Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,682 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Don't Wear Your Nose Mask Inside Out - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Don't Wear Your Nose Mask Inside Out (541 Views)

Indonesians Who Don't Wear Face-Masks Are Made To Lie In Coffins By Police (Pix) / Should I Purchase This Face And Nose Mask I Came Across On Jumia? (Photos) / Chikwe Ihekweazu: I Don't Wear Face-Masks Because No Policy On That Yet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Wear Your Nose Mask Inside Out by dvkot(m): 10:32pm On Mar 25, 2020
Only one way to wear surgical masks correctly, with the coloured side out
There is only one way to wear a surgical mask correctly, and that is with the coloured side facing outside.

And it doesn’t matter if you are wearing the mask because you are sick and don’t want to spread your germs; or are wearing it to prevent yourself from being infected.

As the world faces the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus, many have been forwarding messages on how to prevent contracting this possibly fatal virus.

One of those messages is about the correct way to way a mask, purportedly with the coloured side facing outside if you’re sick and the white side outside if you want to “stop the germs from getting in”.

This is however false, according to Medical Mythbusters Malaysia, an NGO that works to counter myths and inaccurate facts on medical matters.

One of its columnists, Bel Nawhen said that surgical masks are usually worn by healthcare professionals to prevent infections transmitted by respiratory droplets.

The outer layer is hydrophobic or is a fluid-repelling layer while the inner layer is to absorb moisture, as the air we breathe out contains moisture.

There is also typically a middle layer that filters bacteria.

“The function of the blue/green layer is to prevent germs from sticking to it. If you wear the mask the other way, the moisture from the air will stick onto it, making it easier for germs to stay there.

“When you breathe in, the germs will transfer from the outside later and straight into your lungs, ” Bel wrote in a Facebook post in January 2019 that has gone viral again recently.

Bel said that the mask must fully cover both the mouth and nose and is for single use only.

Source-https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/01/28/show-your-colours-only-one-way-to-wear-surgical-masks-correctly-with-the-coloured-side-out

Re: Don't Wear Your Nose Mask Inside Out by faaiz4ever(m): 10:33pm On Mar 25, 2020
Ok
Re: Don't Wear Your Nose Mask Inside Out by Enoch07: 10:37pm On Mar 25, 2020
I hear, but I don't think I'll ever wear this thing even if I dey Wuhan. lol na joke
Re: Don't Wear Your Nose Mask Inside Out by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 25, 2020
U r right about that but by now u shud know people understand things better with the aid of pictures or diagrams.

Just saying.....

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom State May Overtake Lagos State In Covid-19 Cases In Few Weeks / Coronavirus Drugs Made In Madagascar. / Saudi Prince 'dies Of Coronavirus'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.