Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,389 members, 7,861,083 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:30 PM

100 Biafran Fighters Vs 2 Battalions Of Chadian Mercenaries 1968 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 100 Biafran Fighters Vs 2 Battalions Of Chadian Mercenaries 1968 (3730 Views)

Biafran Fighters Threaten President Tinubu And Lagos State Governemnt / Another Battalions Of Nigerian Soldiers Touch Down Lagos Today - Photos / Chadian Soldiers Free Nigerian Soldiers In Boko Haram Captivity - Daily Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100 Biafran Fighters Vs 2 Battalions Of Chadian Mercenaries 1968 by Dedetwo(m): 12:48pm On Apr 09, 2020
eagleu:
Didn't know Chadians too were asked to help defeat Biafra . Today, Buhari walks around as if he won the war all by himself!

Nigeriens (from Niger Republic) were involved on the Nigerian side too.
Re: 100 Biafran Fighters Vs 2 Battalions Of Chadian Mercenaries 1968 by Dedetwo(m): 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2020
BoboNkiti19:
My grandfather fought under Major Williams in Obubra sector and definitely faced those Chadian soldiers (infamously nicknamed Gwodo Gwodo) cause of their unusually huge frames, extremely dark skins and heavy tribal marks... he confirmed they were some ruthless bastards who just sprayed anything and anywhere they faced with heavy machine gunfire without a care in the world... my grand-dad must have been 16 years old at the time, just fresh from "training" and green to the war front with barely 6 weeks of military training at Enugu, he was armed with just a submachine gun with few rounds of ammunition. Yet those boys dug in and fought like true warriors, decimated the mercenary soldiers and made sure none of them crossed the estuary alive into Cross river areas till they ran out of ammunition and retreated. Major Williams it must be noted was a South African white mercenary who genuinely had so much love and respect for the Biafran soldiers, he was the last of the very few mercenaries who actually stayed and fought with Biafra despite the acute lack of weaponry, supplies, and payment from the Biafran government. God bless our heroes!

He was not a South African. He was a Walsh though he had his military training in the Republic of South Africa.
Re: 100 Biafran Fighters Vs 2 Battalions Of Chadian Mercenaries 1968 by Dedetwo(m): 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2020
smileyoo:
yes ojukwu was a great man. but he was too stubborn to the point of fool-hardy.
even when he knew he's yet to have a standard and well co-ordinated army, he rejected the conditional support offered by many strong foreign countries, hoping Biafra 'll win the war single-handedly. who wins war alone in this modern times ? but Nigeria govt was soliciting for the support of any foreign nation that showed interest, even with heavy costs.
that war was actually a fight of un-equal partners, it's even a miracle Biafra was able to survive for 3 yrs.

Bros you maybe correct. It was all about hindsight. Ojukwu did not want to mortgage the destiny of Biafrans as Gowon did by nationalizing the crude oil companies in Nigeria. The war was lost and won on a bare chance and it was more on Oujkwu's side than Gowon's.
Re: 100 Biafran Fighters Vs 2 Battalions Of Chadian Mercenaries 1968 by BoboNkiti19: 7:18pm On Apr 09, 2020
Dedetwo:

He was not a South African. He was a Walsh though he had his military training in the Republic of South Africa.
Thanks for the correction Odogwu, just confirmed he was indeed Welsh.
Re: 100 Biafran Fighters Vs 2 Battalions Of Chadian Mercenaries 1968 by koffsman(m): 8:49pm On Apr 09, 2020
To my igbo brothers and sisters, R.I.P to the hero's that fought for Biafia but the point I don't get is this Op is this post just a history or is it meant to ignite something in people. Because believe me I don't wanna see the blood of any Nigerian don't care the tribe wasted for nothing again.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Has It Got To This With Tinubu Supporters ? (photo) / Peter Obi: Ortom Tackles Wike (pix) / David Hundeyin Humiliates Zimbabwe Minister Of Information

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.