Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works (4637 Views)

I Helped Him Prepare For Traditional Wedding – Peter Obi On Herbert Wigwe / Bayelsa Youths Send 28 Elders, Chiefs Into Exile For Attending Sylva's Birthday / Soludo: My Family Went Into exile For Bank Consolidation To Be Achieved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by MetaPhysical: 6:00pm On Mar 10, 2020
A head that has worn the crown of kingship remains a crown head forever. A crown head does not lose status, in life or in death.

So when a king abdicates, which is voluntary....or is dethroned, which is involuntary, what happens to him afterward?

The first thing is the thought of replacement. There are always eligible candidates to take over kingship. Beyond that, there is dilemma of having two living crown heads reside in the same domain. No matter the goodwill between them there will be clash of interests amongst loyalists.

To forestall issues and attendant disorders, abdicated and deposed crown heads are viewed as natural rivals to the sitting Monarch and kept separate and away in exile.

A deposed crown head can no longer act or see himself in the role of ordinary citizen. This is forbidden. He retains privilege of a crownhead and subsidized by the government. He cannot look for job but he can chair public and private institutions for compensation and can lobby.

In history, and typically, deposed kings have been in advanced age. They are past productive age and remain exile and in retirement feeding fat on government purse till they die.

In the case of Sanusi, he is still young, productive and cerebral. Could he go into academic field and teach University, or join a policy think tank, chair some corporate boards?

His banishment to Nassarawa and the costs of living in Nassarawa will be on Kano Govt. The arrangement will continue till death with privileges of crown head intact....unless if he chooses to pursue his own interests and earn money privately....at which point he could go anywhere that pleases him but all his privileges will be stripped in that case.

He can never enter Kano again, unless first pardoned. If he does he could be arrested. He will only go to Kano on two occassions, honoring an invite by the Kano Govt or an invite from Kano Emir and the Emirate Council.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Bilabong(m): 6:02pm On Mar 10, 2020
FU**CK KANO...

HE CAN GO HEAD WORLD BANK.

5 Likes

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 10, 2020
Bilabong:
FU**CK KANO...

1 Like

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by MetaPhysical: 6:10pm On Mar 10, 2020
Bilabong:
FU**CK KANO...

He cannot apply. He is no longer an ordinary citizen. World Bank must seek him, which is highly unlikely.

5 Likes

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by APCHaram: 6:16pm On Mar 10, 2020
[s]
MetaPhysical:
A head that has worn the crown of kingship remains a crown head forever. A crown head does not lose status, in life or in death.

So when a king abdicates, which is voluntary....or is dethroned, which is involuntary, what happens to him afterward?

The first thing is the thought of replacement. There are always eligible candidates to take over kingship. Beyond that, there is dilemma of having two living crown heads reside in the same domain. No matter the goodwill between them there will be clash of interests amongst loyalists.

To forestall issues and attendant disorders, abdicated and deposed crown heads are viewed as natural rivals to the sitting Monarch and kept separate and away in exile.

A deposed crown head can no longer act or see himself in the role of ordinary citizen. This is forbidden. He retains privilege of a crownhead and subsidized by the government. He cannot look for job but he can chair public and private institutions for compensation and can lobby.

In history, and typically, deposed kings have been in advanced age. They are past productive age and remain exile and in retirement feeding fat on government purse till they die.

In the case of Sanusi, he is still young, productive and cerebral. Could he go into academic field and teach University, or join a policy think tank, chair some corporate boards?

His banishment to Nassarawa and the costs of living in Nassarawa will be on Kano Govt. The arrangement will continue till death with privileges of crown head intact....unless if he chooses to pursue his own interests and earn money privately....at which point he could go anywhere that pleases him but all his privileges will be stripped in that case.

He can never enter Kano again, unless first pardoned. If he does he could be arrested. He will only go to Kano on two occassions, honoring an invite by the Kano Govt or an invite from Kano Emir and the Emirate Council.

[/s]

Ganduje has shown that the Emir is a political appointment.

A monarch that is answerable to a tenured elected politician is no monarch abeg.

The case of abdication and dethronement only applies for real sovereign heads with real powers that constitute a threat to their successor.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by MrBachelor: 8:23pm On Mar 10, 2020
MetaPhysical:

He cannot apply. He is no longer an ordinary citizen. World Bank must seek him, which is highly unlikely.

Why is it highly unlikely?
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Charmingrascal(m): 9:29pm On Mar 10, 2020
Bilabong:
FU**CK KANO...

Hmm oshey World Bank Director.

1 Like

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by wallex1983(m): 9:35pm On Mar 10, 2020
B
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by 0m0nnakoda: 12:28am On Mar 11, 2020
MetaPhysical:

You just wake up one day ,overdose yourself on fufu grin and start writing rubbish.

From around the world and in Nigeria, there are NUMEROUS instances when kings have left their positions and become ordinary people

Who FORBADE that? As you claim?
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Mightymanna(m): 1:00am On Mar 11, 2020
This is unacceptable
What sort of rubbish is this?
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by princemillla(m): 1:37am On Mar 11, 2020
I feel for sanusi but he should forget about all this king this king that. That guy is productive. I blamed him for accepting the post of emir in the first place. Use and dump.

He should pursue whatever post he wishes and get out of that 2 bedroom bungalow. What Nonsense

A former CBN governor living in 2 bedroom bungalow

2 Likes

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by ursullalinda(f): 1:45am On Mar 11, 2020
Well....it's Sanusi's choice....what was a young chap like him looking for as the Emir.....now that God for nothing dollar thief has reduced him to two bedroom apartment.....sad I must say.
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by redsun(m): 1:47am On Mar 11, 2020
That is colonial white supremacists tactics used to desecrate Africans evolutionary hub and civilization. It needs reviewing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by MetaPhysical: 2:04am On Mar 11, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You just wake up one day ,overdose yourself on fufu grin and start writing rubbish.

From around the world and in Nigeria, there are NUMEROUS instances when kings have left their positions and become ordinary people

Who FORBADE that? As you claim?

Chei!

You will be banished to Arochuckwu for this post.

Name one king in Nigeria that was deposed, exiled and returned to ordinary citizenship. grin

4 Likes

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Susu888(m): 2:09am On Mar 11, 2020
You don't know what your saying.... undecided

Go and read about hausa fulani emirates , histories of the Emirs that existed since the time of danfodio and stop typing made up rubbish.
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by MetaPhysical: 2:12am On Mar 11, 2020
MrBachelor:

Why is it highly unlikely?

In North, Sanusi is a superbly educated and foremost scholar.

In South, he is a nobody academically or professionally.

He got the First Bank job and subsequently CBN by his bloodline, not because he is an intellectual.

He is not qualified to lead a bank Nigeria....much more a world bank. What are you guys smoking?

Unlike the typical Northerner Sanusi's spoken English is polished, beside that what else does he have to put him in world bank?

2 Likes

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Nobody: 2:13am On Mar 11, 2020
redsun:
That is colonial white supremacists tactics used to desecrate Africans evolutionary hub and civilization. It needs reviewing.
U have said it All.
They completely messed up the TRADITIONAL INSTITUTIONS.

By now GANDUJE would have gotten AMADIOHA or SANGO treatment
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by MetaPhysical: 2:32am On Mar 11, 2020
redsun:

They should appoint Ganduje and Ajimobi co-Chairmen of the review committee. grin

They are in-laws you know, and in govt house they are constituted authority.
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Nobody: 5:52am On Mar 11, 2020
MetaPhysical:

I posted something the day the news broke. In that post, I said that I knew he was going to be sent on exile. It was the way he was swiftly sent into exile that somewhat surprised me and not the mere fact that he was actually sent into exile.

For every deposed monarch, that is the rule. That is why I laugh at all those human rights activists saying that his rights to 'reside in Kano should be respected'. They don't know jerk.

My father explained it to me as a kid long time ago.

Now, here is the logic: Deposed or not, can there be two kings in a Kingdom??

Only the discerning can fully understand this. Once a king is deposed, he has no business whatsoever remaining in that same Kingdom over which he once presided. No sentiments about that. He must be coerced into exile at all costs. It is an age-old tradition.

OP is actually spot on on this. Only those versed in the monarchical system can fully understand this.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by APCNig: 5:55am On Mar 11, 2020
Bilabong:
FU**CK KANO...

So that he can sell World Bank to his friends as he did with Oceanic and Intercontinental Bank. His forefathers must be mad.

He is down on the ground where he truly belongs. Useless Mallam. The thousands of bankers in Oceanic Bank, Intercontinental Bank, Bank PHB and others who lost their jobs when Sanusi Lamido forcefully took over healthy banks and sold the banks to his criminal friends at give away will not rest until Sanusi goes six feet under the soil. He is now stripped nakked and on the ground, but he is going six feet under to meet his father Lucifer.
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Nobody: 6:00am On Mar 11, 2020
APCHaram:
[s][/s]

Ganduje has shown that the Emir is a political appointment.

A monarch that is answerable to a tenured elected politician is no monarch abeg.

The case of abdication and dethronement only applies for real sovereign heads with real powers that constitute a threat to their successor.

I guess you've never heard of puppet-kings or puppet-monarchs then. History is replete with examples of puppet monarchs.
In Nigeria's case, ever since the British instituted their rule (starting from c. 19th/20th century), the concept of puppet monarchy has been a thing. They started this tradition whereby the governor can simply do as he wishes with the traditional ruler.

All traditional rulers in Nigeria are mere puppet kings holding office at the mercy or patronage of a higher authority- usually the one who hands him the staff of office at coronation.

A monarch is a monarch regardless of how you view it or how much power he wields.

Op still has a point. A valid one at that.

Don't just take my word for it. Go search and read up on the concept of puppet monarchy.

1 Like

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 11, 2020
hmm
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Yebosola(m): 7:09am On Mar 11, 2020
mansakhalifa:

I posted something the day the news broke. In that post, I said that I knew he was going to be sent on exile. It was the way he was swiftly sent into exile that somewhat surprised me and not the mere fact that he was actually sent into exile.

For every deposed monarch, that is the rule. That is why I laugh at all those human rights activists saying that his rights to 'reside in Kano should be respected'. They don't know jerk.

My father explained it to me as a kid long time ago.

Now, here is the logic: Deposed or not, can there be two kings in a Kingdom??

Only the discerning can fully understand this. Once a king is deposed, he has no business whatsoever remaining in that same Kingdom over which he once presided. No sentiments about that. He must be coerced into exile at all costs. It is an age-old tradition.

OP is actually spot on on this. Only those versed in the monarchical system can fully understand this.

Kare ,you are verse and knowledgeable, not people typing nonsense on NL because my enemy's enemy is my friend ,Oba kipe meji laafin.

1 Like

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:48am On Mar 11, 2020
MetaPhysical:

In North, Sanusi is a superbly educated and foremost scholar.

In South, he is a nobody academically or professionally.

He got the First Bank job and subsequently CBN by his bloodline, not because he is an intellectual.

He is not qualified to lead a bank Nigeria....much more a world bank. What are you guys smoking?

Unlike the typical Northerner Sanusi's spoken English is polished, beside that what else does he have to put him in world bank?

I disagree. Northern or Southern Nigeria, Sanusi is a very intelligent person. I'm from the south BTW.

1 Like

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by 0m0nnakoda: 8:21am On Mar 11, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Chei!

You will be banished to Arochuckwu for this post.

Name one king in Nigeria that was deposed, exiled and returned to ordinary citizenship. grin
Well you did not restrict yourself to
"Deposed or deposed and exiled or even to Nigeria" did you? You wrote as if Moses came down from Mount Sinai with explicit rules about this?

Well if I am to be banished anywhere it can never be Arochukwu, God forbid.There is a Wikipedia article on Monarchs who abdicated e.g. Edward VIII.
My point is avoid making sweeping unfounded generalisations
Avoid fufu,if you can't do not overdose grin
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by 0m0nnakoda: 8:34am On Mar 11, 2020
PatrickOkunima:
I disagree. Northern or Southern Nigeria, Sanusi is a very intelligent person. I'm from the south BTW.
This is something I hear a lot
How is he very intelligent.? I really do not get it?
How is he more intelligent than the other Sanusi that was CBN governor or than any other CBN governor?
That he was the first CBN governor to donate CBN money to his state.?

Yinka Odumakin said in the past we knew CBN governors by their signature and photograph I.e they did not talk unnecessarily or politically.
This is the case around the world. CBN governors are like the referees in a football game. They are doing a good job when they remain,unnoticed unobtrusive.

As such we should see Sanusi for what he is ,a narcissicistic attention seeker with lack of discretion ,tact and common sense.

I really do struggle with this business of self promotion in Nigeria we have seen it with the likes of Sanusi,El Rufai,
and many others.

When you dig deeper and interrogate these notions you see nothing of substance.
I do not see how he is more intelligent than Jim Ovia,,MC Oluomo or Goodluck Jonathan.

In one month Sanusi spoke more than Emefiele does in one year does that make him more intelligent?
A man who is always getting sacked is not very intelligent especially when he lacks the aptitude to start his own business.
Sanusi got to where he did because of who he is .

1 Like

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by ValCon888: 8:43am On Mar 11, 2020
This is a really good thread, so let me chip in my own two cents.
Everything Metaphysical has said is on point. Once a king is deposed, he can no longer enter the land he once ruled.

I'll use the example of King Edward VII. The English King who abdicated his throne to marry his American lover Wallis Simpson. He spent all his life abroad.

He was given special permission to attend family funerals and the only time he stepped foot in the United Kingdom without permission was when they brought back his dead body from France for burial. You can read more about him here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VIII
Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by Stirling0: 8:50am On Mar 11, 2020
princemillla:
I feel for sanusi but he should forget about all this king this king that. That guy is productive. I blamed him for accepting the post of emir in the first place. Use and dump.

He should pursue whatever post he wishes and get out of that 2 bedroom bungalow. What Nonsense

A former CBN governor living in 2 bedroom bungalow
my guy milla cheesy

1 Like

Re: This Is How Exile For Traditional Ruler Works by sapientia(m): 9:38am On Mar 11, 2020
He should start up an Islamic bank

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sincerely, Southwest Have Largely Remained Underdeveloped Outside Lagos / Bank Robbery In Lagos, About 75mins Ago / "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.