Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,375 members, 7,826,475 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! (2775 Views)

Behind The Scenes Photos From "Star Wars," , And Other Classics / Star Wars 3: For those who have watched it. / Any Star Wars Fans in the house? I have episode 3 Spoilers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 7:26pm On Jun 05, 2007
Ok, I know a few people who love Star Wars should be lurking on this forum.

If you love star wars and don't mind discussing it on Nairaland, just respond to this post and list the star wars movies/books/comics/cartoons that you have played along with some general comments! Also if u feel you hate star wars, reply all the same and state your reasons!

Lemme get the ball rolling:

Movies-

episode i- phantom menace
episode ii- attack of the clones
episode iii- revenge of the sith
episode iv- a new hope (saw this first when very young. Loved it!)
episode v-empire strikes back
episode vi-return of the jedi

Books-

Dark Lord: the rise of darth vader
I, Jedi
Shatterpoint
Thrawn trilogy I: Heir to the empire
thrawn trilogy II: Dark force rising
Novel adaptation: A new hope by George Lucas

Comics-
Star Wars Legacy 1-7
Star Wars: Jedi vs Sith Trade compilation
Tales of the Jedi - scattered issues
Star wars: Twilight

Anime:
Clone wars seasons 1/2/3 (excellent)

Ok, I've revealed my arsenal, now others, shoot!
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by iice(f): 3:07pm On Jun 06, 2007
Not a die hard fan but yeah i have seen all star wars movies. Seen the Clone wars (cartoon) and can't wait for the CGI TV series.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by Vieira(m): 12:13pm On Jun 08, 2007
Loved parts IV to VI, grew up with that and read a few novels.

parts I to III have let me down bigtime and I have actually fallen out of love with Star Wars.

Star Trek rules!
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 7:57am On Jun 10, 2007
hmmm. So you didnt like the PT. Shame about that.

How did you find episode 3? That was the redeeming part of the PT in my opinion,
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by iice(f): 8:25am On Jun 10, 2007
Episode 2 is probably the worst. . .the whole love story thing overshadowed the rest of the story
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 10:22am On Jun 10, 2007
Hmmmm. I dont agree.

The love story was the stupidest part of episode 2, but the politics and police-ing was pretty good, and the action towards the end was non-stop. Yoda fighting was amazing!

Also I liked the Jesus-lookalike Obi-wan grin

In my opinion, ep I was the worst, because of 1,000 things, but these are the top of the list:

(a) Jar Jar.
(b) Crappy child actors. The actor for Ani was useless.
(c) Time wasting on stuff that doesnt concern us. ie 'bigger fish' adventures, podracing
(d) Stupid unconvincing padme action scenes ie climbing through windows, confronting the viceroy
(e) Horribly incompetent Obi-wan when fighting Maul

aaaargh the list is endless. Ep1 has some beautiful scenes and lovely visuals but all the problems highlighted above just detract from the experience!

ep 6 is also pretty low on my list because of all the stupid muppets in Jabba's cantina. And the Ewoks. So stupid.

ESB and ROTS are the best, in my opinion.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by iice(f): 2:30pm On Jun 11, 2007
Ok i agree with JarJar angry Senseless prattle which consumed valuable film roll that should have been used on other scenes!

LOL granted the Ewoks were erh kiddie crap, i still prefer the original three to the new ones. I just had a blast watching them. The sense of wonder and movie magic.

Ep 1 - lovely visuals the whole darth maul fight kindda bummed! i would have loved to see more. However i still preferred it to Ep 2. But i still the maintain that the love story crap kindda overwhelmed the rest of the story. Even though the fight scene of Yoda is undoubtedly imprinted in the minds of those who watched it, most i may presume undecided cannot exactly separate or remember the politics of the republic, the policing of the jedis, the fight with the clone troops from the love story. Ok i know a movie is supposed to be enjoyed in its entirety and parts of it should make an impact but personally, i couldn't seem to escape the two lovey dovey people, its like you're enjoying a scene and getting into it then all of a sudden its back to the crap.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 7:58am On Jun 12, 2007
lol

but remember part of GL's intent was to show how crap ani was at toasting women.

he *has* been raised in a monastery u know grin
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by iice(f): 2:49pm On Jun 12, 2007
Imao! Indeed he was terrible at it. But it seemed to work on Padme Amidala undecided

Ep3 - Anakin tried to redeemed himself - not really better than Ep 2 but the key word is not really better grin. I prefer his dark self compared to his 'vainly trying to be' good self grin
Most people i know, didn't really enjoy his turning over to the dark side, they seemed to be more into his misdirected goodness. Truly painful for me to watch. grin I absolutely love him as the young darth Vadar grin
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 9:40am On Jun 13, 2007
Ani was a whiny brat right from episode 1

Yoda looked into his mind and rightly disqualified him for jedi-hood from the get-go

In episode 2 his arrogance and selfishness were the biggest stand-outs of his personality

If Ani seemed like an idiot in eps1 and 2 it wasnt because Hayden couldnt act. Its because ANI was trying to pretend he was something he was not (a good person)

When he finally embraced his evil self, it was like he was finally doing the things he had always wanted to do, thats why he was cool in eps3.

His moves didnt *really* work on padme. Remember she was always playing the 'My little brother!' card on him until it was like they were gonna die. Then she decided, I might as well confess cos we aint surviving this anyway!

Anyway, like chris rock said, a woman already knows whether or not shes gonna f$ck you from the moment she meets you. All the lyrics na story. She don gel finish from 'Ani! You've grown!!!!!'
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by iice(f): 10:51am On Jun 13, 2007
Lmao @ Ani you've grown! grin grin

Yes ooo, i don't attribute his wackness in Ep1 & 2 to Hayden's acting skills (Love Hayden BTW grin) It was the whole trying to be something he really is not that made him seem the idiot.

Thankfully, he realized his full potential - being evil, which is much better
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 6:06pm On Jun 13, 2007
lol! evil is better! lol

by the way, since we are the only 2 people talking here, I can hereby declare the nairaland starwars fan club registration CLOSED with a grand total membership of two, including the founder. what a freaking success, undecided

This place is reeeealy getting boring, undecided
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by iice(f): 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2007
LOL, i think you need to give it more time. I know there are some out there abi on NL, i think lol.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by Seun(m): 6:13pm On Jun 13, 2007
parts I to III have let me down big time and I have actually fallen out of love with Star Wars.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Yoda fighting was amazing!
The force is strong on this one.

i still prefer the original three to the new ones.
Love Star Wars, or love not Star Wars. There is no "prefer". cheesy
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by gbadex1(m): 6:56pm On Jun 13, 2007
Episode3 was the shit. Episode1 was like watching Teletubbies with ma lil' nephew (spoilt brat) - what with Jar Jar's looney antics. Episode2 was in between, btw illness and wackness.

True, Anakin's rise to Darth Vader was sad - 't was like the dude knew he was evil from his mom's womb. Anyhow sha, the story don end, all hail George Lucas
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by GANZ(m): 7:24pm On Jun 13, 2007
I must agree that some scenes in the some of the episodes were somewhat unnecessary . I just wished

we had seen more Light Sabre battles. The one between Yoda and Count Duku (Episode 1) was probably

one of the best fighting sequences in the star wars series closely followed by Yoda and the emperor in

Episode 3 but in saying this i find myself still in awe of this story. Probably has to go down as one of the

greatest sci-fi movies of all time without a doubt.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by odd: 8:28am On Jun 14, 2007
darkmanzero, i am your father.

Starwars is the shit. i want them to come up with some new story for another trilogy.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 10:01am On Jun 14, 2007
Somehow I feel Ani vs Obiwan in eps 3 was the best duel. It had more speed, intensity and was made even better because we weren't sure of the outcome- I mean, we all knew Obi would survive and Ani would get a lava bath but we didnt know for sure who would actually WIN.

The outcome was the best in my opinion.

Yoda vs Dooku was also amazing! In particular I respect Dooku cos it would take a total DON to withstand such an onslaught! Somehow Yoda didnt fight as hard against Sidious.

The worst battles would be obi and quigon vs maul (incompetence and crapness galore) although they performed better when going one-on-one against him, and sidious vs the jedi clown-cil before Mace stepped up to represent
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by Seun(m): 10:25am On Jun 14, 2007
Yoda vs Dooku was also amazing! In particular I respect Dooku because it would take a
total DON to withstand such an onslaught! Somehow Yoda didnt fight as hard against Sidious.
What? Dooku was so weak, it only took Anakim to defeat him. Anakim is so weak, Obiwan Kenobi defeated him!
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by texazzpete(m): 1:18pm On Jun 14, 2007
Seun:

What? Dooku was so weak, it only took Anakim to defeat him. Anakim is so weak, Obiwan Kenobi defeated him!

forget what's in the movies: the official star wars canon ranks Dooku as the best swordsman in the Order, second only to Yoda. he's actually supposed 2 have lost to Anakin by underestimating him. . .

dakmanzero, for you to say the pod racer scenes were crappy in Ep1, you should know that that's the favorite part of the movies for many fans
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2007
@tp
*podracing was nice if taken out of context, but in the context of the movie, it serves no purpose and lasted entirely too long. No suspense, no drama, no nothing. Plus the nonsense of Ani fixing a busted podracer while using it.

@seun
*Dooku is the top swordsman in the order. Ani beat him because Dooku was unprepared for the sudden increase in power ani got from channeling the dark side. Also, Dooku was not prepared for Ani's use of the sith style. He's a master at holding off Ataru masters like yoda (number 1 in Ataru) and he was in the process of destroying Ani's Ataru for the second time. Ani changed to the sith style as soon as he started channeling the dark side (the sith style is recognizable as the furious technique used by maul, sidious, Luke in ESB, evil luke in ROTJ, Evil Ani in ROTS) and obviously dooku wasnt ready for that.

Plus, Ani has more raw power than any Jedi or Sith. Obiwan beat him by defending for 20 minutes using soresu (perfect defense style) then exploiting the boy's overconfidence.

(PS Dooku made mincemeat of Obi's Soresu defense in episode 2! Does that mean Dooku really is better than Ani?)

pps

ataru = form 4 of saber combat, based on acrobatic movements, turns, somersaults, requires much use of the force while fighting
soresu = form 3 of saber combat, based on defense and deflecting blaster bolts with a saber. Used by Obiwan and darth vader (I may be wrong about the name)
form 2- gentleman's style. classical style used by dooku, best style hand-to-hand but useless against blaster bolts
sith style-  a style that emerges naturally when you free your passion and surrender to the dark side. fast,furious and almost unstoppable but damages the users sanity permanently.

if u want to know about the other styles, go google em! cheesy
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by moondust(m): 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2007
I luv star wars.
Phantom menace still carries the prize. It was totally wicked

texazzpete:
dakmanzero, for you to say the pod racer scenes were crappy in Ep1, you should know that that's the favorite part of the movies for many fans

I second texazzpete on this one. The POD race was my personal favourite part of the movie.
The high speed action and CG excellence was just off da shizzle!!!
My only problem with the whole movie is that the animated characters were given more promince than the human xters
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 10:08pm On Jun 15, 2007
Of course u liked the podracing. You're an artist afterall cheesy

The rest of us saw a scene that contributed nothing dramatically or story-wise, overstretched.

Ah well. It was cool, sha. And the tatooine level on episode 1 racer for N64 (very good game) was so faithful it was almost like deja vu when i watched it (saw game before movie)
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by crasniplet(f): 10:22pm On Jun 15, 2007
wats dis please
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 10:43pm On Jun 15, 2007
Whats what? the thread or podracing?
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by Vieira(m): 3:04am On Jun 17, 2007
One great oppourtunity was missed in the new trilogy of Star Wars:
When Anakin went and killed all the young trainees, we did not see that scene.
Can you imagine how poignant that scene would have been?
Little brave 10 year olds standing up to Anakin, bravely yet futilely pitting thier skills against Anakin!
They missed the boat with that.
About bad acting, do not blame the actors, blame Lucas.
Lucas is a crappy director. He can do great fight sequences and spectacle but when it comes down to directing actors and getting them to show emotion he is crap.
These films had loads of great actors and actresses yet they all stunk! But we all know how good Mcgregor, Portman, Jackson
are normally as we have seen them in other films. The only acor with any credit in this film was the Viceroy. He was good.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 8:16am On Jun 17, 2007
Dude.

The scene with the younglings was perfect.

If they had shown anything more than the saber ignition it would have simply become more revelry in destruction.

Lucas is NOT a crappy director. Complain all you want, but he has made a series of six movies that are more succesful than anything on that scale in movie history. Analyse his style all you want, but the camerons and peter jacksons of this world would not exist if not for him. They said as much themselves.

The reason SW's otherwise good actors appeared so wooden in SW was the nature of the production. Principal photography is usually finished more than 2 years before the movie itself is ready. Imagine the cartoon sequences of cool world, mary poppins etc and you'll realise that the actors in SW did a damn fine job.

Dude. If Nute gunray is your idea if a 'good' actor, or even a good IDEA at all, I am suspicious of all your claims here. Soon you'll say Jar Jar was the redeeming factor of TPM!
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by Azanor(m): 12:33pm On Jun 18, 2007
i'm a biug fan of every thing star wars, from books to movies to comics to games. concerning the movies, 1 and 2 were the worst of them all, three upwardsn was great. i've not seen most of the books, only legacy of the force 1 & 2 and one other one( darth something or the other), i've played all the jedi knight series and am looking forward ti to the new game.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 12:55pm On Jun 18, 2007
hmmm. I hear legacy of the force is a very grim and depressing tale,

What new game is that? force unleashed?
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by Vieira(m): 1:53am On Jun 19, 2007
Lucas has great ideas but whenever he does the direction himself, it is crap. Hence why in his own Star Wars, the ones he directed are the worst.

and this is who I meant by the viceroy : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001519/

he was excellant.

no matter how long ago principal photography was done should not stop a director from getting the best out of an actor.

Lucas strength is grand concepts but he needs someone else to bring home the bacon as a director.

Cameron and Jackson (who is overrated anyway) gave thanks to Lucas for his effort in bringing tech and spectacle to film not as a director of actors like Scorcese or Coppola.

Don't think I am hating on Lucas because I grew up with Star Wars as my best movies but I can objectively see his weakness as well.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by Nobody: 8:12am On Jun 19, 2007
my star wars stuff

games:
Jedi Knight II(Awesome game!!)
Phantom Menace( awful, didn't bother to finish it)
Shadows of the empire( not too shabby)
Knights of the old republic( it wouldn't install; pc village pricks and their cheap datalife cds angry!)

Books:
Jedi Academy trilogy( staxploitation)
han solo triliogy(cool)
episode 4,5, 6 (books)
shadows of the empire
black fleet crisis trilogy
courtship of princess leia
truce at bakura
heir to the empire, dark force rising
tales of the bounty hunters
tales from the mos eisley cantina

seen the movies

my best are episodes 2 and 5

i found 3 and 6 anticlimatic
too much unnessecary CGI in episode 3( in my opininon)

my fav characters are han solo, boba fett, chewbacca.
Re: Nairaland Star Wars Fans Unite! Roll Call! by dakmanzero(m): 8:39am On Jun 19, 2007
Hmmm. Vieira. Confusing palps with Nute Gunray. U sure u were awake while watching the movies grin

I agree, Ian is a great actor. I forgive him for ruining one of the potentially best battles of SW history due to old age! grin

George Lucas is NOT a crap director! Even if he is not in the league of the greats it does not make him CRAP! jesus christ. Tha!ts an absolute you are asserting, you aren't speaking relatively. There are crap directors in this world. The creator of star wars is not a CRAP director!!!!! He directed ANH,ROTJ and ROTS for Gord's sake! He also did TPM which was seriously bad, and AOTC which had problems, but even the greats churn out a turkey now and then!

Kai. My guy chill out! I know a lot of people hat GL for not living up to their childhood memories but thats what happens when u put people on a pedestal! Just like everyine callign the wachowski brothers CRAP because of revolutions! Jesus H christ! Those guys directed the greatest scifi movie of all time (the matrix) and 2 critically acclaimed hits (bound, v for vendetta) yet they are demonized because of one film!

@oyb

I noticed u dont have the last command in your list. I'm also looking for that book sad But I dont really feel like reading it because the new SW univverse doesnt gel as well as it used to with Zahn's work,

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Game Of Thrones Stars Before They Were Famous / Is The Flash Or Speedsters Really The Fastest Beings Alive? / The Lady Behind ''kin-kin-yiun'' In The Movie ''abejoye'' By Mount Zion Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.