Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,983 members, 7,835,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad (7027 Views)

Help!!! Wife Refuses to buy drug for sick Husband / Trouble As Wife Refuses To Sleep With Her Husband Because She’s Pregnant For The / Woman's Wedding Ring Refuses To Be Removed, Finger Set To Be Cut - Facebook User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Kuns84(m): 2:08pm On Mar 10, 2020
I'm a medical doctor by profession and completed my residency over a year ago. However, I'm currently frustrated with the state of things in this country. I work endlessly, shuffling between a public hospital here in Lagos as well as also doing some consulting on the side in a private hospital – all to make ends meet.

Many of my fellow medical practitioners have relocated abroad and are all doing tremendously well for themselves earning fat salaries. My friends have tirelessly encouraged me to also make that move but for the past 3 years now, I’ve be peddling a lie that I’m 'comfortable' here in Nigeria. What many don’t know is that MY WIFE is the main reason why I’ve not been able to even attempt the exams not to talk of passing and eventually relocating.

Her reasons?

I have an elder brother who currently lives in the UK – he’s an engineer doing incredibly well for himself. He is married to a fellow Nigerian who is a naturalised citizen abroad but here’s the problem, my wife cannot stand the thought of moving to the UK because of an ongoing issue with my brother’s wife. I can’t go into much detail lest I digress, but my wife has always had this inferiority complex that my sister in-law will look down on her because she was raised abroad and comes from a wealthy home. These two have never gotten along from the very beginning and things have deteriorated to the point that this has affected my relationship with my bro. I personally like my brother’s wife, she’s an intelligent and down to earth lady and we got along so well until I met and married my wife. My brother and I have both tried to get our wives to reconcile but to no avail and now that I could potentially move abroad, this matter has been a major stumbling block affecting my ability to forge ahead in life.

Every time I try to talk sense into my wife, she flares up and refuses to admit the truth, rather she’d claim that her reasons for not wanting to move abroad is because “the grass isn’t greener on the other side”, “people are suffering abroad”, “she’s comfortable with her job here in Nigeria” etc.. but deep down we both know that she doesn’t want to give my sister-in law the satisfaction of seeing us move to the UK for a better life – coupled with the fact that we might have to squat with them for a while before finding my feet.

I am depressed but do a fantastic job at hiding it but the truth is, It breaks my heart every time yet another colleague of mine relocates abroad with his family and then tells me of how conformable life is over there and how much doctors are being paid – it’s not that I’m jealous, I genuinely feel happy for my guys, but just can’t help but feel stuck and unfulfilled with how things are going in my career and personal life.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Shellsploit: 2:12pm On Mar 10, 2020
Lalasticlala sef shocked

Let's wait to hear from the elder's smiley

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by madridguy(m): 2:23pm On Mar 10, 2020
Go USA or Canada then.

7 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by tenmariner: 2:26pm On Mar 10, 2020
Things deh happen sha
Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Kampack: 2:27pm On Mar 10, 2020
Stop passing the buck.
Man up and take responsibilities. Do you also have sister-in-laws having irreconcilable differences with your wife in Canada, Australia, US and other parts of the world where doctors are well remunerated? Abeg shift!

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Galaxydon1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 10, 2020
Woman wrapper. You wife controls you.

17 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by LegendaryLover(m): 2:28pm On Mar 10, 2020
leave her in nigeria. Travel abroad. Work 3 times harder. Make chedders. Get a good place. "no struggling for her, no living at bro's place or wife for her". So send for her. Problem solved?

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by LilMissFavvy(f): 2:32pm On Mar 10, 2020
There are people who are naturally not fascinated about living abroad, they love their Homeland, they are contented, especially if things are working for them. Your wife is gainfully employed, just like you, she lives independently, yet you think it will be easy for her to accept to travel abroad and go and squat in your elder brothers house. Oga, make money, enough money then convince your wife that when you travel abroad she will not be a squatter in someone's house.

Whatever views you have concerning your elder brothers wife does not matter, what matters here is that your wife and your brothers wife do not get along well, atimes some relatives cannot just ''gell'' together, you cannot force it. Personally, I don't know if I would be happy to leave my home to travel abroad to squat in a relatives house, you may say the squatting will be temporary, but you can't be so sure. Your wife does not want to be part of such drama. So make more money, assure her you will rent a home over there and see her reaction.
Kuns84:
These two have never gotten along from the very beginning and things have deteriorated to the point that this has affected my relationship with my bro.

[/b]Coupled with the fact that we might have to squat with them for a while before finding my feet.[b]

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Kuns84(m): 2:45pm On Mar 10, 2020
LilMissFavvy:
There are people who are naturally not fascinated about living abroad, they love their Homeland, they are contented, especially if things are working for them. Your wife is gainfully employed, just like you, she lives independently, yet you think it will be easy for her to accept to travel abroad and go and squat in your elder brothers house. Oga, make money, enough money then convince your wife that when you travel abroad she will not be a squatter in someone's house.

Whatever views you have concerning your elder brothers wife does not matter, what matters here is that your wife and your brothers wife do not get along well, atimes some relatives cannot just ''gell'' together, you cannot force it. Personally, I don't know if I would be happy to leave my home to travel abroad to squat in a relatives house, you may say the squatting will be temporary, but you can't be so sure. Your wife does not want to be part of such drama. So make more money, assure her you will rent a home over there and see her reaction.

Notice I said MIGHT.. with a doctors salary I can obviously afford to get a place of my own but it's my preference to stay with bro for a while as we settle into a new environ.

13 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by LilMissFavvy(f): 2:46pm On Mar 10, 2020
That's why I said make money, enough money, tell her you will be able to afford a home, then see her reaction.
Kuns84:

Notice I said MIGHT.. with a doctors salary I can obviously afford to get a place of my own but it's my preference to stay with bro for a while as we settle into a new environ.
Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Tripitaka: 3:00pm On Mar 10, 2020
LilMissFavvy:
That's why I said make money, enough money, tell her you will be able to afford a home, then see her reaction.

I would never understand why women on here make this statement repeatedly. It's quite nauseating.

Pray tell, what exactly does "make enough money" mean to you? What are the practical steps of making "enough money"? Perhaps you don't know how difficult it is settling into a new country, culture, economy, surroundings. It's one hell of a daunting experience.

Somehow, it's the man's fault that the wife doesn't get along with her sister-in-law or doesn't want to "start somewhere".

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 10, 2020
Shellsploit:
Lalasticlala sef shocked

Let's wait to hear from the elder's smiley
this life is a mystery, person wey get head no get cap, person wey get cap no get head.
(Eni ni ori o NI Fila)
Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by ezugegere(m): 3:13pm On Mar 10, 2020
Must it be UK? Why can't you think of another country except UK?

4 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by biobash(m): 3:16pm On Mar 10, 2020
Kuns84:
I'm a medical doctor by profession and completed my residency over a year ago. However, I'm currently frustrated with the state of things in this country. I work endlessly, shuffling between a public hospital here in Lagos as well as also doing some consulting on the side in a private hospital – all to make ends meet.

Many of my fellow medical practitioners have relocated abroad and are all doing tremendously well for themselves earning fat salaries. My friends have tirelessly encouraged me to also make that move but for the past 3 years now, I’ve be peddling a lie that I’m 'comfortable' here in Nigeria. What many don’t know is that MY WIFE is the main reason why I’ve not been able to even attempt the exams not to talk of passing and eventually relocating.

Her reasons?

I have an elder brother who currently lives in the UK – he’s an engineer doing incredibly well for himself. He is married to a fellow Nigerian who is a naturalised citizen abroad but here’s the problem, my wife cannot stand the thought of moving to the UK because of an ongoing issue with my brother’s wife. I can’t go into much detail lest I digress, but my wife has always had this inferiority complex that my sister in-law will look down on her because she was raised abroad and comes from a wealthy home. These two have never gotten along from the very beginning and things have deteriorated to the point that this has affected my relationship with my bro. I personally like my brother’s wife, she’s an intelligent and down to earth lady and we got along so well until I met and married my wife. My brother and I have both tried to get our wives to reconcile but to no avail and now that I could potentially move abroad, this matter has been a major stumbling block affecting my ability to forge ahead in life.

Every time I try to talk sense into my wife, she flares up and refuses to admit the truth, rather she’d claim that her reasons for not wanting to move abroad is because “the grass isn’t greener on the other side”, “people are suffering abroad”, “she’s comfortable with her job here in Nigeria” etc.. but deep down we both know that she doesn’t want to give my sister-in law the satisfaction of seeing us move to the UK for a better life – coupled with the fact that we might have to squat with them for a while before finding my feet.

I am depressed but do a fantastic job at hiding it but the truth is, It breaks my heart every time yet another colleague of mine relocates abroad with his family and then tells me of how conformable life is over there and how much doctors are being paid – it’s not that I’m jealous, I genuinely feel happy for my guys, but just can’t help but feel stuck and unfulfilled with how things are going in my career and personal life.

OP, if she doesn't want to squat, then you alone can go and she can join you later, and if you feel it is important she go with you, then you can consider other countries like Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

3 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by LilMissFavvy(f): 3:21pm On Mar 10, 2020
The wife is okay in Nigeria, he is the one who wishes to relocate, so he should be ready to shoulder the financial costs, if she assists him, fine. I do not understand your last paragraph, I don't know what you mean by ''it's the man's fault that the two women do not get along'', I never wrote that, so I don't know what you mean. Like I said earlier, you cannot force people to get along with others. If he has tried enough like he mentioned to make both women to settle their differences without success, isn't it time he let's his wife be?
Tripitaka:

I would never understand why women on here make this statement repeatedly. It's quite nauseating.

Pray tell, what exactly does "make enough money" mean to you? What are the practical steps of making "enough money"? Perhaps you don't know how difficult it is settling into a new country, culture, economy, surroundings. It's one hell of a daunting experience.

Somehow, it's the man's fault that the wife doesn't get along with her sister-in-law or doesn't want to "start somewhere".

8 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Kuns84(m): 3:37pm On Mar 10, 2020
ezugegere:

UK is my choice.
- More opportunities, the pay is superb..
- Got friends and few family members there (so I won't face loneliness)
- I like the UK way of life.

14 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by piroux(f): 3:40pm On Mar 10, 2020
Kuns84:

Honestly, i wish you'd take more responsibility for your self and your life. Naturally, your wife isn't willing to be a guest at the home of a woman who she doesn't get along with. That's completely natural. Women have the most difficult relationships anyway. Why not go alone, stay with your brother, find your feet and then move your family? Why must they make the transition when things are still difficult? Don't you feel it would make your life more uncomfortable to live with 2 women who don't get along? And then completely ruin whatever peace or growth they could both achieve later? Please be guided.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Tripitaka: 3:40pm On Mar 10, 2020
LilMissFavvy:
The wife is okay in Nigeria, he is the one who wishes to relocate, so he should be ready to shoulder the financial costs, if she assists him, fine. I do not understand your last paragraph, I don't know what you mean by ''it's the man's fault that the two women do not get along'', I never wrote that, so I don't know what you mean. Like I said earlier, you cannot force people to get along with others. If he has tried enough like he mentioned to make both women to settle their differences without success, isn't it time he let's his wife be?

OP made it clear that his wife's reluctance is because she feels inferior to her co-wife given the co-wifes parentage and background. It isn't a case of her being "comfortable" in Nigeria. Heck, she would pack her bags in a jiffy if the husband proposed another country or if they were to put up at another relative's in the UK.

Again, he didn't say they're living a good life. In fact he said he is frustrated and believes that his family will have a better life in the UK.

You kept on happing on him "making enough money" when he already made it clear that he is already working multiple jobs, yet there isn't a lot to show for it.

My advice would be for the OP to go alone and stay formats long as it requires him to "make enough money", then he can come get his wife.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by LilMissFavvy(f): 4:01pm On Mar 10, 2020
The OP said he does not want to give full details of the issues between his wife and sister in law, you can read again, feeling inferior is part of the issue, not the main reason. I believe he has seen your own input as well.
Tripitaka:

OP made it clear that his wife's reluctance is because she feels inferior to her co-wife given the co-wifes parentage and background. It isn't a case of her being "comfortable" in Nigeria. Heck, she would pack her bags in a jiffy if the husband proposed another country or if they were to put up at another relative's in the UK.

Again, he didn't say they're living a good life. In fact he said he is frustrated and believes that his family will have a better life in the UK.

You kept on happing on him "making enough money" when he already made it clear that he is already working multiple jobs, yet there isn't a lot to show for it.

My advice would be for the OP to go alone and stay formats long as it requires him to "make enough money", then he can come get his wife.

5 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by chidekings(m): 5:01pm On Mar 10, 2020
Some people like managing themself no matter how small to avoid see finish.

7 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by rain21(f): 5:06pm On Mar 10, 2020
she's intelligent, she's down to earth, she's blabla bla.., meaning you are already taking sides with your brother's wife and your wife is the now the one with inferiority complex.

that could even be the reason why she doesn't want to move___you are comparing the two women and probably flow well with your brother's wife more than with your own wife.your wife has seen the signs already and will rather prefer she stays home since she has a very good paying job here.

relocate, get a good job and then come for your family.consider living in a separate town far from your brother's to avoid frequent clash from the women. the two will still settle laslas

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Kuns84(m): 5:12pm On Mar 10, 2020
rain21:
she's intelligent, she's down to earth, she's blabla bla.., meaning you are already taking sides with your brother's wife and your wife is the now the one with inferiority complex.

that could even be the reason why she doesn't want to move___you are comparing the two women and probably flow well with your brother's wife more than with your own wife.your wife has seen the signs already and will rather prefer she stays home since she has a very good paying job here.

relocate, get a good job and then come for your family.consider living in a separate town far from your brother's to avoid frequent clash from the women. the two will still settle laslas

Its shocking that you would interpret my words this way. Is it a crime to compliment my brothers wife?

Truth is she's truly a lovely woman and if I'm to be fair, my wife was the one who started this whole beef with her attitude.

Of course I stuck by my wife throughout the whole ordeal but this is an anonymous forum where I can admit the truth.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by rain21(f): 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2020
Kuns84:

Its shocking that you would interpret my words this way. Is it a crime to compliment my brothers wife? Truth is she's truly a lovely woman and if I'm to be fair, my wife was the one who started this whole beef with her attitude.

Of course I stuck by my wife throughout the whole ordeal but this is an anonymous forum where I can admit the truth.

I didn't interpret anything,it was exactly what you wrote that I read.you compliment your brother's wife,do you also compliment your own wife? Your wife has insecurities and you are making matters worse for her by trying to make her squat in her rival's home when she's comfortable here. If you were to be in her shoes, how would you feel?
Relocate, get a job and send for her later.it's simple

18 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by thorpido(m): 5:28pm On Mar 10, 2020
Op,with the way things are,your BEST choice in my opinion would be for you to make your move alone,go there and settle and when you are comfortable,bring your family there.
Your wife can do without being always with your in-laws then.

I would have said move to another country but you want the UK(your reasons are genuine though).

9 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by nlPoster: 5:31pm On Mar 10, 2020
ezugegere:

It seems Nigerians have not gotten the memo yet, emigration is not encouraged right now.

Stop considering it your right to move to other peoples' countries especially at this time.

Are you folks not following the news? Why place more stress on countries who are trying to cope with what's going on?

Every day, I'm moving here I'm moving there, like you own everywhere in addition to Nigeria?

What does it take to get things to sink in?

Quit these stupid threads which are mostly fake anyway. Joblessness. undecided

Op is even claiming "as a doctor I can get my own place but I dont have to". So they welcome you with your professional job as soon as you land right?

Another annoying thing, this person claims he is working yet still complaining my wife is against my progress blah blah, so people without jobs or prospects what are they supposed to do?

4 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 10, 2020
Kuns84:

Her reasons?

I don't see any issue here.
Divorce her and move to your dream country.
There are millions of women out there just like your wife.
You can always get another spouse.

5 Likes

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by nlPoster: 5:34pm On Mar 10, 2020
Squillaci:

I don't see any issue here.
Divorce her and move to your dream country.
There are millions of women out there just like your wife.
You can always get another spouse.

Anything new about what you're typing as a nairalander?

Depraved people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Nickshrapnel: 6:08pm On Mar 10, 2020
shocked
Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by Nickshrapnel: 6:10pm On Mar 10, 2020
Start the application, when the time to leave comes, she can decide to stay behind
Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by freecocoahubby(m): 6:17pm On Mar 10, 2020
rain21:

[s]I didn't interpret anything,it was exactly what you wrote that I read.you compliment your brother's wife,do you also compliment your own wife? Your wife has insecurities and you are making matters worse for her by trying to make her squat in her rival's home when she's comfortable here. If you were to be in her shoes, how would you feel?
Relocate, get a job and send for her later.it's simple[/s]

Absolute bullshiit!

So in the midst of an important issue here it's his wife's childish sentiments that should take precedence? What useless rivalry is she doing with someone who doesn't send her? Someone who she just developed some silly inferiority complex towards because the lady is abroad or something.. Or are we not reading the same thread?

This is why important decisions should never be left to women, they ruin promising lives with their unstable emotions. Smh.

As for you nlPoster, you are simply dumb! Please dont ruin this lovely thread with your senseless-ness grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Refuses To Move Abroad by rain21(f): 6:26pm On Mar 10, 2020
freecocoahubby:

Absolute bullshiit!

So in the midst of an important issue here it's his wife's childish sentiments that should take precedence? What useless rivalry is she doing with someone who doesn't send her? Someone who she just developed some silly inferiority complex towards because the lady is abroad or something.. Or are we not reading the same thread?

This is why important decisions should never be left to women, they ruin promising lives with their unstable emotions. Smh.

As for you nlPoster, you are simply dumb! Please dont ruin this lovely thread with your senseless-ness grin

Lol...mine is bullshit,nlposter's own is dumb while yours is what??

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Am Giving Away 50k To 5 Women / Pregnant And Mothers Only / Contraceptive Method / Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.