Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,546 members, 7,823,396 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs (11459 Views)

List Of Those APC Blame For Nigeria's Lack of Progress Under Buhari / Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? / How Much Does Nigeria Make Daily From Petroleum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 7:07am On Jan 04, 2011
Everyone wants a white collar job- in government or in the private sector. Cool. Most jobs in the west are created by the private sector. Why is this not so in Nigeria? Wht is everyone sitting and hoping to bite from the same apple rather than planting their own and sharing it amongst the lot?

This is sad. Why is the private sector comatose?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 7:20am On Jan 04, 2011
@op,
Nigeria has creative entrepreneurs. Don't use Nairaland as your yardstick. Most of the contributors here are students.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by ekubear1: 7:21am On Jan 04, 2011
Bah. What type of profitable business can I do with no electricity or roads, or even high-speed internet access? It is like cutting off a man's feet and right arm and wondering why he isn't a good sprinter. . .

The businesses that I've seen that are profitable in Nigeria and are possible to do at relatively small scales are construction and importing.

EDIT
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 7:28am On Jan 04, 2011
Dog pursuing Hyena (Ajanlekoko)

What has NairaLand got to do with my question of why there are not much creative entrepreneurs in Nigeria?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by kcjazz(m): 9:01am On Jan 04, 2011
There is a problem of a lack of infrastructures and changing government policies which I consider a constraint rather than a problem. We have not had constant power in this country for the past 20 years. I expect business owners to create business models that would be wrapped around this infrastructural constraint. For example, you do not have to situate your business warehouse in Lagos if Kwara State has a better electricity production.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by KnowAll(m): 10:47am On Jan 04, 2011
http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D957878&sa=U&ei=GOoiTfjzKcGEhQfumYi6Dg&ved=0CBgQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNHGl6kETRNL4YmGeeShOVu2DNl-pg

Look at the number malls in Kenya, the retail bisiness in any emrging economy is one of the largest employers of labour. In the UK over 600,000 are employed by this sector. The whole of Lagos has tops 3 malls, that is a shame for a city of 20 million people. Most of state Capitals don't even have a mall, that should show the level of development Nigeria is at the moment. For instance there is no reason why Tinapa in Calabar should be a failure, Tinapa should be able to tap into the 1 million people living in Calabar to sustain itself. But be because we pay slave wages 75% of Nigerians cannot even buy an apple in a shoping mall yet we are one the Richest Country in Africa.

What is the point been the richest nation in Africa when our citizens cannot buy a single apple in a shopping mall.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Afam4eva(m): 11:05am On Jan 04, 2011
eku_bear:

Bah. What type of profitable business can I do with no electricity or roads, or even high-speed internet access? It is like cutting off a man's feet and right arm and wondering why he isn't a good sprinter. . .

The businesses that I've seen that are profitable in Nigeria and are possible to do at relatively small scales are construction and importing.

EDIT

You're really spot on.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by blacksta(m): 11:15am On Jan 04, 2011
The business terrain in Nigeria is just to hash and does not encourage entrepreneurship. I have tried doing business in Nigeria but failed because social entics of the people and system were all against me. it is was like swimming uphill practically impossible.

In the U.k i can register a business online and within 2hours that business is incorporated and following day open a business account but come to Nigeria you will jump through hell to register a business name.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by ADint(m): 12:53pm On Jan 04, 2011
Infrastructure, electricity etc etc, are part of it, but not enough to explain this away. Nigerians living in the western world where this issues are non-existent are not very creative entrepreneurs either!

An example - in the UK the biggest wholesalers/suppliers of Nigerian foodstuff are the Asians! They even brand it with their own names! Nigerian Beans, Pounded Yam flour, Gari etc branded under Asian owned company names! How do you explain that!
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by DisGuy: 1:02pm On Jan 04, 2011
This business environment is not conducive for for business

what should be a simple process becomes rocket science, if registering a business alone take upto 64days in some case, imagine how long it will take get electricity to a new build or internet connection to a new area
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 1:02pm On Jan 04, 2011
Does the retail business failure or non existence in Nigeria depends on the capacity of people to buy? or is it due to the fact that the existing ones have so much overhead that makes the cost of items at such malls much more exhorbitant than the genral open stall markets that abounds in those cities? Example, items you will buy in places like Exclusive Stores, Amigos, Grand Square, Abuja Mall, and many more, are marginally more expensive than buying these same items at the open market like Wuse, Garki etc. Many will flood to the open markets but the rich will go to the malls and supermarkets - so. Does this not kill the enthusiasm of retailers and would be retail businesses?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 1:07pm On Jan 04, 2011
Dis Guy:

This business environment is not conducive for for business

what should be a simple process becomes rocket science, if registering a business alone take upto 64days in some case, imagine how long it will take get electricity to a new build or internet connection to a new area

Honestly, speaking, it is not hard registering a business name in Nigeria, neither is it hard getting telephone or internet these days- they are all pay as you go, they are things you can get within two hours if you have your money. It should not be a factor. Maybe electricity, but still people make do with stand by power systems, such as generators, Inverters, solar panels etc- so, these are all overheads factor able and recoverable in your business as time goes on.

But do we all need the above to come up with ideas? Think about the Google guys, the Facebook guys, the PAYPAL guys, the EBAY guys, Mozilla guys, the Microsoft, the Oracle and so many young guys who used their brains to come up with things that are shaking the world.

I think the limit we have is the limit we put on ourselves as human beings.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by DisGuy: 1:10pm On Jan 04, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

What has NairaLand got to do with my question of why there are not much creative entrepreneurs in Nigeria?

hey you learn a new thing everyday!! now i can pronounce the name in my head, never knew it was even a yoruba word

Ma_J_Blige:

Does the retail business failure or non existence in Nigeria depends on the capacity of people to buy? or is it due to the fact that the existing ones have so much overhead that makes the cost of items at such malls much more exhorbitant than the genral open stall markets that abounds in those cities? Example, items you will buy in places like Exclusive Stores, Amigos, Grand Square, Abuja Mall, and many more, are marginally more expensive than buying these same items at the open market like Wuse, Garki etc. Many will flood to the open markets but the rich will go to the malls and supermarkets - so. Does this not kill the enthusiasm of retailers and would be retail businesses?

I think this is down to purchasing power/disposable income or what do these economist call it, and the size of the middle class in a population
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Justcash(m): 1:11pm On Jan 04, 2011
If you know how contradictory "Nigeria" and "CREATIVE entrepreneurship" sounds in business, you'll laugh at your topic.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 1:14pm On Jan 04, 2011
Justcash:

If you know how contradicting "Nigeria" and "CREATIVE entrepreneurship" sounds in business, you'll laugh at your topic.

and what exactly have you said? I laugh at your comment instead.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by DisGuy: 1:14pm On Jan 04, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Honestly, speaking, it is not hard registering a business name in Nigeria, neither is it hard getting telephone or internet these days- they are all pay as you go, they are things you can get within two hours if you have your money. It should not be a factor. Maybe electricity, but still people make do with stand by power systems, such as generators, Inverters, solar panels etc- so, these are all overheads factor able and recoverable in your business as time goes on.

But do we all need the above to come up with ideas? Think about the Google guys, the Facebook guys, the PAYPAL guys, the EBAY guys, Mozilla guys, the Microsoft, the Oracle and so many young guys who used their brains to come up with things that are shaking the world.

come on google, facebook type business in a country where people didn't grow up with PCs laptop, where only just recently computer science course involve actually contact with a computer system

even nowadays you get parents scolding their kids listening to music on their pc whilst doing their assignment- that's not what i bought it for o!!  cheesy

even right now people will rather go to the shop than buy from the internet in nigeria
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 04, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

you are extremely naive if you believe power problems are so easily surmounted

businesses can spend as much as 100,000/month on diesel, and that does not include maintenance, spare parts, engine oil, etc. electricity has killed so many businesses

keep calling google and co - phcn can wipe four weeks of coding with one power surge, and that happens all the time
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by DisGuy: 1:33pm On Jan 04, 2011
http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploretopics/dealing-with-licenses/nigeria

in lagos for example it take a year to get some permits! though with money you can speed things up
but that money will probably get you a decent accountant and Database professional for a year or more
and if you are a SME that's eating into part of your capital

I remember watching one episode dragon's den, when one guy was asked why he is including 'special fund' in his business plan- his reply was something along the lines of speeding things up as it's normal
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 1:38pm On Jan 04, 2011
OYB.

I dont do name calling on Nairaland- but i think you are stoopid and deranged if you are turning this discuss into name calling. It shows the shallowness of your mind and your deranged state of mind. Let the intelects talk, not the goats.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 04, 2011
[b]
what has creativity got to do with a country that doesnt provide credit facilities when interest rate hinges within 22% to 25%
a country where theres non supporting facilities to entrepreneurs such as security, good roads, electricity, water, etc.
how many capital ventures do we have within this country? and are the government intervention gej screech about even for real (my dad and i went to UBA to make inquiry about the current manufacturing loan for our newly built feed mills which isnt functional yet because of low cash, we were told we must have 300million worth of asset before we get the loan. who needs a loan when you have 300mil), Now, tell me what creativity has got to do about that.
what has creative got to do in a harsh economy where the president open its country border so international competition can quash local ones.
what is creative about the fact that 70% of goods and services minus finance/artisanship falls into the hands of foreign conglomerates: shell, julius berger, delioitte, etc

Even ths question lacks creativity. Because provide a well experienced and educated nigerian with these, and you will be creating many more dangotes, bill gates and mike adenuga. the only thing lacking in creativity is the Nigerian government and its inability to sincerely create an environment that would magnetize and boost entrepreneurship creativity.[/b]
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 2:16pm On Jan 04, 2011
^^^
Someone doesnt seem to know the meaning of creative. LOL Being creative is about using your brain. Who waits for good roads before they can be creative and productive?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by blacksta(m): 2:19pm On Jan 04, 2011
aasog1:

[b]
what has creativity got to do with a country that doesnt provide credit facilities when interest rate hinges within 22% to 25%
a country where theres non supporting facilities to entrepreneurs such as security, good roads, electricity, water, etc.
how many capital ventures do we have within this country? and are the government intervention gej screech about even for real (my dad and i went to UBA to make inquiry about the current manufacturing loan for our newly built feed mills which isnt functional yet because of low cash, we were told we must have 300million worth of asset before we get the loan. who needs a loan when you have 300mil), Now, tell me what creativity has got to do about that.
what has creative got to do in a harsh economy where the president open its country border so international competition can quash local ones.
what is creative about the fact that 70% of goods and services minus finance/artisanship falls into the hands of foreign conglomerates: shell, julius berger, delioitte, etc

Even ths question lacks creativity. Because provide a well experienced and educated nigerian with these, and you will be creating many more dangotes, bill gates and mike adenuga. the only thing lacking in creativity is the Nigerian government and its inability to sincerely create an environment that would magnetize and boost entrepreneurship creativity.[/b]

If you know how contradictory "Nigeria" and "CREATIVE entrepreneurship" sounds in business, you'll laugh at your topic.

Your reply answers the above posted comment which the OP cant understand.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 2:24pm On Jan 04, 2011
3 Facts about becoming a creative enterpreneur.

Creativity – generating new ideas, evaluating them effectively, taking action to turn them into new products and services.

Collaboration – connecting and working with partners, clients, and other significant players in your network, which will probably be scattered across the globe and contain more ‘virtual’ relationships than face-to-face ones.

Entrepreneurship – identifying opportunities in the marketplace and using business skills to turn ideas into products into profits.

You will wait for good roads before using your head to generate new ideas? No wonder.

You will wait for internet before using your head to generate good ideas?

I am lost here.

For those who genuinely know what I am talking about- not those who read politics of GEJ into every thing, please read here or do a google search on becoming a creative entrepreneur for ideas.

http://4entrepreneur.net/2010/09/01/how-to-become-a-successful-creative-entrerpeneur/
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 04, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@op,
Nigeria has creative entrepreneurs. Don't use Nairaland as your yardstick. Most of the contributors here are students.
Ma_J_Blige:

Well it has everything to do if you Blige get most of your info about Nigeria from the posturing and forming on Nairaland. So no don't take the chatter on here too seriously.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 2:41pm On Jan 04, 2011
Tensor.

Only a mad man will take most comments on NairaLand seriously. I live in Nigeria, so I dont get most of my information from mis gruntled and half baked analysts on Nairaland.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 04, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Creativity – generating new ideas, evaluating them effectively, taking action to turn them into new products and services.

Collaboration – connecting and working with partners, clients, and other significant players in your network, which will probably be scattered across the globe and contain more ‘virtual’ relationships than face-to-face ones.

Entrepreneurship – identifying opportunities in the marketplace and using business skills to turn ideas into products into profits.

You will wait for good roads before using your head to generate new ideas? No wonder.

I am lost here.

For those who genuinely know what I am talking about- not those who read politics of GEJ into every thing, please read here or do a google search on becoming a creative entrepreneur for ideas.

http://4entrepreneur.net/2010/09/01/how-to-become-a-successful-creative-entrerpeneur/

Your sounding petulant when you could simply learn and accept your wrong.
1. 99% of the articles google metacrawler dumps on your laptop are written by american business experts. these are written in american contexts alone.
please understand the meaning of that word: context: i.e: applicable within a particular region alone and if tried somewhere else, would possibly backfire.

2. Kindly note that if Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffet are Nigerians, they wouldnt succeed because your country doesnt value idea. Nigeria is a country thats 50 years behind a third world country like india, so what on earth are you yowling about.

3. And please, can you share some of those creative ideas with us. I could use some and know you arent just posting coz your boss isnt in the office.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 2:45pm On Jan 04, 2011
@OP,
Ikoko is wolf , not hyena. undecided
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by MaJBlige(f): 2:45pm On Jan 04, 2011
aasog1

You sound like a child.

Ajanlekoko

Are you sure? I thought it was Hyena sha.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 2:49pm On Jan 04, 2011
^^
Ikoko is wolf in Yoruba.

Also, I think there are enough creative entrepreneurs in Nigeria. The problem is, government is not doing squat, and the population is 150 mil. So their efforts are like a drop in a bucket.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by KnowAll(m): 2:55pm On Jan 04, 2011
The fact is we use to have Kingway Retail Stores in our cities, Bata footwear in our cities, Leventis Stores in our cities, obviously when our currency crashed by almost 2,500% income stood at the same level for so many years.

In Nigeria income stood at 1984 levels for a long time so by 1994 the damage was already done, income only started going up recently by between 3 to 4 % yearly since 1994 thereby impoverishing our people.

I can remember my mum who was an astute saver had over N100,000 naira in 1984 in her account, which was about $70,000.00 dollars then, by 1994 it was worth just about $2,000.

If our income has gone up as our currency was crashing our so called legislators who today are getting an income equals to100 million times that of the lowest paid public sector worker would not have been paid that kind of money because the money they are getting now would have been evenly distributed within and amongst the rank and file of the civil service.

For instance in the UK, the new Conservative government announced to the civil servants that the highest paid civil servant must not get more than 20 times the lowest paid civil servant, and if anyone is getting that income that person should apply for compulsory redundancy.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by homerac7: 3:18pm On Jan 04, 2011
@ Ma_J_Blige,

I think aasog1 has given some practical reasons, u probably don't do private business in Nigeria to appreciate d local challenges he highlighted. He said it exactly d way it is here. D entrepreneurship101 lessons u referred to don't so work in ds terrain. In fact, d guy said it all and I fully agree based on experiences.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

I am lost here.
You are 100% right there . Creativity has little or nothing to do with mundane issues like good roads and fast broadband connectivity  . These are mere excuses.
However there are a few sociocultural reasons that militate against the fostering of a truly sustainable enterpreneurial  culture in Nigeria.
That is not to say that there are not quite a few home-grown enterpreners in Nigeria but of course I agree with you there should be much more of them given Nigeria's size and strategic position within Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Two Policemen Killed By Thieves In Onitsha / Procter & Gamble To Build $250M Plant In Ogun State / The World-class Roads In Onitsha: Anambra. A Human Tragedy. Pictures..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.