Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,894 members, 7,824,745 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit (17781 Views)

My Journey Into Livestock Farming (Noiler 1st) / How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria / Cost And Returns Of Broiler Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 7:17pm On Jan 07, 2022
Legalcriminal:

When is the best time to start the banana plantation this year and what verity would you advise to go for

May - July.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by steveyen(m): 8:47am On Jan 11, 2022
We are looking for the OP to continue the good work on this thread.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by RancherGranger: 6:12am On Aug 13, 2022
Good morning Bosses, your wealth of practical knowledge is just unparalleled and the remarkable reply by EMEM PAUL amongst others . Thank you. I am about to start a similar size plantain farming journey just as JOY OF THE EARTH did, in Ijubu as well. and i need all the valuable support on the journey. Although I did a catch-up on every question and answer posted, but I will need the answers to the forgotten questions such as “what variety is requested by the company” , what was your yield in the first year of harvest, apart from wind nd delayed workers is there any other issue you faced

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Babakolanut(m): 5:12pm On Mar 21, 2023
Good moves sir,pls what is the progress situation of the plantation now? Pls update me the farm location,my whatsapp is +2349034612092 or unclemoringa@gmail.com
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by ijeezlux(m): 6:59pm On Apr 16, 2023
Nice thread..........large farming in Nigeria is really really capital intensive....... I have about 25 acres that am planting plantain on since last yr. It has not been easy.....money flying out of my pocket like there is a hole in my pocket.
Some of problem faced are:
No proper rainfall
Stunted growth
Weeding
Unserious and lazy yearly workers
Bush fire
Fulani issue
And also issue of the owner not being ground regularly. Cos the worker will take advantage of your absence.

Below is a picture of my generator burnt by bush fire

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by ozispesal: 8:10pm On Jul 30, 2023
INVITATION TO
IMPROVED RARE SEEDLINGS NIG.
Looking for means to add new varieties of economical trees to your farm, plantation or home, join our group:

https:///JKFruJD1a9hK5uf2XM0zbE

For your hybrid seedlings: wambugu apples, peaches, plums, tangerine, Hass avocado, sweetsop, guava, coconut, mulberry, strawberry, raspberry, passion fruit, dragon fruit, different types of different types of spices and all kind of seedlings
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by ozispesal: 8:13pm On Jul 30, 2023
INVITATION TO
IMPROVED RARE SEEDLINGS NIG.
Looking for means to add new varieties of economical trees to your farm, plantation or home, join our group:

For your hybrid seedlings: wambugu apples, peaches, plums, tangerine, Hass avocado, sweetsop, guava, coconut, mulberry, strawberry, raspberry, passion fruit, dragon fruit, different types of different types of spices and all kind of seedlings
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by spinna: 1:09am On Aug 01, 2023
ijeezlux:
Nice thread..........large farming in Nigeria is really really capital intensive....... I have about 25 acres that am planting plantain on since last yr. It has not been easy.....money flying out of my pocket like there is a hole in my pocket.
Some of problem faced are:
No proper rainfall
Stunted growth
Weeding
Unserious and lazy yearly workers
Bush fire
Fulani issue
And also issue of the owner not being ground regularly. Cos the worker will take advantage of your absence.

Below is a picture of my generator burnt by bush fire

Chai how manage with the gen?. I've realised something about the workers of farm.. most if them they are not really wishing your success .they would want to frustrate you..

I think one needs to be on ground or have trusted persons on ground.

Also i feel some tools like slasher and power sprayer post hole digger can help so you use them instead of labor that won't do it well..eg post holes when i was doing my cow farm fence .they didn't dig holes deeply so the posts started falling down..would have been avoided if i had the auger machine

I am about to start plantain too..
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by PrimeKind(m): 1:50am On Nov 23, 2023
@joyoftheearth and all the other Bosses available here.

I planted 800 suckers of Plantain near Calabar and was having some excitement.
After reading through this very educative and informative thread I am both humbled (to hear that someone planted 80 acres (80,000 sucker) and has expanded x3. That's he should be having about 240,000 suckers planted already) and inspired to do the same.

My plantains are stunted in there growth which in finding solution I stumbled into this thread. I am grateful to God because I have noted down all the actions to be taken.

Please Sir (s) I will be back with questions and pictures as I make progress so far.

Please, on application of fertilizer, will 6 inches away from the plantains stem surfice?.

Thank you so so much Sir.

I am grateful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Engages 17,000 Youths In Rabbit Farming / Nigeria Will Start Exporting Yams To Europe In June 2017 – Agric Minister, Ogbeh / Obiano Flags-off Farming Season For Delfarm Anambra Songhai Project - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.