Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Disability Awareness In Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Disability Awareness In Nigeria (10406 Views)

Gtbank Raises Cultural Awareness In Children…promotes Mother Tongue Through Sks / Awareness On Ebola Virus Made In Igbo Language / Calabar Women Awareness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by kristonium(m): 1:55am On Dec 23, 2010
Gboliwe:

Did you say bank?thats the last place that'l take a physically changed girl.
They'l rather go for a silly but sexy school leaver than take me a disabled business administration degree holder!
Wicked world

my dear, stop using the word 'disabled' for yourself.u are not disabled but physically challenged.ok.please do not be bitter against the system but lets look inward and find a way of creating a revolution.u can be the change the whole world is waiting for.lets start now.my contact again:xtristolink@gmail.com.

Cheers baby!
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 8:40am On Dec 23, 2010
Gboliwe:

Did you say bank?thats the last place that'l take a physically changed girl.
They'l rather go for a silly but sexy school leaver than take me a disabled business administration degree holder!
Wicked world

This is sad, but it's the way of human. It's just something about the physical. Someone once said we are physical beings, and I must say, This is SADLY true.

It happens to everyone. We see a very ripe apple in the market, and we choose it instead of the not too ripe apple. We forget that we live 4 hours away from the market, not counting traffic/hold up. We forget that when we get home, there might be no light, and thus we can't keep the apple in the fridge to keep it safe. We immediately pick the very ripe apple thinking haa, "Ha! This is the best of the bunch". We don't pay attention to the possibilities that a not too ripe apple is what we should buy.
I am not going to go around faulting humans for immediately discarding or not giving two thoughts to a person who is physically challenged/disabled/crippled/lame/diseased or whichever word you want to use. I have come to realize that I don't need to direct my energy towards those people, but rather towards the people who have been able to look past that!
And I commend you for having a degree sir! This is the way to go,  Too often I see disabled people who say "Well what is the point, I have done all I could do and nobody cares, I might as well remain as I am". And they don't strive to do something else worthwhile with themselves! When you are already lacking in one aspect, I believe you should do all you can do to make yourself better in other aspects that you are able to better at. Don't just give up entirely in all aspects.

@ Ibo Man. First I thank God for your life. Thanks for sharing your story and for teaching at the hospital you were at.
I thank God for your mother in your life, and I must say, indeed it helps a great deal when you have loving people by your side! I know this, first hand.
Believing, I sure will, because I know nothing is impossible with my God.
I understand what you mean when you say you still can't go into some places. It's sad that a person using a stick is still being prejudiced against. I mean, what should the person on a wheelchair then say?
I really believe that until people who they themselves are disabled begin to talk, a lot will not get done.

You can see someone and "pity" them, but you really don't know how it feels walking in  their shoes. So I urge people who have "been there" to raise their voices and allow yourself to BE heard.
Also, people who have Very close family members in this position, and you know how it is, you need to raise your voice and be heard. Until then, not much will be done.
Thank you for raising your voice Ibo Man. I Believe your speech must have helped in some way or the other.

Ibo Man:

Hot Angel . I hope to do something with you for humanity anything. No matter how small I'd like to give back something
cheers cheesy
I would love that as well, God willing. You have the right start already. By going back to that teaching hospital.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 9:05am On Dec 23, 2010
kristonium:

my dear, stop using the word 'disabled' for yourself.u are not disabled but physically challenged.ok.please do not be bitter against the system but lets look inward and find a way of creating a revolution.u can be the change the whole world is waiting for.lets start now.my contact again:xtristolink@gmail.com.

Cheers baby!
Sir, I myself was very cautious with this word Disabled. Before I created this thread, it was something I struggled with severely.
I did however come to realize that for this thread to be understood, for the situation at hand to be very well understood, there IS no point sugar-coating it.
There is no point using words such as physically challenged, unable to walk, unable to stand, not totally mobile, bed ridden, standing on one foot and limping on the other, demonstrating inability to walk, or Whatever other derivatives of the word disabled there are.

Using the word does not mean you are accepting of the position. It doesn't mean you're being bitter, or angry, or sad. What matters is NOT the word you use to describe the situation, What matters is the awareness being brought to the situation.

For you to understand the magnitude of the position he's in, and what he's going through, that word had to be used. We don't say the motherless babies are "parentally challenged". We call them motherless babies so that they can get awareness to the situation, and people can go adopt the babies.

People like when things are sugar coated because lets face it, it makes us smile and help us to continue living our lives. Abi? But no, Change is necessary, so no sugar coating allowed.  smiley
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by IboMan1(m): 12:12am On Dec 24, 2010
True word! why sugar coat it . In a forum like this I'd tell it as it is
because it gives eyes to the words and brings reality to every feeling and emotion felt.
Not that one wants pity but a clearer picture of what we are trying to share is seen.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by brill: 10:22pm On Dec 24, 2010
Threads like this re enforce the need to set up mechanisms/strategies to help get the physically challenged
into work.
I work with in the UK with an agency set up to help people with mental /physical challenges back into work. the programme has had resounding
success because the government is fully supportive , note that the government pays us a finders fees for getting people back into, we work with the members/clients help them with training etc after a (diagnostic analysis of their needs/wants).

The legislation governing disability is also adhered to, to a large extent and i suppose this makes it a lot easier for us to place people into, Nigerian Govt take note,

To cut a long story short, I have mentioned a desire to do this sort of work in Nigeria and I have had people tell me not to worry as i will not have any buy in from the government, the lady who stated her lack of employment as a result of bad leg struck a chord, after all the hassles of education in Nigeria, and finding out that there are no prospects for employment, it is a real shame, i intend to revisit my write up and see how I can use my expertise in this field to better the lot of Nigerian graduates with health related issues gain employment,

In the interim HR professional /recruiters should give a helping to the challenged where ever possible,

The enabler,
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Gboliwe: 8:39am On Dec 25, 2010
Its really a shame.
I wouldnt want to bore any body with details of what i've gone through in my search for a job and 90% of the reason why i'm still unemployed is my badleg.
I watch people organisations employ staff who cant stand at par with me in spoken or written english, aptitude test result,presentation skill or any other method being used to employ.
I'm such a . . . . . . .God help me!
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by tunde247: 9:28am On Dec 25, 2010
give them a chance
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 12:54am On Dec 28, 2010
Ibo Man:

True word! why sugar coat it . In a forum like this I'd tell it as it is
because it gives eyes to the words and brings reality to every feeling and emotion felt.
Not that one wants pity but a clearer picture of what we are trying to share is seen.

True statement!!

---
I'm glad that this thread has given others with disability problems a chance to express themselves.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by marabout(m): 6:48pm On Dec 28, 2010
Hot-angel,
Thanks for bringing up this topic.

@Gboliwe

Sad to hear that people still prefer less competent "able-bodied" people to people with some physical challenge with more skills/abilities even if they are not going to do agbero/garage boy or carry headpan on a building site. TELL people here on NL the kind of job you are looking for. ADVERTISE yourself.  You never know.

@Ibo man
Sorry to hear your story and thank GOD for the progress you made.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Gboliwe: 10:31pm On Dec 28, 2010
I literally live in the 'jobs and vacancy' section on Nairaland. I read Accountancy. I would appreciate if I get a job in my area of study
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 8:11am On Jan 04, 2011
Hello All,

This Post I saw today on Nairaland made me happy, 

You all should check it out, 
Omotola Jalade Visits Disabled Children and helps them. Click to view full story

Also, I saw a NIGERIAN MOVIE Titled FELICIMA!

It is exactly what we need in Nigeria. A Movie about awareness to Disability in Nigeria. Please Get the movie if you can, and watch it.

It's also available to watch for free on www.ghananation.com In the Movies/Videos section.

PLEASE WATCH IT IF YOU CAN! I am soo happy today after seeing these two things. Omotola doing a good deed. And Genevieve Nnaji in a Movie that REALLY raises awareness to Disability in Nigeria! I am Glad! smiley
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 10:36am On Jan 04, 2011
Touching stories, God will surely be you people's comfort and the fact that you ladies/gents have refused to suck up on fate, i believe the end will justify the means.

If you guys/girls can lay your hands on this movie (Heroes of our time), you'd be motivated and challenged to do more than what you ever set out for.

Being physically challenge does not make the brain less complete, rather i believe physically challenged peeps even are more intellectually complete than the "able bodied" guys/girls.

One more thing, you can also do something on your own, something you don't need any employment for, there are things you can do with yourself and not because you have a degree or something of sort, but because you really can do something with yourself without the society limiting you.

Give yourself some break, think of what you can give that others are not giving (service), you'd be surprised the outcome of what you get at the end of the day.

And as for the buildings not having facilities for disabled people, it's all over Nigeria and it might be very difficult for it to change soon.

1 Like

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 11:48am On Jan 06, 2011
Touching story. Good gesture. May God almighty bless you and your cause.

1 Like

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by unipol(m): 2:26am On Jan 09, 2011
God bless you my sweet sister, this is a very motivational message, keep it on.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by honeyfave: 12:28pm On Feb 14, 2011
i dont even know what to write, but all i want to say is that God almighty will see u through in d awareness program. pls use this thread to update us on the crusade. i dont mind contributing my own quater finacially. U will surely walk again in Jesus name
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Opoki(m): 2:18pm On Feb 20, 2011
i feel heavy hearted reading this. My prayer is that God should heal immiediately as i'm typing this reply. U are healed in jesus name.

1 Like

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 11:30am On Apr 09, 2011
Amen to your prayers. I thank you all for taking out the time to read this.

Currently, I'm still in school, and trying to finish my final year. After which, by the grace of God I could start to see into the things I can do to help make this awareness exactly what I envision it to be.
In the mean time, I can only urge you all to be considerate and be the beginning of the change we all want to see in the issue of Disability in Nigeria.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by chines4(m): 1:33pm On Apr 18, 2011
@Hot-Angel
Your really an angel. I like your spirit keep it up. Am touched really touched, and its for good
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:48am On Apr 19, 2011
this is sad undecided undecided
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Gboliwe: 7:17am On May 15, 2011
We dont need pity, we just need love and acceptance.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 15, 2011
I hope you all stay strong.
-Gboliwe, how's the job search going? I pray you'll find something soon. Don't lose hope.
-Graciousme(Kemi), your positivity's so admirable.
-Ibo Man, your mom sounds like an incredible woman.
The Nurses' treatment of her was unacceptable, as well as their treatment of patients in general.
They shouldn't be treating people like that.
I'm glad you got better.
-And Hot-Angel, you're just so full of heart. I'm glad God's using you to be a voice in this.

I don't know if you guys have seen this video. It was posted last week in another thread by wendytilda:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=661731.msg8275480#msg8275480

I thought it's something you would be interested in watching:

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC_NOCIi7Rw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="[/flash]
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:26am On May 17, 2011
nice thread.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 4:31am On Jul 22, 2011
I hope you're all still helping those around you who need help? The Lord is your strength.  wink

@Yield, I just watched the video you posted, and I must say, That about sums it all up. I pray the change continues.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by ymkz: 11:45am On Aug 24, 2011
Dear Angel,

Using this opportunity to wish you a very happy birthday, and many happy returns. Long life, and prosperity.

Hip hip hip! HURRAY !

We love you much and will continue to keep you and yours in our prayers.

You are an inspiration !
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by chines4(m): 11:53am On Aug 24, 2011
Happy Birthday, and have fun

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by akinboj308(m): 1:56pm On Sep 23, 2011
for your fastest iwp server call this number 08020554167 or akinbowaleo70@gmail.com, testing also available
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by SirKay3(m): 4:25pm On Oct 10, 2011
@ hot-angel,

I surely believe that you'll surely walk perfectly again soon by God's grace. So sad, after reading through your story. It is well with you.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by dustydee: 10:09pm On Oct 10, 2011
I was awed by the provision made by EVERY institution/organization here in the uk. seems. like it is a norm, there's no where you go to that does not have access for the physically challenged, including taxis. It got me thinking about Nigeria for the past few weeks, we have a very long way to go.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by lakal(m): 12:02am On Oct 11, 2011
I recall reading a story about the female regent of Apoiland in Ondo State who runs a foundation for the disabled. The programme is sponsored by the wife of the Ondo State governor.

http://ikalevoice.com/4/?p=888
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by darocha1: 12:57pm On Aug 23, 2015
Hello, Did this dream die a natural cause or it has begun.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2015
omobachi:
You will walk again my dear, just last month a friend of mine walked again after 6 year on wheelchair cos she never gave up. Take care. wink

How did it happen?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Horn Africans Are NOT BLACK / Full List: Hausa Is World’s 11th Most Spoken Language / Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.