Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Yorubas Age Consciousness - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas Age Consciousness (1447 Views)

Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / Ancient Knowledge: Consciousness, Sacred Geometry, Cymatics,illusion Of Reality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas Age Consciousness by fekuti: 4:49am On Jun 04, 2007
One can almost get shot for calling elders by name.
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by omogenaija(f): 1:58am On Jun 05, 2007
LOL !! thats true angry
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by cashoggy(f): 5:37pm On Oct 02, 2007
@Fekuti & Omogenaija, so what do u expect? Don't u realize age cannot be bought with money? Its a rich culture that demands tht u respect ur elders as in add 'broda' or 'anti/sister' to the person's name.It's a not good culture tht makes u address your elders as if u're mates. Leave western culture alone, everyone has his own norms, this is Yoruba's own and we must uphold it. It's another thing if the person liberally encourages u to be at par but it's rude if you know the person old pass u yet u dey hammer name for im head. You need to repent, children of nowadays. grin grin grin

Now to be serious, there's a lady in my office and the age difference btw us is 20 (of course if I had a daugher 20yrs ago they wd be agemates.Because the system operates on first name basis this girl will open her big mouth and call my name without batting her eyelid. Now imagine how my imaginary daughter who's agemates with this sisi will feel if she walks in and see how her mum is addressed? Have a good day.
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by omogenaija(f): 1:37am On Oct 03, 2007
cashoggy:

@Fekuti & Omogenaija, so what do u expect? Don't u realize age cannot be bought with money? Its a rich culture that demands that u respect your elders as in add 'brother' or 'anti/sister' to the person's name.It's a not good culture that makes u address your elders as if u're mates. Leave western culture alone, everyone has his own norms, this is Yoruba's own and we must uphold it. It's another thing if the person liberally encourages u to be at par but it's rude if you know the person old pass u yet u dey hammer name for im head. You need to repent, children of nowadays. grin grin grin

Now to be serious, there's a lady in my office and the age difference between us is 20 (of course if I had a daugher 20yrs ago they wd be agemates.Because the system operates on first name basis this girl will open her big mouth and call my name without batting her eyelid. Now imagine how my imaginary daughter who's agemates with this sisi will feel if she walks in and see how her mum is addressed? Have a good day.

@ cashoogy i mean aunty or mummy cashoggy
ur OLD SCHOOL !!! AYE TI YI
wink please dont beat me for that comment
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by bolorunfem(f): 9:20am On Oct 03, 2007
omogenaija, good u know u deserve to be spanked. Wish I could lay my hands on those round butt of yours angry. Wait till you get there,then ul know how it feels. 'e ma ba ile aye yi je faa' shocked
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 03, 2007
bolorunfem:

omogenaija, good u know u deserve to be spanked. Wish I could lay my hands on those round butt of yours angry. Wait till you get there,then ul know how it feels. 'e ma ba ile aye yi je faa' shocked

You want to get you feminine hands on Omogenaija's equally feminine butt cheeks??

What's going on here?? undecided
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by bolorunfem(f): 4:36pm On Oct 03, 2007
@ Sienna, repent and be saved. U really need to purge ur mind of such thots. I meant and still mean I want to SPANK omoge for insurbodination until she cry cry cry
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by cashoggy(f): 5:38pm On Oct 03, 2007
Don't spank her. It's a free world, but what goes around comes around lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by omogenaija(f): 8:30pm On Oct 03, 2007
Siena:

You want to get you feminine hands on Omogenaija's equally feminine butt cheeks??

What's going on here?? undecided

nothing is going on i hope she didnt mean it that way

cashoggy:

Don't spank her. It's a free world, but what goes around comes around lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

e ba mi be won o , omode lo se mi
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by cashoggy(f): 8:41am On Oct 04, 2007
grin grin

na your papa buy am ? LMAO (buy wetin?) Can u explain?

And what does LMAO stand for?
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by English1(f): 10:46am On Oct 04, 2007
I get intrigued by this Yoruba attitude towards older people, and what would happen in some situations,

(I'm not criticising the Yoruba custom at all, wouldn't the world be boring if we all did things in the same way).

What would happen if,

You get a young boss and an older employee, how do they work out who gets treated with the most 'respect'. Would the boss still call the employee aunty or uncle, or not, as the boss is in a superior position to the older person?

What do you do if the older person doesn't really deserve any respect. Let's face it, not everyone improves with age. Supposing they were lazy, stupid, and involved in criminal activities. Do you still have to show 'respect' to them if you are younger? How do you feel about having to do that? Don't you find it hypocritical to demonstrate 'respect' to someone you don't respect?

I might find out the answer to my first question grin - I've just taken on an older Yoruba man to be my assistant at work. He starts in a few weeks time but we are a first-name company, even to the owner of the company (who is also Yoruba).
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by laudate: 1:05pm On Oct 04, 2007
English1:

I get intrigued by this Yoruba attitude towards older people, and what would happen in some situations,

(I'm not criticising the Yoruba custom at all, wouldn't the world be boring if we all did things in the same way).

What would happen if,

You get a young boss and an older employee, how do they work out who gets treated with the most 'respect'. Would the boss still call the employee aunty or uncle, or not, as the boss is in a superior position to the older person?

I hope the Yoruba folks would show up and give you more answers, but from the little I have seen in the Nigerian workplace, it usually depends on the person involved. Where there is a young boss and an older employee, you could adress him by his or her full names i.e. Mr. ABC or Mrs. XYZ. Or if it is an informal Nigerian office, where cultural norms are strong, you could address such a person by their first child's name i.e. Baba David or Mama Margaret. Not aunty or uncle. That is so tacky. wink

English1:
What do you do if the older person doesn't really deserve any respect. Let's face it, not everyone improves with age. Supposing they were lazy, stupid, and involved in criminal activities. Do you still have to show 'respect' to them if you are younger? How do you feel about having to do that? Don't you find it hypocritical to demonstrate 'respect' to someone you don't respect?

Well, maybe the Yoruba folks could answer this one better. . . .but what I have seen them do, is that they still refer to the person by his title, or full name, or the Baba David style kind-of-address. But then, they make their displeasure known in a clear manner, without mincing words.

If the person refuses to change, he is either ostracised or they keep him at arms length or act aloof, when they are with him. For most people within that culture, they feel respect must also be earned, for you to be able to keep it. I think due to their culture, respect is first given. But then the recipient of such respect also has to work, to keep that respect. Where he shows himself unworthy of such respect, then. . . .through their actions, they make it clear that they will not kow-tow to him, or they will disregard his opinions or wishes whenever they can.

English1:

I might find out the answer to my first question grin - I've just taken on an older Yoruba man to be my assistant at work. He starts in a few weeks time but we are a first-name company, even to the owner of the company (who is also Yoruba).

erm. . . .why not just ask the man, how he would like to be addressed?
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by londoner: 1:18pm On Oct 04, 2007
I think Nigerians in general are quite age conscious, its a good thing, but then in some situations its quite unhealthy. I've seen grown men unable to excercise themselves as grown men and adults in their own homes, simply because of their order of birth/age. Much unhealthy input is tolerated by married couple,s just because the person is an older sister or Aunty or even a mother. I find that Nigerians find it difficult to recognise when a child they once knew, has become a grown woman/man and tend to expect them to regress in their presence, even when it stunts their development and is counter productive to them as an individual.

I have to be honest, many older people tend to love being revered, but are less enthusiastic about the responsibility which accompanies seniority.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by omogenaija(f): 1:24am On Oct 05, 2007
@ english1 na so we dey talk , i ask the same questions and all hear is american children r bad and other blabla

cashoggy:

grin grin

na your papa buy am ? LMAO (buy wetin?) Can u explain?

And what does LMAO stand for?

na ur papa buy am is this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-79846.0.html

and LMAO means laughing my ass off
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by English1(f): 8:48am On Oct 05, 2007
Thanks Laudate, that all made a lot of sense cheesy
Re: Yorubas Age Consciousness by iyaaje(m): 6:47pm On Oct 05, 2007
abeg make una leave our fine yoruba kolso alone o,make una no spoil am for us biko.

(1) (Reply)

Photos From 2015 Ojude Oba Festival / Tweetfight: #kenyansVsNigerians Now Trending On Twitter / Queen Mother Pendant Mask: Iyoba + Slideshow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.