Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,781 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

The College Girl (rewritten) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The College Girl (rewritten) (1058 Views)

The College Girl / DOG DAYS : ARMY MATERIAL rewritten and completed by X / Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The College Girl (rewritten) by QueenyFaith(f): 4:36am On Mar 11, 2020
The first installment in the, the girl series.

The College girl is a story that revolves around ---. It tells about Ifesinachi Uzonndu getting admission into the University of Pennsylvania via a scholarship program, and how this changes not just her life but that of those around her..

In life, one tends to meet with people of different backgrounds, cultures and even lifestyles, and this tends to shape our lives and maybe even destinies in the long run. This comes by way of influence where we influence and are influenced by people, but it is via wisdom that one is able to discern right and wrong influence.

Such is the case with Ifes, she gets to meet with Mandy Parker and her squad of Friends who one could call well to do. They could be referred to as high class, but even with their wealth, there is this vacuum in their lives that money cannot fill. They go about living high and large in life, but on the inside, they are just empty bodies walking about..

Yo.... then comes into the picture and attempts to provide a filling ( by preaching the good news right??) for their seemingly empty lives. I wouldn't suffice to say it was a smooth ride because it wasn't. There were sudden stops at junctions,pot holes, engine failures, but at the end, one could say it was fulfilling. Although it was a case of winning some and losing some, at the tail end, satisfaction came from having being able to have reached someone.

Note that this book is unedited..

©© All rights reserved.
Re: The College Girl (rewritten) by QueenyFaith(f): 4:40am On Mar 11, 2020
Dedicated to the Holy Spirit.

Ding dong, dong ding! The alarm clock chimed..

time check, 6 a.m. on Wednesday, 23rd of April..

Ifes excitedly jerked from her bed! Finally, the D-Day was here, the day she has been waiting for, the day she would be writing her final WAEC paper.

Isn't God great!" she mumbled to herself, soon after she lifted up her hands to the heavens to do what her Parents taught her to always do first thing in the morning. 

What a mighty God I serve, what a mighty god I serve.

Heaven and earth adores Him, even Angels bow before Him.

What a mighty God I serve."

the lyrics were flowing out excitedly from the bottom of her heart, she  expressed herself like never before!

After singing and praying for 30 minutes, she undressed took off her towel and entered the bathroom..

She could not attend the general family devotion as she knew the family had their devotions by 5 a.m. every morning.

Her parents understood why she could not attend, Ifes had done overnight Reading and praying, she finally slept by 4 a.m..

Ifes and her family lived in a 3-bedroom flat which was not up to the standard of a good flat, they all shared   one bathroom and toilet and the compound was as good as a Nigerian face me I face you house....

Ifes open the door and stepped out, and made sure she slammed it behind her.

She spun around and  made for the bathroom when her gaze greeted that of her mother's.

Good morning Ma!" she bowed slightly as a sign of respect.

Her mother smiled! good morning my dear, how was your night?"

My night was..." before she could complete that statement, her sister Udochi cut her off with her greetings..

Good morning Ifes." Udochi walked past her mother and her sister to the kitchen to wash her brothers and her used plates.

I know you are prepared for your last paper my dear?" Ifes mother( Mrs Oluebube asked after Ifes replied her sisters greetings.

Ifes blushed. yes Mum!"

I trust you my dear." Oluebube patted her daughter's back gently. now go and take your bath, your food will be waiting."

Ifes had her bath immediately and came out with her body still dripping wet. She rushed back into the room she shared with her sister.

Her sister was already dressed in her school uniform and ready to go to school with her brothers.

Okay sis, I am off to school with Uchenna and Obinna, see you!" UD waved at her sister, grabbed her backpack and bolted out of the room.

Goodbye, see you too!" Ifes waved back at her sister despite knowing UD couldn't see her.

In no time, she was done dressing, she took out her maths set and every other exam materials and stepped out of her sister's and her room.

She went straight to the food her mother had kept for breakfast on the centre table in their living room, it was served in a plastic cup and the plates...

She opened the plate and it contained four slice of bread, she needed no soothsayer to tell her before she  knew the cup was a cup of tea.

She tilted her head back and forth looking for a little stool with which she would use to sit down and eat her breakfast.

She sat down on the seat closest to her and munched on her food, soon after she was done, she thanked her mum.

She stood up, scooped up her plate to wash them  in the kitchen when her mum asked her not to worry, and said she will wash them herself.

Ifes persuaded but her mother insisted!

Ifes finally gave in to her mother's summit, and when she was about stepping out of the door, her mother held one of her hands between her's. I am proud of you!"

Thank you Mum!" Ifes said and they both hugged.

It was difficult for Ifes but she broke the hug anyways, she wanted to be in school before the assembly time which was starting in 28 minutes.

She walked through the Alley greeting every neighbour her eyes Met, she didn't greet her dad that morning because he had long left for work before she woke up that morning.

He was a commercial driver, driving from Awka to Onitsha everyday.

She busted out in her Street, Dike Street.

She navigated all the streets road to get to the main road.

As she walked to school, the only words that occurred in her heart was thank you Jesus!" thank you Jesus!"

She kept walking until she got to the ekeawka market roundabout, Which was where she supposed to get a bus, KeKe or Okada (motorcycle bike)  to her school.

The roundabout was crowded as usual with market men and women who didn't sell inside the market, bus drivers and their conductors Agberos were loading their empty buses to different destinations,

Students moved around the market roundabout, either waiting for a conveyor to carry them to school, or walking down to the school..

Ifes could see students of saint John of God secondary school, Amaenyi girls secondary school, Igwebike boys, Hez Dike primary  secondary school, Kenneth Dike secondary school, st Faith Anglican primary School, royal saints primary and secondary school, and the list goes on....

Civil workers, laborers, the self-employed were also seen at the roundabout, some had entered the empty buses while some probably trekked to their working place.

Ifes crossed over to the other side of the road opposite the roundabout, Not after she heard and saw two drivers fighting and cursing at the top of their voice.

The reasons were not far-fetched, she knew they were quarreling over a passenger.

The first time Ifes saw something like that, it startled her, with time she got use to it, neither her or the crowd at the market roundabout will bat an eyelash at such thing.

Thunder fire you!"

I say na you thunder go fire first!" The driver who was first insulted responded.

God punish your father, onye ara (mad man)!"

god punish you and your generations!"

Their voice slowly faded away as she walked far to a distant where she could no longer hear them, she tilted her head around to see the agbero boys instigating the two drivers to keep fighting..

Out of the five agbero boys, three of their faces were familiar, she had reached out to them in one of her evangelism outreach...

She remembered they didn't give their lives to Christ that day, rather they ended up making advances to her, she had walked away disappointed.

She wanted to join the other passers-by who were laughing at the drivers insults but   her father abruptly came to mind ...

Someone passed by her and mutterd a curse to the fighting drivers that jolted her from her thoughts.

O na aga?" (Are you going?"  A Keke pulled in front of Ifes nudging her to enter.

Ifes glanced inside the keke to see that the back seat had already been occupied by 3 students who were also going to her school, then finally joined the driver in the front seat.

Good morning Senior." the three students at the back greeted simultaneously as the keke driver drove off..

As she tilted her head around to reply they are pleasantries, she saw smiles flickered across their faces, and the way the youngest among them Shun his teeth also made her smile and made her forget her worries.

Ifes found herself conversing with the students happily. Are you siblings?" Ifes asked the trio.

Yes, we are." the one Ifes presumed to be the eldest replied pointing  at herself and the other two. My name is Prisca, my sister's name is Joy and he is Joseph, I am your twin Brothers classmate, Joy is in JS3."

And I am in JSS1 so I am your sister's classmate." Joseph chimed in.

Ifes grined, from the way they spoke it was obvious they knew her very well..

But who wouldn't know her in the school since She was the only art student that broke the school record by becoming the school SP.

Up until this time, that preafect position was always given to science students.

Mmm! Senior Ifes, your brothers are so intelligent!" Prisca giggled.

Really?"

The driver pulled over in front of the schoolgate, the students paid the driver and alighted from the keke.

Goodbye senior!" Prisca and her siblings waved at Ifes as they bolted to the assembly ground since it was almost assembly time.

See you later!" Ifes waved back, and this time, they saw her.

Ifes  stood and watch till the students were out of sight, She raised up her left hand and glanced at her wrist watch.

4 minutes before the assembly starts...

Ifes decided to go do one or two things in the class before the students starts filing out of their classrooms to the assembly ground.

Look who we have here! our bookworm is around." One of the SS3 students, Chbuike said as his gaze met Ifes working inside the classroom, The students spun around glancing at the door.

Ifes beemed. Ike I don't have your time this morning!"

Enhen na! Abi I lie?" Ike glanced around the classroom giving his other classmates a questioning look..

No pidgin English inside the classroom." one of the students who was called amaka said.

Abeg leave me jorh! Am I still a student of the school?" Ike raised an eyebrow.

Yes you are, till you graduate!" Another student said.

That's a lie oo! as far as I'm concerned, we are writing our last paper today." Another student spoke in support of what Ike said.

The class divided into two as the students bantered amongst themselves..

Yes, we are students till we graduate!!!!"

no, we wouldn't be  students after today's exams!!!"

yes, we are students till we graduate!"

know, we won't be students of the school after the exams today!!!"

One of the students who was called Azubuike hit his hand so hard on the locker to stop the bantering and draw attention to himself. Na wetin sef! why the noise? you all better get ready and go to the assembly ground.

Zubi!" Ifes called out to him. Don't mind them, please let's go."

Ifes and Zubi walked to the class door but abruptly spun around. The principal is coming!!" They told their other classmates simultaneously and quickly walked down to the assembly ground, the other students followed suit to avoid the wrath of the principal who was called Mr John..

Mr John Amadi was a man in his early 50s, he was strict and never failed to take out a discipline action on any student who goes against the school rules.

the students and even the teachers feared him, he always worked with his specs on and a longcane in his left hand.

Ifes was called up to the platform by the school principal to officially hand over they are prefect positions to their successors who has been acting in their capacity when they started their exams a month back.

Ifes and other prefects got a clapping ovation as they stepped up to the platform.

She gave a speech and officially handed over to the next school SP girl

She assumed full duties after the assembly.

The brigade band was played as the students marched into their various classes..

Obinna and Uchenna bolted towards Ifes with their own band still hanging on their shoulders and waste respectively.

Hi!" they both winked at her, soon after they started mimicking the way she gave her speech, and Ifes couldn't help but laugh at that.

Her brothers always found ways of taunting her jokingly,

and the duo both love their sister so much, no one in the school would miss her absence like her brothers.

It is almost 8 a.m!". Ifes said pointing to their brigade bands on their shoulders.

All the best in your exams sister, we shall see you during the recess!!" The duo run off to their classes.

9:00 a.m., the school bell rang...

time for the SS3 students to go into their exam Hall for their final WAEC paper...

The students walked in according to their seat numbers.

There was the usual stop-and-search by the invigilators before the students were finally allowed to go into the exam Hall.

As the students entered the hall, some were obviously tensed up, fear was boldly written on some of their faces, while some of the categories of the students walked freely like they weren't going to write the exams!!!

The students were done with their exams in 3 hours, they booted out of the exam Hall screaming excitedly at the top of their voice!!!

Ifesinachi and all the SS3 students practically run around the school breaking their pens and all the exam materials they used!

Well, it has been like a tradition in Nigeria, so the principal and the teachers knew better than disrupting whatever activities the students were carrying out.

Goodbye to secondary school!"

goodbye to waec!"

The SS3 students kept screaming this words excitedly as they continued running around distracting other students who are learning in their various classes.

Usually, the school didn't allow other students to carry this out at: but because of the too much noise from the ss3 the school was forced to go on recess...

--

Ifes and her Family don fall my hand! You can imagine serving tea and bread in a plastic cup and plate, cho!

How many of you Nigerians still drink tea with a plastic cup?

Ifes don bring out una leg, oya come out here and expose yourselfs one by one! ���
Re: The College Girl (rewritten) by QueenyFaith(f): 4:57am On Mar 11, 2020
Part 2.

The SS3 students waec results was out a week before the close of the third term, Ifes and the other ss3 students use their scratch card to check their results online..

Some of their results were outstanding, while the rest of them were just average and no one got below the average mark.

Ifesinachi's result stood out amongst the rest, out of nine written subjects, she got 7 A1 and two B4.

Another student that came close was a female science student who got 6 a1, 2 B2, 1 C5...

Mummy! mummy! mum where are you?" Ifes excitedly called out to her mum as she entered the compound gate.

Ifes saw her father coming out Before she got to the door of her living room.

Come and give Daddy the good news!" Ifesinachi's Father, Mr Ifaeanyi smiled, spread out his hands inviting his daughter for a hug.

Daddy!" Ifes happily ran into her father's arms.

Her father spun her around before dropping her gently.

He glanced at the white envelope she was holding in her right hand. Let's see what my baby have inside that envelope."

Not yet, Why are you back early today from work?" Ifes looked at her dad questioningly.

Because I want to share in my baby's joy." Ifeanyi tipped his daughters chin with his index finger.

Ifes blushed shyly. But you haven't even seen the results and you're saying you want to share in my happiness."

Well, in case you have forgotten, let me remind you that I am your father, and I know what my Princess can do." Ifeanyi put his arm around his daughters shoulders. So, can we see what is inside that white envelope?"

No way!" Ifes jerked away hiding the envelope behind her. Mumy will see it first!" Ifes said jokingly.

But I saw you first!" Ifeanyi pointed to himself. So I should also see the result first as well."

No! catch me first. Ifes gave a sardonic smile and started running away from her Dad.

You children of nowadays, I will show you that I can run faster than Usain Bolt!"

Ifes and Ifeanyi started running around the compound laughing.

they practically run around the compound building, the trees and even her father's commercial bus..

She increased her speed when her dad was close to grabbing her.

Before she challenged her father to the race, she believed that her dad would get tired and quit running after her at some point, then she would emerge as the winner....

: Unfortunately, things weren't working as planned...

She was the one getting tired, but she still didn't want to quit so her dad wouldn't be the winner, she had started it, and she would end it anyhow.

Hey! hey! do you want to kill my daughter?" Mrs Oluebube bellowed when she saw them through the open window.

Oh God! God! thank you!" Ifes exclaimed happily in her heart and winked at her dad.

Ifeanyi smiled as his gaze met his wife coming towards them.

What is happening here?" Oluebube asked, her eyes flickering from her daughter to her husband.

As she came closer, her eyes glanced down at the envelope in Ifesinachi's hand, then she understood the message.

I told Daddy I was going to show you the results first, but I love you so much Dad." Ifes went close to her dad handing him the envelope. you and mum should take a look at it together, I love you two so much!" Ifes beemed with so much passion in her eyes, then spun around and walked inside the house.

On the graduation day, there were several performance by the students and even the graduants weren't left out.

Cultural dance performance by the dance group, drama presentation by the drama group, choreography, opening remark and speech by the principal and Ifes, etc.

The dress code for the graduates was a suit, while the other students were asked to wear any cloth of their choice.

The students took the advantage of wearing mufti to the graduation party to show off the best they have in their closet... Shoes like Balenciaga, louboutin, Phyllis, Nike and Alexander McQueen. shoes where all on display, though most of them were not straight out the manufacturing line of these designer labels, *wink*...

Ifes and three other ss3 students received most of the awards.

She was the youngest graduating  students among her set, she graduated at the age of 15, the other students were 16 and 17 years respectively..

Ifesinachi's 6 years in secondary school was indeed a success...

The SS3 students exchanged contacts after the graduation party, Ifes didn't have a phone at that time, so she wrote down all the contact numbers in her diary..

They said they are emotional goodbye to each other since they were going to be scattered to different universities nationwide, and most of them would probably be seeing each other for the last time.

Ifes had 345 as her jamb score, and she had chosen University of Port Harcourt as her first choice university..

Two weeks after Ifesinachi's graduation, her parents woke her up in the early hours of the day..

It wasn't a surprise to Ifes that her parents called her that early morning, the first child of Nigerian parents should always expect such calls once in a blue moon at list..

Good morning Mum and Dad." Ifes greeted.

Good morning, how was your night?" Ifesinachi's mother Asked.

My night was great, thanks."

Please take your seat." her father said.

She sat on the seat adjacent her parents.

Ifes, we want to discuss something important with you." Ifeanyi leaned forward.

First, let me start by saying that as your parents, we are proud of you and your siblings, your mother and I appreciates God for bringing you our children into our lives." Ifeanyi inhaled and exhaled slowly.

We know you've been of a great assistance to your mother in her paper business: but we would like you to consider taking up a job of your own, so you can save some money to add up for your university education."

Despite the fact that he earned low income out of his commercial driving work, Mr Ifeanyi made sure his children went to one of the most quality and expensive school in Awka.

He felt bad having such conversation with his daughter but new it was necessary, and Ifes understood..

Please excuse me, I'll be back soon." Ifes stood up from her seat, ran and walked halfway to the room she shared with her sister, soon after, her parents saw her coming out of the room with a box in hand..

Her parents were dumbfounded as they watched her bringing out money from the box!

She smiled when she saw the perplexed look on their faces.

Don't be afraid, I didn't steal the money!"

Her parents gave her the look of.. why should we not be afraid?"

Ifes went on to explain that she has been saving from the pocket money they gave her in secondary school.

Though they were amused that their daughter saved money without their notice, but their minds was at peace after they gained knowledge of the source of her money!

Ifes decided to use the money to trade on bottled and sachet water.

Around 7 a.m. that same day, Ifes had her bath, got dressed for the market.

All the best my dear!" Her mother hold her emotionally and gave her a purse that she would use in keeping her money, and a medium sized transparent with which she used to carry the bottled and sachet water on her head ..

As she spun around to leave for the market, her mother held her hands from the back. You must not do this if you don't want, I! I can talk to your father about this, we will look for other alternatives!"

Ifes knew the emotional part of her mother was getting the best of her, so she flashed her mother a cherry smile. I will not allow you to spoil my first day in business, don't worry, I will buy Okpa for you when coming back and Abacha for myself."

Ifes look straight into her mother's eyes and her mother quickly looked away to hide the tears that were now threatening to come out. Are you crying?" Ifes asked.

N no! I am not!"

Ifes gave her the look of.. are you sure?"

Her mother let out a bleak laugh. yes, of course!"

Oluebube watched as her daughter disappeared out of sight, then she turned and wept bitterly!!!!

Ifesinachi's first day in her business came with its challenge: but she was successful...

Market men, women and even people that came to buy patronized her, the wheelbarrow pushers patronize her the most since they were always working directly under the Sun.

Despite knowing that the price of sachet water had up to 10 naira, some people still priced it for 5 naira... Nigerians can be very daring at times.

On Monday the following week..

Oga, no be like that I dey sell am oo." Ifes politely replied the man that wanted to buy her bottled water for a lower price in Nigerian pidgin English.

Oya, dey go na." The man hissed and looked away.

Ifes took up her pan of water and walked away from him: but she abruptly stopped when something caught her attention.

She tossed her pan on the ground, brushed her palm across her face and reread the poster carefully..

To be sure her eyes wasn't playing a prank on her, she went closer to reading the poster again.

A scholarship to study at the University of Pennsylvania in the United States of America!

Without giving it a second thought, Ifes took note of all the details on the poster and bolted to a cyber cafe to fill the form.

She felt happy after filling the form because they were about to close the entry for the scholarship exam..

As the exam date drew closer, Ifes studied vehemently.

On the exam day, The exam venue was crowded.

The students started entering the exam Hall according to their state's alphabets...

Starting from Abia, Adamawa, Akwa ibom and Ifesinachi's state Anambara.

other States like Bauchi, Bayelsa Benue,, Borno down to Zamfara state followed suit.

A month later the list of the qualified students came out...

She went back to the cyber cafe and guess what? See you in the next episode ���

--

Please drop your comments!

I'd be grateful for that, thanks for reading.
Re: The College Girl (rewritten) by QueenyFaith(f): 5:03am On Mar 11, 2020
Part 3.

In woodway Texas, United State of America.

You are welcome Mr Harper, please take your seat." Dr Harry narrowed his eyes to one of the seats adjacent him.

Bradley nervously took hiss seat as instructed, the doctor's table was between them...

Seeing that Bradley had done as he asked, he carefully tossed his pen on the book with which he was writing on, he carefully closed it and looked up to Bradley examining him carefully...

So how are you today Mr Harper?"

The same as the last time you asked, or even worst." Bradley gazed sideways.

The doctor stood up and walked carefully till he was directly  in front of Bradley with nothing between them this time...

He carried out his checkup on Bradley and shook his head when he was done.

Are you sure you don't want your family to know about this!" the doctor looked at Bradley questioningly.

Bradley shook his head forlornly. cancer is not a good news to share around."

Even the media seldom carrie out good news to the masses."

And what good has it done to the masses? They only break other people's heart for their own  cynicism!" Bradley gazed disdainfully.

Fools! they are all bunch of fools, and I will not be like them.

Dr Harry perceived that Bradley was venting the anger of his sickness on the media so he quickly changed the topic. Hope you've been following your prescriptions?"

I am trying."

Okay, that's alright, hope you remember our next schedule?"

I will always remember, as long as this.. he used a foul language. live's with me."

Hmm!" The doctor exclaimed giving Bradley a look of concern, he wanted to hold Bradley as a son and give him some words of comfort...

He wanted to curve  Bradley's face in his hands and look straight into his eyes and tell him all was going to be well..

Dr Henry new his face expressed nothing but hopelessness, and Bradley had seen it too.

He knew he had not been professional" but how could he when each time his gaze flickered to Bradley, he would remember his brother also died of the same illness..

He swiftly turn away from Bradley to wipe away the tears that dropped from his hazel eyes.

He spun around to see Bradley gazing at him in confusion.

See you in a fortnight' time Mr Hopper." Dr Harry said with the voice of dismissal.

Bradley knew his time with the doctor was up, so decided to step out so the doctor could attend to other patients. Thank you doctor for having me."

My pleasure." Dr Harry said and they both shook hands.

Bradley walked to the door, held the doorknob and wanted to yank open: but paused when he heard the doctor called out to him.

Yes doctor." he tilted his head slightly to gaze at the doctor from his sideeye with one of his hands still on the doorknob.

Please, I would like you to go over your decision again, you can still change your mind if you want."

The doctor spoke calmly but Bradley could still sense the worry from the way he spoke.

Thank you doctor." Bradley walked out of his office uncertain if he would heed to the doctor's advice.

He walked briskly across the hallway, when he got to the receptionist, he flashed her a smile and continued walking till he was out of the hospital door.

How did this start? and when will it end?" Nausea swept over Bradley, this comforting him.

Bradley pondered on how it will look like when he died leaving his only brother and parents behind, the imagination sent cold chill down his spine..

He stood and watched as the hospital door flung  open and closed severally, patients were either coming in or going out of the hospital.

He was so engrossed in his thoughts that he jerked when he felt a hand tapped him on his shoulders.

Umm! Sir, are you in pains?"

Haaa! Me?"

Yes." The nurses eyes narrowed to his own. You are crying."

The nurse was telling the truth, tears stream down his eyes, he had subconsciously satdown on one of the stairs.

He quickly wiped  the tears on his eyes with his white handkerchief..

He raised his head gazing at, the nurse.

when her gaze met his, she knew something other than his illness troubled him.

She saw that he was trying to get up, then she held his hands helping him to his feet..

Thank you!" he said, almost whispering.

She flashed him a cherry smile. you're welcome, I pray God will help you."

She had spoken those words sincerely, praying for him was the only thing she could think of doing at that time...

Thank you." was the only reply he could think  of giving her as he wondered why a professional nurse had spoken religious words to him.

He stepped down from the stairs and walked to the parking lot, his car keys dangling in his hand.

He got to his car, opened the door and slid into the driver's seat.

The nurses gaze followed him till he was covered by his car tinted glass, then she mumbled a prayer.

Oh Lord! please help..." She remembered she didn't ask his name.

Oh Lord? please help that young man." She pointed to his car. let him find you and accept you as his lord and savior if he hasn't, and if he has, please be with him, open his eyes to see your purpose for him."

Fiona? beloved! I've heard your prayers, I'll reach out my love to him." The still small voice spoke and she recognised him..

She raised her hands to her shoulder length and give thanks to God, then spun around and entered the hospital.

Bradley slid his keys into the car ignition and the engine roared to life.

His phone chimed, causing him to step on the breaks.

He scooped up his phone and glanced at the caller ID.

Yes Mandy! what is it?"

The caller at the other end ignored the harshness in his question and broke out a good news to him.

We've been admitted!" She exclaimed happily.

We!?" He said the word, not sure if he was exclaiming or asking.

Yes!" I mean, you, Hunter, Ryan, Annemarie, Skylar, Megan, Avery and I have been offered admission to study at the University of Pennsylvania.

The news of their admission made his eyes glitter.

We'll be throwing a party in Ryan's house, make sure you come early." she said and disconnected the call.

Oh my G!" He paused quickly when he realised he wanted to call God...

Was there any God? himself and his friends were atheist  they had never believed in the existence of any sky daddy, and he wasn't sure they would ever believe..

He remembered the way the nurse called God stared up something inside him.

Confusion everywhere, which of the gods is real?" he gave a sardonic laugh.. and which one was she talking about?"

She might be a Muslim, no!" He shook his head. Buddhist, catalyst, or even a Christian, which one did she belong to?" Bradley stifled his curiosity, turned on his ignition and drove out of the parking lot.

Bradley and his Friends spent the whole night partying, he had returned to his normal happy self, Like he always did whenever he was with them...

A woman stood in front of a mirror looking at her reflection over and over again.

She let out a laugh that only expressed animosity   and walked to her wine bar.

She pourd  herself a glass of wine then carefully gulp down its contents...

Enjoying the way it burnt her throat, she poured herself another glass.

She did this severally till her vision became blurry, and her feet heavy to carry her.

But she was thankful that her senses were still intact..

She staggered to one of her sofas, and recline into the seat.

She belch loudly. it is time to have my pound of flesh mister William Miller!" She glared at the photo in her hand.

It is good your son Ryan has been offered admission to the University of Pennsylvania, let me see what you will do now that he's gonna be far from you!"

She looked at the man in the photo disdainfully as anger radiated her body.

Ryan will never graduate from that college alive, I swear it!"

I will watch you grief over your son, suffer slowly till you commit suicide.. I'll spread out my venom and destroy you till there's nothing that is left of you again?"

She held the picture in both hands and tore it into shreds, telling herself that this was how she would destroy him and everything he held sacred.

in Nigeria....

See you in the next episode..
Re: The College Girl (rewritten) by QueenyFaith(f): 10:06pm On Mar 13, 2020
Part 4.

Ifes and her family prepared for her departure to the US..

She had passed the scholarship exams and had her name on the merit list.

Ifesinachi! Ifesinachi! Ifes! Oluebube called out peering into the room from the passage.

Ma!" Ifesinachi's voice echoed from the living room..

I am ready, come out let's go to the market!"

Nodding her head, Ifes quickly stood up and made for the door. I am here, let's go."

They both stepped out, working through the alleyway under the shadow of their compound trees as they reached for the gate.

Where are your brothers?" Oluebube asked, her right hand on the gate handle.

They're preparing to go watch a match in one of the viewing centres." Ifes pointed over her shoulder to the house.

She let out a sigh of relief, okay, let's go."

Now she could finally spend time with her daughter alone as she had always craved for, she thought silently.

Ebube knew how much her sons love watching football...

She knew she was in, to hearing another banter from her boys and husband after the match: but what does it matter?

God had spared her some time with her daughter and that was all that mattered to her.

Ifeanyi would always ask and discuss about the match with his sons when he came back from work, they talked about the Nigerian professional football league, the English premier league, Spanish la Liga, Italian serie r, French ligue 1, German bundesliga, even the champions league and the UEFA Europa league..

Ebube was happy that she would finally have some nice discussion, especially that little women secret talks which her sons had denied her..

Her brothers never failed to exploit any opportunity they had to spend time with her.

There were two roads from their Street that led to the Ekeawka market, but Ebube chose to follow the long road to have more time with her daughter.

Walking along their streets pedestrian, Ifes and her mom got to talking excitedly.

Ifes said something and it made her mother laugh, but her laughter was abruptly cut short when she heard what she never desired to hear.

No! we are following our mother and sister to the market.

Ifes and her mother turn sharply to see Uchenna and Obinna coming behind them, after they said those words to the person who had ask them a question.

Ifes and her mother had been so engrossed in their discussions that they didn't notice the duo coming behind them.

Her mother gave her the look of.. you said they were going to the viewing centre?"

Reading her mother's expression she replied with a confused gaze...

Her mother glared at the duo in frustration. And where are you two going to?

We saw you two going to the market, so decided to come along." Obinna said pointing to himself and his twin brother grining.

Are you all done with your house chores?" Ebube asked, looking for an excuse to send them back..

Yes na." Uche said.

But I thought you guys usually went to the viewing centres during weekends?" Ebube asked.

Mmm! Tomorrow is Sunday, we shall go after church."

Ebube wanted to ask another question when obinna altered the sentence that made her speechless.

Hay! This sun is too much, let's go to the market now oo!"

Ebube wanted to cry out in frustration, but decided to let it be.

She walked far ahead as her children followed behind her, talking and laughing excitedly..

They got to the market and entered the line where clothes, shoes, handbags and jewelries were sold..

they navigated some of the shops but finally settled in the one Uchenna suggested they enter.

They entered, and like other customers, they walked around the clothing line selecting clothes.

Ifes, try this ones out, I think it will fit you." Obinna handed the Jean skirts he picked up for her..

She liked the ones her brother chose for her, and tried it on as he said..

seeing that it fit in, they decided to ask the price since it had no Price tag.

The three of them costs N 7500." The attendant said looking up from his account book.

Their mothers face turned pale.. that is quite expensive!"

Madam, it's because I like your face oo, that's why I'm selling it to you at that price, if not, I sell each of them at N4000." the attendant lied through his teeth.

Knowing how business people lied, her mother insisted on getting the Jean skirts at a lower price. I will buy each of them at the price of..."

N2000." One of the duo bellowed cutting her sentence.

Their mother shot him a glare.. keep quiet Uchenna!"

I am buying each of them at N1000." their mother turned to the attendant.

Aah! Madam that is too cruel of you." The attendant's facial expression was livid..

That is what I have to pay for the skirts."

But that's not true, your son said you have two thousand."

Their mother's face went hot. So who is buying the clothes from you! me... Ebube pointed to herself.. or my son?"

The attendant gazed in confusion.. but you came together?"

Okay, let my son buy the clothes and give you the money." she turned to her daughter.. ifes, let's go."

Their mother started working out of the shop, her children behind her when the attendant called them back.

I will sell it to you at N1200, nothing more, nothing less."

their mother made to protest against the price but was hushed by her children..

She gave in to her children's persuasion, they stepped back inside selecting other clothes to the ones they picked earlier.

Ebube watched as the twins were selecting clothes, skirts, shoes, etc and was close to tears..

She was appalled at the way the boys were selecting it like they had come to buy the whole shop. Uchenna and Obinna will not kill me!"

Obinna scooped up an expensive handbag, and tossed it to his sister grining, ebube felt like scooping him up the way he did to the expensive handbag and fling him out the door of the shop..

Loving the handbag her brother gave to her, Ifes diverted her gaze to her mother to share in her excitement...

Her mother forced a smile: but not before Ifes noticed the worried look on her face.

Ifes glanced down at the stuffs her brothers had selected for her, then it dawned on her that they have selected too much and it might be out of her mother's budget..

Oh Lord! please forgive me!" she cried in her heart., She had been so excited that she didn't notice how it bothered her mother..

She glanced up to give her mother a reassuring smile but noticed that even the little smile her mother forced had evaporated.

The only words that echoed in her heart was. Uche and obi!

Ifes shifted her gaze from her mother to her brothers, and saw the duo walking towards her with more items in hand.

She quickly flashed the duo a grin. I think I have more than enough."

They didn't relent till they tossed her their items. we still think you should add these ones."

But these are too much for me." Ifes said, not wanting to tell them that the main reason was because of money.

Although she didn't tell them, Ifes and her mother's facial expression gave them away.

Obinna put his arms around his sister's shoulder, and Uchenna did likewise to his mother.

We are paying for those items." Uchenna said as Obinna beamed.

W what! What do you mean.. we?" Ebube stammered.

Obinna and I." Uche pointed to himself and his brother.

Their mother gave them the look of.. what are you saying?"

Reading their mothers facial expression, they elucidated that they got the money from the menial jobs they did after school and during weekends.

Their mother stared at them, reminiscing how they went out after school hours..

trusting her children,, she believed they went to one of their classmates house for school assignments, and weekends for the viewing centres.

God! what kind of children have you given me?" She pondered in her heart staring into space.

First, it was Ifes saving up some money and now her sons, she wondered the surprise that was waiting for her from her last daughter UD.

Don't cry, you are in a public place and people are watching." Uchenna wiped the tears that weld up in his mother's eyes.

I wasn't crying." their mother laughed sheepishly.

Seeing how weird their mother looked, the trio couldn't help but laugh out loud that they Drew attention of other customers, and all the attendance towards them.

There are other things to buy, you children should go and pay up let's leave here. Ebube beamed, nodgeing her children to the counter.

After the payment, they stepped out with their mother to get other necessaries before leaving the market..

The next day, Sunday.

Ifes and her twin Brothers dressed up and attended the first service to the fifth and last service.

They were all in the choir unit, and served in different capacities.

Ifes was one of the church choristers, Obinna was a keyboardist, while Uchenna was a lead guitarist: but also knew how to play the bass guitar.

It was time to hear the sermon, the church connected to the headquarters in Port-harcourt in Rivers State Nigeria, to hear the word of god from the presiding pastor.

Pastor David finished preaching and made an altar call for those who wanted to give their lives to Christ..

Ifes was elated to see the people she reached out to during one of her evangelism coming out for the altar call.

There is Joy in heaven for a soul that repents!!

I would like you to repeat after me." Pastor David said.

Lord Jesus..

come into my Life..

I believe that you died and Rose from the dead to save me..

Now with my mouth..

I confess you Lord over my life..

Thank you father for saving me..

In Jesus name.

Amen.

Ifes and her family went home to make her final preparation to leave the next day, which was Monday.

They all retired to their rooms but Ifes couldn't sleep, her family couldn't sleep because of the glee they felt.

They wanted to give their gratitude to God in praises and worship.

Ifes thought of her life from childhood to her teen age and concluded that it had been by the grace of God.

Just then, Solomon Lange's song titled Grace poured into her heart.

She raised up her hands to the heavens and started singing.

Amazing Grace is the sweetest sound, that saved my Life.

You know you are definitely not singing that song without me."

Ifes dropped her hands to her sides, spun around to see Uchenna standing at the door post and bowed her head slightly smiling.. I'm sorry Sir."

Where is your guitar?" she raised her head looking at her brother.

Over here." he spun around to show the guitar that hung on his back.

So, shall we?" he gave his sister a questioning look.

Not yet, not without me."

Uchenna frowned slightly seeing Obinna coming to their sisters room with his keyboard in hand.

Why do you always interrupt my sisters and I every time?"

and why do you always disturb them with every opportunity you have?" Obinna replied

Ifes and Udochi laughed..

Because they are my sisters." Uchenna pointed to himself.

They are also my sisters." Obinna did likewise.

Enough!" Ifes stood between the duo placing her hands on their chest.

I think with the addition of the keyboard and guitar, we will make more melody, or what do you think?" Her gaze flickered from Obinna to Uchenna.

You are right!" UD chimed in turning her siblings attention to her.. since this is Uchenna's favourite song, I think he should lead as he plays the guitar, Ifes and I will do the backup, while Obinna will play the keyboard."

Perfect!!!" Ifes and her brothers said simultaneously..

As they sang, they felt the glory of God encompass around them.

The next day, Ifes, her father and brother took off to the nearest bus station and boarded the first bus that left for Lagos.

As she was about to enter the bus, one of her twin Brothers Obinna held her by the hand from behind.. wait, we have something for you."

Ifes tilted her head to look at her brother.

Please manage this, this is what our money could afford." Obinna stretched out his hands towards his sister.

Amused, dumbfounded, perplexed, bewildered, these are the words that could best describe the expression on Ifesinachi's face when she saw the Nokia C5 her brother was handing over to her.

She embraced her brothers, buried her face in their shoulders and wept.

We love you, you know we love you right?" Uche said.

Yes, and I'll miss you two so much!" Ifes looked into their eyes while their father watched in amusement.

she gave her brothers another hug, then turned to her father and did likewise before entering the 18-seater bus.

As the bus pulled out from the station, the twins and their father felt their hearts tearing apart.

They stood and watched till the bus was out of sight.

Ifes was going to Lagos for the first time in her life, she couldn't sleep when other passengers slept, she decided to witness everything that she was told about Lagos, and the journey with her own eyes..

She saw the river Niger in onitcha that demarcated Anambra and delta state,

Still Driving, they entered Edo state from Delta and finally got to Ore where the driver stopped for the passengers to eat before continuing.

The place was noisy and croudy as she was told.

She couldn't eat the food from the restaurant as she wasn't use to eating in a public place, so she bought herself a bottle of Pepsi and meat pie.

Before the bus took off again, She walked to a less noisy environment and called her family to inform them of her progress.

She ended the call and used her white handkerchief to dab the perspiration on her face.

Ifes and other passengers who were done eating their food or didn't eat started entering the bus to avoid the scorching sun..

Driver weight oo! a passenger is not here." One of the passengers called out to the driver as he was about to take off.

Another passenger said something funny about the missing passenger, and everyone laughed.

The missing passenger came back and saw everyone laughing, he quickly noticed that it was related to him from the way they all diverted their gaze to him.

Ignoring them, he entered the bus without altering a word..

The driver slid his key into the ignition and the car engine roared to life.

The driver didn't stop again till they got to the Lagos Ibadan Express road.

She watched, fascinated as she saw a big sign board that red..

This is Lagos, shine your eyes." ���

--

To be continued.

Queen Faith. �

(1) (Reply)

Thank You. / Tears Of The Desert In Darfur: A War Memoir / "My Best Nigerian Book"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.