Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,132 members, 7,811,198 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar (9495 Views)

Ahmad Amadi, Muslims Leader Denounces Islam, Converts To Christianity (Photos) / Who Is/are Your Favourite Muslim Scholar(s) Of All Time / Maryam Ahmad Gumi Dies! Sheikh Gumi Losses Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by AbuTwins: 7:35am On Apr 10, 2020
One day, , in the ancient city of Damascus a father was planning to go for a picnic with his family told everybody to get ready, but his son suddenly disappeared, so they had to go out without him. When they came back at the end of the day, they blamed him for not going out with them. He said, pointing to a book in his hand: “You did not benefit anything from your trip, whereas I memorized all this book in your absence.”

He was known for his physiognomy, sharp memory and wittedness which amazed the people of Damascus and made them admire him more and more. Though he was young, his fame reached the neighbouring territories. Once, one of the scholars of Halab visited Damascus. The scholars and dignitaries of the city went to welcome him. He told them: “I heard in other territories of a boy who is quick in memorizing everything. I came here to see him.”

They led the man to the small school where the boy used to go to memorize the Quran. The Halabi scholar sat for a while until the boy passed with a big board in his hand. The scholar called him, so he went to him.

The scholar took the board from him and said to him: “Sit here son, and I’ll relate to you some Prophetic narrations to write.” He dictated for him some, then he asked him to read them.

The boy started reading from the board. Then the Shaykh said to him: “Let me hear it from you.” The young boy then started recounting the narrations from his memory exactly like he was reading them from the board. The scholar told him: “Erase this, son.” He cited more of the Prophet’s narrations and asked him to repeat them. The boy did the same again; he read it from the board and then from his memory. The scholar stood up saying: “Should this boy live long, he will have a great position [become a great scholar]. We’ve never seen anyone like him before.”

This boy was later to be the tortured scholar, Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah may Allah have mercy upon him who acquired his knowledge from the best scholars of his time. He studied the Hanbali school and no one surpassed him in it. He also studied the main books of the Prophet’s narrations and tradition such as the authentic narrations reported by Al-Bukhari, Muslim and others.

Ibn Taymiyyah may Allah have mercy upon him was a devoted person who very much observed the acts of worship. He never let anything distract him from worshipping Allah. He used to spend his night alone, imploring his Lord, continuously reciting the Quran and performing prayers, mentioning and invoking Allah, and observing the optional late night prayer.

Ibn Taymiyyah may Allah have mercy upon him wrote a large number of books; he wrote more than three hundred books. He had a vast knowledge and wrote many classificatory books and literary works. He used to write up to four notebooks a day. One day, he managed to write the “Ar-Resaalah Al-Hamawiyyah” (The Hamawi Treatise) which is made up of seventy medium sized pages. He wrote it between the time of Thuhr and 'Asr prayers. He wrote all his books during the seven years he spent in prison, except the book of Al-Eemaan, (The Faith) which he wrote in Egypt.

Ibn Taymiyyah may Allah have mercy upon him was keen to do every kind of good deeds. Every week, he used to visit those who were ill especially those in the hospital. He was known for his asceticism and benevolence. He loved to give whatever he had whether it was little or much. Even when he had very little, he gave it in charity. He used to donate whatever he had. If he had nothing to give, he used to take off some of his clothes and give them to the poor.

Despite his poverty, he never accepted any donation from a king or prince. He didn’t save any money for himself; neither had he saved any furniture nor food.

Ibn Taymiyyah may Allah have mercy upon him was famous for his courage, valour, and brave initiatives. Whenever he went out for Jihad (struggling in the Cause of Allah) with the Muslims, he used to be in the front line, encouraging the warriors and arousing their determination and enthusiasm. He took part in conquest of 'Akkah and showed much bravery that proved his strong faith and love for participating in Jihad.

When Qazaan, a Tartar king, took a number of Muslims as captives, Ibn Taymiyyah, may Allah have mercy on him, went to him, rebuked him for this act and requested him to set the Muslim captives free and the king did.

Ibn Taymiyyah may Allah have mercy upon him had a difficult life full of continuous trials, calamities, and tests. No sooner did one calamity end than a new one emerged. As soon as he is released from one prison, he is again locked up in another.

Towards the end of his life, some people plotted against him because of his opinion about prohibiting people from visiting the graves of the Prophets, may Allah exalt their mention, and righteous people. So they spread a rumor among the people that he belittled the Prophets, may Allah exalt their mention. Accordingly, the judges of the four schools of Egypt ordered that he be imprisoned. So he was locked up in Damascus citadel.

In that citadel, Allah inspired him with the understanding of many meanings of the Quran and the basics of knowledge that many scholars would have wished to have.
During his captivity in the citadel, he used to say: “If I gave as much gold as that which would fill this citadel, I wouldn’t have been grateful enough for this grace of being imprisoned.”

When he was reminded of the people who had hurt and caused his imprisonment, he said: “I can never reward them for the good they brought to me.”

Ibn Taymiyyah may Allah have mercy upon him remained in jail in that citadel for about two years till he died in 728 A.H. At the time of his funeral prayer in the mosque, the soldiers surrounded the funeral to protect it from the overwhelming crowds. The number of people kept increasing till they filled up all the alleys, streets and markets. May Allah have mercy on this great scholar.
Aamin.

https://www.islamweb.net/en/article/136059/ahmad-ibn-taymiyyah-the-tortured-scholar

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by aleeyus(m): 9:58am On Apr 10, 2020
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by IsaacRocks(m): 9:58am On Apr 10, 2020
Add this too to Christians own. There's partiality on Nairaland please.
If it Christians now you will allow everybody to insult them.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Jubrilx3: 9:58am On Apr 10, 2020
RohimauLlah

2 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by FiftyFifty(m): 10:03am On Apr 10, 2020
Masha Allah. Jazakallahu bi khair. Jumu'at Mubarak.

2 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by barbstee(m): 10:09am On Apr 10, 2020
Maa shaa Allah
May Allaah have mercy on him
Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by verifiablefacts: 10:10am On Apr 10, 2020
IsaacRocks:
Muslims don't insult Christians like Christians do Muslims.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Patrioticman007(m): 10:20am On Apr 10, 2020
verifiablefacts:

Low self esteem makes them insult people, forgetting that if you point a finger at a person, the remaining four are pointing back at you.

9 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 10, 2020
Hmn your story swedt die more grease to your elbow we need more of this please
Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by IsaacRocks(m): 10:22am On Apr 10, 2020
verifiablefacts:

and I have not seen any insult here. Abeg pack well ooo na me and Nairaland get issue . I don't care let them block me . But the truth be told let this declaration be added to Christians post too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by ForeThinker: 10:25am On Apr 10, 2020
Issokay

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Emmanuelhector(m): 10:25am On Apr 10, 2020
verifiablefacts:

so they should wait till Muslims insult us more before they do the needful? .. They brought the northern ojoro treatment to this forum

3 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by ForeThinker: 10:27am On Apr 10, 2020
IsaacRocks:

No Doubts ... I concur

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Zeinymira(f): 10:33am On Apr 10, 2020
IsaacRocks:
and I have not seen any insult here. Abeg pack well ooo na me and Nairaland get issue . I don't care let them block me . But the truth be told let this declaration be added to Christians post too
Then create a thread for that. I'm sure Seun will listen to you guys.

2 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by premier79(m): 10:34am On Apr 10, 2020
The sheik contributed immensely to the spread of Al Islam. May Almighty forgives him his shortcomings and makes our feet firm on the deen of Al Islam

5 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Edzy: 10:42am On Apr 10, 2020
Ibn Taymiyya, one of the greatest scholars of Islam.
I ve listened to scholars explain of his books in our local language, such as Al ubudiyya and qaidatul dalila. My life has changed especially after listening to this books. In short He focus is always on the oneness of Allah citing quranic verses and the authentic saying a of the holy prophet(SAW).

5 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Ralo(m): 10:44am On Apr 10, 2020
Suffer nor dey tyre this Mr Amhad ibn Timaya?

1 Like

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by SweetyZinta(f): 10:50am On Apr 10, 2020
Jazakumullah khairan, May Allah increase us all in knowledge. May God grant the departed believer Aljannatil Firdaus and grant us a beautiful end.

Keep the knowledge coming!

3 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Tranquility4u: 10:51am On Apr 10, 2020
Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah, one of the greatest scholars of Islam. May Allah have mercy on his soul. Aameen.

1 Like

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by mu2sa2: 10:52am On Apr 10, 2020
I believe scholars like ibn Taimiyya were specially gifted human beings chosen by the Almighty. If you read the full life story of ibn Taimiyya you will be amazed how a single human being could have produced scholarly works of such magnitude and excellence in a lifetime. This enigma is said to have written a certain book while in prison, quoting other books he had read copiously - all this from memory without access to the books. Ibn Taimiyya's life and death were extraordinary. He was imprisoned on many occasions for his resolute stance against shirk and injustice. He died in prison, but his funeral was an epochal event. It's reported that janaiza salat was done 9 times on account of the number of people who kept coming from different regions for his funeral. He died on 26 September 1328, and an estimated 50,000 people attended his janaiza.
El-Gazzali was another enigma. They're many others, of course.
I am thinking these scholars are not ordinary human beings given their almost super human attainment in scholarship.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Sagelegend: 11:21am On Apr 10, 2020
Sheikh il islam....The sheikh of sheikhs...

2 Likes

Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Lizzy247: 11:32am On Apr 10, 2020
Allah Akbar
Re: Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar by Canme4u(m): 11:32am On Apr 10, 2020
Yah Salam Yah Salam

(1) (2) (Reply)

Examining Muslims and Miracles / Golden Principles Of Raising Children / Issue Of Dressings Below The Ankles (for Men)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.