Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,402 members, 7,861,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:30 AM

Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy (438 Views)

EndSARS: Buhari, Obasanjo, Jonathan, security chiefs, others in crucial meeting / Abdusalami-Led Peace Committee In Crucial Meeting With Atiku, Obi In Abuja / What Tinubu said about Ambode's impeachment after Crucial Meeting with APC leade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by dipoolowoo: 5:48pm On Mar 09, 2020
By Dipo Olowookere

Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, is holding a crucial meeting with Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr Godwin Emefiele, as well as other stakeholders.

The meeting is taking place in Abuja and the main agenda is to discuss the present state of the economy as well as the declining price of crude oil at the global market.

On Monday morning, the Brent crude, under which the country’s oil is priced, fell to $33 per barrel, about $24 below the $57 benchmark set in the 2020 budget by President Muhammadu Buhari.

This caused panic within the investment community and caused the stock market to crash by 2.41 percent at the close of transactions today.

Worried that things might get worse, especially as Saudi Arabia has started a oil price war after Russia refused an output cap deal last Friday, the fiscal and monetary authorities in Nigeria have deemed it fit to chart a way forward.

Last week, Mrs Ahmed hinted that government may be forced to review the 2020 budget, with the present situation, this move may be fast tracked.

According to what Business Post was reliably informed, government is allegedly pushing the apex bank to work on the benchmark interest rate to douse the tension in the market.

Some days ago, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said inflation in Nigeria rose to 12.13 percent in January 2020 and with interest rates of most investment tools at an average of 4-5 percent and lending rate above 20 percent, it is very difficult to have people invest in the economy.

A source who claimed to be privy with today’s meeting said efforts are being made to make the central bank announce an emergency rate cut to stimulate the economy.

A similar situation happened few days ago in the United States, where rates were marginally lowered as a result of the dreaded coronavirus (COVID-19), which has badly affected the global economy.

https://businesspost.ng/economy/finance-minister-cbn-in-crucial-meeting-over-economy/
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Inkling(f): 5:54pm On Mar 09, 2020
Lol

No oil money again.

Budget was prepared base on $57 per barrel and now is $33 per barrel (courtesy of uncle Corona).

The $22 billion to be borrowed are for caban while Abacha loot is for first family.

So, there must be a concerned. May be they will loan Nigeria out this time around.
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by hero2000: 5:55pm On Mar 09, 2020
The person above, if you know what's going on, then you know it is not a laughing matter.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Citytrend: 5:56pm On Mar 09, 2020
Is it not the crucial meeting they started past 5 years?
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Mokason28: 5:56pm On Mar 09, 2020
Smiling... let me reserve my comment till we get to the promise land
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 09, 2020
I propose 100% wage and allowance cuts for the legislature.

They should invite me for meeting na.
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by APCNig: 5:59pm On Mar 09, 2020
Meeting of two idiots.
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Front0lane: 6:01pm On Mar 09, 2020
Make the finance minister show herself now. As Buhari put learner for the ministry make she show herself say she go school abroad. I wish her all the best, this is the time to know if she's worthy of that position.
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by APCNig: 6:06pm On Mar 09, 2020
Front0lane:
Make the finance minister show herself now. As Buhari put learner for the ministry make she show herself say she go school abroad. I wish her all the best, this is the time to know if she's worthy of that position.

Your teacher and Prof. of Stupid Economics Ngozi Okonjo-Iweeall ran the Economy deep into Recession before the Polytechnic Graduate Kemi Adeosun pulled out out of Recession and Depression.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Ehiscotch(m): 6:09pm On Mar 09, 2020
Funny thing is, Nigerians don't even have proper understanding of how the economy works — heck! many people still think money is printed in Central Bank and shared around.

So when many hear "high oil prices, low oil prices, GDP, budget, balance of trade, mono economy, recession, inflation, etc" they just can't comprehend, then they pick one silly conspiracy theory and run away with it.

I just pity people in governance really. You first have to educate the populace gaan to make them grasp policies and political realities before you even properly implement them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Ehiscotch(m): 6:12pm On Mar 09, 2020
Front0lane:

Bro, just stop embarrassing yourself with this nonsense you just posted. C'mon, is her education going to miraculously spring up oil prices and generate revenue for an oil dependent mono economy like Nigeria?
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Front0lane: 6:30pm On Mar 09, 2020
I do not care. Under Obasanjo there was similar oil glut n Nigeria didn't feel a pinch, countries like Spain Greece saw their economy collapsed n we were flying high cos we saved enough.

If Nigeria should feel a pinch that expose how hopeless a minister the girl. It proves she as nothing upset. Though, I doubt if Buhari will sack her but nonetheless it will be glaring she's a colossal failure. We no go because we want chop meat call cow uncle so swerve.

As for embrassing myself leave me to it, when Nigeria economy grew ahead of SA we all celebrated her achievement if it falters now which we don't pray then she should take the blame with Buhari n the CBN governor.

Ehiscotch:

Bro, just stop embarrassing yourself with this nonsense you just posted. C'mon, is her education going to miraculously spring up oil prices and generate revenue for an oil dependent mono economy like Nigeria?
Re: Finance Minister, CBN In Crucial Meeting Over Economy by Front0lane: 6:33pm On Mar 09, 2020
Not her fan of the trio though.
I rather we have a man capable in that position or a woman who can rise up to the occasion n that is what am encouraging her to do.

APCNig:

Your teacher and Prof. of Stupid Economics Ngozi Okonjo-Iweeall ran the Economy deep into Recession before the Polytechnic Graduate Kemi Adeosun pulled out out of Recession and Depression.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Four New Coronavirus Cases Confirmed In Lagos / This Teenage Girl Sell Medicine That Cure Corona Virus Please Hear Her / COVID-19: Samwo-olu, Make Haste. Act Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.