Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,152 members, 7,811,296 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit (17608 Views)

My Journey Into Livestock Farming (Noiler 1st) / How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria / Cost And Returns Of Broiler Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 12:27am On Apr 12, 2020
Hello everyone,
I have been one of those people that lurk around Nairaland Agric section enjoying wealth of information from other farmers and hoping to start mine one day. I have taken a plunge and I will be discussing my journey on this thread as much as I can. To start with, the cost of acquiring land, we were able to acquire about 40 acres in Ogun and have since began operation. We started with clearing which was surprisingly very expensive and came with its own challenges. Out of the 40 acres, we have only been able to clear 20 acres and we have planted the 8 acres before the whole coronavirus lockdown began. We are having issue getting workers now because many of them have gone back to their hometown and wont return anytime soon. We are now pivoting to tractor and we are in talk with https://tog.ng/ to see how we can work with them to get things now. I will follow up with some of the cost some of things.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 12, 2020
God bless your hustle.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Ukwa1: 3:08am On Apr 12, 2020
[s]
CoronaVirusRelo:
God bless your hustle.
[/s]
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 6:19am On Apr 15, 2020
We discussed with TOG and they told us that unfortunately, they wont be able to get us the needed bulldozer due to the Covid-19 virus lockdown. For the moment, we will complete the currently cleared acre and hopefully resume planting May/June.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 9:10pm On May 03, 2020
The lockdown will be lifted tomorrow so I am hoping the manager(close relative) that is overseeing the plantain will be able to go onsite to check progress and hire a new temporary staff to help. I will keep everyone posted soon.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 1:53am On May 09, 2020
joyoftheearth:
Hello everyone,
I have been one of those people that lurk around Nairaland Agric section enjoying wealth of information from other farmers and hoping to start mine one day. I have taken a plunge and I will be discussing my journey on this thread as much as I can. To start with, the cost of acquiring land, we were able to acquire about 40 acres in Ogun and have since began operation. We started with clearing which was surprisingly very expensive and came with its own challenges. Out of the 40 acres, we have only been able to clear 20 acres and we have planted the 8 acres before the whole coronavirus lockdown began. We are having issue getting workers now because many of them have gone back to their hometown and wont return anytime soon. We are now pivoting to tractor and we are in talk with https://tog.ng/ to see how we can work with them to get things now. I will follow up with some of the cost some of things.

We have completed 16 more acres. The next step is plant few more acres and interplant with Maize but the issue seems to be workers and getting suckers at this point.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Hasib04(m): 7:47am On May 09, 2020
joyoftheearth:

We have completed 16 more acres. The next step is plant few more acres and interplant with Maize but the issue seems to be workers and getting suckers at this point.

I can get you suckers sir.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joshi24(m): 8:13am On May 09, 2020
joyoftheearth:

The land was it bought or on lease if bought how much does it cost
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joshi24(m): 8:16am On May 09, 2020
joyoftheearth:

Planting both maize and plantain together is it healthy for the plantain to grow fine
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 7:26pm On May 10, 2020
Hasib04:

I can get you suckers sir.

How much is your suckers per dozen and where are you located?
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 7:27pm On May 10, 2020
joshi24:
The land was it bought or on lease if bought how much does it cost

It was bought at 100k/acre.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 7:28pm On May 10, 2020
joshi24:
Planting both maize and plantain together is it healthy for the plantain to grow fine
My understanding and research points that they should be fine but plantain harvest will be delayed by a month or two when interplanting plantain and maize.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joshi24(m): 8:26pm On May 10, 2020
joyoftheearth:

It was bought at 100k/acre.
I need same
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Hasib04(m): 6:03pm On May 11, 2020
joyoftheearth:

I sell healthy sucker one per #100, but I can reduce the price it depends on how many sucker you want.

ABK is my location.

Should I drop my digit or we should negotiate through email?
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 10:49am On May 14, 2020
I do not sell land directly but I can recommended reputable farming veteran here on Nairaland that can help you secure one. You will still need to do your own background work.
joshi24:
I need same
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 10:51am On May 14, 2020
I was able to secure my current suckers at way less than that. I understand if cost of transportation is included. Am in Ogun
Hasib04:

I sell healthy sucker one per #100, but I can reduce the price it depends on how many sucker you want.

ABK is my location.

Should I drop my digit or we should negotiate through email?
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joshi24(m): 12:06pm On May 14, 2020
joyoftheearth:
I do not sell land directly but I can recommended reputable farming veteran here on Nairaland that can help you secure one. You will still need to do your own background work.
I will really appreciate that
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Leogreat5: 1:12pm On May 14, 2020
joyoftheearth:

...........I need suckers,I reside in Delta State (ubulu uku). please drop ur number. I want to buy
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 6:18pm On May 14, 2020
I will recommend legsupnigeria but please do your homework. I dont want to hear stories please.
joshi24:
I will really appreciate that
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 10:42pm On May 26, 2020
Weed is everyone already angry. We are preparing to clear and interplant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 11:45am On May 31, 2020
In as much as this is laudable, I will like you to narrow your expectations down a little because of the usual wind catastrophe. That disaster can send a farm owner to the hospital bed in a split second. I like the fact that you have mapped out plan on how to curtail that by leaving those palm trees, they will take some of the hit when an heavy wind blows.
The good thing is you'll be smiling to the bank weekly if your harvest comes in between March till August. Depending on how big the bunches are, a dozen can go as high as 16k in the local market , now imagine how much you'll get at Mile 12 in Lagos .
Wish you a favorable plantain season.

Regards
An experienced farmer.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 9:14pm On Jun 03, 2020
Thanks for the input. Yes, we left those trees in place to hold off heavy wind. I know we will still take a hit but this should reduce the impact.

OJURONGBE1:
In as much as this is laudable, I will like you to narrow your expectations down a little because of the usual wind catastrophe. That disaster can send a farm owner to the hospital bed in a split second. I like the fact that you have mapped out plan on how to curtail that by leaving those palm trees, they will take some of the hit when an heavy wind blows.
The good thing is you'll be smiling to the bank weekly if your harvest comes in between March till August. Depending on how big the bunches are, a dozen can go as high as 16k in the local market , now imagine how much you'll get at Mile 12 in Lagos .
Wish you a favorable plantain season.

Regards
An experienced farmer.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Richhard(m): 9:38pm On Jun 03, 2020
Great, I been looking for something like this, please post pictures! You're doing well.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by orlabass(m): 9:19am On Jun 04, 2020
you are doing a great job,have you able to get suckers..i have a good breed of suckers am in ibadan at cocoa research institute you can visit to confim or check my page here ,also why are you not considering to intercrop cocoa with your plantains on some acres...
joyoftheearth:
Hello everyone,
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by orlabass(m): 9:20am On Jun 04, 2020
if you need to call ,you can reach me on 08131034663
orlabass:
you are doing a great job,have you able to get suckers..i have a good breed of suckers am in ibadan at cocoa research institute you can visit to confim or check my page here ,also why are you not considering to intercrop cocoa with your plantains on some acres...
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 2:22am On Jun 05, 2020
I am not considering intercrop with cocoa at the moment maybe sometimes in the future.
orlabass:
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 1:26am On Jun 22, 2020
We are still planting our remaining acres but rain has started smiley
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 8:32pm On Jul 23, 2020
Although we started with 40 acres but decided to expand to 80 acres, we should be finishing up with planting later this month or early next month.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Adasun(m): 9:03pm On Jul 23, 2020
Mehn,dis farming is consuming money like madt.9ice one op

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Governor Obiano Flags Off 2021 Wet Season Farming(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.