Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,551 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center (32459 Views)

International Christian Worship Center Uyo. Photos / International Christian Worship Center Uyo Opens Today (photos) / Atheist Society Of Nigeria Celebrates Christmas. See Reactions (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Blue3k2: 3:38pm On Mar 16, 2020
On July 26, 2019 Chief Justice Godwin Abraham, dismissed the Atheist Society of Nigeria’s (ASN’s) lawsuit which complained state funding of a Christian Worship Centre in Akwa Ibom state is unconstitutional and promotion of the worship Centre by the state Governor, Udom Emmanuel in his official capacity, was ultra vires and an abuse of his powers.

After consultation with their lawyers, our affiliate, ASN has resolved to appeal against the decision of the Chief Justice and will, if necessary, take the matter to the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

The appeal, now lodged at the Appeal Court at Calabar, states that the Chief Justice violated ASN’s constitutional right to a fair hearing and occasioned a grave miscarriage of justice. It says the judge attempted to harass and intimidate the claimant. The judge failed to take account of legal arguments and copious evidence submitted by ASN and took the side of the government on every issue despite the fact the Government produced no evidence whatsoever to support its case.

This is excellent news. Illegal government support for religious causes is rife in Nigeria and ranges from building churches and Mosques to spending millions of dollars annually sponsoring Muslims to travel to Mecca for the annual Hajj. If ASN can win this test case, the door will be open to challenging all the other cases of governments unconstitutionally supporting religions in Nigeria.

For the avoidance of doubt, neither ASN nor AAI has any objection to religious people building places of worship and going on pilgrimages—it is their constitutional right to do so. Our concern is the illegal use of public money and resources to fund and promote such religious endeavors.

AAI is making a major contribution to the legal costs of this case and we’ll keep our members and supporters informed as the case progresses. If you hate to see abuses of religious power go unchallenged, please consider making a donation towards our costs.

Source: https://www.atheistalliance.org/blog/atheist-society-of-nigeria-lodges-appeal/

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Dreal1247: 3:43pm On Mar 16, 2020
Even if the court stops it, the building must be complete.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Blue3k2: 3:54pm On Mar 16, 2020
If ASN can win this test case, the door will be open to challenging all the other cases of governments unconstitutionally supporting religions in Nigeria.

It would be very interesting to see how the supreme court rules on this matter. What legal argument is there for the government to sponsor your pilgrimage? What's crazier is they subsidize dollars at lower rates for pilgrams. Your trip to Mecca should be your business. If these programs are gone maybe they'll focus on developmental projects.

187 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Citytrend: 3:57pm On Mar 16, 2020
Akwa Ibom the Headquarters of Witches is at it again. If you know you know. Some battles are far bigger than your eyes

I bet you, the dudes fighting him might be under a strange influence. Life is not your mate

Abeg joo, I will Design a Professional Logo for your Company or Product For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Blue3k2: 4:06pm On Mar 16, 2020
Citytrend:
Akwa Ibom the Headquarters of Witches is at it again. If you know you know. Some battles are far bigger than your eyes

Imagine fighting a man who wants to save state from the Witchcraft they're known for

Lol how many people has the state prosecuted for whitchcraft. Are you aware Nigeria has laws criminalizing witchcraft, charms and juju? Those laws are dumb as well for obvious reasons. The governor ahould focus on real issues instead of imaginary enemies?

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Citytrend: 4:10pm On Mar 16, 2020
Blue3k2:

Lol how many people has the state prosecuted for whitchcraft. Are you aware Nigeria has laws criminalizing witchcraft, charms and juju? Those laws are dumb as well for obvious reasons.
Oga can you name a single Nigerian Politician who doesnt patronize the underworld?

If you cannot then that answers your questions.

Nigeria has one of the best constitution, yet one of the most lawless country on the platnet

Does that ring bell to you?

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Blue3k2: 4:18pm On Mar 16, 2020
Citytrend:
Oga can you name a single Nigerian Politician who doesnt patronize the underworld? If you cannot then that answers your questions.Nigeria has one of the best constitution, yet one of the most lawless country on the platnet Does that ring bell to you?
Citytrend:

Imagine fighting a man who wants to save state from the Witchcraft they're known for

Lol so Akwa Ibom hasnt prosecuted a single witch. I notice you immediately shifted the goal post religious zealot. At first Udom was trying to save akwa Ibom from witchfcraft by buildung the church now it's a different story. Every Nigerian politician and judge are in the underworld in your imagination.

Udom isnt in the underworld. If you have proof he is submit it. Dont just make blanket statements without proof this isnt your local pub.

Lol Nigeria doesn't have the best constitution. That's a good joke dude. The cries for restrucing and constant amends really prove that.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Citytrend: 4:39pm On Mar 16, 2020
Blue3k2:

Udom isnt in the underworld. If you have proof he is submit it. Dont just make blanket statements without proof this isnt your sunday school classrom.
Which is a decent reason to allow carryout this campaign against the men from the underworld
Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Blue3k2: 4:49pm On Mar 16, 2020
Our concern is the illegal use of public money and resources to fund and promote such religious endeavors.

Lol you'd be surprised how many people will fight against this suit. Alot Nigerian are more concerned with the supernatural than issues like public schools, water supply or roads etc.

Citytrend:
Which is a decent reason to allow carryout this campaign against the men from the underworld

Lol you religious zealots are such clowns. You guys have a hard time making reasonable arguments. You still cant answer why he hasnt prosecuted a single witch nor will you attempt to.
You're more concerned about supernatural issues. This church is the solution to witchcraft in the state because the hundreds of churches that exist dont cut it.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Citytrend: 6:04pm On Mar 16, 2020
Blue3k2:

Lol you'd be surprised how many people will fight against this suit. Alot Nigerian are more concerned with the supernatural than issues like public schools, water supply or roads etc.

Lol you religious zealots are such clowns. You guys have a hard time making reasonable arguments. You still cant answer why he hasnt prosecuted a single witch nor will you attempt to.
You're more concerned about supernatural issues. This church is the solution to witchcraft in the state because the hundreds of churches that exist dont cut it.
Oga the last last time checked, Deffs doesnt hear.

Because you can't give what you don't have.
It it men of to your sought that visits the underworld for protection, yet spiritual issues for you is irrelevant. Indeed you're endowed with wisdom for the deep things of life.

I wish your state governor will tell you what they did to remain in Power.

I desire to your level of wisdom Anyway. Congrats

1 Like

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Blue3k2: 6:15pm On Mar 16, 2020
Citytrend:
Oga the last last time checked, Deffs doesnt hear. 

Because you can't give what you don't have.
It it men of to your sought that visits the underworld for protection, yet spiritual issues for you is irrelevant. Indeed you're endowed with wisdom for the deep things of life. 

I wish your state governor will tell you what they did to remain in Power. 

I desire to your level of wisdom Anyway. Congrats

Fine I'll leave the issue. We'll never know why he didnt prosecute a singke witch.

Excuse my last comment citytrends.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Citytrend: 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2020
Blue3k2:

Lol its privilege talking to a grown man who cant apply basic logic? I agree you cant give what you dont have. Pray for common sense and the answer to my question. I answered you and all you can do is duck mine.
I'm sure you didn't read the reply I gave him

However,It is men of your sought that visits the underworld for protection, yet spiritual issues for you is irrelevant. Indeed you're endowed with wisdom for the deep things of life.

I wish your Socalled government officials who is supposed to Prosecute the Socalled Witches will tell you what they did to remain in Power.

To help your stupidity further, just Imagine Buhari Prosecuting Tinibu for the Bullion Van Event. Which was a clear Money Laundry count if not for anything

Anyway, oga I desire to your level of wisdom Anyway. Congrats
Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Citytrend: 6:30pm On Mar 16, 2020
Blue3k2:

Fine I'll leave the issue. We'll never know why he didnt prosecute a singke witch.

Excuse my last comment citytrends.
I'm sure you didn't read the reply I gave him

However,It is men of your sought that visits the underworld for protection, yet spiritual issues for you is irrelevant. Indeed you're endowed with wisdom for the deep things of life.

I wish your Socalled government officials who is supposed to Prosecute the Socalled Witches will tell you what they did to remain in Power.

To help your stupidity further, just Imagine Buhari Prosecuting Tinibu for the Bullion Van Event. Which was a clear Money Laundry count if not for anything

Anyway, oga I desire to your level of wisdom.

The country needs nen of your sought to be extremely successful
Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by zognehedro: 8:26pm On Mar 16, 2020
wink
Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by hisexcellency34: 8:26pm On Mar 16, 2020
Atheist are not different from gays

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Jeromejnr(m): 8:26pm On Mar 16, 2020
What has the Atheists themselves contributed to that state? Let's first start from there.

Anything Christianity they are ready to fight.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by globalresource: 8:26pm On Mar 16, 2020
Fighting Christians only

6 Likes

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 16, 2020
cheesy
Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by EmmanuelMacron: 8:27pm On Mar 16, 2020
After the video conference with the other six world leaders
We reached an agreement to do "whatever is necessary" to curb the effects of this Covid-19 epidemic
I want to assure you that, every measure we take from now on is in the best interest of the entire planet
We will make sure that we stabilize the world economy and give more grants to developing countries
Also that it might take 18 months for the vaccines to be available on a large scale

I will not rest until I make the planet great again

I am Emmanuel Macron

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by YorubaKinging: 8:27pm On Mar 16, 2020
Lol, the devil is a liar
Aethism are against all forms of religion except science
Where as science is also a religion , a belief in action and reactions
So riddle me this
What was before the so called big bang?

1 Like

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 16, 2020
Blue3k2:
For the avoidance of doubt, neither ASN nor AAI has any objection to religious people building places of worship and going on pilgrimages—it is their constitutional right to do so. Our concern is the illegal use of public money and resources to fund and promote such religious endeavors.

AAI is making a major contribution to the legal costs of this case and we’ll keep our members and supporters informed as the case progresses. If you hate to see abuses of religious power go unchallenged, please consider making a donation towards our costs.
There seems to be a gap in the logic: is this case against "illegal use of public money and resources" OR against "abuses of religious power going unchallenged"?

Of course, this is better left for the legal professionals to interpret...

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by WorWorBoy: 8:28pm On Mar 16, 2020
Lol

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by obi4eze(m): 8:28pm On Mar 16, 2020
angry
Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by BUHARIISCURSED(m): 8:28pm On Mar 16, 2020
They should go to Kano and try this rubbish, hypocrite atheist

7 Likes

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by abkrgumel(m): 8:28pm On Mar 16, 2020
grin
Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by ishitinyourmouf: 8:28pm On Mar 16, 2020
i am an agnostic and must say atheist are idiot. christians and muslems are bastards

5 Likes

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by darfay: 8:29pm On Mar 16, 2020
R
Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by tonididdy(m): 8:29pm On Mar 16, 2020
covid19 test

Try holding your breath for 12seconds. If you find difficulty doing this, please see a doctor or call the covid19 toll free lines.

Re: Atheist Society Of Nigeria Lodges Appeal Against Akwa Ibom Intl Worship center by OgbanjeProphet: 8:29pm On Mar 16, 2020
I am a Christian. But let me ask us ooh...

What economic value would that worship centre add to the well being of Akwa ibom State?

With all the big big churches in Nigeria, how holy are nigerians?

Any judge that rules in favour of Akwa ibom State lacks common sense.

30 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? / Chris Okotie Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today / Alert: Satan Has Poured Out Spirit Of Witchcraft, Heavily. Step Up Your Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.