Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. (3329 Views)

Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones / 9 Mobile Free Youtube 1am To 5am Is A Fraud. My Experience / MTN Modifies 1.5GB Data Plan, Limits Bonus To Night Only (1am - 7am) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by samir101ng(m): 1:24am On Apr 13, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I had been having this nagging suspicion over the past couple of days. Since the lockdown started, like all users I have resorted to relying a lot more on my internet. I use Spectranet 25GB N10,235 Plan. Now, Spectranet has always been generous and offers regular promos in which they grant you double data bonus when you renew your subscription before the end of the current one. However, recently, the last 2 renewals that I have done. They didn't grant me the double bonus data even though I had renewed before the end of the current sub. This happened twice. No bonus data. It didnt disturb me much as I use it mainly for the free data period included with the plan which is between 1am to 7am where every download is free and doesn't count towards your overall downloads. For the past 3 days now, it seems Spectranet has been slowing our data speeds from the average 28-30mbps in my area to less than 1mbps. As in, the thing barely crawls. I thought it was a network issue the first day, then the second day. The third day, I was annoyed and decided to get to the root of the matter. Everything seemed to be okay with full network bars on full 4G LTE so I knew it wasn't a network issue. The speeds also reverted back to normal during the day when your data count starts but seemed to slow down exactly by 1am. I did a speedtest yesterday by 12am and after 7am and my suspicions where confirmed. It seems everything will be going at full speed until 1am. The time for the free data period. They then slow it down to 1mbps till 7am when they know the data period has finished and then restore the speeds back to normal. Has anybody experience this?! Just checking to see if anybody is experiencing this because Spectranet should have contacted and informed it's customers about this policy before implementing. Appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by samir101ng(m): 1:28am On Apr 13, 2020
See Speedtests showing before and after speed throttle.

Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by holysaint1(m): 1:49am On Apr 13, 2020
Perhaps, this is in their T&C. But as usual, we don't normally read long write ups. cry
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by samir101ng(m): 3:24am On Apr 13, 2020
holysaint1:
Perhaps, this is in their T&C. But as usual, we don't normally read long write ups. cry

No, it isn't.

This is not a Fair Usage Policy throttle.

If not, it will affect the entire bundle. Why limit it to the free data window where you you agreed to make things unlimited ? Maybe the network is getting saturated and they are doing this to control the bandwidth. But this is at 1am, the time when most networks are idle till 7am when user activity picks up. So, why throttle the users without informing them ? Just trying to get feedback from other Spectranet users if this a more widespread issue or just user related.

1 Like

Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by scoundrel(f): 6:08am On Apr 13, 2020
samir101ng:

No, it isn't.

If not, it will affect the entire bundle. Why limit it to the free data window where you you agreed to make things unlimited ? Maybe the network is getting saturated and they are doing this to control the bandwidth. But this is at 1am, the time when most networks are idle till 7am when user activity picks up. So, why throttle the users without informing them ? Just trying to get feedback from other Spectranet users if this a more widespread issue or just user related.
With Covid-19 keeping everyone indoors a lot of people stay awake to use free data since they have no appointments the next day. It is their fair usage policy at work. What happens to me is after about six nights of watching 4K quality videos on YouTube my bundle gets throttled till my next subscription renewal. The company knows I use a lot more than my 60GB per month cap in two free nights so throttling is their little way of punishing me for misdeeds.
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by awoo47: 6:31am On Apr 13, 2020
samir101ng:

No, it isn't.

baba it's fair usage policy, after u use 100g ur speed is reduced to 1mbps or so...

Nd always wait fr sms notifying u of double data bonus b4 u sub, I've left d tin since 2months nd i still get msgs sometimes telling me i hv double data...

u can wait till wen u exhaust d sub
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by ORIJIN201(m): 8:14am On Apr 13, 2020
samir101ng:
See Speedtests showing before and after speed throttle.
Your ping is even good for online gaming. There is so many pressure on ISPs now. Rate of data transfer is quite slow now, compared to before lock down. The early hours of today which is also my free internet period, swiftng was just rubbish. I got annoyed and went to sleep. This morning I was able to download 3gb in 15mins before my free internet elapsed at 8am this morning.
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by prof2007: 9:23am On Apr 13, 2020
Dear samir101ng,

Internet slows down with more users. Research has shown that for all types of Internet Service Providers (except fiber-optic cable), network congestion always causes a drop in speed.

Due to the coronavirus lockdown, many people are taking advantage of the free data period, leading to the observed drop in speed.
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by ThaProphet(m): 1:48am On May 07, 2020
I noticed the same too. I don't mind the reduction of speed but reducing it to a point that it is barely usable is annoying.
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by adsan: 4:25am On Sep 16, 2020
I just suffered same fate. The "unlimited night" is capped at 100gb fair usage policy. The double data daytime I get is more than the unlimited available at night.
If spectranet is going to cap their unlimited night plan , then there is no value gained in using spectranet.
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by adsan: 10:39am On Sep 16, 2020
adsan:
I just suffered same fate. The "unlimited night" is capped at 100gb fair usage policy. The double data daytime I get is more than the unlimited available at night.
If spectranet is going to cap their unlimited night plan , then there is no value gained in using spectranet.
Honestly, I feel decieved, I wish I had the resources to sue spectranet for wrong marketing or not communicating changes in policies on time. It's just wrong and they're lucky we're in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by Proffdada: 4:54am On Jan 04, 2021
I just experienced it

It's capped at 100gb

There's no need to patronize them if the "unlimited" is capped.

They never mentioned FUP in their T&C
Re: Spectranet Slowing Down Network Speeds During Free Data 1am-7am Period. by GloriousGbola: 4:00pm On Oct 06, 2022
Old thread but this is why I left them and returned to swift. They were doing this as far back as 2015. Their free period was already fked, as you would have to wake up at 1am to coordinate your downloads (scheduling downloads was hit and miss)

Then they started throttling. I called to complain and they said yes, they are throttling the free period. It was very glaring as normal speeds immediately resumed outside the free period.

Can't deal with that

(1) (Reply)

Show Your Phone Skills / Music Videos For Phones / Top 5 Smartphones With 20-megapixel Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.