Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,494 members, 7,770,218 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:41 AM

Landed In Calgary Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Landed In Calgary Canada (13273 Views)

As Foriegn Student That Just Landed In The Usa Airport What Will Be Asked By Us? / Nigerian Man Dies Aboard Plane That Landed In Houston. / Any Nairaland Member In Calgary , Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landed In Calgary Canada by Obeledu: 11:46pm On Dec 18, 2010
As a follow up to the attached link, this is the summary of the trip.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-272024.0.html

The trip to Calgary (Canada).

The family left warri to PHC international airport on 14th December to catch up with 9:00pm flight, there was a lot of apprehension as to whether we will meet up with the flight as there was a lot of traffic gridlock on the road. We arrive 30 minutes to the departure time and was the last group to be screened, there was one incident during the screening as some uniform men and women who called themselves agricultural people insisted that I must present to them the certificate of quarantine dry fish I am carrying. I tried to be tough by arguing with them, but at the end being that we came late I have to part with N2,000. They insisted that I should not board with the g rinded pepper, so I left that one with them.

There was a stop over at Abuja before heading to Frankfurt since our airline was Lufthansa, the flight from Abuja to Frankfurt was smooth and the meal served was okay. The stop over at the Frankfurt was for five hours, we were not bothered as we were busy doing window shopping.

The flight from Frankfurt to Calgary was the longest, more than 8hrs, I must not fail to commend Lufthansa for the quality of food and other services. The whole passengers were given a form from Canada immigration to file irrespective of whether you are a new immigrant or not. At calgary airport every passengers has to queue before immigration officer. At your turn ounce you mention you are for your landing, you will be ushered to another section, where you will be given some documents that contain address of the organization that helps new comers. It is important for you to check that your landing papers were signed by immigration officer, I did not noticed that he mistakenly did not sign my own paper. This cause me time and money because when the officer to issue me SIN card noticed that the paper was not signed she sent me back to them. After the immigration we are directed to the custom section and I was required to show to show the prove of fund. For the family of five we are required to show minimum of $23,400. The officer took her time to count the money, after which we were allowed to collect our luggages. From here you are on your own, I recommend that prior arrangement of airport pickup should be made.

The person who help us found house picked us to the house, it is a modest two bedroom flat that cost $950/month without utilities. It is a nice flat with washer, fridge, dryer and chair.

The weather is tough here, you cannot walk more than one kilometer without freezing. There are some places we would have walk to if not for the weather, instead we have to enter transit train. Things here are expensive compare to Nigeria, let me gives some instances:

Ticket for Calgary transit cost $2.75 for 90minutes,

Ovaltine Choc $9.98
Rice 8kg $11.67
milk $3.97

we subscribe to TV, Phone, and Internet for $80.00/month

I have gotten my SIN number while the card will come later. Next week I intends to register with Alberta health care and children school.

6 Likes

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Rare(m): 4:09am On Dec 19, 2010
@Obeledu. Welcome.
You are a brave soldier. Wow!!
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by DisGuy: 8:44pm On Dec 19, 2010
Interesting, I remember the other thread

2 Likes

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Busybody2(f): 12:31am On Dec 20, 2010
Wow, you took the plunge shocked Which is/was it shocked Is your own move permanent or are you intending to relocate back to Naija once your children are settled undecided Please tell us more, more, more cheesy

1 Like

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Obeledu: 12:59am On Dec 20, 2010
I will come back to Nigeria do some work, raise some money and then join the family. It is easy to make money in Nigeria than here, the only way for you to make money here is to work.

I will wait for the month to end for the cost of utilities, i just hope it dose not spiral out of control.

2 Likes

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Busybody2(f): 1:30am On Dec 20, 2010
Obeledu:

I will come back to Nigeria do some work, raise some money and then join the family. It is easy to make money in Nigeria than here, the only way for you to make money here is to work.

I will wait for the month to end for the cost of utilities, i just hope it dose not spiral out of control.

Awww congrats, a very wise decision you took too Sir.

As per the utility bills, it is the cold season, so the bill is going to be slightly higher than average, you would just need to be disciplined and get the children to keep an eye on it too. I wish you all the best in your sojourn. God bless you and your household. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Rare(m): 8:52am On Dec 20, 2010
Obeledu:

Anything wrong with that?

2 Likes

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by airmark(m): 11:55am On Dec 20, 2010
^^^^ I wonder . Anyways congrats Obeledu
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Busybody2(f): 12:12pm On Dec 20, 2010
Rare:

Anything wrong with that?

airmark:

^^^^ I wonder . Anyways congrats Obeledu

No need to get uppity, to spell it out, all he meant was that it is not easy to just waltz in and set up a business there cool

1 Like

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by yodiyokun(f): 5:58pm On Dec 20, 2010
Goodluck to you and your family.

Immigrating at over 40 is a lot of sacrifice, and can be a blow to your ego!.

But when all is said and done, it may be the best decsion you ever made in your life.

Make sure you have a plan and stick to it. If you are only theer to get citizenship and return home, plan for that and live like that.

Your comrade in Mississauga

2 Likes

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Rare(m): 12:53am On Dec 21, 2010
Busy_body:

No need to get uppity, to spell it out, all he meant was that it is not easy to just waltz in and set up a business there cool

I understand. @ OP , congrats !!

1 Like

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by omerese(m): 7:28am On Dec 21, 2010
welcome to canada! hope you are adjusting to the cold. maybe you can hook up for christmas with the family.
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Obeledu: 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2010
^^^^
If you are residing in Calgary let me know, may be you can make our Xmas. It will be wonderful if the whole family comes to your house to celeberate Xmas
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by omerese(m): 8:46pm On Dec 21, 2010
my brother, you can PM me for my ph# , my email is on my profile too. i am in calgary SW.
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Busybody2(f): 9:46pm On Dec 21, 2010
Obeledu:

^^^^
If you are residing in Calgary let me know, may be you can make our Xmas. It will be wonderful if the whole family comes to your house to celeberate Xmas

lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by chelseabmw(m): 3:18am On Dec 23, 2010
family reunion
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Osama10(m): 3:40am On Dec 23, 2010
chelseabmw:

family reunion

grin grin grin
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by namebedis1: 10:59am On Dec 24, 2010
will be in canada in a few weeks and just wanted to know where would be ideal for a newcomer to settle quickly that is relatively cheap and not too stressful to get a job.
Also i would like to know if its possible to get cash jobs while on a visitors visa,even if working underground before i finalise my status change.
your response is greatly needed folks

thnaks

2 Likes

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by namebedis1: 11:00am On Dec 24, 2010
will be in canada in a few weeks and just wanted to know where would be ideal for a newcomer to settle quickly that is relatively cheap and not too stressful to get a job.
Also i would like to know if its possible to get cash jobs while on a visitors visa,even if working underground before i finalise my status change.
your response is greatly needed folks

thnaks
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Obeledu: 3:37pm On Dec 24, 2010
^^^^
Any province or city you decide to settle is okay, but bear in mind that the cost of living is directly related to availability of job. In Calgary there are a lots of job opening but the housing here is on higher side. The housing is the main thing here, if you are able to take care of it , then every other thing falls into places.

2 Likes

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Osama10(m): 6:55pm On Dec 24, 2010
Obeledu:

^^^^
Any province or city you decide to settle is okay, but bear in mind that the cost of living is directly related to availability of job. In Calgary there are a lots of job opening but the housing here is on higher side. The housing is the main thing here, if you are able to take care of it , then every other thing falls into places.

Does this compare to the housing in UK?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by igbonla(m): 6:40pm On Dec 25, 2010
Obeledu,

Welcome and wish you success,

Your comrade in Vaughan!

yodiyokun:

Goodluck to you and your family.

Immigrating at over 40 is a lot of sacrifice, and can be a blow to your ego!.

But when all is said and done, it may be the best decsion you ever made in your life.

Make sure you have a plan and stick to it. If you are only theer to get citizenship and return home, plan for that and live like that.

Your comrade in Mississauga

hi yodiyokun,
You are so near, did I see you on redflag?

Merry Christmas

1 Like

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by chelseabmw(m): 11:39pm On Dec 26, 2010
Osama10:

grin grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by ifegy: 5:16pm On Dec 27, 2010
Welcome and all the best!
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by hercules07: 3:30pm On Dec 28, 2010
When I landed the immigration guy did not check my proof of funds, he asked and I told him how much I had and he said okay.

1 Like

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Rare(m): 5:37am On Dec 29, 2010
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by akinalabi(m): 10:08am On Dec 29, 2010
I love it when people make brave decisions. Congrats.

But this one wey u wan come Naija come pack our moni go obodo oyinbo no sweet me grin

1 Like

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Obeledu: 1:47am On Dec 30, 2010
hercules07:

When I landed the immigration guy did not check my proof of funds, he asked and I told him how much I had and he said okay.

I think what happened was that the lady is new, because the way she was asking questions surprised me. It is always good to be prepared because you never know what awaits you.

The weather here is really tough, I noticed that most blacks I am seeing here are Somalian and Keyans. You know them by their very black skin

1 Like

Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Delta007(m): 2:35am On Dec 30, 2010
Welcome Obeledu.

Just a point; if you can get an apartment with utilities (especially heating) included, you'd do fine. Someone from Nigeria will pay alot for heating during the winter.

BTW, good to know you took some of our advice. Goodluck with your "hustle".
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by hercules07: 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2010
Ol boy, I no dey enter that Canada until Summer, ordinary 10 degrees man wan freeze.
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by Obeledu: 5:53pm On Dec 31, 2010
Today, I bought money order totaling CAD70.5 to be send to Nigerian high commission Ottawa for the revalidation of wife driving license and my own. This is necessary for the issuance of class 5 license after road test
Re: Landed In Calgary Canada by mymarket: 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2010
congrats to u obeledu, may God grant u his help. Have a nice time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Allen Onyema: Air Peace Chose Gatwick Airport For Lagos-London Flights / A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together / FG Announces 24-hour Total Closure Of Third Mainland Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.