34pm On Feb 27, 2020
maynation:

Me I know deep inside of you, you can't resist Toyota's awesomeness.tongue
Yeah, Honda is cheaper to maintain that is why I labelled it a poor man's car. grin
And ohh.. Pontiac vibe is nice, but I don't like the shape. Any thing compact sedan is a turn off and I didn't even know it's hard to maintain.

Let me tell you who I am.

I won't buy a Nissan, except for Frontier. If I would buy a Benz, it would be nothing less than 2008, specifically C, E or M class. I dont know jack about BMW. For Toyota, I wont buy a 2003-6 Corolla or Camry for obvious reasons, I prefer the Hilander against the Pilot. I prefer 2008 Corolla and above against Civic.

What I am saying is that I am not a brand specific guy. I go with what catches my eye and what rocks my boat.

I like the 2003-6 Vibe against the Matrix and I like the 2007-9 Matrix against the Vibe.

I like a Venza against Crosstour.

I am not a die hard fan of anything.

I prefer Buhari to Jonathan but am not an APC fan even though PDP irritates me.

I am not there nor here.

I love Benz but I agree its overrated.

2 Likes

Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by adanny01(m): 4:59pm On Feb 27, 2020
lwise:

P0020

This is fairly easy.

Find the sensor and make sure the connector and wiring is intact.
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by maynation(f): 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2020
adanny01:

Let me tell you who I am.

I won't buy a Nissan, except for Frontier. If I would buy a Benz, it would be nothing less than 2008, specifically C, E or M class. I dont know jack about BMW. For Toyota, I wont buy a 2003-6 Corolla or Camry for obvious reasons, I prefer the Hilander against the Pilot. I prefer 2008 Corolla and above against Civic.

What I am saying is that I am not a brand specific guy. I go with what catches my eye and what rocks my boat.

I like the 2003-6 Vibe against the Matrix and I like the 2007-9 Matrix against the Vibe.

I like a Venza against Crosstour.

I am not a die hard fan of anything.

I prefer Buhari to Jonathan but am not an APC fan even though PDP irritates me.

I am not there nor here.

I love Benz but I agree its overrated.
WOW!!!
This is actually awesome.smiley.
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by lwise(m): 6:09pm On Feb 27, 2020
captainking:
First things first.. Your location

I'm in Lagos for now,I can drive down to any part of Lag
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by ellalina(f): 6:29pm On Feb 27, 2020
adanny01:

Bro I need your help. My car does overheating every 10km or less. Radiator is OK. Its a Honda City 2007
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by captainking(m): 6:29pm On Feb 27, 2020
lwise:

I'm in Lagos for now,I can drive down to any part of Lag
Your location in Lagos depends on who you would meet..
Gazzuzz or mayor2013...or autologic would fix your car for you.. Contact any of them
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by adanny01(m): 6:42pm On Feb 27, 2020
ellalina:

Bro I need your help. My car does overheating every 10km or less. Radiator is OK. Its a Honda City 2007

Not enough information. Also, over heating is broad.

1st things 1st.

Does your coolant level drop? Do you frequently need to add water?

Does your cooling fan rotate? The direction of airflow needs to be confirmed.

If these are well, you need to confirm if the thermostat is still in the car and if it is stuck close.

Then confirm if your water pump actually works.
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by ellalina(f): 7:55pm On Feb 27, 2020
adanny01:

Not enough information. Also, over heating is broad.

1st things 1st.

Does your coolant level drop? Do you frequently need to add water?

Does your cooling fan rotate? The direction of airflow needs to be confirmed.

If these are well, you need to confirm if the thermostat is still in the car and if it is stuck close.

Then confirm if your water pump actually works.
yes the water in the radiator drops but not too much. Like one purewater will refill it.

The both fans are working and it's ok

I seriously don't know about thermostat but am suspecting it
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by adanny01(m): 8:12pm On Feb 27, 2020
ellalina:
yes the water in the radiator drops but not too much. Like one purewater will refill it.

The both fans are working and it's ok

I seriously don't know about thermostat but am suspecting it

How does it over heat? Does the temp gauge pass the middle? What exactly makes you think the car has overheated.

If water level drops, there must be a leakage. During overheating, you will need to find the leak.

Cooling fans can be working but blowing in the wrong direction which will not be effective.
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by ellalina(f): 8:54pm On Feb 27, 2020
adanny01:

How does it over heat? Does the temp gauge pass the middle? What exactly makes you think the car has overheated.

If water level drops, there must be a leakage. During overheating, you will need to find the leak.

Cooling fans can be working but blowing in the wrong direction which will not be effective.

It does not use a guage
It shows the red hot sign
The water in the radiator boils and
When the heat sign comes on, the AC stops working.
The radiator does not actually leak
I just checked the fan, it's blowing normal
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by adanny01(m): 9:41pm On Feb 27, 2020
ellalina:

It does not use a guage

Its very difficult to point in a direction but after rulling out cooling fan, leakage/pressure cap (because of the small amount of lost coolant), my remote guess will either be a failed water pump or thermostat stuck close.

To rule out the thermostat, you have to do a small test. At cold start, run the car at idle while you feel the rising temp from the top radiator pipe and the bottom. At first only the top should start warming but 5-10mins later the bottom pipe should be warm or hot. If the bottom pipe is cold after 10 mins, you probably have a stuck close thermostat.
Re: Issue With My Toyota Highlander by 9icetoo(m): 5:11am On Feb 28, 2020
ellalina:

It does not use a guage
Having ruled out some likely causes, replace your thermostat with a new one. It is not expensive and can be done in a few minutes.
I suspect your thermostat is sticking in the closed position.
Don't allow that red light come on again. Though that engine is strong, it is aluminium and will warp with prolonged overheating. If this fails to cure the overheating, then you may have failing water pump.

(1) (Reply)

2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid, Should I Import To Nigeria / Help, I Got Different Prices For Vehicle Change Of Ownership / Any Suggestion On BMW 3 Series?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.