Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,316 members, 7,842,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state (38824 Views)

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos / Why Is The Yoruba Not United In Business & Politics / How A Tribe, Kilba, In Adamawa Bury Their Dead (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 12:16pm On Mar 31, 2020
nlPoster:

Dont call real people half blooded please, it's very rude.

Mixed is the appropriate term.

https://www.nairaland.com/5765389/dont-call-people-half-blooded

I know Nigerians hate being told to mind their utterances but you really ought to know better because I'm sure you're an adult.

If political correctness is the only issues here, no problem, point taken.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by nlPoster: 12:16pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

If political correctness is the only issues here, no problem.

It's not political correctness, it's about having manners.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Opiletool(m): 12:18pm On Mar 31, 2020
gomojam:
which Epe? Abeg stop allocating unnecessary importance to unworthy kingdom. They were incapable of that or you provide the evidence for that.

Don't mind the idiot. He even mentioned far away Idanre.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 12:51pm On Mar 31, 2020
nlPoster:

It's not political correctness, it's about having manners.

However I choose to address my family members is actually none of your business.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2020
Opiletool:

cc: gomojam

Those Binis are deluded actually.

Nothing of such actually happened, in any of those places, as they love to claim.

Spread the word: Bini Nairalanders are a bunch of diagnosed mythomaniacs! cheesy

Having spread that, you may like to see my comment at the link below. I recall we once discussed something like this:

https://www.nairaland.com/5738539/benin-governor-kneels-greet-king/14#87905826

Cheers!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Opiletool(m): 3:37pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

Nothing of such actually happened, in any of those places, as they love to claim.

Spread the word: Bini Nairalanders are a bunch of diagnosed mythomaniacs! cheesy

Having spread that, you may like to see my comment at the link below. I recall we once discussed something like this:

Cheers!

They act like unleashed internet urchins, making dubious claims here and there.

As for your comment on the other thread, absolutely brilliant. I'd still want you to expand more on the Ethiopia angle though. Maybe research more on the claims of that friend of yours.

Also, how do you see the claim of similarity between yoruba language and old semitic language?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

Nna me, biko I don't hate Igbos, they are my beloved, just that it's sometimes appropriate to educate you guys, you will be surprised how many Igbo half blood nephews, nieces and cousins I have in my family, not to talk of fantastic inlaws, friends and business associates.

This is the very reason someone like me will never support Biafra break away and another war against the Igbos.

People like yourself can keep dreaming about Biafra that will never materialised.

Biafra will happen like dreaming. Continue campaigning against it instead of supporting it.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by nlPoster: 4:06pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

However I choose to address my family members is actually none of your business.

Specify you are referring to your relatives next time, and it's better to say it to their faces, not nairaland. So they can let you know if they are ok with it.

We dont know you or your family members so dont involve us in your personal issues or however you want to refer to them.

Your lack of manners is still something you should consider important.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 4:22pm On Mar 31, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Biafra will happen like dreaming. Continue campaigning against it instead of supporting it.

Biafra will only happen when you stop chasing shadows and know your real enemies, as it stands, most of you can't tell your enemies from your friends.

The so called minorities are not your enemies in the south but the Yorubas.

You guys are having the same problem Ojukwu had by not being able to tell his enemy from his friends.

Ojukwu was the one that released Awolowo from Enugu prison where he was serving 10 years prison term for treason.

Ojukwu thought Awolowo will support his Biafra and it was reported that Awolowo actually promised that if the Igbos leave Nigeria the Yorubas will.

Ojukwu went into the war believing this only for Awolowo to join Gowon's government when he got to Lagos and was advising the Nigeria government on how to win the war.

One of his advice was for Gowon to introduce economic blockade of the east to stop food from getting to the Igbos, he said that you can't keep feeding your enemies to have the strength to be fighting you.

This single policy resulted in the mass starvation of the Igbos and millions died. More Igbos died from starvation than bullets and guns.

After the war Awolowo as finance minister only compensated Igbos that lost their money in Nigeria banks with 20 naira only.

When Nigeria decided to nationalised foreign owned companies, Awolowo gave his Yoruba people loans to buy the shares of those companies and the Igbos were not able because they only got 20 naira for their lost money in Nigeria banks.

The Yoruba took over Igbo political position in Nigeria and moved from the position of opposition in the 1960s to their current position and Igbos still haven't recovered since then.

So you must first identify your friends and your enemies.

I already told about the relationship between the east and mid west before the war, but Ojukwu and his Biafra decided to invade and occupied a neutral mid west rather than take the fight to his enemies.

While he was wasting time in mid west expecting Awolowo to declare Oduduwa republic, the federal troops were strategising with Awolowo help on how to defeat Biafra.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 4:30pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

Biafra will only happen when you stop chasing shadows and know your real enemies, as it stands, most of you can't tell your enemies from your friends.

The so called minorities are not your enemies in the south but the Yorubas.

You guys are having the same problem Ojukwu had by not being able to tell his enemy from his friends.

Ojukwu was the one that released Awolowo from Enugu prison where he was serving 10 years prison term for treason.

Ojukwu thought Awolowo will support his Biafra and it was reported that Awolowo actually promised that if the Igbos leave Nigeria the Yorubas will.

Ojukwu went into the war believing this only for Awolowo to join Gowon's government when he got to Lagos and was advising the Nigeria government on how to win the war.

One of his advice was for Gowon to introduce economic blockade of the east to stop food from getting to the Igbos, he said that you can't keep feeding your enemies to have the strength to be fighting you.

This single policy resulted in the mass starvation of the Igbos and millions died. More Igbos died from starvation than bullets and guns.

After the war Awolowo as finance minister only compensated Igbos that lost their money in Nigeria banks with 20 naira only.

When Nigeria decided to nationalised foreign owned companies, Awolowo gave his Yoruba people loans to buy the shares of those companies and the Igbos were not able because they only got 20 naira for their lost money in Nigeria banks.

The Yoruba took over Igbo political position in Nigeria and moved from the position of opposition in the 1960s to their current position and Igbos still haven't recovered since then.

So you must first identify your friends and your enemies.

I already told about the relationship between the east and mid west before the war, but Ojukwu and his Biafra decided to invade and occupied a neutral mid west rather than take the fight to his enemies.

While he was wasting time in mid west expecting Awolowo to declare Oduduwa republic, the federal troops were strategising with Awolowo help on how to defeat Biafra.

This is the one real load of good write up, I undoubtedly agreed to...

The scenerio was well captured...

Today the children of Awolowo are denying that it wasn't Ojukwu that released awolowo.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 4:32pm On Mar 31, 2020
Opiletool:

They act like unleashed internet urchins, making dubious claims here and there.

As for your comment on the other thread, absolutely brilliant. I'd still want you to expand more on the Ethiopia angle though. Maybe research more on the claims of that friend of yours.

Also, how do you see the claim of similarity between yoruba language and old semitic language?

Thanks for your time bro. Those Binis are mere frustrated noise makers. And we all know the reason for their frustration. It's an open secret. grin

Yeah, I will read on the Kisra episode, I haven't began any serious reading on it yet.

However, there is quite concrete evidence on ground already --- regarding the North-Africa/NorthEast Africa connection --- which establishes fairly definitively that the direction of migration (of the civilization who made those monoliths) was upward, and not downward.

That day I was too tired to pursue the details of the proof and referencing for that point, in that same comment. Moreover, I was only about five words near the word limit for a Nairaland comment. I will definitely return to it in a separate comment.

Regarding the alleged similarity between "old Semitic" languages and Yoruba language:

I once passionately held the view of a similarity of languages which led me to the popular conclusion of direct causation. No, it's a big fallacy with tons of setback.

My fair reading on the subject has shown quite clearly that some words are bound to sound alike (and mean the same thing) in almost every two randomly selected languages.

A proefssor of Yoruba language or Yoruba history (I can't remeber which specifically at the moment) once went to teach in Japan. Guess what! He returned with many Japanese words which not only sounds similar to Yoruba words, but also have same meanings.

Iṣ(é) in Turkish also means work. Have you considered the English word Me and it Yoruba equivalent? Or even the English word Our. Many more examples can be found in virtually all languages.

What do we then conclude from all these?:

That the Yoruba people are originally Japanese, Turkish, Anglo-Saxon, and many, many more all at the same time?

Or that this indeed corroborates the glottochonological linguistic view that all modern languages have evolved slowly over milleniums from few fairly mutually intelligible proto-languages?

Or that several of the observed similarities are in fact what linguists term accidental coincidences?

These last two cases obviously seem to be more tenable in contrast to the first which is extremely unlikely if not ridiculous.

So, the observed similarities with ancient "Semitic" (several of which are sheer exaggeration or outright falsehoods) are nothing unique.

In fact, you can make almost any word in a language sound like (and have some quite related meaning to) another word in another language.

It's all a function of your perfect ingenuity, strong imagination, and high intuition.

cc: macof

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 4:42pm On Mar 31, 2020
MelesZenawi:

This is the one real load of good write up, I undoubtedly agreed to...

The scenerio was well captured...

Today the children of Awolowo are denying that it wasn't Ojukwu that released awolowo.

It may also interests you to know that it was also
reported that the Igbo military officers that planned and executed the failed coup intended to release Awolowo from prison and made him the prime minister of Nigeria because they thought Tafawa government was too corrupt.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

It may also interests you to know that it was also
reported that the Igbo military officers that planned and executed the failed coup intended to release Awolowo from prison and made him the prime minister of Nigeria because they thought Tafawa government was too corrupt.

Was awolowo really in the picture then, though Balewa was now making Government looks petty and weak. That's how buhari joined millitary with no certificate.

That would have been another mistake has awolowo taken that position. Those guys can't be trusted.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by nisai: 5:00pm On Mar 31, 2020
Opiletool:

She no know weytin she dey yarn

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 31, 2020
Opiletool:

I just weak bro. If you are not well informed about a subject commonsense demands you stay on the sideline and learn rather than joining the debate and become a handicap to your team.

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 5:12pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

Cheers!
I am proud of you. May God bless the womb that carried and deliver a lady like you.

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

Are the Igbos now calling on Yoruba to come and bail them out? Lol.
Are you shivering already?

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by gregyboy(m): 5:38pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:
Nice one macof!

Keep up the great service.

I will also be joining in to this debate in the nearest time.

Keep schooling the deliberately ignorant Edo slave of the Yorubas, that is, ghostwon ---whom I have beaten blue and black so much as to cause him to dissociate himself from his prolog3111 account.

It appears it is hightime he dissociated himself from this account ghostwon account as well.

One thing you can be sure of is that, he feels extremely inferior to you for your being Yoruba, but at the same time he is a diagnosed mythomaniac.

Encountering a Yoruba persons brings him agonizing memories of the conquest of yore which he is nevertheless stuck with as an Edo.

I kind of understand his frustrations to be frank, despite often using him for entertainment and leisure.

But what he needs to realize as a matter of urgency is that the quantum of quality schooling he has received at our hands --- as proud and noble Yorubas that we are --- can severely damage and destroy his self-inflicted ignorance.

ghostwon aka prolog3111, you can't continue living a lie, or can you? grin

I had confronted you about the oghene you link to yoruba as wrong, you all have resulted in twisting history to benefits your aims

Nonsense tribe edos are akways hete to debunk your fake lies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 5:42pm On Mar 31, 2020
gomojam:
Are you shivering already?

Shivering?

The Benin know that current day Yorubas are made up of the original indigines that inhabit that space and those whose ancestors were returned from Latin America, Sierra Leone after the abolition of slavery and those from Dahomey.

When we hear some of you saying, Benin never did this, Benin never did that, we understand because your ancestors may not have been returned to Nigeria from Latin America where they were cutting sugar canes and picking cottons from sugar cane and cotton plantations of Latin America.

When the Benin is reluctant to engage some Yoruba, they are just avoiding downgrading themselves because you don't know who you may be engaging because Yorubas come in different shades and colours.

Not all who claim to be Yorubas are Omo luwabi.

Some of you are the ones that argue Lagos history and history of Lagos monarchy with the Oba of Lagos.

One of your compatriots has already told you guys how Benin decimated everything around them, she may be the only true and original Yoruba indigines around here that knows her/Yoruba history, I do not expect the rest of you to know and that's fine by us because your ancestors were not around then.

You can keep arguing with yourselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by lx3as(m): 6:12pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

If political correctness is the only issue here, no problem, point taken but we will not allow our beautiful Igbo wives to become citizens of one funny yeye country that will be called Biafra.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by lx3as(m): 6:13pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

Shivering?

The Benin know that current day Yorubas are made up of the original indigines that inhabit that space and those whose ancestors were returned from Latin America, Sierra Leone after the abolition of slavery and those from Dahomey.

When we hear some of you saying, Benin never did this, Benin never did that, we understand because your ancestors may not have been returned to Nigeria from Latin America where they were cutting sugar canes and picking cottons from sugar cane and cotton plantations of Latin America.

When the Benin is reluctant to engage some Yoruba, they are just avoiding downgrading themselves because you don't know who you may be engaging because Yorubas come in different shades and colours.

Some of you are the ones that argue Lagos history and history of Lagos monarchy with the Oba of Lagos.

One of your compatriots has already told you guys how Benin decimated everything around them, she may be the only true and original Yoruba indigines around here that knows her/Yoruba history, I do not expect the rest of you to know and that's fine by us because your ancestors were not around then.

You're still here blabbing, instead of you to
cover your face in shame with irrelevant and
fake submissions you and your ilks gave on
public forum like this. You've been busted
badly already.
If I were you I would ponder on where Bini is today and where Yorubas are? Yorubas (and their culture and religions) have continue to expand to every angle of the world and Bini has
diminished to less than 5 local government
areas which Ijaws and others are dragging
with them. A blind and deaf can easily tell
which is great among these two and who is telling the truth.
You and your friends can continue to dance naked in an open market, no one will beg you; we are always around...

5 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

Shivering?

Which ancestors? Where were they taken before they returned?

Of course you are gonna agree to her narrative because it inflated your shallow ego. Our 'compatriot' was the same as you Ignorant Benins who are not well versed in history but are quick to reeling out fairytales due to blind patriotism.

Peddle your falsehood else where; an inferior group to yours. Those who do not have strong foundation and account of history to counter your revisionist agenda, not the intellectually fitted and tactical people like the Yorubas.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 6:32pm On Mar 31, 2020
lx3as:

You're still here blabbing, instead of you to
cover your face in shame with irrelevant and
fake submissions you and your ilks gave on
public forum like this. You've been busted
badly already.
If I were you I would ponder on where Bini is today and where Yorubas are? Yorubas (and their culture and religions) have continue to expand to every angle of the world and Bini has
diminished to less than 5 local government
areas which Ijaws and others are dragging
with them. A blind and deaf can easily tell
which is great among these two and who is telling the truth.
You and your friends can continue to dance nicked in an open market, no one will beg you; we are always around...

Who is more authentic when it comes to history is not by population or land mass.

Rome is now almost just confined to the Vatican today and that doesn't mean that they didn't civilised Europe.

Rome colonised England for 400 years and we can still see their many footprints all over England and Europe.

Can you compare the size and population of England let alone the rest of Europe they once control with Rome today?

Like I said before, to engage some of you is to belittle one self.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 6:41pm On Mar 31, 2020
gomojam:
Which ancestors? Where were they taken before they returned?

Of course you are gonna agree to her narrative because it inflated your shallow ego. Our 'compatriot' was the same as you Ignorant Benins who are not well versed in history but are quick to reeling out fairytales due to blind patriotism.

Peddle your falsehood else where; an inferior group to yours. Those who do not have strong foundation and account of history to counter your revisionist agenda, not the intellectually fitted and tactical people like the Yorubas.

Cheers.

Yes you guys are well versed in your revisionist history that you can even argue the history of Lagos monarchy with the Oba of Lagos himself.

You guys can continue arguing with yourselves and massage each others egos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by lx3as(m): 6:49pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

Who is more authentic when it comes to history is not by population or land mass.

Rome is now almost just confined to the Vatican today and that doesn't mean that they didn't civilised Europe.

Rome colonised England for 400 years and we can still see their many footprints all over England and Europe.

Can you compare the size and population of England let alone the rest of Europe they once control with Rome today?

Like I said before, to engage some of you is to belittle one self.

So all the evidence and reference being posted by Omoluabi gbogbo above are not enough?
Many of us grew up with positive thoughts for Bini and her people but your lies and fake revisions have done great damage to that. You should know we're not empty and not tired to busting your lies. Continue!

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 6:57pm On Mar 31, 2020
lx3as:

So all the evidence and reference being posted by Omoluabi gbogbo above are not enough?
Many of us grew up with positive thoughts for Bini and her people but your lies and fake revisions have done great damage to that. You should know we're not empty and not tired to busting your lies. Continue!

Benin know the Omoluabi Yorubas and most don't engage in revisionist history and to that extent, we share cordial relationships with them. It's the fake majority that tries to shout down the voices of these Omoluabis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by lx3as(m): 7:05pm On Mar 31, 2020
samuk:

Benin know the Omoluabi Yorubas and most don't engage in revisionist history and to that extent, we share cordial relationships with them. It's the fake majority that tries to shout down the voices of these Omoluabis

We too don't have problems with average Edo person/people but when you write about your past glory, you don't have to belittle others to make your points, if not you're looking for trouble...

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 7:19pm On Mar 31, 2020
lx3as:

We too don't have problems with average Edo person/people but when you write about your past glory, you don't have to belittle others to make your points, if not you're looking for trouble...

I initially avoided your compatriots massaging each others egos and calling Benin people names until one of them invited me in, otherwise I would have just ignored you guys and allow you to enjoy yourselves because we the Benin are not faced by many of you and what you have to say because like I said before, we know the Omoluabi Yorubas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Opiletool(m): 11:28pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

Thanks for your time bro. Those Binis are mere frustrated noise makers. And we all know the reason for their frustration. It's an open secret. grin

Yeah, I will read on the Kisra episode, I haven't began any serious reading on it yet.

However, there is quite concrete evidence on ground already --- regarding the North-Africa/NorthEast Africa connection --- which establishes fairly definitively that the direction of migration (of the civilization who made those monoliths) was upward, and not downward.

That day I was too tired to pursue the details of the proof and referencing for that point, in that same comment. Moreover, I was only about five words near the word limit for a Nairaland comment. I will definitely return to it in a separate comment.

Regarding the alleged similarity between "old Semitic" languages and Yoruba language:

I once passionately held the view of a similarity of languages which led me to the popular conclusion of direct causation. No, it's a big fallacy with tons of setback.

My fair reading on the subject has shown quite clearly that some words are bound to sound alike (and mean the same thing) in almost every two randomly selected languages.

A proefssor of Yoruba language or Yoruba history (I can't remeber which specifically at the moment) once went to teach in Japan. Guess what! He returned with many Japanese words which not only similar sounds as Yoruba words, but also have same meanings.

Iṣ(é) in Turkish also means work. Have you considered the English word Me and it Yoruba equivalent? Many more examples can be found in virtually all languages.

That the Yoruba people are originally Japanese, Turkish, Anglo-Saxon, and many, many more all at the same time?

Or that this indeed corroborates the glottochonological linguistic view that all modern languages have evolved slowly over milleniums from few fairly mutually intelligible proto-languages?

Or that several of the observed similarities are in fact what linguists term accidental coincidences?

These last two cases obviously seem to be more tenable in contrast to the first which is extremely unlikely if not ridiculous.

So, the observed similarities with ancient "Semitic" (several of which are sheer exaggeration or outright falsehoods) are nothing unique.

In fact, you can make almost any word in a language sound like (and have some quite related meaning to) another word in another language.

It's all a function of your perfect ingenuity, strong imagination, and high intuition.

Very brilliant points you raised. I so much appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 12:29am On Apr 01, 2020
gregyboy:

[s]I had confronted you about the oghene you link to yoruba as wrong, you all have resulted in twisting history to benefits your aims

Nonsense tribe edos are akways hete to debunk your fake lies[/s]

Haha! Boy o' boy! Where have you been hididng?!

"Confronted"?
Lol. As is to be expected, your first comment to me since a long while turns out to be a blatant lie. You never dissapoint!

Anyways, you dared not confront me! In fact, there couldn't have been any reason for you to, as I always provide detailed references.

I sometimes even go beyond the call of duty by helping you search the references grin

However, what you had said the last time regarding Oghene was that you are technologically incompetent and clueless regarding how to verify the academic references by yourself.

And then you begged me for help which I chose to decline.

Having said that consider the following:

Although his account his fraught with amateurish pseudohistory and deliberate spinnings, some truths (such as the use of Oghene for an Ooni) are nevertheless still admitted by Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Erediauwa II in his May 2004 The Benin-Ife Connection.

See: https://www.edo-nation.net/erediauwa1.htm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by macof(m): 1:08am On Apr 01, 2020
TAO11:

A proefssor of Yoruba language or Yoruba history (I can't remeber which specifically at the moment) once went to teach in Japan. Guess what! He returned with many Japanese words which not only sounds similar to Yoruba words, but also have same meanings.

Iṣ(é) in Turkish also means work. Have you considered the English word Me and it Yoruba equivalent? Many more examples can be found in virtually all languages.

Right now on another thread I'm engaging 3 guys who insist Yoruba are semitic
Coming up with ideas like Aramean is Oranmiyan, Deborah is Ebora, Malaki and Ejilu (of the Ẹyọ origin story) are Malachi and Elijah

One thing I've come to realise is that Africans live with so much inferiority complex
You have seen it in the Binis on this forum
But I have seen it in our people too. I see it in African Americans almost daily

Inferiority complex is exposed in two forms
-aggression and resentment for a people who you consider but do not accept are superior to you. A constantly triggered defense mechanism is employed where you try to belittle the person to feel good about yourself
-dismissing your own identity or elements of it that you think make you inherently inferior for that of someone else you think superior

When I see Blacks who are ashamed of African origin but want to be anything else I am disgusted, because I can't even relate and for me I wonder why I would shun common sense and disregard evidence and studies for imaginations

As you've implied, any layman can come up with so called "language connections" all you need is imagination, that's even when you should be suspicious... That it's laymen without skills or particular knowledge that are coming up with such huge but easy "connections"
I mean who can't see how interestingly similar "Ebora" is to "Deborah" but how is this a valid connection?
You wouldn't know better than (historical) linguists, if it were so easy for any random person then these scholars are wasting their time

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 3:01am On Apr 01, 2020
macof:

Right now on another thread I'm engaging 3 guys who insist Yoruba are semitic
Coming up with ideas like Aramean is Oranmiyan, Deborah is Ebora, Malaki and Ejilu (of the Ẹyọ origin story) are Malachi and Elijah

One thing I've come to realise is that Africans live with so much inferiority complex
You have seen it in the Binis on this forum
But I have seen it in our people too. I see it in African Americans almost daily

Inferiority complex is exposed in two forms
-aggression and resentment for a people who you consider but do not accept are superior to you. A constantly triggered defense mechanism is employed where you try to belittle the person to feel good about yourself
-dismissing your own identity or elements of it that you think make you inherently inferior for that of someone else you think superior

When I see Blacks who are ashamed of African origin but want to be anything else I am disgusted, because I can't even relate and for me I wonder why I would shun common sense and disregard evidence and studies for imaginations

As you've implied, any layman can come up with so called "language connections" all you need is imagination, that's even when you should be suspicious... That it's laymen without skills or particular knowledge that are coming up with such huge but easy "connections"
I mean who can't see how interestingly similar "Ebora" is to "Deborah" but how is this a valid connection?
You wouldn't know better than (historical) linguists, if it were so easy for any random person then these scholars are wasting their time

You've made very valid points. I think those Yorubas who hold such views should actually be pitied.

Like you said, it's nothing but inferiority complex in its most raw form. I have seen you engage them on those points before that's why I copied you.

Also, it's a phase. I once trusted in such kindergarten kind of playing with words. I outgrew it as soon as I understood its foolishness.

They probably may outgrow it too before it becomes full-blown self hate.

It's the same kind of inferiority complex and self hate that made Reverend Johnson set out with a hypothesis of foreign roots for Oduduwa even before he considered any account.

He couldn't fathom the thought of how an Oduduwa who almost single-handedly transformed Yoruba civilization so significantly could have been a Yoruba man like him.

But I think you can reach an agreement to engage those guys if they agree to be civil to you. Remember they are Yorubas regardless of how much they unintentionally hate themselves.

I will also consider their points more carefully nowadays, may be I will say one or two things.

Good job. Don't give up on them!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply)

Cute Italian Lady Speaks Pidgin, Taught By Ex Boyfriend (Video) / Naomi Ogunwusi: When I Started Preaching, People Wanted To Bring Me Down / Shahida Sanusi, Abdul Baba Ahmed, Her Husband And Their Daughter (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.