Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,952 members, 7,824,986 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. (1261 Views)

Fuel Subsidy: Our Members Are Marginalised In Palliative Distribution – PWDs Cry / Umahi: Ebonyi People Marginalised By Igbos, Will Never Be Part Of Biafra / Ngige: South East, Not Marginalised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Masterclass32: 8:34pm On Mar 05, 2020
Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, has said the Igbo nation has suffered marginalization from the Nigerian state and called for measures to be adopted to reverse the trend.

He said this in Abuja during a debate for National Unity entitled: “Federal Character, Restructuring and Rotation of Presidential Power in Nigeria”, organized by Igbo Leadership Development Foundation.

The Wartime Head of state said Nigeria was sufficiently large enough to accommodate everyone irrespective of tribal leaning.

He said a constitutional debate on restructuring must look into issues of imbalances that has hunted the nation to correct it and promote equity.

“I believe that a lot of injustice have been done to the Igbo’s and the constitutional debate on restructuring must address all imbalances”

“Nigeria is big enough for all of us and I believe that the Ndigbo, Middle belt and the Yoruba’s are the true Nigerians because if you look round our borders, people came from abroad and are still coming but Ndigbo’s have always been there, middle belt have always been there, even Yoruba’s have always been there”

“People who came in yesterday who have a duty of respect are now the ones talking”

“Going forward we must create a federal democracy that will respond positively to all the aspirations of our people not about East-West but all about working together in equality, bringing in the youths, the women together to build a new Nigeria.”

The former head of state said he believed that without Nigeria remains incomplete with Ndigbo pointing out that if the nation sufficiently harness the intelligence and hard work of the Igbo man Nigeria would have been better.

The former head of state was represented at the event by former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Dr. Obadiah Mailafia.

Gowon said God did not make a mistake by putting Igbo in Nigeria and democracy which the nation practice demands fairness, justice and transperacy in the leadership and governance of the country.

He maintained that while restructuring was critical to national advancement, it must be carried out in an atmosphere of tolerance and love for one other..

He noted: “I am not a friend of hate speech, bitterness but a friend of patrotism because Nigeria is dear to my heart and I believes in bright future of Nigeria and Igbo and that together, we can make our country great.”

Founder of Gregory University, Uturu, Prof. Gregory Ibe, who also addressed participant to the debate said in his keynote address that Nigeria’s unitary system and federal structure, were only in name.

Gregory regretted that the present system was a clear departure from the federal system bequeathed to the country by its founding fathers and Britain.

According to I’ve: “Most of the powers that will engender real growth and development are tied in the exclusive list.

Solid minerials, electricity, railway, ports, security, etc. are all tied to the federal exclusive list to be executed only by the federal government.

He pointed out that Federal government has not been able to live up to the expectations of Nigerians in harnessing her God-given resource both natural and human to make the black race proud.

He maintained that restructuring was all about restoring to the States what the military took away from regions.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/igbos-are-marginalised-%E2%80%95-gowon/
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 05, 2020
Isn't it glaring? Yorubas and hausas have taken over all tangible position in the country.

We are ignored because we didn't vote for pmb in 2015. He termed us 5%

I'm not being tribalistic. I'm just stating the obvious

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Lawgod247: 8:42pm On Mar 05, 2020
Ok
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by kayfra: 8:45pm On Mar 05, 2020
Fake news

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by BlackfireX: 8:47pm On Mar 05, 2020
Gowon , thunder fire you....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Duru1(m): 8:58pm On Mar 05, 2020
Gowon you can go to hell for all I care. The water had already gone under the bridge. As long as Igbo person is concerned in Nigeria, it is disintegration today, disintegration tomorrow and disintegration forever. A revenge factor is not the calling of Igbo person therefore going our separate ways is the best option.

7 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by NgwalandAbia(m): 9:12pm On Mar 05, 2020
this old fool for nothing is talking trash who can marginalised the greatest black race in the history of the world I think the animal should focus on liberating his people been killed by the rampage illegal alien's from fiuuta jalon

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by IDeyNL: 9:22pm On Mar 05, 2020
kayfra:
Fake news

Your brain seem fake.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Azmanaty: 9:30pm On Mar 05, 2020
This man will not die a good death. Foolish akuya!
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Ebenezer2021(m): 9:37pm On Mar 05, 2020
[s]
Duru1:
Gowon you can go to hell for all I care, The water had already gone under the bridge. As long as Igbo person is concerned in Nigeria, It is disintegration today, disintegration tomorrow and disintegration forever. A revenge factor is not the calling of Igbo person therefore going our separate ways is the best option.
[/s] trash
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Ebenezer2021(m): 9:38pm On Mar 05, 2020
Azmanaty:
This man will not die a good death. Foolish akuya!
did your late father live up to Gowon's age?
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Soulsymbol99: 9:39pm On Mar 05, 2020
OGA u no follow cause am ?angry

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Azmanaty: 9:40pm On Mar 05, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
did your late father live up to Gowon's age?

Well above the idiot. I guess urs did not live up to 50. He is a terrible sinner; that's why. Now run along, u ve been noticed.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Racoon(m): 9:43pm On Mar 05, 2020
If Gen.Gowon and Lt.Gen.T.Y Danjuma still get sense, they should joins hands with all the Langtang/Tarok generals to liberate their own people from the atrocities of the fulani terrorists.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Sylraph1: 9:47pm On Mar 05, 2020
Medicine After Death.....

No amount of emotional blackmail Will halt the agitation for the SOVEREIGN STATE OF BIAFRA...

IT IS THE ONLY WAY OUT OF THE ZOO.

BIAFRIA WE STAND...
GOD BLESS MNK.....
GOD BLESS BIAFRA...

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by NaijaRoyalty(m): 9:48pm On Mar 05, 2020
Gowon is a stupid old fool, nobody should take him serious .
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by babyfaceafrica: 9:51pm On Mar 05, 2020
Coming from Gowon.... Lolz.. Why didn't he do anything about it during his time?.. He has a point but if he fails to do anything about it, how can he expect others to do anything.. Events have overtaken each other... Bàbá should enjoy his life
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Duru1(m): 9:53pm On Mar 05, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
trash

I guess it takes one delusional trash talker to recognize a written trash.
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Orubebe01: 10:18pm On Mar 05, 2020
Gowon is a confirm otele
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by ThatFairGuy: 10:21pm On Mar 05, 2020
He needs to write his stories right in Igbo's Mind. This is the New Messiah to our Igbo brother's Now cheesy

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by ThatFairGuy: 10:24pm On Mar 05, 2020
Trash. Were you still interested in ONE NIGERIA? CONFUSED PEOPLE
[s]
OcVoice:
Isn't it glaring? Yorubas and hausas have taken over all tangible position in the country.

We are ignored because we didn't vote for pmb in 2015. He termed us 5%

I'm not being tribalistic. I'm just stating the obvious
[/s]

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Nobody: 10:36pm On Mar 05, 2020
GOWON didn't say so.
Rather, he was represented.
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Bekool(m): 11:04pm On Mar 05, 2020
Masterclass32:
Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, has said the Igbo nation has suffered marginalization from the Nigerian state and called for measures to be adopted to reverse the trend.

He said this in Abuja during a debate for National Unity entitled: “Federal Character, Restructuring and Rotation of Presidential Power in Nigeria”, organized by Igbo Leadership Development Foundation.

The Wartime Head of state said Nigeria was sufficiently large enough to accommodate everyone irrespective of tribal leaning.

He said a constitutional debate on restructuring must look into issues of imbalances that has hunted the nation to correct it and promote equity.

“I believe that a lot of injustice have been done to the Igbo’s and the constitutional debate on restructuring must address all imbalances”

“Nigeria is big enough for all of us and I believe that the Ndigbo, Middle belt and the Yoruba’s are the true Nigerians because if you look round our borders, people came from abroad and are still coming but Ndigbo’s have always been there, middle belt have always been there, even Yoruba’s have always been there”

“People who came in yesterday who have a duty of respect are now the ones talking”

“Going forward we must create a federal democracy that will respond positively to all the aspirations of our people not about East-West but all about working together in equality, bringing in the youths, the women together to build a new Nigeria.”

The former head of state said he believed that without Nigeria remains incomplete with Ndigbo pointing out that if the nation sufficiently harness the intelligence and hard work of the Igbo man Nigeria would have been better.

The former head of state was represented at the event by former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Dr. Obadiah Mailafia.

Gowon said God did not make a mistake by putting Igbo in Nigeria and democracy which the nation practice demands fairness, justice and transperacy in the leadership and governance of the country.

He maintained that while restructuring was critical to national advancement, it must be carried out in an atmosphere of tolerance and love for one other..

He noted: “I am not a friend of hate speech, bitterness but a friend of patrotism because Nigeria is dear to my heart and I believes in bright future of Nigeria and Igbo and that together, we can make our country great.”

Founder of Gregory University, Uturu, Prof. Gregory Ibe, who also addressed participant to the debate said in his keynote address that Nigeria’s unitary system and federal structure, were only in name.

Gregory regretted that the present system was a clear departure from the federal system bequeathed to the country by its founding fathers and Britain.

According to I’ve: “Most of the powers that will engender real growth and development are tied in the exclusive list.

Solid minerials, electricity, railway, ports, security, etc. are all tied to the federal exclusive list to be executed only by the federal government.

He pointed out that Federal government has not been able to live up to the expectations of Nigerians in harnessing her God-given resource both natural and human to make the black race proud.

He maintained that restructuring was all about restoring to the States what the military took away from regions.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/igbos-are-marginalised-%E2%80%95-gowon/

Fulani terrorists have finally reset his brains.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by NDIOGAH(m): 11:05pm On Mar 05, 2020
Gowon The Evil Tyrant,leave Us Alone. Do U Think We Have Forgoten Ur Atrocities And Murder U Commited Against igbo During Civil War Era. Thanks Herdsmen For Paying U Back, so enjoy ur one nigeria
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by gloriaunobi(f): 11:19pm On Mar 05, 2020
See Gowon talking.....you orchestrated the marginalisation by not letting them go
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:22pm On Mar 05, 2020
is this a dream coming from then mouth of Gowon? let me go and check the website it was culled from!

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Afamed: 11:30pm On Mar 05, 2020
How can people who own 95% of Lagos could still be marginalized?

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by eagleu: 11:34pm On Mar 05, 2020
Racoon:
If Gen.Gowon and Lt.Gen.T.Y Danjuma still get sense, they should joins hands with all the Langtang/Tarok generals to liberate their own people from the atrocities of the fulani terrorists.

Unfortunately they can't!
Now, they form potent prayer warriors and modern day rebels.
Too late, just too late!
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by Gallagher01: 11:35pm On Mar 05, 2020
[s]
Afamed:
How can people who own 95% of Lagos could still be marginalized?
[/s]
Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by tamonokare: 12:50am On Mar 06, 2020
Restructuring is the way to go.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Marginalised ― Gowon. by orisa37: 7:39am On Mar 06, 2020
The Igbos are NOT marginalized. The Voting Preferences NIGERIA uses make things seem the way GOWON sees them.

The Igbos are NOT conscientious sufficiently to make things work for them since the end of the Civil war.

Their current Agitation for BIAFRA should have been SUPPORTED by Resolutions of all the SE STATE ASSEMBLIES and ENDORSED by all the SE serving Governors.

Previous Military Governments including GOWON's, have done well for creating the FG and the 36 CONSTITUTIONAL STATE GOVERNMENTS. All that remain now TO CONSOLIDATE MUCH MORE FIRMLY THE UNITY OF NIGERIA THAT WE ALL DESERVE IS FOR US TO BE AWARE THAT NIGERIA IS A DEMOCRACY AND THAT THE 36 CONSTITUTIONAL STATES ARE PATENTLY RIGHT TO ASSUME FULL AUTONOMY OF POLICING RESOURCING AND ELECTIONEERING CONTROL OF THEIR GOVERNMENTS.

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE CONTENT WITH AUTHORITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR

FOREIGN AFFAIRS; MILITARY FOR EXTERNAL DEFENCE AND TREATIES NEGOTIATION, AGREEMENT AND SIGNING.

(1) (Reply)

Weep Not For Abba Kyari And Co.... / Executive Order 7: FG-Dangote-progress Of Work On Apapa-ojota Expressway / It's Victory Of Good Over Evil, Obasanjo Says, Congratulates Biden, Harris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.